Mashed potatoes  

1. 1. Mashed potatoes

• Skin mashed in is fine
    • NO SKIN! I want them fully peeled.
    • I don't care either way, I like them both if they are cooked correctly
    • I don't like them with or without skin so it doesn't matter
    • Other (please explain!)

How do you like them?

DH does mashed potatoes. He used to peel them but doesn't now. I like them with the skin in it, but we go to a friends' house every Thanksgiving and take them. They eat them but I wonder if they prefer it without.

What is more your preference?

Edited by DawnM

Ok, changed that. I guess I want to know personal preference, not popularity.

Thanks.

Dawn

You asked which is more popular. Mashed without skin. I don't care either way. I make them rarely (to the disappointment of my family), and I am perfectly happy boiling a potato, mashing it with a fork and putting butter, salt, pepper on that way.

I tend to peel them, but I don't mind the skins if they're cooked correctly. I'd probably pick a thin-skinned variety like red potatoes or Yukons if I were leaving the skin on. I tend to have russets on hand which I also bake; I think their skin might be a bit thick for mashed (though their skins are so yummy baked!!)

Just as long as they're made from actual potatoes and not something from a box...

I am not sure I have a pan large enough to cook 15 extra large potatoes (think large bag of russet potatoes from Costco) whole and enough pans to soak them in cold water for 5 minutes before peeling like that.

We barely fit them in our pot cut up.

Dawn

I don't care which way they're done but when I've taken mashed potatoes to family get togethers the peeled always go faster. Here's how I quickly peel potatoes http://pinterest.com/pin/166633254934018873/ It's # 14.

I prefer no skin, though I'll eat it with skin. In that case, I prefer a thin-skinned potato.

I like them both ways, but I always peel them now because I read that you cannot clean the pesticides off the skin of a potato. I do not know for certain if this is true, but we no longer eat the skins. However, if we were guests and someone served them with the skins mashed in, we would eat them that way.

How do you like them?

DH does mashed potatoes. He used to peel them but doesn't now. I like them with the skin in it, but we go to a friends' house every Thanksgiving and take them. They eat them but I wonder if they prefer it without.

What is more your preference?

With respect to that particular scenario, I would just ask. Won't hurt to peel them once a year if that's what others prefer.

No skin. It's a texture thing for me too...gross, gross, gross!

But I don't use a potato peeler to peel my potatoes either. I use a really sharp paring knife to cut the skin off. I can peel about two potatoes this way to my husband's one (he uses a peeler).

Also if you put a touch of minced garlic in the water while they are boiling, it gives it a really nice, not overtly garlicy, flavor. And a small sliver of butter in the water will keep your pot from boiling over if you have a lid on it.

I haven't heard of that. We do butter, salt, pepper, and milk.

I like them with no skin.:D

(Side question--do you guys add cream cheese to yours? My sil and my mom just loves them the way she fixes them. I'm just a butter and milk girl.)

I like them with no skin.:D

(Side question--do you guys add cream cheese to yours? My sil and my mom just loves them the way she fixes them. I'm just a butter and milk girl.)

Yes I put cream cheese, butter and cream in mine. I got that idea from Pioneer Woman's website and they are the best mashed potatoes I've ever had. They'll keep really well for leftovers too. When I used to do them with just butter and milk the leftovers would tend to dry out. With the cream cheese they don't, I actually can make them a day or two ahead and when I reheat them they'll taste just like fresh made.

I voted other. It depends on what type of potatoes are used. If they are the baby gold potatoes or yukon gold, then I don't mind if the skin is on. It is relatively thin. If using russet potatoes, then I would prefer that they are peeled completely.

:iagree:

Mmmmm, mashed potatoes ... :D

They probably baked them instead of boiling. That would give them the crispy skin. Sounds interesting, actually!

I put other. I typically like them without the skin but I once had some mashed potatoes with the skin and the skin was crispy. I liked it! I don't know how they did it but I liked it!

You eat RAW potatoes? I thought you weren't supposed to do that.

Dawn

I wondered about this myself. I have eaten bites of raw potato several times in my life with no ill affect. I like the taste and texture.

I found this article:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/aug/05/1f5focusm195324-pros-and-cons-munching-raw-potatoe/

I have no idea. :blush: I have been doing it since i can remember. My mom would stand at the sink to make mashed potatoes and shed always peel me one and i have just always done it. I also like eating raw spaghetti, well not so much anymore but i use to sneak it as a kid and when i thought id get caught, id hide it in the couch. :lol:

Other

Russet or other brown potato: no skin or only little bits

Red potato: 1/2 peeled and 1/2 not is fine but I don't like it with all the peels in.

I don't usually use Yukon for mashed, there is a flavor difference that I don't really care for. I will eat them if that is all I have, but I don't do it on purpose.

For serving guests, I would not leave the peel on.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap