Menu

Of all the reasons to think our family is odd....

Guest inoubliable

DH was talking to a coworker this morning. This coworker had wanted to get together last weekend but I was still coughing and feeling like general ick. Instead, we hung around the house and DH said that the most productive thing we did was to talk about where we wanted to rehang art in "the nursery". (We'd taken down anything on the walls when Sandy was blowing through and this is the last room we have to put stuff back up in.)

This guy then said, "Oh! Hey! I didn't realize you guys had another little one. Congratulations!" and DH was all :confused: until he realized that "the nursery" made this guy think we had a much younger child than we do. He cleared that up and his coworker kinda looked at him funny and said, "well that's weird that you'd call their bedroom that, then. Is that a minimalist thing?" :confused:

We've always referred to the little un's room as "the nursery". Ever since...it was a nursery. Is that really strange? It has nothing to do with us being minimalists. :confused: If someone said that in conversation, would you automatically think they were speaking about an infant's bedroom? For the record, DS7 and DS5 share that room and they don't object to having it termed "the nursery".

i think in the UK referring to a child's room as the nusery -- even when the kids are older -- would be common. but, yes, here in the US, if you told me you needed to paint the nursery -- actually if i knew your kids were older -- and you told me you were going to paint the nursery I'd assume you were expecting again.

I could see how that could get stuck but yes, I'd think you had a baby. When you said you didn't have a baby, I thought you meant that you hung art in your greenhouse and I thought, "Yes, that is definitely really strange." :lol:

I was also wondering if the conversation was going to lead to a greenhouse! I was surprised when it simply led to older kids :)

I could see how that could get stuck but yes, I'd think you had a baby. When you said you didn't have a baby, I thought you meant that you hung art in your greenhouse and I thought, "Yes, that is definitely really strange." :lol:

Same thought here. :D

:iagree:

That's exactly how I would have interpreted it as well.

i think in the UK referring to a child's room as the nusery -- even when the kids are older -- would be common. but, yes, here in the US, if you told me you needed to paint the nursery -- actually if i knew your kids were older -- and you told me you were going to paint the nursery I'd assume you were expecting again.

:lol: Well, I guess I'd better start calling it simply "their room" from now on. It must have just stuck after they outgrew the word. I certainly don't need people thinking that I'm expecting again!

don't do that! it's silly to change what you call it based on what other's think. just say it with a british accent next time. then you will really give them something to talk about! lol

Although that doesn't make you an odd family. That would be a normal use of the word in the UK, I believe. In the US, most people would think you have a baby if you have a nursery, and it sounds like an affectation to use it that way.

I was also wondering if the conversation was going to lead to a greenhouse! I was surprised when it simply led to older kids :)

:iagree: For Americans, a nursery is either an infant's room or a greenhouse. Unless you were from Britain, I'd think it odd of you to call a school-aged child's room a nursery.

Me too! LOL No baby, oh greenhouse! Nope. Wrong again. :D

FTR, I don't think he called YOU weird, he just thought it a weird use of the word, as do I.

:iagree: Reading your OP these are the exact thought processes that I went through as well.

I would assume that a nursery was the room of a baby not just a kids room.

And for all the people who say it would be common in the UK to call a kids room a nursery, it's not. People barely call a baby's room a nursery let alone an older kids room. I can only think it would be used as the permanent name of a room if you lived in a mansion or a villa and had an old nursery up in the roof with a room for the nursemaid.

We have rooms in our home that we have particular names for. The rest of the family knows what we mean when we say the name, ie. The Green Room. But I wouldn't call it the The Green Room to a complete stranger or even a co-worker. They wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Most people have an idea in their head about what "nursery" means. Yes, I would think you were talking about an infant's room if you said "nursery".

If you don't have any babies, maybe it's time to start calling it "the kids' room"?

Edited by Amy in NH

My family gets stuck on old room names too. We have an "exercise room" with no equipment in it, just a guest bed. And an "office" that is now a schoolroom.

We do, too. The "gameroom" was used as our business for so long that we still refer to it as "the office" even though it now houses all the toys and crafts, technically "playroom". The "playroom" was in the formal living room which currently sits empty but is still called the "playroom". The formal dining room was the "school room" for a couple of years but was changed to arts/crafts/projects when the business moved out of our house. It is still called the "school room". The powder room (1/2 bath) is blue so much that everyone (including family/friends/guests) refer to it as the "blue bathroom". No matter what we paint that bathroom, it will always be the "blue bathroom". :) I think the fact that this house has good square footage in all the wrong places leads to the confusion. :)

We had a "pumpkin room" in our old house. It had horrendously bad paneling, painted pumpkin orange, so the walls had the texture of a bumpy squash. So, until the day we moved out, it was the "pumpkin room"-even once it had been repainted. I'm sure that had people thinking we were odd, too.

DD had a friend over yesterday, and asked the boy and his mother if they'd like to see the "herpetarium". Definitely a double take until I explained that she'd set up her bedroom as a zoo for plastic and stuffed reptiles and amphibians!

I would assume that a nursery was the room of a baby not just a kids room.

And for all the people who say it would be common in the UK to call a kids room a nursery, it's not. People barely call a baby's room a nursery let alone an older kids room. I can only think it would be used as the permanent name of a room if you lived in a mansion or a villa and had an old nursery up in the roof with a room for the nursemaid.

:iagree: many people in the uk might think it pretentious. Nursery is more often used to mean a commercial daycare facility.