Menu

How much does public school cost our hs'ing family?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would I go about finding out this amount?

I'm just starting to look at our county's budget process and am curious as to how to decipher the answer to this question.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Find out what percentage of your property taxes (or however you are taxed for schools in your jurisdiction) goes to the school system. Ours are indicated in a pie chart.

Yep, it's in the property tax and sometimes it's a separate school tax (it is here).

We pay an insane amount and our schools are so bad. So money doesn't fix everything.

Same here. In the property tax (basic aid district), parcel tax and bond measures. So adding all up is substantial.

All I know is that I wish the government could give me the $37,000+ amount that would be my kids' per pupil allotment if they were in school here. Alas. I mean, I know it doesn't work that way... and I don't mind that we pay taxes for the schools. I believe all people should have access to education. But... oh... the waste and the cost and... oh.

Find out what percentage of your property taxes (or however you are taxed for schools in your jurisdiction) goes to the school system. Ours are indicated in a pie chart.

:iagree: -- Ours are indicated in percentages.

It's a LOT here. I want a refund :glare:

Yep -- 69% here. (*PLUS* a pretty big percentage of our state taxes come back to the district in per student allotments.)

We pay an insane amount and our schools are so bad. So money doesn't fix everything.

:iagree: -- you can't fix stupid.

All I know is that I wish the government could give me the $37,000+ amount that would be my kids' per pupil allotment if they were in school here. Alas. I mean, I know it doesn't work that way... and I don't mind that we pay taxes for the schools. I believe all people should have access to education. But... oh... the waste and the cost and... oh.

IF ONLY!!

Imagine the field trips abroad, all kinds of science equipment, any curriculum you want.

Our share shows up on our property tax but that doesn't include local sales tax or the extra fee on my electric bill every month. I'm sure there are more.

It's a LOT here. I want a refund :glare:

I'm sure this is tongue-in-cheek, but even the elderly and the childless pay for public schools, because even though it doesn't work for all of us, it is for the greater good of society, just as having a police force or fire department even though we may never need them personally in our lifetime.

And like others, when we pay property taxes, our tax bill and receipt from the county lists out how much goes to different expenses, including the local school district.

:iagree:Plus, I don't really want a completely uneducated populace voting on issues that affect me!

I'm sure this is tongue-in-cheek, but even the elderly and the childless pay for public schools, because even though it doesn't work for all of us, it is for the greater good of society, just as having a police force or fire department even though we may never need them personally in our lifetime.

And like others, when we pay property taxes, our tax bill and receipt from the county lists out how much goes to different expenses, including the local school district.

No, I really do not want to pay for public schools. I do not have a choice. But if I did, no I would not.

Or tallying up my total at a shop. Or fixing my wiring. Or... many other things.

Yeah but some schools are so terrible and have a HUGE percent of drop outs and illiteracy. WHY are people throwing more money at the system.

HOO boy time to bow out. This is one topic I am not able to discuss right now.

Yeah but some schools are so terrible and have a HUGE percent of drop outs and illiteracy. WHY are people throwing more money at the system.

HOO boy time to bow out. This is one topic I am not able to discuss right now.

I agree with that. The costs have ballooned in an absurd way. I think it's one of those things that's hard to tease out. I mean, I want to be against the wasteful spending, but not against the idea of education spending. I want to be against the teachers' unions, but not against the teachers. I want to be against the testing, but for more accountability, but directly to parents. I feel like in this political climate, it's hard to take a middle stance about this because everyone is either, "Hooray teachers, pay them whatever, they can do no wrong!" or "Teachers are lazy moochers! Down with teachers!" Ack. No. Just no.

I agree with that. The costs have ballooned in an absurd way. I think it's one of those things that's hard to tease out. I mean, I want to be against the wasteful spending, but not against the idea of education spending. I want to be against the teachers' unions, but not against the teachers. I want to be against the testing, but for more accountability, but directly to parents. I feel like in this political climate, it's hard to take a middle stance about this because everyone is either, "Hooray teachers, pay them whatever, they can do no wrong!" or "Teachers are lazy moochers! Down with teachers!" Ack. No. Just no.

I agree with every word. I do think the union is a problem. It is just very difficult because the changes that would have to be made sound very unromantic. Politicians are very good at making one's good idea sound like they are singling out only the most fortunate. Not that I've heard great ideas....I guess I mean more like misconstrue intentions.

It just sucks and I wish someone would figure it out because education in this country is going no where good.

In my state, schools get significant money from the county, state, and feds. I'm not sure whether they also get any of the local income tax.

I prefer not to think about it. I can't do anything about it and it will just give me a headache.

It makes me so crazy that they spend a zillion dollars per kid in our district and then beg for donations for basic school supplies like paper. Where is all of that money going??!! How is it the Super gets six figures, but they can't afford paper?!

:iagree: -- you wouldn't believe the list of "Requested Items to be Donated" my sister received. Paper Towel, Tissues, Hand Sanitizer, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Absolutely ridiculous...

:iagree:

I will be paying property taxes for 60+ years (I hope) and I will only have school-aged children for about 15 years. I paid property taxes long before I had children and I will be paying them long after my children have left home.

ETA - doesn't mean I agree with the way the money is spent. School districts are ridiculously top-heavy and I think that causes a lot of the problems.

Perhaps ask for an itemized property tax bill from your county/city? Mordor makes it easy. We get a bill each year for School Tax. :glare: In fact, I went to the bank earlier today for my annual Paying the School District for the Honor of Doing Their Job For Them ritual. :glare: That's in addition to our Property Tax bill, which will be due in January. :glare: It's insane, I tell ya!

I agree with every word. I do think the union is a problem. It is just very difficult because the changes that would have to be made sound very unromantic. Politicians are very good at making one's good idea sound like they are singling out only the most fortunate. Not that I've heard great ideas....I guess I mean more like misconstrue intentions.

It just sucks and I wish someone would figure it out because education in this country is going no where good.

Oh my gosh, here come the common sense moderates!!:D Let's form a club and take over!

It makes me so crazy that they spend a zillion dollars per kid in our district and then beg for donations for basic school supplies like paper. Where is all of that money going??!! !

Well, in our district, most of it is going straight into the pockets of the useless administrators. :glare: (<- I'm having one of those days where that smiley fits my mood perfectly!)

You should be getting a document every year from your county, telling you how your tax dollars are allocated. Ours is very detailed regarding how much goes to our local school district, community college, library, etc.

Wendi

We don't get that detailed breakdown. We do pay two separate rounds of property taxes. The smaller one goes to the county and local municipality. I don't mind that one. The larger (much larger) one goes to the school district. I mind that one very, very much. It's crazy and is a huge part of my mortgage payment. The schools are in the middle of the state's rankings, so not terrible but not spectactular either, and our administrators make a LOT more money than my husband does (and I can't imagine they work more hours than he does either).

Edited by happypamama

In my perfect world, those of us who live in school districts that are failing by their own standards, especially those districts where the vast majority of the population are too poor to afford private schools, it would be really nice if they'd let us keep our school property tax money just during the years we have to educate our own kids at home.

I'm happy to pay for failing schools for the rest of my natural life, just because I don't know where all these kids would go all day without the government day care, but just for these 20 years I need the money for my own kids' education. No sane person would argue that if I can't afford to homeschool there is a perfectly good ps option. Not here.

If the schools succeed, even by their own watered-down standards, a case can be made that nobody has to homeschool. But when the schools fail, why must I divert funds toward them when it's a financial hardship to educate my own?

Exactly.

I don't mind paying for school, even when we don't use it. But it is mind boggling how little accountability there is for such a huge expenditure.

And yeah, I do think they should be able to pay for paper and soap out of the school budget. Books and paper before smart boards and iPads please!

I don't understand what being a "home schooler" has to do with it. I mean, we'd pay the same taxes if we were childless. We'll pay them after our kids are grown. We'd pay them if our kids were in private school. Not using the schools is unrelated to whether or not one pays taxes. So what does home schooling have to do with it?

I don't understand what being a "home schooler" has to do with it. I mean, we'd pay the same taxes if we were childless. We'll pay them after our kids are grown. We'd pay them if our kids were in private school. Not using the schools is unrelated to whether or not one pays taxes. So what does home schooling have to do with it?

Do you mean why are homeschoolers more bothered about it? Well, homeschooling has no bearing on how much we pay in taxes of course but I think the reason we (or at least I) get so bothered about it is because that is money that I could 1. be using to enrich my own children's education or 2. Donating to educational causes that were actually working. I personally don't believe anyone should HAVE to pay into a system they don't use or don't believe is working. It is like forced charity to me (I am not speaking of the moral obligations we have towards children but just of the concept of forcing it). Anyways, I digress. On one hand I want to pay taxes because I believe it leaves less room for the government to come in and tell me that they need to make sure I am using my money the way they think I should, and on the other I am utterly against being forced to pay into a system that I am morally opposed to and that is failing on a grand scale. I hope I at least came close to answering your question somewhere in that rant LOL

Yeah, it is a lot, and I agree with you "moderates", 100%. Still though a lot of the public school services are available to us homeschoolers, at least in this area. DD just had a speech eval by our district's best speech pathologist, and will probably be qualifying for "free" speech therapy with the same person, so there's that. It is not entirely about test scores and ipads, etc. (don't get me started about the sorry state of the same district's 'gifted' program, though.)

I think for the people who home school primarily for academic and / or safety reasons, it's especially painful because (1) if the schools were doing their jobs adequately, the home schooling parent could presumably get a job and generate income during the hours the kids are in school (thus allowing a greater freedom to PAY those school taxes) and (2) in many cases, the "extra" things that the schools pay for are NOT extended to all kids in the district (things like therapies, technologies, sports, music lessons, etc. - some districts allow hs'ers access to these, but many do not). I pay for those things (many of them are EXTREMELY expensive), but when my own child needs them, I do not have access to the services I have *already paid* for (unless I am also willing to sacrifice their education and enroll them). I think the tax PAYERS should have the power in this equation.

In our town, kindergarten children are required more "square feet per pupil" than high schoolers, and that makes any renovations / additions / changes to the buildings ridiculously expensive. In my own home (and in real life, most of the time), we work with what we have, we're flexible, we use the backs of papers, and we conserve. I wish the school districts would be as careful with their resources.

The total cost is calculated based on the enrollment projections and staffing needs; by voluntarily home schooling, I am reducing the burden of the schools by (currently) 3 children - I would not say no to a tax refund acknowledging my valuable donation to the town. :D

Here's another way to look at the cost (though, it doesn't give you your family's contribution in the way looking at your property tax percentage does):

In 2011, on average, public schools spent just over $10,000 per student. Some states were less, some more. See census bureau article and attached report here. :blink:

No, I really do not want to pay for public schools. I do not have a choice. But if I did, no I would not.

Do you think ANYONE would choose to pay for public schools if they didn't absolutely have to? Do you think this world would be a better place if children and people in general had less education and supervision?

There are many things that I pay for that I don't always agree with. It is part of living in a society where other people have made decisions about how much money goes to the government and where it goes. If you really don't agree with how the schools in your area are run, then you need to be out there voting for school board positions (if they're elected), running for one of those school board positions, and educating yourself about where the money goes.

I think it is also necessary to realize that some people, some parents just DO NOT CARE. They don't care if their children are fed, they don't care if their children are nice, they don't care if their children are able to read. This doesn't mean that their children are better off without public school, most likely it helps them a lot, though not all of them. But school systems have to contend with those children and parents also.

Edited by Galatea

You do realize those per pupil allotments are averages. The majority of students cost a lot less. However, there are

students that get speech once a week

students that have a few periods of sp ed remediation a week

students in reading recovery or other remedial non sp ed programs

students in full day sp ed programs

students in full day sp ed programs at sp ed facilities

students in therapeutic boarding schools

students who have specialized nursing assistance during the school day at regular schools

students who attend STEM magnets (lab equipment and higher salaries) if the district offers

students who attend arts magnets (specialized facilities and staff) if the district offers

students who participate in specialized trade programs at the high school level

and more

again the vast majority of students are regular kids who do not get sp ed services and do not take advantage of any special programs. The majority of students cost significantly less than the per pupil allotment.

Do you think ANYONE would choose to pay for public schools if they didn't absolutely have to? Do you think this world would be a better place if children and people in general had less education and supervision?

Good questions!

There are many things that I pay for that I don't always agree with. It is part of living in a society where other people have made decisions about how much money goes to the government and where it goes. If you really don't agree with how the schools in your area are run, then you need to be out there voting for school board positions (if they're elected), running for one of those school board positions, and educating yourself about where the money goes.

I think it is also necessary to realize that some people, some parents just DO NOT CARE. They don't care if their children are fed, they don't care if their children are nice, they don't care if their children are able to read. This doesn't mean that their children are better off without public school, most likely it helps them a lot, though not all of them. But school systems have to contend with those children and parents also.

And there are also schools that are thriving and successful. I think a lot of homeschoolers are kidding themselves about how high the standards and achievements are at highly functioning schools.

Bill

I agree with all of this. I get to enjoy the benefits of public school on a daily basis when I go to the grocery store without being harassed by a group of pre teen hooligans. It also leads to lower prison populations and lower taxes to support them. People who are educated are less likely to get involved with crime. Some parents don't care and those children shouldn't be left without an education simply because they had the bad luck of being born to parents who don't care if they become educated. Public schools aren't perfect, not by a longshot, but they're necessary in society today.

Good questions!

And there are also schools that are thriving and successful. I think a lot of homeschoolers are kidding themselves about how high the standards and achievements are at highly functioning schools.

Bill

I don't see anyone denying that there ARE good public schools out there. But MOST of us do not have access to a highly functioning public school.

Do you mean why are homeschoolers more bothered about it? Well, homeschooling has no bearing on how much we pay in taxes of course but I think the reason we (or at least I) get so bothered about it is because that is money that I could 1. be using to enrich my own children's education or 2. Donating to educational causes that were actually working. I personally don't believe anyone should HAVE to pay into a system they don't use or don't believe is working. It is like forced charity to me (I am not speaking of the moral obligations we have towards children but just of the concept of forcing it). Anyways, I digress. On one hand I want to pay taxes because I believe it leaves less room for the government to come in and tell me that they need to make sure I am using my money the way they think I should, and on the other I am utterly against being forced to pay into a system that I am morally opposed to and that is failing on a grand scale. I hope I at least came close to answering your question somewhere in that rant LOL

You're morally opposed to public education?

The childless pay once. We pay into publuc school AND have to pay for our kid to be educated separately. Same with private schoolers. How abt if you are paying otherwise for elementary and hs, you are exempt.

Edit...ph doesn't allow me to fix mispellings...grrrr

Edited by Lisbeth
grrr

Schools are important to our entire society.

Everyone In the community shoulders the cost to run them.

Go to a society where kids are not getting an education and you would definitely see the value of education in your own community

I would agree if they weren't skewing so politically away from what a good % of Americans believe. I think our schools have a bit ( or a lot) of actual HARMFUL effects... On my dime. Which is carp.