Menu

THIS is why people make fun of Christians!!!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for the help. I have been sincerely trying to figure this out.

Same with some messianic friends who think that Christmas is evil because of its pagan origins. It's just a load of baloney. Halloween is not about worshiping evil, Christmas is not about worshiping evil. The Bible even contains examples of incorporating pagan culture to win people to Christ. It's not pagans we need to be afraid of, it's the judgment and ugliness in our own hearts. People just want something to villify.

If you google "Danielle Bean on trading in Reformation Day for Halloween" you will find a good article on Halloween from the Catholic perspective.

If they do their research they will find out it was never about worshiping evil or false gods. So you are fine either way.

There was also a sense that this was the time of year when the physical and supernatural worlds were closest and magical things could happen.[13][14] The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on Samhain eve. [15] To ward off these spirits, the Gaels built huge, symbolically regenerative bonfires and invoked the help of the gods through animal and perhaps even human sacrifice.[11] In the Western Isles of Scotland the Sluagh, or fairy host was regarded as composed of the souls of the dead flying through the air, and the feast of the dead at Hallowe'en was likewise the festival of the fairies.[16]

Also this: It was traditionally believed that the souls of the departed wandered the earth until All Saints' Day, and All Hallows' Eve provided one last chance for the dead to gain vengeance on their enemies before moving onto the next world.[20] To avoid being recognised by a soul, Christians would wear masks and costumes to disguise themselves, following the lighted candles set by others to guide their travel for worship the next day.[20] Today, this practice has been perpetuated through children guising (trick or treating).[20]

~Wikipedia History of Halloween

From Colossians 2:8: See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 Corinthians 10:18-21 1Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons.

1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

Trunk or treat. Sigh. That said, we're Christian and enjoy all the costumes, scary stuff, we all go trick or treating as a family.. You get the picture. As a teen, she used to hold a really scary Haunted House for the community. His birthday is a few days before, and he loves skulls, morbid things, pirates, Egyptian history, The Book of the Dead. He thinks Halloween haters are ridiculous. However, he thinks the trunk or treaters are worse ;)

I don't know...are your neighbors handing out birthday cake?
Ooo! I hope so! :D Yeah, probably not. But I'm hoping for a special treat this year, as my husband has offered to get me a nice cake, from a bakery and everything. Fancy!

(My MIL once handed out baggies of chicken salad. She claimed it was all she could come up with at the time. I'll bet someone nearby could whip up a little cake with a couple hours notice.)

:lol::lol:

Donning my flame retardant suit....

So as some of you know, I work at a Christian school. About 75% of our students are professing Christians or are being raised by Christian parents. Still, I would say we are moderately conservative and not "fundies". We do, however, have a few extremely conservative parents and we always keep them in mind when making decisions in an effort to avoid offending them.

So in our weekly leadership meeting we had to decide on the yearly request by some group or another to have ... You guessed it... A Halloween party on campus.

Sigh.

Well, the usual discussion ensued. Honestly, maybe I am just too old and cranky but this topic is so old and boring. The ideas...

Let's not call it a Halloween party. We'll just say it is a costume party! (really? A costume party, with candy, coincidentally held on or very near Oct. 31? If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...)

Let's have a harvest party! (really? When is the last time any of us harvested anything and if you say we are harvesting souls I will punch you in the throat.)

But my favorite... Let's call it a Hallelujah party! (A WHAT? Are you serious??? A hallelujah party??? What is a hallelujah party? Honestly, it makes me embarassed to be associated with Christians when they say stuff like that. And we wonder why people make fun of us!!! I know! Let's all dress up like ghosts and we will call it a Halle-BOO-jah party! No one will suspect! They will think we are still holy! I think I am going to hurl. :banghead: )

At least those who have reformation parties are celebrating an actual thing!

Seriously, I don't care if you don't celebrate Halloween. I don't celebrate it because costumes are too expensive here and I am too lazy to make one. If you feel strongly about it, fine.

But don't make up some RIDICULOUS alternate name for the party and then pretend like you are not "really" celebrating Halloween. Just buy some candy and eat it without guilt because that's all we really want anyways. And stop EMBARASSING the rest of us. :glare:

I am sure this offends some of you but I am too exhausted from today's meeting about this topic to really care that much. Maybe tomorrow... :tongue_smilie:

Bahahaha! Thank you SO much for this post. Made me lol while I'm dealing with this issue myself. :lol:

If you're having a get-together on October 31 and it's not your 50th wedding anniversary or your birthday, it's a Halloween Party.

Like the costumes and candy weren't already dead giveaways. ;)

End of story.

I have a friend who got married on Halloween and gave birth to her daughter the following Halloween.

:iagree: I think Harvest parties are cool.... "celebrating Halloween" is celebrating evil to me. Dressing in silly costumes, handing out candy, carving pumpkins, hayrack rides... I can do those without glorifying things I consider evil.

This is how I feel as well. My family isnt celebrating the roots of Halloween. Whatever it originally meant has changed for most people (this is true for so many things!). Some people tell me christmas trees are evil or easter eggs are satanic. Again, that is not a social norm. Halloween is a time when we go to a festival that is put on by the local firemen to raise money. Our kids dress up in costumes that are fun and not scary. We play games, have a hayride, do a cake walk. We eat food and enjoy our family time. In places we have lived previously, we enjoyed fall festivals. They were free and fun! It bothers me when other Christians imply my walk with God is somehow less than theirs for making choices that dont affirm their own. In those situations, if we actually start to compare, there are other areas that they seem rather hypocritical in almost always. i find it sad that these types of things create so much judgment and division.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

:iagree: I think Harvest parties are cool.... "celebrating Halloween" is celebrating evil to me. Dressing in silly costumes, handing out candy, carving pumpkins, hayrack rides... I can do those without glorifying things I consider evil.

That's me, evil to the core. *snort* :rolleyes: Nothing summons Satan to a party like tiny little packages of Smarties.

:chillpill: I think you're the one who needs to be embarassed for your poor behavior and witness by publicly gossiping about your fellow brothers & sisters in Christ. I don't agree with them but I agree with you even less. Seems you like to point out how so many Christians are doing things you disagree with in order to make yourself more popular with fringe/nominal Christians or non Christians. Feel better? :glare:

Yikes.

While I do not always agree with Heather's threads... I think she is using the WTM boards for stress release or support. (My only genuine concern for Heather is that a parent or staff member of her private school can trace these posts on Google or such. But Heather is a big girl and I think she can deal with that issue.)

You need to :chillpill:, in my opinion. :D Feel free to ignore threads if it offends you or whatever. Variety is the spice of life here on the WTM forums.

There was also a sense that this was the time of year when the physical and supernatural worlds were closest and magical things could happen.[13][14] The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on Samhain eve. [15] To ward off these spirits, the Gaels built huge, symbolically regenerative bonfires and invoked the help of the gods through animal and perhaps even human sacrifice.[11] In the Western Isles of Scotland the Sluagh, or fairy host was regarded as composed of the souls of the dead flying through the air, and the feast of the dead at Hallowe'en was likewise the festival of the fairies.[16]

Also this: It was traditionally believed that the souls of the departed wandered the earth until All Saints' Day, and All Hallows' Eve provided one last chance for the dead to gain vengeance on their enemies before moving onto the next world.[20] To avoid being recognised by a soul, Christians would wear masks and costumes to disguise themselves, following the lighted candles set by others to guide their travel for worship the next day.[20] Today, this practice has been perpetuated through children guising (trick or treating).[20]

From Colossians 2:8: See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 Corinthians 10:18-21 1Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons.

Do you let your children have candles on their birthday cake? Letting them make a wish?

You know this is magic, right?

Are you allowing them to practice pagan wiles and therefore insulting your deity?

Or, are you just engaging in a fun tradition?

I agree with you. Laughing about the HalleBOOjah party.

Anyway, why don't you just have a Reformation party, if it is a Christian school (or will that offend some)?

Not all Christians are Protestants.

:001_huh: That's supposed to be a costume? :001_huh:

I about fell on the floor laughing.

Sorry, your source is incorrect. (That is the problem with Wiki) There was no feast of Hallowe'en (or Halloween) celebrated by Pagans of Europe. If Celts celebrated anything they celebrated Samhain. Halloween is RC's All Hallows Eve, followed by The Feast of All Saints. (Actually a solemnity not a feast) The word Hallowe'een is a ba$tardization of the words All Hallows Eve.

And no, it wasn't the Christians (or at least not only the Christians) who would wear the masks to disguise themselves when traveling after dark to church or not. Samhain is older than Christianity.

You really need to quote a plausible source or do a bit of research yourself into the subject.

Perhaps you should research the roots of ancient harvest parties.

My FAVORITE name so far for a "Halloween Party" (drum roll please.............)

HOLY GHOST WEENIE ROAST

Some church in the Raleigh/Durham area does this. I used to hear it on the radio every year.

I think "Fall Party" or "Fall Carnival" suffices....if you must do it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is the best name ever!

This is my third October at the Hive and this is my favorite controversial Halloween thread. :) Totally agree, Heather, but then again, I'm one of those "nominal" Christians who gets my kids evil costumes and lets them trick or treat. ;)

HOLY GHOST WEENIE ROAST

Some church in the Raleigh/Durham area does this. I used to hear it on the radio every year.

I'm an atheist, and I'm totally stealing this for my Halloween Party this year. Awesome. :lol:

I don't have a problem with harvest parties, and I don't think that makes me not authentic. However, I do live in the midwest, and harvest is still a way of life here... even in the cities, it's not as if you're far removed from it.

We don't do haunted houses or scary/gross costumes, but that's us. I think church parties and "trunk or treat" and things like that let more people participate... people who don't like being around the "ghoulish" stuff, or people with small children who might be easily frightened.

I think "Halle-boo-jah" party takes things too far into the "me thinks they doth protest too much" category, though. :)

HOLY GHOST WEENIE ROAST

I think "Fall Party" or "Fall Carnival" suffices....if you must do it.

:lol:

:001_huh: I'm supposed to wear something for ritual? :001_huh:

I used to joke with a wiccan friend back when I became a Christian that I had no choice, everyone is much better off if I am a conservative Christian with modest cloths than heading off to Wiccan rituals like she was in the buff.

But don't make up some RIDICULOUS alternate name for the party and then pretend like you are not "really" celebrating Halloween. Just buy some candy and eat it without guilt because that's all we really want anyways. And stop EMBARASSING the rest of us. :glare:

I just read this paragraph in David Tennant's voice. This is a rant that is Doctor worthy.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Go buy a bag or two of candy and watch movies. DH (not the kids) is who insists on trick or treating...so when he's not in town for it we take the short cut and get the GOOD stuff for ourselves. :tongue_smilie:

I personally think Halloween is fun and I don't have a problem with people celebrating it (Preface)

But.....What's wrong with enjoying "halloween" but toning it down a little?

Some kids need a "milder" version. And this satifies the parents. Its probably not wise for a Christian school to have a bunch a kids in witches costumes, etc. to at school. It seems appropriate then for people who want to highlight the enjoyable things of halloween like candy, fun, family, games, etc. What's wrong with that?

As an administrator, (the OP) you should know you go where your people want to go.

It's the "people's" school right? If that's where they want to go, then recognize it and celebrate it instead of bash them and Christians on this board.

That is kind of a bad thing IMO.

Edited by 2boysmom

The problem is we have for too long conformed to this world. We think we are missing out on something or our kids are missing out if we don't celebrate pagan holidays. If there is one thing I've learned over the past few years it is that living a Christian life is not about storing up as much happiness on Earth as can be desired and chasing after our dreams ... it is about following what God has commanded us and where He is leading. We are no better off than the Israelites in most of the Old Testament worshipping Idols at every turn ... why are we STILL worshipping idols? As my 2nd grader would say - why are they still worshipping idols, haven't they learned not to do that?

*sigh*

And some non-Christians would say that Christians worship idols...ALL Christians.

'Your Wikipedia links don't suport any evil worshipping. I respect the choice not celebrate it in regards to the idol argument though. Not my takr but I get it

Edited by WishboneDawn

This is my third October at the Hive and this is my favorite controversial Halloween thread. :) Totally agree, Heather, but then again, I'm one of those "nominal" Christians who gets my kids evil costumes and lets them trick or treat. ;)

So funny b/c I thought I was one of those fringe/nominal Christians b/c I agree with Heather and find the whole re-naming of Halloween silly. And yet we don't do anything for Halloween. We're like the previous poster who said her family watched a movie. I think this years thread has managed to add a new twist on the conversation. Now I know that you can be a nominal Christian if you do celebrate Halloween and if you don't. The non-halloweeners and the pro-halloweeners have been brought together!:hurray:

PS I usually just don't comment lest I offend anyone, but I couldn't resist. I have mixed feelings on the whole thing anyway.....but I do share a lot of the frustrations Heather expressed in her original post.

ETA: I can see the point of people wanting something toned down for young kids who might be scared. I hadn't thought about that b/c we just didn't bother when our kids were young.