Menu

THIS is why people make fun of Christians!!!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek::svengo:

Oh good grief.

Just call it a Halloween party for crying out loud. If you don't DO Halloween, don't DO it. If you DO do Halloween, then DO it.

Thank you!

And to paintedlady, I'm not sure where you get off getting to decide I'm "fringe", "nominal", or non-Christian. I happen to agree with Heather that Christians don't do themselves any favors by not being authentic. Since Heather is popular with me, I do take issue with your post which apparently labels me as some fringe element.

We don't do Halloween. We have Christian friends that do. None of us PRETEND to be doing something else when we are really doing the other.

Faith

No it's not. One doesn't choose (arguably anyway) to be fat. One chooses to be Christian. And she's not making a joke or making fun of them, she's sharing a frustration. Sheesh.

And this is one of my pet peeves as a former minister and a devout (at least I try) follower of Christ. Christians who are not consistent or authentic do make others look bad. After all, why consider a faith whose followers talk the talk but don't walk to the walk. If you believe Halloween is ok, celebrate it and great. If you don't, don't give into cultural temptation and call it something else so you can still have your cake and eat it too.

It's entirely different from that. I'll see if I can think of an apt analogy.

My Christianity happens to be a gland problem.

I don't think all Fall Celebrations needed to be given over to Halloween just because it's the most prominent thing going on in our culture. I don't think it's hypocritical to want to celebrate *something* in the Fall, (didn't the pioneers do that?) and if Halloween is on your list of "don'ts" I don't think it makes Christians look bad to celebrate something else. Isn't that how Christmas got started where it is -- to replace something Christians no longer wanted to celebrate?

And why would it be okay to make fun of people who *choose* to do or believe something? Because if the scorn gets loud enough they can always quit?

This thread is just what I needed today. :lol: Just ADMIT that costumes and candy are harmless and enjoy it. Changing the name doesn't magic it into something more virtuous!

Well let's have a Saturnalia party but call it Christmas. And if it catches on, it just might replace Saturnalia.

:lol:

:chillpill: I think you're the one who needs to be embarassed for your poor behavior and witness by publicly gossiping about your fellow brothers & sisters in Christ. I don't agree with them but I agree with you even less. Seems you like to point out how so many Christians are doing things you disagree with in order to make yourself more popular with fringe/nominal Christians or non Christians. Feel better? :glare:

I think that a safe place to vent is one of the MANY services The Hive provides. Of course, that comes with getting uncensored opinion in return, but it's worth it to have a place to release the steam so that you don't go off in rea life.

I'd LOVE to see your lst of what makes one a Fringe/nominal Christian. Agreeing with the original thread SURELY can't be the one requirement! That's so random!

Let's have a harvest party! (really? When is the last time any of us harvested anything and if you say we are harvesting souls I will punch you in the throat.)

:lol::lol::lol: Your entire post made me laugh, but especially the above quote. Thanks for bringing some humor to this dreary, gray day :D

I don't think all Fall Celebrations needed to be given over to Halloween just because it's the most prominent thing going on in our culture. I don't think it's hypocritical to want to celebrate *something* in the Fall, (didn't the pioneers do that?) and if Halloween is on your list of "don'ts" I don't think it makes Christians look bad to celebrate something else. Isn't that how Christmas got started where it is -- to replace something Christians no longer wanted to celebrate?

And why would it be okay to make fun of people who *choose* to do or believe something? Because if the scorn gets loud enough they can always quit?

Sigh. Again. There is no making fun of. Simply sharing a frustration.

And of course it is fine to celebrate a fall festival. But if it's a fall festival with ghouls and ghosts and costumes and bats and candy....that still seems like Halloween. A fall festival with games and even candy and celebrating the harvest - that's different. The issue again was simply renaming a Halloween party so that one could say they weren't celebrating Halloween while actually doing all the things that are associated with it.

This is clearly an issue for me - Christian authenticity. And I've hijacked Heather's thread. :) So maybe I should back slowly away from the computer for a while. :lol:

:chillpill: I think you're the one who needs to be embarassed for your poor behavior and witness by publicly gossiping about your fellow brothers & sisters in Christ. I don't agree with them but I agree with you even less. Seems you like to point out how so many Christians are doing things you disagree with in order to make yourself more popular with fringe/nominal Christians or non Christians. Feel better? :glare:

gos·sip/ˈgäsip/

Noun:Casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.

She is presenting facts that bother her in a way that does not indicate exactly who she is speaking of. Gossip is meant to be harmful. This is not at all what she is doing.

But my favorite... Let's call it a Hallelujah party! (A WHAT? Are you serious??? A hallelujah party??? What is a hallelujah party? Honestly, it makes me embarassed to be associated with Christians when they say stuff like that. And we wonder why people make fun of us!!! I know! Let's all dress up like ghosts and we will call it a Halle-BOO-jah party! No one will suspect! They will think we are still holy! I think I am going to hurl. :banghead: )

:lol::lol: This is really, really cheesy. I'm extremely tolerant, and I'm not one to make fun of *anything* but I would certainly think anyone who did this was being ridiculous. I don't care what religion you are, I'm just generally opposed to cheesy plays-on-words.

I really think any of the other suggestions would be fine. Actually, I'm not one to say what would be fine. Go with whatever the majority of your parents want and to heck with the rest of us. I'm sure people make fun of me for doing some of the things I do, but I'm okay with that. I'm sure whatever it's called, the kids will have fun. :)

Edited by Element

At our old church, we celebrated All Saint's Day. The kids could come dressed as an animal, biblical person or other saint. They went around to various "stations," where an adult dressed as a saint told them about his/her life, and they got a treat relating to the saint. At some stations, they did a craft. We had St Nicholas (got a candy cane), St Lucia (got a cinnamon bun and made a wreath or a candle--can't remember), St Peter (key-shaped cookie), Mary (made a little manger with a tiny baby, hay and part of a cut-up toilet paper tube), St Francis (made a peanut butter bird feeder) and a couple others.

It was an appropriate and authentic alternative to a Halloween party.

I absolutely LOVE this idea!

<snipped>

You are right Heather, "If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck......" it probably isn't a chicken!

Faith

Of COURSE it's a chicken! It's all dressed up in a duck costume for the Halle-Boo-ia party, thankful that it isn't a Holy Ghost Chicken Roast. :leaving:

Well let's have a Saturnalia party but call it Christmas. And if it catches on, it just might replace Saturnalia.

We love costumes here- even Diamond dresses up. So does Mr Rebel Yell. We've never done any scary/evil/obscene costumes- mostly superheroes. You know, those impossible to find female superheroes that aren't skanky versions of male superheroes? :glare: I pass out bags of great candy & a Bible comic.

And I agree with Heather- it's a Halloween event or it isn't. I'm also 100% in favor of a friendly alternative to trick-or-treating (no scary costumes & gruesome lawn decorations) but I don't like the "we're not celebrating this bad thing because we gave it a churchy name" thing. Sadly, many people do make fun of it. I know secular people who have no problem with Christians celebrating Halloween but find it odd when they do everything Halloweeny but with a cute little crosses and clever acronyms.

This.

However, I would add that the same would go for Christmas.

Yes, I know, I know. Many here don't agree with me. But that's how I feel. That's me being authentic. :001_smile:

Yes, but I think Christmas is Christian. I think the hype surrounding it (gifts, music, food, trees) is cultural fun and not anti-God.

Susan

This reminds me of my mother's family, who are of a certain Christian denomination, who have cake, presents and decorations on their children's birthdays but say they aren't celebrating the birthday (because according to their beliefs they aren't supposed to celebrate)...just having a family get together.:001_huh: I wouldn't care except that they then condemn those who do the same thing but call it a birthday party and sing 'Happy Birthday'. It's a fine line isn't it?

Could you do an All Hallow's Eve party? I've been to an All Saints party that was a lot of fun with a bunch of carnival games with a saints theme and halloween candy as prizes.

Could you move the party to Mardi Gras instead? That's a good opportunity to dress up and party but it's not as fraught as Halloween.

I've got to admit that I want to go to the Holy Ghost Weenie Roast! :D

I wouldn't care except that they then condemn those who do the same thing but call it a birthday party and sing 'Happy Birthday'. It's a fine line isn't it?

That is my issue. When people are so vocal and judgmental and live a life filled with irony (i.e. noticing the speck in a brother's eye when they have a telephone pole sticking out of their own). I get annoyed.

Susan

Because it makes them look ridiculous. On the one hand, they work themselves into a tizzy over non-Christians celebrating Christmas without the religious component, declaring a "war on Christmas" every time someone wishes them a Happy Holiday. Then, on the other, they decide they want to get in on the fun on Halloween, and so celebrate the holiday stripped of its Pagan origins.

Wee bit hypocritical, this Pagan thinks.

(Though I don't think I could resist the temptation to attend a "Holy Ghost weenie roast" just so that when people asked what I did for Halloween, I could say I was at a "Holy Ghost weenie roast." :D)

Your snark is completely off the mark. :001_rolleyes:

Heather is popular with me for our shared passion for fashion -- specifically shoes and handbags.

I don't think Heather was against an alternate fall celebration She was frustrated by the way they were essentially doing a Halloween party but masking as something else. A Harvest party would be an awesome alternative, hay rides, carving gourds, making scarecrows, IF it were truly celebrating a harvest. She's in Malaysia though, they don't have a harvest in that sense.

Someone suggested an All Saints day celebration. I think that would be a neat idea to.

But celebrating a holiday in everything but name implies a certain reactionary thoughtlessness that's everywhere these days, not just Christianity. In fact, I think the one thing I'd disagree with Heather on is that this is a Christian thing. I see it everywhere these days.

Our church does a yearly and huge Reformation Carnival. Costumes and games and candy, as well as mazes and fun Reformation themed activities.

We also have no aversion to trick or treating. Depending on when I have this baby the kids may miss the carnival and just trick or treat, or just do the carnival. :tongue_smilie:

Let's have a harvest party! (really? When is the last time any of us harvested anything and if you say we are harvesting souls I will punch you in the throat.)

How about calling it an "All Hallow's Eve" Party but shortening it to "Halloween"?

:lol::lol::lol:

Your snark is completely off the mark. :001_rolleyes:

Heather is popular with me for our shared passion for fashion -- specifically shoes and handbags.

Definitely. And my secret desire to be an amazon princess with flowing green locks that exude "fear me" to anyone who looks at me.

Hey! Maybe I can dress up like one at our Holy Ghost Weenie Roast!

Edited by Heather in NC

And of course it is fine to celebrate a fall festival. But if it's a fall festival with ghouls and ghosts and costumes and bats and candy....that still seems like Halloween. A fall festival with games and even candy and celebrating the harvest - that's different. The issue again was simply renaming a Halloween party so that one could say they weren't celebrating Halloween while actually doing all the things that are associated with it.

the church fall festivals I have been DON'T have ghouls, ghosts, or bats. (or cobwebs or scary noises or anything) Just costumes, carnival games, and candy.

That's what makes them easier for me to take my kids too. I don't see anything hypocritical or weird about calling them Fall Festival. Or not holding them on "Halloween Eve" but rather a convenient Saturday during the month of October (and once November) It tells -me- it won't have any of the scary stuff that is the part of Halloween I want to stay away from.

the church fall festivals I have been DON'T have ghouls, ghosts, or bats. (or cobwebs or scary noises or anything) Just costumes, carnival games, and candy.

That's what makes them easier for me to take my kids too. I don't see anything hypocritical or weird about calling them Fall Festival. Or not holding them on "Halloween Eve" but rather a convenient Saturday during the month of October (and once November) It tells -me- it won't have any of the scary stuff that is the part of Halloween I want to stay away from.

Most of the fall festival we have attended are considered a community outreach. Therefore, many people from the community attend (non Christian) and the kids wear halloween costumes. some of which are scary sometimes. I didn't see it any less filtered than what we were exposed too in our neighborhood. Most homes aren't scary either. I think we have 2 in our entire neighborhood that do that...but even still, it is in good fun. Not to be satanic or mean. We avoid those homes though because my kids would be too scared.

Susan

Because it makes them look ridiculous. On the one hand, they work themselves into a tizzy over non-Christians celebrating Christmas without the religious component, declaring a "war on Christmas" every time someone wishes them a Happy Holiday. Then, on the other, they decide they want to get in on the fun on Halloween, and so celebrate the holiday stripped of its Pagan origins.

(Though I don't think I could resist the temptation to attend a "Holy Ghost weenie roast" just so that when people asked what I did for Halloween, I could say I was at a "Holy Ghost weenie roast." :D)

OMG THIS! Totally THIS!!

And now I SO want to have a Holy Ghost Weenie Roast! I can just imagine the fun I'd have creating the invitations!! And the food possibilities!!!

astrid

Well, in the US the Halloween tradition really stems from the Victorian version of the holiday, which was about putting Satan in his place. Dressing up like devils, ghosts, etc to show that those things did not scare you and had no power over you as a Christian. I might have posted this last year...right now my google search is bringing up crazy pages, lol.

:lol: I have a couple of coupons for Applegate Hotdogs. I am going to do that roast! lol

I love Halloween. Such a fun, easy holiday. I am celebrating twice this year. We just got back from Micky's Not So Scary Halloween Party, so yes, we like Halloween. ftr, it was our first time at WDW for this event. It was *awesome*. I can't believe we've been missing it! I am going to try to change that!

Perhaps it's the ghoulish aspect of Halloween that puts some people off. (especially when there are so many real-life examples of ghoulish behavior, such as the recent spate of face-eating "zombies") Our kids celebrate Halloween and go trick-or-treating. We don't let them dress up as anything ghoulish or vulgar. This year I have one Elf Warrior and one Bottle of Ketchup.

Some people believe that Halloween (at it's currently celebrated) has demonic overtones.

This is us. We happened upon trick or treating at the zoo one year, and have gone every year since, because it is geared towards children and it's not ghoulish or scary at all. Dressing up for the kids is SO much fun! While we don't like Halloween, one of the big reasons we didn't do it was because our oldest was scared to death of all the stuff at the stores. Seriously, until she was probably 9 yr. we couldn't take her to almost any store starting in early September. Yeah, I could see her running around in the DARK, not knowing what was around the corner. <anxiety sucks>

Our church has a harvest festival every year, but it is geared towards harvest. Carmel apples, hayrides, bobbing for apples, scarecrows, etc. they do crafts and eating contests, It's a great family thing. Moms talk, kids run like nuts and play.

Christian sisters who are offended at what Heather wrote in her OP, will you PLEASE stop and read what Mergath wrote here!

Mergath, THANK YOU for sharing this. You are SO right on the mark.

Christian sisters who are offended at what Heather wrote in her OP, will you PLEASE stop and read what Mergath wrote here!

Mergath, THANK YOU for sharing this. You are SO right on the mark.

:iagree:

Yes, she is! It's what us non-churchy folk have been saying for years.

astrid

Well, in the US the Halloween tradition really stems from the Victorian version of the holiday, which was about putting Satan in his place. Dressing up like devils, ghosts, etc to show that those things did not scare you and had no power over you as a Christian. I might have posted this last year...right now my google search is bringing up crazy pages, lol.

Yeah, as with most holidays, there are a million theories about which origin our current incarnation of it actually comes from. Everyone who celebrated it had to get the idea from somewhere.

Though I'm guessing that donning a "Sexy Witch" costume from Target and doing Jello shots most likely came from a tradition other than the Victorian one. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think Heather was against an alternate fall celebration She was frustrated by the way they were essentially doing a Halloween party but masking as something else. A Harvest party would be an awesome alternative, hay rides, carving gourds, making scarecrows, IF it were truly celebrating a harvest. She's in Malaysia though, they don't have a harvest in that sense.

Someone suggested an All Saints day celebration. I think that would be a neat idea to.

But celebrating a holiday in everything but name implies a certain reactionary thoughtlessness that's everywhere these days, not just Christianity. In fact, I think the one thing I'd disagree with Heather on is that this is a Christian thing. I see it everywhere these days.

Well it's self-delusional, then, if they're just celebrating Halloween with a different title. In that case -- so what? They're doing just what everyone else is doing, celebrating Halloween, only with a different title and calling it whatever they want. Think of it as a "holiday party" -- isn't that how corporate and academic Ameria deal with the culture's desire to celebrate Christmas in a politically correct way?

Obese people order Big Macs and diet Cokes. But we don't start threads making fun of them (or implying that "others" are making fun of them and our thread is not). Didn't George Carlin say no one can make it through the day without a good rationalization?

:cheers2: