Menu

do you do a date night with your husband?

Not regularly. We are very lucky that my mom lives a couple blocks away and takes the kids overnight when we do have date nights. It's hard with all the kids' activities to get time. When we do, our favorite thing is antique shopping and dinner. Then just hanging out at night.

We have several friends who are musicians. We sometimes catch one of their gigs. We live in Las Vegas, but never hit the strip and shows are crazy expensive. But when we were younger, we loved to hang out in the Forum shops at Caesar's Palace and watch the tourists. We'd nurse a drink and count fanny packs and gold shoes. Whoever got the highest number won bragging rights.

We also like Bingo. We make up characters and maintain them throughout the bingo sessions.

We do, every other week. We switch off weeks with my best friend and her husband. We live in a small town. Usually we go out to eat or coffee. If the weather is nice we will go to a well lit park and walk. We have even been known to just walk around Walmart. Sometimes we like to go back home and enjoy some alone time ;). It is just nice being together without interruption.

Well, we have date night every week, but it looks a little different. Every Thursday the kids go to bed early and my husband picks us up something to eat, like Subway or Chinese that the kids don't like, and maybe some ice cream. Then we watch a movie and eat. There is NO talk about kids, school, housework, to do list or work. Usually Thursday morning I'll check out the headlines and find a few things to talk about. We will watch Survivor and the Amazing race online if it is time for them, or else we watch a movie, eat and enjoy some grown up drinks.

Yep, we have moved mountains to stay close to my parents to have a family unit to grow up with. My kids have a sleepover every single Friday night and spend Saturday there. THey have a dozen friends on the block (I lived there before I was married too) and each have their BEST friends within 3 houses. It's practically our second home.

DH and I stay up way too late on Friday and party, then DH sleeps in and I go hang out and visit mom, and my dad and I are food shopping buddies. And he loves IKEA and will drive me there.

I heart my parents despite the times they drive me nuts.

Our marriage turned around once we started having one night to spend time together. And it literally is the only time we have together alone.

We live in a rural area as well. We'll drive 30 miles to the nearest large city & go to a movie or go out to eat. Sometimes we go shopping. Sometimes our children will stay overnight with family & hubby and I will have a romantic evening at home. We try to do this at least once every 3-4 months.

We have season tickets to the Shakespeare Theater. It forces us to go out. We usually try to get dinner first to make it a proper date. And sometimes fancy cupcakes after. :)

It's always stressful to get sitting (we have a couple of sitters to call on, sometimes the kids spend the night somewhere...) but it's worth it.

We had a date night every week when the kids were small. Now that 2 are away at college and the youngest is busy with sports and friends and old enough to stay home alone we don't go out much. :001_huh: we go for a run, maybe, and stop for Thai food take out to bring home and eat on the couch. It is an unexpected turn of events.

Sometimes we go out to eat (often to exotic locales such as Shake and Steak or the IKEA restaurant), often, it's grocery shopping or other shopping that needs to be done. The kids are so busy right now that it's usually between dropping them off and picking them up from some activity (where either they're all gone, or one of our teens is home with the one who can't be left on her own). Or, if somehow neither of the teens has class or work during the day, I might go meet dh for lunch -- he works in one of those new, fancy, open-air malls. Sometimes that is just Subway and then shopping for something we need, but sometimes there are good discounts at fancy places for employees of the companies who lease office space in the upper floors like dh (his office is right over Maggianos, and they bring up coupons).

DH and I have date night every week....but ours is at home, always on Monday night. We make dinner together and get the kids settled for their own time together (which means they get to watch a couple of their fave tv shows and munch dinner together). Then we sit at the table and have dinner together, which always includes a special dessert that we made. Then we'll play a game together, a board game, a video game or work on our puzzle (we love to do puzzles together after the kids go to bed) and then we'll watch a movie together. Usually about half way through the movie we'll stop to make some popcorn and candy. We have a really large flat screen in our family room, which offers a pretty authentic movie going experience. We justified the cost of this because we don't have cable and we almost never go to the theater. Then after the kids go to bed...maybe a little TeA time. :) We love how low key and inexpensive this is, it means we get to do this every week.

We have a date every week. My dd is 12 so she loves earning the cash for babysitting. We usually go sat afternoon and we will do a variety of things. Sometimes we go for ice cream, sometimes a nice sit down lunch, sometimes a drive, sometimes we get mcdonald's and go to the lookout by our house (we are lucky enough to live by the beach). We stopped trying to make it a big production and focused on just doing something. When we miss a week we are bickering by the weekend so we try not to miss.

Yes, we do now. My marriage has improved 100% since we started doing this. Sometimes we go to a friend's, sometimes we go shopping, and one time we stayed in (locked ourselves in our room and watched a non-kid movie.)

We are now first and foremost a married couple, not parents. We spent many years being "child-centered" but not anymore. We still do stuff with our kids, we think through decisions keeping their best interests in mind, etc.

Sooner than you think the kids will be gone and only the marriage will be left.:D

We did faithfully. My husband passed away suddenly last summer and our weekly date nights were one of the things that helped us have such a great relationship. We had our favorite spots -- usually somewhere we could talk over a good meal and then be alone. :001_smile:

Lisa

:grouphug:

You have inspired me to really treasure and protect our time together.

We did faithfully. My husband passed away suddenly last summer and our weekly date nights were one of the things that helped us have such a great relationship. We had our favorite spots -- usually somewhere we could talk over a good meal and then be alone. :001_smile:

Lisa

:grouphug:

You have inspired me to really treasure and protect our time together.

:iagree: For sure. :grouphug:

A few times a month.

We mostly go for walks, roller skating, record stores, sometimes movies, occasionally a cheap dinner, coffee shop etc. Sometimes we go on a bike ride without the kids.

Our favorite babysitting arrangement is one where the kids are gone and we get to be home alone, in quiet.

I would love to start having a date night with my husband. What do you do...where do you go? We live in a rural area and there aren't many options...so I am curious as to how to do this. thoughts???

Every other weekend we have Thursday night and Friday night childfree...we usually veg in our room--we have not even been married 2 years..

We just moved about 45 minutes from a fair size city...hoping to get out more when dh is feeling better and gets back to work.

Well.... we don't call them "date nights".... nor do we go out on specific nights/days on a regular basis but we go out together, sans kids, on a frequent basis. Our kids are older though, no babysitter required. We enjoy "doing" things together, so we do...

We have a babysitter come every Saturday night and we rotate between taking each of the boys out for a special night with Mom and Dad, and going out alone. So, every fourth Saturday is date night. We usually go shopping and out to a late dinner, or go to dinner early and then to a movie.

Now that my oldest can keep an eye on his brothers for a short time during the day, we also like to go on quick "day dates" for lunch, coffee or just for a drive.

We have a babysitter come every Saturday night and we rotate between taking each of the boys out for a special night with Mom and Dad, and going out alone. So, every fourth Saturday is date night. We usually go shopping and out to a late dinner, or go to dinner early and then to a movie.

Now that my oldest can keep an eye on his brothers for a short time during the day, we also like to go on quick "day dates" for lunch, coffee or just for a drive.

This is cool. I like it.

We go out at least once a month.

dinner

boardgame at coffee shop

library

grocery shopping

hardware/building store

electronics store

record store

walk/hike/bicycling

park/gardens

sculpture park

observatory

class at park district

movie

We also live in a rural area but there is a college town 30 minutes away. Most often we stay in town, go for a walk, eat dinner, play a board game, or go grocery shopping.

We don't have date 'nights' but we go out alone during the day on weekends. The girls are old enough to stay home for several hours alone during the day. We will go eat, run errands, or just hang out downtown/at the beach without the kiddos. We also run any errands in the afternoons during the week alone so we can catch up with each other. The girls are happy they don't have to tag along to everything, especially boring errands, and our nights are still spent all together, which we enjoy.

We have just (as of about a week ago) started leaving all 4 kids home alone together for an hour and getting coffee or having lunch in the grocery store deli. We are really enjoying being able to spontaneously spend time alone together--we haven't had that since our first year of marriage.

Scheduled dates with a sitter have always felt like more trouble than they were worth to me. Cleaning the house, coming up with an easy dinner, paying a ton of money on the sitter, and then my husband always wanted to go out for a nice dinner...I much prefer a quick, low-maintenance Starbucks date.

For the past year we have done a date night on Wednesday evenings when DS is at youth group. Just this week they switched youth group from Wed to Sun, and rather than lasting from 6-830pm, it is only from 6-730pm, and it is too hard to do anything in that time period when it takes a least 20 minutes to get anywhere from our church. We used to go out to eat, and then do any mid week shopping we needed to do b/c we can only get to a Walmart or grocery store twice a week. Now, we are going to have to start doing our date night on another night and just leave DS home.