Menu

Please recommend a good dog breed.

We are ready to add to our family and would like some good dog breed recs.:001_smile: We would like a larger breed, say anything over 60 lbs. Our new dog should get along well with other dogs. (We have a puggle.) We are ok with lots of fur and shedding, but not drool. (I would really love a Newfie, but I'm the only one willing to put up with drool.:tongue_smilie:) We have plenty of adults home all day, and one 14 year old. We often have 6 - 11 yr olds in the house. We have a small unfenced yard and walk our dog once a day, but are willing to do 2 walks a day for a dog needing more exercise. our dog gets a lot of play time (fetch, tug of war, chasing a laser light) during the day. Dogs who spend a lot of time near my in laws and neighbor tend to gain weight and end up being somewhat overweight, but not extremely obese. (We live together.) We are very affectionate with our animals, and would love a very affectionate breed. Licking is ok.:D Cuddling on the couch is also ok. I will give the dog basic training, which will be completely undone by the rest of the family, which is why it never goes beyond the basics.:glare: IOW, this dog should be very trainable. I am pretty insistent that the only way we are getting a bigger dog is if everyone is on the same page with training, since in laws are getting older and mil is frequently falling. Don't know if anyone will listen to me though... What would your choice be for us?

I have a Great Dane/English Mastiff cross that I am thoroughly in love with. She should finish out at 150lbs. She has been great to work with and very loving. Doesn't drool, low shedding, and really doesn't eat any more than our pitbull. She hasn't been very hard to train so far although she has required me to stay on top of training a little more than the cockers simply because of her size. I can't afford to let a dog that size get unruly.

Our Labradoodles don't shed, don't drool, are very 'people' prone, not overly hyper now that they are out of the puppy stage, would love to be on the couch with us(I won't let them), they are just all around great dogs. One is about 40# and the other is I am guessing, around 55-60#. They do need to be groomed 3-4 times a year but only because their hair does get pretty long. I comb the curly one out once in a while to keep him from getting bad mats.

I have a Great Dane/English Mastiff cross that I am thoroughly in love with. She should finish out at 150lbs. She has been great to work with and very loving. Doesn't drool, low shedding, and really doesn't eat any more than our pitbull. She hasn't been very hard to train so far although she has required me to stay on top of training a little more than the cockers simply because of her size. I can't afford to let a dog that size get unruly.

I agree with the Great Dane. I have never had one but from what I have seen they are awesome dogs.

Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever. You did say you were ok with shedding, right? ;)

:iagree::lol: We have a chocolate Lab, along with a tyrannical Lhasa Apso. My 80lb Lab is a lap dog. She fits so nicely in anyone's lap;). She is the sweetest, friendliest dog I have ever had. She will play and run for hours if you want her to, or she will warm the couch all day if necessary. She lives to please every human. She keeps me warm at night when dh is working. She has never been aggressive with the kids, even when they've tried to ride her. We never had any problems training her, though she gets over-enthusiastic and just cannot possibly sit still and wait. Just know that Labs shed their body weight in hair at least every 2 minutes, and their tails should be considered a deadly weapon.

I adore our labradoodle. She does not drool. She is 3/4th standard poodle, so her mom was a labradoodle and her dad was a standard poodle. No shedding. She does have to be groomed every few months, we do a basic clip at home and then two or 3 times a year have it done nicely by a groomer.

she is very, very mellow and very smart. She's kind of like a big cat, except she does like to have romping/playing moments with the kids.

I would go with a Great Dane or German Shepherd with a Dane being my first choice. Boxers, Weimaraners and Vizslas are all excellent choices too as they're VERY smart and typically rather easily trainable. A Shepherd can be kind of head-strong but if you find they right one, they are perfect. Personally, I would stay far away from Labs if you're looking for something that is easily trainable and will keep out from under your in-laws feet. Labs tend to stay puppy-fied for an extraordinarily long time and I find them to be kind of hard-headed and dense. They're sweet but they seem to take awhile to catch onto things.

Edited by contessa20

Definitely a lab or golden retriever. I love labs- they are the sweetest breed of big dogs out there. You will have to get past the first two years, when they like to chew stuff up, but I have never seen a "bad" lab. They just do not have a mean bone in their bodies. Make sure you get one whose parents are cleared for genetic hip dysphasia. That's a biggie!

I'll add another in favor of a Great Dan or GSD. For the Great Dane, find an adoptee (if you're going that route) or parents with tighter jowls/lips (not real long and flappy). That helps with the drooling. My first Dane only drooled when we fed her and she was on her 'wait' command. She never drooled when we fixed dinner though and was nearby, lol. She knew the difference. My foster dane hardly ever drools. Only dripping after drinking really.

We love our GSD and the one we just got for our parents. They have a higher prey drive, but should be fine with family pets especially if raised with them. They do shed a good bit, but if brushed daily, it helps keep it down in the house. They don't drool and they love their people (both do).

Rhodesian Ridgeback! They fit all your requirements. They are big couch potatoes, and not high-energy. They are 60+ lb lap dogs!!:D Love affection. They rarely bark, but they do know when it's necessary, and can scare anyone half to death with their ferocious deep bark.

I would recommend a German Shepherd. But I am probably biased because I absolutely adore German Shepherds and always recommend them. :001_smile:

They have such neat personalities! We got one about a year and a half ago for our son's 14'th birthday. Completely goofy, totally ridiculous animal. We adore him! :001_wub:

Jake:

268623_447332468622223_125923873_n.jpg

Golden Retriever vote here! They are smart enough to train, but also easily impressed by NO.

Our dear dog came to us at 7 mo. The people before us had crate trained him, and taught him never to go thru an opened door without permission--he won't run out the front door or even go upstairs unless we tell him to. He's wonderful! He's completely reliable as far as nipping/biting--no food or toy guarding. He's the most polite dog I've ever met!

He is just dumb enough to not have figured out the swinging door into the dining room--even the doxie we watched over the summer a couple of years ago could figure that out, but Riley just. doesn't. get. it. Or he just WON't go thru...:D

Really, they have loving personalities, are easy to train, do require some upkeep, but are wonderful to pet. No drool.

I don't know how accurate it is, but my impression w/GSD is that they require a firm, consistent pack structure, otherwise can attempt to be the dominant.

It may just be the few I've known, but that's the impression I've been given.

Something to consider, b/c it doesn't sound like you're really in a position to manage a situation like that, and may need a more mallable breed.

We have a Bernese mountain dog (we've had two) who we love very much. She is easy going, blows her coat out twice a year. She is very loyal to the family sometimes seeming standoffish to others. She gets along great with our small dog (terrier/spaniel mix) and our yellow lab. They have a shorter life expectancy. Our first berner died at five from an aggressive cancer known to the breed.

You can't beat a yellow lab for overall loviness :). She is lots of fun!

We love our Aussie! He's just 6 months old, but very sweet and smart. A real companion. We're thinking he'll get to be between 40-50 pounds. He's very trainable, although he does seem to have a very strong loyalty to his "herd" (our family) -- which can be good or bad!

I would go with a Great Dane or German Shepherd with a Dane being my first choice. Boxers, Weimaraners and Vizslas are all excellent choices too as they're VERY smart and typically rather easily trainable. A Shepherd can be kind of head-strong but if you find they right one, they are perfect. Personally, I would stay far away from Labs if you're looking for something that is easily trainable and will keep out from under your in-laws feet. Labs tend to stay puppy-fied for an extraordinarily long time and I find them to be kind of hard-headed and dense. They're sweet but they seem to take awhile to catch onto things.

That's funny because I've heard boxers are not the brightest in the doggie world. My neighbors who had two Great Danes and a hard time with obedience. Could have just been my neighbors were not good dog training people though. A lot depends on the people.

As for my two labs both were trained quickly and easily. My first lab we got as a puppy and he stayed a puppy for 3 years. My second lab we got from a rescue and he was about 3 yrs with zero doggie manners. After one month he had learned all the basics, and learned to not to chew and destroy things in the house. He learned quickly.

My lab drools when he drinks, when he runs hard, or when waiting for food.

Labs need exercise though preferably with a place to run or swim daily. They will get into mischief if they do not get enough exercise, but I think most dogs are like that. If you consider a lab I suggest getting one 3 yrs or older.

Rough Coated Collie

Absolutely! Once you get past the puppy nipping stage, the collie is a grand dog to be privileged to own. Ted was easy to train -- I showed him what I wanted him to do when I told him to sit (or any other command), and that was all it took. He was housebroken in 24 hours. He did not get in trouble once he was out of puppyhood, and even then, not much. Teddy was my best friend and trusted companion. In contrast, Aidan reminds me of a toddler. I take care of Aidan, whereas Ted and I took care of each other.

No matter which breed you choose, find a reputable breeder. Here is one place to be educated about that: http://www.dogforums.com/.

I found a breeder who was high up in the collie world, and she repeatedly lied to me about her dogs. She knew I had had a collie, but since I didn't parade my knowledge, she figured she had an ignoramus on her hands. That's how I ferret out liars -- I let them hang themselves.

Moral of the story: No matter which breed you choose, find out everything you can about it and memorize that information. Keep it to yourself, ask pertinent questions, ask to see proof of everything alleged, and if you are lied to, don't buy a dog from that breeder. This one bred for conformation first, not health.

Find out what the characteristics of a reputable breeder are. Don't buy a dog from a puppy mill or a back yard breeder.

Go to http://www.akc.org/dogowner/ and read about the breeds that interest you. Go to the breed clubs' websites and read all the information there. Also check the UK's sites for the breeds ... I've found good information there, too.

Be especially careful about breeds that are very popular or that have appeared in movies. There are some breeds that are riddled with health problems that are incurable and cause the dogs to die early and/or to suffer. You will quickly discover which those are when you research the breeds. That is a breeder problem -- some are more interested in breeding the perfect show dog than in breeding healthy dogs that conform to the breed standard. Eventually this means the breed has been perhaps permanently harmed.

Since I don't show dogs, good health and temperament are the most important qualities I look for. That's how I ended up with a rough collie who was larger than the breed standard. He died when he was 8.5 years old (4+ years earlier than his expected life span) of a cancer that is not frequently found in the breed. So even with that, there are no guarantees.

Aidan is larger than standard, too. He weighs 50 lbs, and breed standard is 40 in the US and 45 in the UK. Again, he comes from healthy stock, and has a good temperament, so I'm not concerned that he is not show quality in his appearance. He meets breed standard in all the ways that are important to me.

All of this information is easily found via Google and at the dog forums. There are many books about how to select a breed that fits in well with your actual family and your lifestyle, not the family and lifestyle you aspire to have! I was interested in a particular breed that has health problems. I found a great breeder who has dogs that fit every standard anyone would have. I, however, did not meet the breeder's standards for an owner. I wanted to, and I told myself I was willing to, but when I came back down to earth, I realized that breed was better off without me.

There are breed-specific forums, too, and some of them are great.

Edited by RoughCollie

I don't know how accurate it is, but my impression w/GSD is that they require a firm, consistent pack structure, otherwise can attempt to be the dominant.

It may just be the few I've known, but that's the impression I've been given.

Something to consider, b/c it doesn't sound like you're really in a position to manage a situation like that, and may need a more mallable breed.

I've worked with 6 GSD that have come through here because their owners heard they were wonderful dogs and didn't realize that they need a firm hand. It didn't end well. They were LOVELY dogs, but I would only recommend them for someone with experience and/or that seems to be a firm consistent person in their normal everyday life.

As it turns out, the puppy we got from the shelter who was supposed to be a labrador/border collie mix (mostly labrador) is actually mostly (maybe completely) German shepherd.

She is a wonderful puppy. Her training is coming along very nicely.

But German shepherds require a firm hand. My 17yo is having a hard time being firm enough. She says no meekly rather than commandingly, so the puppy tends to ignore what the 17yo tells her to do (because it sounds more like a request or even a question). I'm working with my 17yo to teach her how to actually command the puppy.

You can be soft with a golden retriever (the breed I'd recommend for you), but not with a German shepherd. German shepherds will try to take over as the leader of the pack if you let them. They are great dogs if you have the right temperament to train them properly.

Goldens are VERY forgiving and easily fit in to most families even if everybody is a softie. Our last dog was a Golden and she was absolutely wonderful. She lived to 9.5yo before she died from leukemia (she died 24 hours after diagnosis). They usually live 10-12 years.

I've worked with 6 GSD that have come through here because their owners heard they were wonderful dogs and didn't realize that they need a firm hand. It didn't end well. They were LOVELY dogs, but I would only recommend them for someone with experience and/or that seems to be a firm consistent person in their normal everyday life.

As it turns out, the puppy we got from the shelter who was supposed to be a labrador/border collie mix (mostly labrador) is actually mostly (maybe completely) German shepherd.

She is a wonderful puppy. Her training is coming along very nicely.

But German shepherds require a firm hand. My 17yo is having a hard time being firm enough. She says no meekly rather than commandingly, so the puppy tends to ignore what the 17yo tells her to do (because it sounds more like a request or even a question). I'm working with my 17yo to teach her how to actually command the puppy.

You can be soft with a golden retriever (the breed I'd recommend for you), but not with a German shepherd. German shepherds will try to take over as the leader of the pack if you let them. They are great dogs if you have the right temperament to train them properly.

Goldens are VERY forgiving and easily fit in to most families even if everybody is a softie. Our last dog was a Golden and she was absolutely wonderful. She lived to 9.5yo before she died from leukemia (she died 24 hours after diagnosis). They usually live 10-12 years.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Diva wanted a GSD, still does. I flat refuse. We simply do NOT have the household to be enforcing pack structure constantly. I've also heard that GSDs, as w/all popular breeds, has run into more health issues in recent generations, thanks to overbreeding.

That's why I finally got my Bordeaux. Yes, pack structure is important to all breeds, but some are simply more forgiving than others, and I've found that to be true w/Bordaux. They'll take advantage and push their luck if consistently given the chance, but they don't *look* for it in the same way some breeds do, if that makes any sense.

Labradoodle or any sort of doodle - any mix w/ a poodle. I DID NOT WANT A DOG!!! And we have the perfect dog. About 55lbd. Does not shed b/c they grow hair rather than fur (this was a lab/ poodle bred back w/ a poodle - so no shed). Both poodles and labs are smart. The lab part is friendly, loves people and is loyal - so they are pack animals and want to hang w/ you rather than hunt and run off. She was easy to train!!! I am so glad we got her, but will never get a different type of dog. Best of luck!

I am NOT a dog person, but my daughter is now a "host home" for a Labradoodle. So although I personally don't like dogs, after having this dog for a few months I actually "like" this dog. She doesn't drool, shed or stink. She loves all of the children and is a blast to play with!!!

The best family dog we've ever had was a Great Pyrenees/Golden Retriever Cross. He was absolutely amazing. He would let the babies pull on his fur, climb on in, tug his ears, etc. He didn't mind sharing his food with chickens, cats, other dogs. He loved cats. He was fine with other dogs. He was very laid back and calm, even as a puppy. He would bark once when someone drove up and then stop. He was never violent with anyone, but stood by watchfully when strangers were around. I always felt very safe with him. He weighed 95 pounds. I think this combo is the perfect family dog.

We now have a purebred Great Pyrenees, which we adore as well. She is very happy just to lay at your feet. GPs if not fixed aren't good with other dogs who aren't fixed. If they're both fixed though, they're usually fine, unless they perceive the dog as a threat.

Our chocolate lab passed a few months ago. She was awesome, after a hellish puppyhood. We didn't live with her then, but we really disliked her as a pup. My inlaws were so close to giving her up, and they have never considered that with any dog. Once she hit 3/4ish she became the sweetest most awesome dog!!! We are still expecting her to come running into the dining room or kitchen begging for a treat. Emotionally I don't think my fil or dh could get a chocolate lab. They never get the same breed.:confused:

:iagree::lol: We have a chocolate Lab, along with a tyrannical Lhasa Apso. My 80lb Lab is a lap dog. She fits so nicely in anyone's lap;). She is the sweetest, friendliest dog I have ever had. She will play and run for hours if you want her to, or she will warm the couch all day if necessary. She lives to please every human. She keeps me warm at night when dh is working. She has never been aggressive with the kids, even when they've tried to ride her. We never had any problems training her, though she gets over-enthusiastic and just cannot possibly sit still and wait. Just know that Labs shed their body weight in hair at least every 2 minutes, and their tails should be considered a deadly weapon.

Our chocolate lab passed a few months ago. She was awesome, after a hellish puppyhood. We didn't live with her then, but we really disliked her as a pup. My inlaws were so close to giving her up, and they have never considered that with any dog. Once she hit 3/4ish she became the sweetest most awesome dog!!! We are still expecting her to come running into the dining room or kitchen begging for a treat. Emotionally I don't think my fil or dh could get a chocolate lab. They never get the same breed.:confused:

We got really lucky with our baby. We took her home at 8 weeks (she's almost 8 1/2 years old now) and never experienced the psychotic Lab puppy phase. I swear this dog produces her own natural Valium. The worse thing she did as a puppy was pierce her lip with a fishing hook after she somehow opened our tackle box. Well, she has knocked over everything ever placed on a coffee table with her tail, but the poor girl never meant to! Labs aren't for everyone, but I just can't see us without a Lab in our house.

Sorry about your Lab! I know I will be a train wreck when our sweet Zoe leaves us.

We had two Goldens. This is the dog I want! They were so easy going and goofy. My son used to crawl over them and they would barely lift their heads. Dh and family are weird about dogs though, and never seem to get repeats. They also took losing these two the hardest. I have never seen dh so affected by a loss. They passed within months of each other. I'm trying to change their minds, though.:001_smile:

We've had 2 Golden Retrievers and LOVE them. They're great with kids and so affectionate. You can't go wrong.

What a beautiful dog! This is my son's choice. I have to admit to being a bit intimidated by them. I was attacked by one when I was 5. I promised him one day he would get his dog though, so I'm going to have to work on my fear.:001_smile:

They have such neat personalities! We got one about a year and a half ago for our son's 14'th birthday. Completely goofy, totally ridiculous animal. We adore him! :001_wub:

Jake:

268623_447332468622223_125923873_n.jpg

That is a mix I would love to see! Is it a common crossbreeding or was that an accident? A Pyr is the current fave of dh and my inlaws. Ds and I are definitely open to one, but dh has got to help train the dog! He will be working from home soon, so that will be a help.

The best family dog we've ever had was a Great Pyrenees/Golden Retriever Cross. He was absolutely amazing. He would let the babies pull on his fur, climb on in, tug his ears, etc. He didn't mind sharing his food with chickens, cats, other dogs. He loved cats. He was fine with other dogs. He was very laid back and calm, even as a puppy. He would bark once when someone drove up and then stop. He was never violent with anyone, but stood by watchfully when strangers were around. I always felt very safe with him. He weighed 95 pounds. I think this combo is the perfect family dog.

We now have a purebred Great Pyrenees, which we adore as well. She is very happy just to lay at your feet. GPs if not fixed aren't good with other dogs who aren't fixed. If they're both fixed though, they're usually fine, unless they perceive the dog as a threat.

Beautiful! I have to ask though, does this breed have a high pitched bark? Ds and I walked by a yard with 2 collies, and the bark of both was so high pitched and loud. Ds has some serious sound sensitivities, and we had to cross the street with me holding his ears. He is ok with lower toned barks.

Rough Coated Collie

06-28-2007094414AM.jpg

Bernese Mountain Dog. I have her coat blown out in the fall and spring to lower the shedding. Great dog and no drool. She is great with our mini dachshunds and our neighbors 5lb yorkie. She shows the nickname gentle giant to the fullest. Ours is 108lbs.

Ours is a Mini .... 80 lbs. to be fair she was the runt of the litter. My sister's female berner is 110 lbs. gentle giant is a good descriptor.

I have to add my vote for the Golden Retriever. Best family dog ever. Happiest dog ever. Puts up with being ignored occasionally and takes big parties in his stride.

Much as I admire German Shepherds, I was completely traumatised as a child when one bit my BF on the cheek. He was supposed to have been great with kids :glare: and to this day no one knows what set him off.

Beautiful! I have to ask though, does this breed have a high pitched bark?

If you go to youtube and search "rough collie barking", there are several videos. You can get an idea of what the barking sounds like -- and its probably just like the collies you've heard.

I've read and been told by other collie owners that collies bark a lot and it is high-pitched. I know several owners of multiple collies who have had their dogs debarked because of this. Their dogs still bark, but it sounds like they are coughing, and that is a low-pitched sound (to me, anyway). I don't know anything about this surgery, because our collie didn't bark a lot and it wasn't an issue.

Teddy sounded similar to this collie:

. It never crossed my mind that it was high-pitched, but compared to my terrier's bark, it is.

Our dog is 1/2 black lab, 1/2 German Shorthair. Before that we had 3 Siberian Huskies. I love the huskies, but the hair, and the running. :svengo: They were beautiful to watch, but they also knew that.

Our lab is 7 1/2, she finally slowed down about age 3 and she is the most loyal, toddler like dog ever. She acts a lot like a lab, but I think she gets some of the good traits of German Shorthair. She looks like a lab though.

We have a 5 month old German Shepherd that we just got 4 weeks ago. He's really great and my kids are enjoying him very much. Ours is pure German bred with no American bloodline. You do have to be careful and make sure you're getting a good reputable breeder by doing your research. They've been very overbred and can have hip dysplasia. The pure German breed is MUCH less prone to that. Ours came with a special hip certification.:)