Menu

Random: Do YOU pronounce the "T"??

... in words like

Often (Of-ten? or Off-en?)

Interesting (in-ter-es-ting or inner-esting?)

Sentence (sen-tence? or sen-nence?)

OK, one more but not with a T...

Kin-der-gar-ten or kinner-garden?

Random, I know, but I am watching a course from The Teaching Company and this lecturer keeps saying "sennence" instead of "sentence" and it is driving me batty. Maybe it's regional?

But it could be just me. :tongue_smilie:

I don't pronounce the t in often because my third grade teacher had a serious peeve about people who pronounce the t in that word. She drilled it into us that we should never pronounce the t in often. And she was scary, so... (Actually, that led me to look it up, and without the /t/ is how it was for a very long time in British English and with the /t/ is more recent. It follows the same pattern as hasten, fasten, soften)

As for the others:

InTeresting

Sentence can go either way. I probably say it without the t more often, but when I'm talking to my kids, who can't spell, I am usually careful to say it with the t sound.

I always say the 'd' sound in kindergarten.

T sounds in often, sentence, and interesting every time.

But I say "kindergarden."

No T sounds in hasten, fasten, and soften.

Inconsistent T sounds in button, mitten, and mountain. I can't figure out why though! There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

I will say we enunciate a LOT with so many littles. My little people came to us with the worst speech and grammar.

The issue this week is saying "bee-sep" for except. It used to be "uh-ten" for pretend also. BLAH!

And now we have two toddlers so try to be careful about pronunciation. Monkey really enunciates most things, almost to an extreme. She has a definite /w/ at the end of wow. Cup is almost two syllables because of the sounded p at the end (btw, she can now spell cup also!). Oh, but to make this relevant to the conversation, she has almost no /t/ in the middle of BOTTLE. We regularly mess up ball/bottle because she says them SO similarly (though not exactly the same).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Somewhere in between of-ten and off-fen for me, with a very soft 't.'

In-ter-es-ting.

Sen-tence.

Kin-der-garden.

But it could be just me.

Nope. Not just you.

Edit: I forgot to say I was raised in Southern California.

Edit again: Is anyone else thinking of Gilbert and Sullivan?

Edited by Jenny in Florida

North Alabama here, but in a "northern town", so it's a good mix of dialects (not all southern drawl), plus my mom is a New Yorker. :D

Off-en usually, but sometimes I'll say of-ten. My oldest son says of-ten. :D

in-trest-ing

or

in-ter-es-ting

Usually the first one.

sen-tence

kin-der-gar-den

I pronounce the T in all.

When we were doing Sing, Spell, Read, and Write, they said often was a "rule breaker" because the T wasn't pronounced. That blew my mind. I asked about it on FB and everyone who replied found that odd also.

Dictionary.com says this:

Pronunciation note

Often was pronounced with a t -sound until the 17th century, when a pronunciation without the  [t] came to predominate in the speech of the educated, in both North America and Great Britain, and the earlier pronunciation fell into disfavor. Common use of a spelling pronunciation has since restored the  [t] for many speakers, and today  [aw-fuhn] and  [awf-tuhn] [or  [of-uhn] and  [of-tuhn]] exist side by side. Although it is still sometimes criticized, often with a [t] is now so widely heard from educated speakers that it has become fully standard once again.

That explains why I say "of-fen" most of the time, but I say the 't' in other words. I'm just well educated! :lol:

Apparently the "t" in words like "often" is not supposed to be pronounced. But anyway, it's not the same as skipping the "t" in "interesting." At all. That sounds sloppy.

You can read about "often" here:

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/beastly/#Often

with a lot of funny quotations (In 1932 the English lexicographer Henry Cecil Wyld called AWF-tin “vulgar” and “sham-refined,”), and note they group it with words like listen, moisten, and Christmas.

So it is a separate category of words.

Do you pronounce the "l" in "palm" and "almond"? Apparently those are supposed to be silent letters too, but aren't much anymore.

How do you pronounce 'forehead'? I was brought up to say 'foh-red' (short 'o') but hear 'fore-head' more often these days.

I had never heard anyone say 'foh-red', but Life of Fred said that was the way to pronounce it. I was confused. :confused: Sure enough, the dictionary says either one is correct. I've always said and heard 'fore-head'.

Do you pronounce the "l" in "palm" and "almond"? Apparently those are supposed to be silent letters too, but aren't much anymore.

I say something closer to 'pawm' and 'aw-mond'. There might be a twitch of an 'l' sound in there, but it's hardly noticeable. Not as much as "all".

... in words like

Random, I know, but I am watching a course from The Teaching Company and this lecturer keeps saying "sennence" instead of "sentence" and it is driving me batty. Maybe it's regional?

I don't do either, except often pronounced 'offen' just like 'soften'. I don't consider that wrong or sloppy, its how was taught in school. Its pronunciation seems to follow trends and the current one is to pronounce the 't'.

The others are pronounced with a more of a 'd' sound, though not precisely.

So, in-der-esting, sen-dence, etc. It isn't a clear 'd', like kindergarten.

Interesting is sometimes 'intresting'.

Edited by momoflaw

I had never heard anyone say 'foh-red', but Life of Fred said that was the way to pronounce it. I was confused. :confused: Sure enough, the dictionary says either one is correct. I've always said and heard 'fore-head'.

They put their children (my parents) into private schools where they learned to speak in the RP (received pronunciation) of southern England. If you've ever seen 'Brief Encounter', that's an example of how my mother speaks.

That accent was what I learned too, but it has slipped a little.

Laura

They put their children (my parents) into private schools where they learned to speak in the RP (received pronunciation) of southern England. If you've ever seen 'Brief Encounter', that's an example of how my mother speaks.

That accent was what I learned too, but it has slipped a little.

Laura

My mother was working-class North of England, she always pronounced it foh-red.

I don't pronounce the t in often because my third grade teacher had a serious peeve about people who pronounce the t in that word. She drilled it into us that we should never pronounce the t in often. And she was scary, so... (Actually, that led me to look it up, and without the /t/ is how it was for a very long time in British English and with the /t/ is more recent. It follows the same pattern as hasten, fasten, soften)

That's funny.... I had a high school English teacher who would stop you if you did NOT pronounce the "t" in often.

I use the "t" in all of the original words mentioned... except kindergarten, which comes out like a "g".

... in words like

I pronounce the T in all but often. Although, I sometimes do. And I do pronounce the D in Kindergarten.

I can't stand it when people don't pronounce the T in button or mountain or mitten.

Buh-in

Mow-in

Mih-in

:banghead:

When I lived in Maine, the above is exactly how those words were pronounced.

I live in southern Ohio.. aka "Ohiya." All of my older family members say "tomatah" instead of tomato, etc. I dont do that but I dont pronounce T's in a lot of words.

Kindergarten= Kindergarden

Congratulations= Congradulations

As for how I pronounce other words like sentence, mountain, etc.. I have no clue how to spell it out phonetically. Its almost like a sharp "eh" sound?

Its funny you asked, because Ive often (oftden) wondered who pronounces the t's.:001_smile: It sounds funny if I try to.

Please pardon any typos... I'm feeding baby.

I rarely hear 'foh-red' these days.

Laura

Yes, I must admit that even though I was brought up with 'foh-red' I now say 'fore-head'.

It actually reminds me of a rhyme my mum used to say when I was a little girl:

There was a little girl

Who had a little curl

Right in the middle of her forehead

When she was good she was very, very good

But when she was bad she was horrid

:D

(The 'for-red' and 'horrid' kind of rhyming).

I don't always say it in "often," but the others...always. Probably it's my Spalding training kicking in to remind me to have precise speech. :)

I think about things like that after working with a girl in my little one-room school. While waiting for her books to arrive when she enrolled after the start of school, I gave her some busy work (not all busy work is bad, lol), some of which consisted of writing out number words. She did fine with 1-19, but when she got to the 20s, it was "twenny-one, twenny-two, twenny-three..." :001_huh: And I realized that it is not uncommon for us to say it that way. I have pronounced that "t" clearly ever since.

I watched a design show where the designer said "assessory" instead of "ac-cessory." :001_huh: