Menu

Random: Do YOU pronounce the "T"??

Yes, I pronounce the T in the first words, but say "Kindergarden.". I was born and raised in rural Oregon (Orygun...not Ore ee gon).

ETA: I also pronounce the Ls in palm and almond. I have never heard anyone say foh-red in my life. I pronounce it like the compound word it is: fore-head. I was in the military so I'd thought I'd been exposed to a lot of speech patterns, but maybe not as many as I thought. One of my best friends in college was from rural South Carolina and we almost spoke different languages.

Edited by Dinsfamily

Offen but I do put the T's in the other 2 you gave. According to my family I say sanwich instead of sandwich though. But each one of us has some word like that. DS says boiyz instead of boys. I can't remember what the girls say weird.

OH, and I think it's a southern thing but we rarely say G's on the end of words - runnin, bowlin, talkin, etc.

Do you pronounce the "l" in "palm" and "almond"? Apparently those are supposed to be silent letters too, but aren't much anymore.

Really? I've always pronounced the "l" in both. They sound funny to me without the "l". Grew up in Maryland..... and was never taught those should be silent.

I pronounce the t (or d) in all of them except for often. I would say I'm probably 50/50 on that one. I'm from the upper Midwest.

:iagree: I'm also from the upper Midwest.

I pronounce the l in 'palm' and 'almond,' but my mother doesn't. My maiden name is Palm, so it was funny to hear her call herself Mrs. Pahm.

Edited by LostSurprise

... in words like

Often (Of-ten? or Off-en?)

Interesting (in-ter-es-ting or inner-esting?)

Sentence (sen-tence? or sen-nence?)

OK, one more but not with a T...

Kin-der-gar-ten or kinner-garden?

Random, I know, but I am watching a course from The Teaching Company and this lecturer keeps saying "sennence" instead of "sentence" and it is driving me batty. Maybe it's regional?

But it could be just me. :tongue_smilie:

Other: Often, probably 50/50,

Interesting= probably more like in-trist-ing or intrest-ing,

sentence- 50/50 maybe, depending on how tired I am,

Kindergarten is kinder-garden. D's, no t.

I'm from TX.

Pretty precise with the Ts and Ds, except (like most) with "often" where the T (in normal speech) is silent. I'm afraid that "often" with a T might creep in on occasion with some "dramatic reading" voices when it seems right, but not in everyday speech.

Kindergarten is sort of a special case. There is enough German ancestry in my family that my parents counter-programmed the tendency of some people around us to say "kindygarden" by teaching us what the worlds kinder and garten meant "alf deutsch."

Wilhelm

... in words like

Random, I know, but I am watching a course from The Teaching Company and this lecturer keeps saying "sennence" instead of "sentence" and it is driving me batty. Maybe it's regional?

I pronounce it in everything except "often", which is 50/50. I'm from the north and have lived in the southeast for 20 years.

It actually reminds me of a rhyme my mum used to say when I was a little girl:

There was a little girl

Who had a little curl

Right in the middle of her forehead

When she was good she was very, very good

But when she was bad she was horrid

:D

(The 'for-red' and 'horrid' kind of rhyming).

Laura

Now that you ask, yes, I pronounce the T. BUt I had to sit here and say them and listen to myself...:tongue_smilie: And yes, the D in Kindergarten gets pronounced.

OK, now O've realized that if I START the sentence with the word Often, I'll say the T, but if it's a the end of the sentence, the T gets dropped.

Edited by justamouse

... in words like

The T (or D) is pronounced in all, except for often.

I pronounce the "T" in all of them, except I think I am inconsistent with "often". And yes, I pronounce the "D" in "kindergarten."

:iagree:It depends on the senTence :D for the word often.. If I am saying, "Not very often" I'll usually pronounce the T.. If it is further up in the sentence, like. "I often do this or that.." then it's usually no T.