Menu

Failed proposals poll (hopefully)

Would you accept?  

1. 1. Would you accept?

• No, just on principle.
    • Yes, how romantic.
    • No, anyone who would ask publicly has no clue.
    • Say yes then and back out later.
    • Scream?
    • Optional other

Anybody who proposed to me in public would just have demonstrated that he doesn't know me at all.

This is exactly what I thought. I tried to imagine dh proposing in public. In theory I’d say yes because it would be dh but he would never do it because it would be me. This just makes my head hurt. :001_huh:

This is exactly what I thought. I tried to imagine dh proposing in public. In theory I’d say yes because it would be dh but he would never do it because it would be me. This just makes my head hurt. :001_huh:

Oh, you meant if WOLF had proposed in public. I was thinking some guy proposing to me now. :lol:

It would totally depend on whether or not I wanted to marry them. If I wanted to, I'd say yes, be happy, and think the proposal was incredibly sweet. If I didn't want to marry the person, I have no idea what I'd do. I'd either say yes and back out, or bolt out of there.

It would totally depend on whether or not I wanted to marry them. If I wanted to, I'd say yes, be happy, and think the proposal was incredibly sweet. If I didn't want to marry the person, I have no idea what I'd do. I'd either say yes and back out, or bolt out of there.

:iagree:

Anybody who proposed to me in public would just have demonstrated that he doesn't know me at all.

:iagree: I voted that I would say yes and back out later. I think it would be tough to be rejected in public. Yes, I realize that the whole thing could have been avoided if he hadn't asked in public, but...

I will say that dh knew exactly what the answer would be when he asked. Do a lot of guys just go out on a limb?

I don't know how to answer this because I've never seen the failed proposal video.

Dh proposed to me at a very fine restaurant. We had a table with a view and no one within hearing range. I did say yes, obviously! :D But, no one heard what was going on. That said, the wait staff did glance over and see him place the ring on my finger, so they clapped and brought us free dessert which was very nice of them.

Now, if you mean that the proposer gathered a crowd of witnesses of people I know and then proposed in front of them, thus putting me in the hot-seat and meaning that the moment is shared by a whole bunch of individuals that will feel all huggy immediately following and not leave us alone, then I WOULD HAVE BEEN TICKED OFF!!!!!

So, what qualifies as a public proposal? First guy that proposed to me proposed in a public place, on the river in Frankenmuth which has a fair number of tourists coming and going, but it was a pretty private moment. We weren't with a group and this was a very, very good thing because "DON'T ASK THE QUESTION IF YOU AREN'T SURE OF THE ANSWER!" It would have been pretty embarassing for him to be turned down in front of a crowd of onlookers.

2nd proposal (different person, not Dh and accepted, then broke off when warning signals emerged soon thereafter) was on a public beach but the nearest person was a good football field length or more away.

Hmmm.....must have definition.

For what it is worth, one of the girls in my dorm was proposed to at McDonald's. Dingdong slipped the ring onto a french fry when she was fetching a napkin, slid it over, and said, "What do ya think?" (There was a HUGE crowd of college acquaintances there due to this occuring during a STUDY GROUP OUTING! :glare:) She accepted and we all thought she was nuts. He later turned out to be the biggest cheapskate the world had seen since the likes of Ebeneezer Scrooge! :tongue_smilie:

Faith

So, what qualifies as a public proposal? First guy that proposed to me proposed in a public place, on the river in Frankenmuth which has a fair number of tourists coming and going, but it was a pretty private moment. We weren't with a group and this was a very, very good thing because "DON'T ASK THE QUESTION IF YOU AREN'T SURE OF THE ANSWER!" It would have been pretty embarassing for him to be turned down in front of a crowd of onlookers.

Apparently, the First Rule of Litigation is also the First Rule of Proposals. Wise words.

I've always dreamed of a public proposal, but it's not for everyone. DH's proposal to me was...not exactly what I expected or hoped for. I don't particularly think raw meat adds to the romance. :glare:

Spill it, Sister. You can't leave us hanging with that much of a tease. :)

Yeah, I don't know how to answer. If I wanted to marry him, sure. I mean, it could be really weird, but also really romantic - the public or not public aspect wouldn't affect my decision so much. But if I didn't want to marry the guy, it would be really embarrassing but I'd have to say no.

ETA: Thinking more, I just don't have that much stake the the proposal in and of itself. If the relationship is good is the question. I wouldn't marry a guy or not based on a proposal no matter how perfect or how horrible.

If dh had proposed in public (which he sort of did if you count "public" as the very loud argument we had in a diner!!) then I would accept because I wanted to marry him.

If someone else proposed in public I would have been in a bind. I would want to say no because I wouldn't want to lead them on but I wouldn't have wanted to embarrass them. I think I would have gotten red in the face and said "Can I think about it?"

I don't think public proposals (or wedding ceremonies choreographed especially so that they'll become viral videos on YouTube) are in the slightest bit romantic. I can't imagine my DH ever doing that either.

My favorite proposal happened to a good friend from high school. Her DH-to-be had a romantic proposal planned out, but he was so excited that he couldn't wait that long and asked her while they were at a rest stop on the way to the intended destination. That wouldn't have been her preferred location, but I think it's sweet.

Edited by WordGirl

My high school boyfriend proposed to me at my 19th birthday party. This will sound very strange, but I did not say yes...or no. I hugged him and took the ring. I knew in my heart that I was not going to marry him and I think that came out in the fact that I simply didn't answer him. My actions appeared to say yes, but I didn't actually say it. My sister, who was videoing and was in on it, said, "You didn't actually say yes?!"

:iagree: If DH had proposed in front of people, I would have said yes for sure. Had it been someone else that I was not ready to marry, I probably would either run or accept the ring and then tell him no later.

When we were still dating, my husband and I talked about public proposals. I definitely couldn't imagine a "sports board" proposal or even a large family gathering proposal, and both of us are very close to our extended families.

He did end up proposing in his grandparents' backyard. They knew about it in advance and were peeking through the window watching and taking pictures. It irked me a wee bit at the time, feeling like our private moment was being intruded on, but looking back, it was so special to them to feel like they were a part of our day. Plus the image of his grandmother peering through the curtains is pretty funny in retrospect.

So in answer, anyone who dated me seriously should have known better than a truly public - as in, watch me do this! - proposal. I always wonder about the relationship when the proposal seems to not only be unlike one person in temperament/personality but also appears to come as a complete surprise.

:iagree: Of course, my dh would know this isn't my idea of a fun time. I abhor being made a spectacle. But if dh had proposed to me publicly, I wouldn't have said no just because it was public.

I find it tasteless to put people on the spot like that.

It would be very embarrassing to say anything but yes - how horrific.

Now, a proposal in a restaurant is totally different since you hope to have some sort of privacy around your table and you have not alerted the entire establishment so they would not be gawking in anticipation.

Oh ouch. Did a goggle search. Watching those is just painful.

The nba announcers are so hurt for the guy. "oh wow. He'll get over that in 10 or 20 years maybe."

You gotta wonder what would make a guy propose for a gal he isn't sure about like that? Ds17 says maybe it was a Chandler moment?:tongue_smilie:

ETA: wow. That ucla gal really ran fast!

The top 5 YouTube fails are awful. The one in mall? Waxing poetic about how she eats a cupcake?:001_huh: the poor girl looked like she wanted to have the earth swallow her. Or puke. I think puking might have been a very close second.

I just watched that one and I have just have to say that it was incredibly painful for me to listen to "Sweet Caroline" sung so off key! Possibly her ears were so offended that she just had to run. A man should know his limitations :D. Followed by the guitar player's, "That's brutal!", it made for a not pretty sight.

I don't know who these boys are but apparently they never got the memo that you "talk about marriage, kids, money, whether or not the relationship is even headed towards the big forever" etc. BEFORE you actually try to seal the deal.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

I find it tasteless to put people on the spot like that.

It would be very embarrassing to say anything but yes - how horrific.

Now, a proposal in a restaurant is totally different since you hope to have some sort of privacy around your table and you have not alerted the entire establishment so they would not be gawking in anticipation.

:iagree:

:iagree: Me too. That's just too embarrassing. I would not appreciate that gesture at all. Somewhere quiet, private and romantic sure, but not in front of a bunch of gawking people. :auto:

H--- to the no! I can't imagine a worse scenario (for me, personally) than to be proposed to in front of a big group of people. I always wonder about people who do this...I mean what if she doesn't say yes, or only says yes to save the guy from total embarrassment. You'd think a guy would be supremely confident (read arrogant) to propose to a woman in front of a crowd, and I think a guy needs to be a bit humble when proposing - why should he assume the woman will accept? Ugh *shudders* Can you tell this bothers me? :tongue_smilie: ;)

As others have said, it would depend on if I wanted to marry them. If I did, I would say, "yes" and if I didn't I would probably tell him that I would have to think about it and then privately tell him "No, thank you".

I am an extrovert though so that would make a difference.

I was goi ng to say it depends, yet he did propose in public. We were at the drag races, loud cars, rubber flying everywhere. He did not make it a spectacle, but he did get down on one knee in the gravel. He did announce it to the few people around us and I think they clapped for us. This was 20+ years ago, so no video.

:iagree:except I think I would just bolt.

I think people should run things by each other "hypothetically" so that people who won't respond well to surprises, won't get surprised. And people who would like a public surprise would get one.

I was proposed to in a beautiful garden on a beautiful day after a lovely pic nic. Perfect.

Assuming I wanted to marry him in the first place, I wouldn't mind a public proposal. By the time dh proposed, we knew we were getting married--we had discussed everything there was to discuss and then some. I just didn't know when/where he would do it. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY dh would ever have proposed publicly, though. But I'm used to being in front of people, so that probably makes it less intimidating for me.

Now if a guy proposed to me in public and I DIDN'T want to marry him?? I have no idea what I'd do. Glad I never had to face that one! *shudder*

dh did propose in public. :001_smile: In fact he tried to do it with a microphone up on a raised platform but the microphone didn't work. As he stood there on the platform, messing with the microphone along with one of the employees of the restaurant, I sat there wondering what in the world he was doing. I was so confused as to why he was trying to speak into a microphone.

I've always dreamed of a public proposal, but it's not for everyone. DH's proposal to me was...not exactly what I expected or hoped for. I don't particularly think raw meat adds to the romance. :glare:

LOL, i was sitting on a discarded shrimp left over from mardi gras, lol.

Not be naiive, but . . . who, exactly, is POSTING these failed proposals? I assume they must be friends of the wanna-be grooms. I guess these guys choose friends about as well as they choose ladies.

Some were televised - whether it was on Ellen or at a ball game. Some might have been taped by by-standers who thought it was going to be romantic.

My dh proposed to me in public. We were in a restaurant with a large group of people, he stood up, got the attention of the entire restaurant, and proposed right there. Of course, we'd already talked about everything so he KNEW I'd say yes, but he was still nervous. If it hadn't happened to me, I'd say I'd hate a public proposal. If I didn't want to marry him, I think I'd say yes, then back out as soon as possible to save him the public humiliation of the moment.

I always wonder about the relationship when the proposal seems to not only be unlike one person in temperament/personality but also appears to come as a complete surprise.

Mine was a complete and total surprise. Dh proposed in the restaurant where we met. Everyone was watching us. We were having dinner with a group of friends and they all knew what was happening and I didn't. It was a small dining area so everyone in the place was watching. My dh is a very quiet person so it was out of character for him. I never thought he'd propose in public or when he did. We had discussed marriage and so forth, but I thought he would wait awhile....at least until I had met his family. :lol: I figured we would date for at least another year before he would propose. So, yeah, it was a huge surprise.