Menu

It's snowing!!! Kids want to be outside and do no school!

The last time it snowed here was 2007. In 2007 it snowed dunring the night and the kids woke up to a blanket of snow covering the ground. 2007 was the first time it had snowed since 1982.Now it is snowing big chunks of white fluff falling from the sky. It is amazing I feel like celebrating Christhmas.Last time I saw snow like this I was 13 and in Lubbock. That is over 20 years now.Well should I let the kids g outside and act mad or should I make them do school?They have never seen snow falling from the sky before except on TV shows. They are going mad outside...

Oh my, of course you have to be outside!

A few years ago I read a blog post about a snow day. The blogger lived in an area that doesn't get much snow. One day it started to snow, and her kids begged to go out in it. The mom said they could go out when their schoolwork was finished. Well, by the time they did their work, the snow was gone. Her kids were so disappointed and she felt so bad about her strict rule.

Please, let your kids play!

It is winter here and they have started this new thing of Christmas in July so that we can have an heavy meal rather that the treditional 'braai', barbaque', by the pool we have in December.I do not buy the Christmas in July hype but today I feel like nice Christmas dinner but that would mean trying to find warm clothes and brave the stores. Nope it is not going to happen we will just settle for hot cocoa and cookies...

We can swap. We get plenty of nice warm sunny days. Even in winter it can get -5 Celcius (23 F) at dawn but by midday it will be around 20 Celcius (68 F). Winter is also very dry. We are used to summer rains and thunderstorms. But my kids are known to run like mad outside in the rain as well.The lady that cleans for us onece a week is here today and she is shouting at the kids to get out of the cold... My kids do not feel cold my daughter will wear slip-slops the entire year. No socks, sometimes a jacket...I miss long nice cold winters and houses with central heating. In winter by midday it is colder inside the house than outside.

It is winter here and they have started this new thing of Christmas in July so that we can have an heavy meal rather that the treditional 'braai', barbaque', by the pool we have in December.I do not buy the Christmas in July hype but today I feel like nice Christmas dinner but that would mean trying to find warm clothes and brave the stores. Nope it is not going to happen we will just settle for hot cocoa and cookies...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day!

Elise in NC

Well I'm jealous. It's winter here too & we are above 1000m up in the sky and have been waiting (im)patiently all winter for snow (it snowed last year and a little the year before). Nothing but sleet for us this year. Plus, I love Christmas in July, but perhaps that's because I have always lived in the Southern Hemisphere.

Let them play all day and take lots of pictures. You can freeze snowballs in the freezer to savour the experience.

And if you want your dc to experience snow again in their childhood, come visit us in Canada. We have lots to spare! I'll let them shovel my driveway - they'll love it!

And just to put things in perspective, we get snow every winter for 3+ months. Yet the first snow fall of the year is always a playday for the dc. It's just FUN to play in the stuff. Go ahead and let them enjoy it.

I miss long nice cold winters and houses with central heating. In winter by midday it is colder inside the house than outside.

Central heating and proper insulation would be nice today :).

My kids also had a ball this morning! It was a great science lesson.

Go outside, play, have fun! When the kids come in, get out a book with a section on precipitation, read it, and call it Science Day!

Faith

We have a snowball in our freezer (its an experiment Mom!). So the experiment is to see what happens to a snowball in the freezer. A few hours in its still snow :)

We called it day and went outside to play.The kids built a small snow man, we did not have that much snow, and have snow ball fights.We put out a bowl to collect some snow and make snow candy. My husband was saying it is so nice to feel the crunchy snow under his shoes.The principal, me, called it a snow day... Thanks for all the encouragement.

wintermama I guess I will have to send them to you. My son was upset because there was not enough snow to shovel up on the driveway (again he has also seen that in movies). He took his foldable camping shovel and walked to the front all ready for shovelling and there was not enough. It is so unfair?!?

wintermama I guess I will have to send them to you. My son was upset because there was not enough snow to shovel up on the driveway (again he has also seen that in movies). He took his foldable camping shovel and walked to the front all ready for shovelling and there was not enough. It is so unfair?!?

I'll send for him to run the snow blower in January. ;)

Parrothead, he actually asked me if we did not have one of those snow machines that picks it up and blows it out. That was before he got his shovel so I guess he was taking of a snow blower. For the life of me I could not get what he was taking about?!? I guess he would love your snowblower.Most of the snow had melted by tonight. My husband checked the aviation weather and it should snow again tonight from 10pm (in twohours time) until 6:am. If that happens that should be a record since 1981 it has not snowed more than once. Even last time it snowed 2007 was only one day and during the night.What was so nice about it is that we had snowfall throughtout the day and they actually saw it. So if there is lots of snow on the ground tomorrow we might have to play in it again tomorrow