Menu

s/o Church service thread; What is your sermon like?

I have to admit, I was really surprised that most of you said you have approx. 15 min. sermons in your church. I have grown up in a church that apparently has "teaching sermons" (what some referred to in original thread.) I always thought a sermon was teaching. So for those of you who it is different, what is your sermon about? Is it kind of a pep talk for the upcoming week? (And I mean that respectfully.) Or is it just a really short teaching? Now I am curious what others' sermons entail. Do share!

Our pastor preaches expositiorily- which mean straight from the Scripture, teaching what the words mean, the context, any related cultural or historical info that is pertinent and applies it to our daily life.

He goes through a book...right now we're in 1st Corinthians....been there since early spring. Occasionally, a Sunday comes along that requires/promotes a detour such as: Mother's/Father's Day, Easter, etc...

He usually speaks for 40-45 minutes....the service is very organized and timed. I'm involved in the Worship ministry and can see the timed plan for each Sunday when we come for choir rehearsal. It runs smoothly and I appreciate the forethought that goes into each Sunday. I learn a lot.

Our pastor preaches expositiorily- which mean straight from the Scripture, teaching what the words mean, the context, any related cultural or historical info that is pertinent and applies it to our daily life.

He goes through a book...

Yep. Sermons about 1/2 an hour or so. Service time generally 60 - 75 minutes.

They are an expounding on the scripture read that day. But not a whole hours worth...and it doesn't go into languages used, etc etc. More taking what the scripture says and then showing how that applies now, or explaining what it meant then. The main service is for worship, not bible study. That is separate. Honestly, I think people pay more attention and get more out of a short, to the point, tightly written sermon/homily than a long one with lots of rabbit trails.

Here is a link to podcasts of our sermons: http://goodshepherdmaitland.com/Good_Shepherd/Podcasts/Podcasts.html

They are an expounding on the scripture read that day. But not a whole hours worth...and it doesn't go into languages used, etc etc. More taking what the scripture says and then showing how that applies now, or explaining what it meant then. The main service is for worship, not bible study. That is separate. Honestly, I think people pay more attention and get more out of a short, to the point, tightly written sermon/homily than a long one with lots of rabbit trails.

Here is a link to podcasts of our sermons: http://goodshepherdmaitland.com/Good_Shepherd/Podcasts/Podcasts.html

This, especially the bolded.

ETA we're Episcopal as well.

I almost forgot, in my post upthread, that although our sermons/homilies are short, that isn't the only focus on scripture during the service. We read from the Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles, and Gospel each and every single Sunday. So that in itself takes a lot of time. Plus the prayers are scripture based, and the Gloria, and then there is the Creed, Eucharist/Communion, etc.

It might be of interest to look at HOW the service is structured in a liturgical church that has a short sermon. Maybe we need a spin off bout the different ways a service is structured?

Thank you, Katie, that was very helpful! The churches I have attended have always been like the others listed, 45-60 minutes.

We would call that Bible Study, and do it at a separate time :)

What else do you do during the church service, if they sermon takes up so much time?

Our sermons are probably about 20 min. They are about the lectionary readings for the day, and will often tie them into the readings for the whole season and sometimes the daily office readings. They are pretty detailed.

The whole service is didactic though. We have readings from Scripture, we sing psalms the prayers appointed for the day, and the ordinary of the service (the parts that are the same every week, like the Creed.) These things are all meant to teach us - that is why we recite the creed or the Gloria every week. The homily is only part of that.

We also have different kinds of study groups and Bible studies, but they are seperate. Typically they are much less formal with questions and discussions, looking into different books of Biblical translations or what the Fathers said. The focus of the Eucharist service is a little different.

We meet at 10 am for bible class - divided into small classes by age/grade.

At 11 am morning worship starts, it goes until 12:15 or so. There is not a set stopping time. There are announcements, scripture reading, songs, prayers, communion, contribution, and a sermon. The sermon is anywhere from 20-45 minutes, depending on how much the speaker has to say that day.

We return at 6 pm for evening worship, same things happen but the sermon is on a different topic. Communion is offered for those who missed morning worship.

On Wednesday nights at 7 pm we have a bible class. It last about 45 minutes, divided classes. Then we all come together for singing and a. Short devotional, 5-20 minutes.

During the school year the ladies meet on Wednesday at 10 am for a bible class. Once a month, the men have a breakfast and bible study, they asks have a monthly men's leadership class.

He goes through a book...right now we're in 1st Corinthians....been there since early spring. Occasionally, a Sunday comes along that requires/promotes a detour such as: Mother's/Father's Day, Easter, etc...

He usually speaks for 40-45 minutes....the service is very organized and timed. I'm involved in the Worship ministry and can see the timed plan for each Sunday when we come for choir rehearsal. It runs smoothly and I appreciate the forethought that goes into each Sunday. I learn a lot.

This describes our church sermons and services too.

We would call that Bible Study, and do it at a separate time :)

What else do you do during the church service, if they sermon takes up so much time?

LOL - we would too.

To the OP... Within the liturgical tradition there are set scripture readings on any given week. My priest will either expound on either the Epistle or Gospel reading for the day (or pull both together) or perhaps speak about the Saint of the day (encouraging us by looking at how this person's life imitated Christ). Some parts of the liturgical year have themes (especially in Pre-Lent and post Pascha i.e. Easter))- so he may talk about those themes: Humility, Return to God, etc. etc. It really depends.

I almost forgot, in my post upthread, that although our sermons/homilies are short, that isn't the only focus on scripture during the service. We read from the Old Testament, Psalms, Epistles, and Gospel each and every single Sunday. So that in itself takes a lot of time. Plus the prayers are scripture based, and the Gloria, and then there is the Creed, Eucharist/Communion, etc.

It might be of interest to look at HOW the service is structured in a liturgical church that has a short sermon. Maybe we need a spin off bout the different ways a service is structured?

Although we're Methodist, ours is similar. We have scripture reading, either the Nicene or the Apostles Creed, worshipful songs, prayer, sometimes Communion, the sermon, sometimes baptisms/confirmations/members joining. Just depends.

My church isn't a "traditional" baptist church. But I was raised Conservative Baptist. My church would be considered contemporary by many. However, I have been SO moved spiritually by my church. Most of the sermons from this year are linked on the page I will attach. Click on the "theme" icon that interests you and then you can select the weeks to listen to within those themes.

http://www.southcrest.tv/watch-listen/

Our service is 60-75 minutes long, but it isn't all sermon. We start off with two hymns, prayer, announcements, greeting of visitors, offering, singing by the choir or other members of the church, 1-2 more hymns and more prayer. THEN the pastor preaches for about 45 minutes or so, typically in an expository fashion. If there is a baptism, the service can run longer. Sunday School isn't included in that description, but it runs for about 45 minutes before the service.

You can find some of our sermons here: http://www.tabernaclebaptistchurch.com/media.html

At this church, the sermon is usually one of a series and different series are for a different amount of weeks. For the past number of months, we have been going over our church's statement of faith (I am not sure this is the name of it but something like that). Every week, the pastor will go to the next part of the statement and expound on how that statement comes from the Bible and what it means and how we apply it. It is always based on the Bible and always has an explanation of the Bible verses read and applications to our lives. I don't think the sermon is only 15 minutes but I am not timing it. I think it is more like 20-25-30 minutes. It depends on a number of things. The first Sunday of the month we have Communion and also a joint service with the Korean members of our church (who have a separate service in Korean the other weeks of the month). That Sunday the sermon is a bit shorter but the service is longer because the Korean pastor translates a shortened version of the sermon into Korean. We also use only the more popular hymns that week so that we know there is a Korean translation of that hymn for the Korean only people to sing.

He usually speaks for 40-45 minutes....

Same here, except the teaching lasts 55-65 mins. This *is* the Bible study; no Sunday school necessary.

May I ask what kind of church you attend?

:001_smile:

I was really surprised that most of you said you have approx. 15 min. sermons in your church.

I was surprised too but maybe that is because of what my church history has been (Baptist, Methodist, Jehovah's Witness). 45 minutes seemed about normal plus prayer, songs, etc. I thought when JWs changed it to 30 minute "talks," it was weird, so short! Anyway, there is a topic and the scriptures, illustrations, etc are in order to teach that topic. There are simple points and more advanced points woven in which is nice to cover maturity differences within the congregation. For some topics, specific groups (young, older, parents, men, women, children, etc) may be focused on briefly or the entire thing, but the way it is done brings in everyone. Topics vary widely. It could be doctrinal or Christian living or whatever. The Bible is usually *very* heavily used (honestly, with so many little ones to help get to them, it's nearly the scripture Olympics for my daughter and me). I like that it is easy for the children to keep up generally though and it being shorter definitely helps (they were longer when my bigs were little). Our version of "sunday school" is done as a congregation so there is no time necessary to change settings or whatever, just jump right in. And the kids like being able to participate. Also, it is a little easier for them to move in and out of participation with that one (for example, my kids doodle in their study magazine, color pictures, practice writing key words, etc between questions they or their siblings are answering).

Anyway, I can't imagine only 15minutes of teaching....and yet....it seems like it may be easier to digest small amounts like that (since 30 works better for us than 45 did).

Our sermons are usually about 30min and he teaches straight from scripture. Every once in awhile there will be something going on and he'll spend some time talking about that, which makes the teaching portion shorter, but I don't think I've ever heard him not build his actual sermon portion, from scripture. I wouldn't go there if he didn't though.

I thought I'd add an link to a sermon from our rector, from the Trinity season (which is what we are in now). It's fairly typical of what we'd get on a Sunday. Sometimes we have other people give the homily and they may have a different style. My church is Anglican, I'm not sure if I mentioned that earlier.

If we had someone "preach" It would probably be around 15 min's tops. Sometimes there is a 10-15 min. talk by someone about what we had studied that week, then there are several hours of discussion that everyone there participates in and it's come and go as you please, snacks, etc.. Our "church services" usually last most of the day and are more of a big bible study. :)

I attend Grace Community Church where John MacArthur teaches/preaches. Our message is 45 minutes long and expositional. We have 30 minutes of hymns/choir/orchestra followed by 15 minutes of Scripture reading, prayer, and announcements. Next comes the message. We finish with more corporate prayer. MacArthur just finished preaching through every single verse of the NT. It took him 40 years :lol: He spent 8 years in the Book of Luke (with a few breaks to go elsewhere).

I don't agree that teaching/preaching is NOT worship. As a matter of fact I believe learning about my Lord and Savior, and understanding him better, is the highest form of worship. The singing is simply an outpouring of my love and thankfulness for who He is and what He has done for me.

LOL - we would too.

To the OP... Within the liturgical tradition there are set scripture readings on any given week. My priest will either expound on either the Epistle or Gospel reading for the day (or pull both together) or perhaps speak about the Saint of the day (encouraging us by looking at how this person's life imitated Christ). Some parts of the liturgical year have themes (especially in Pre-Lent and post Pascha i.e. Easter))- so he may talk about those themes: Humility, Return to God, etc. etc. It really depends.

:iagree:This is how it is within the EO (and the RC from few visits and watching Catholic television)

Bible studies, catechumen classes, reading, etc are for getting into specifics on words, phrases, culture, etc.

I agree with the person that said, "Service is for worship." That is how it is for us. And we learn so much. Liturgy requires more layperson participation with readings, prayers, standing/sitting/kneeling/turning/prostrations at various times, other practices on special days/occasions, singing, receiving the Eucharist, and receiving the antidoran and a blessing...then you also have the 15min Homily. So we have a lot in our services that include prayers and Scriptures.

I've sat through a large variety of practices though, so not much is unfamiliar to me.

:iagree: Ours is similar to this (and on a side note, I am mildly envious of your church Nancy)

Our order of service changes, but usually looks something like this:

Welcome & scripture reading

Singing

Corporate prayer (anyone and everyone prays aloud)

Singing

Communion (every week)

Another song

Expository sermon

1-2 minute silence to meditate on actions to be taken based on the sermon

Invitation (aka. Singing again)

Very brief announcements and invitation for guests to socialize after service

Closing song

I'd say our sermon today was about 20-30 minutes. Pastor is doing a series on Jesus' parables and his message was on the parable of the servants who were given money when their master left and charged with investing it. The first two grew their money and the third hid his because he was afraid of his "harsh master." It was a very interesting sermon and made me think about that story like I hadn't before. He talked about how we could apply the lesson to our lives and a warning not to be like the foolish servant. It was quite good.

That's how it has always been in churches I've attended. Not a pep talk but an exhortation to Christian living, though I do usually come away feeling uplifted and energized.

We attend the United Church of Christ here in town, and our services tend to run about an hour, sometimes an hour and fifteen minutes. Sermon is about 15 minutes or so, after reading Scripture. We sing a couple hymns, choir sings an anthem and maybe another number, and we have communion once a month. It is our older members who want it kept "short and sweet"!! Haha! We have a monthly book study which is not Bible based but is always faith based and is something I truly enjoy. Bible Study is mid-week during the day, and not all that well attended but we have a very small, aging congregation and we are one of only three families attending with kids. We have a class every other week after the service where we view videos and have a group discussion.

Our sermons tend to be very much about overlaying Christ's teachings on today's world. A quick placement of time and location is mentioned about the Scripture passage, but no going into the language, etc. very often which I actually prefer.

Cindy

Worship about 15 minutes, sermon about 30 minutes, sometimes a presentation, baptism, speaker, worship again. Usually about an hour total.

The sermons are always thought provoking and based on scripture. Today was about forgiveness.

Ours is pretty much the same, expository teaching through one book of the Bible after another, continually ( with a topical at special times, like at Christmas, Easter, etc. Or sometimes a special speaker) . He speaks for about 40-45 minutes, as well.

So for those of you who it is different, what is your sermon about? Is it kind of a pep talk for the upcoming week? (And I mean that respectfully.) Or is it just a really short teaching? Now I am curious what others' sermons entail. Do share!

The sermon/homily is about 15 minutes in our church. It's usually about personal application to the Gospel reading, not a pep talk. It packs a HUGE punch in the little bit that's said. Think about the words of Jesus. He says a few things and BAM! It gets you "right here." That's the way the sermons are in my church. Today the Gospel reading was about Jesus healing the lame man, and he told him "your sins are forgiven." The homily was about how we need forgiveness of sins and healing of whatever it is that causes us to sin, so that we don't sin again. He talked about how Jesus said to "sin no more" to the woman that was about to be stoned. Then he touched on that we as Christians are a "peculiar people," and we are to be very different from the world. Then he talked a bit about the world and the differences in the way the world views right living and the way we as Christians are to live. He gave some very specific examples of what that means, which I won't mention here as they are controversial subjects.

Anywho, it was very meaningful and personal. I teared up at one point. It helps me that the homily is short. Too much information and cross references and ideas and this and that and I feel like my head is going to explode. This way it gets right to the heart.

That's my experience anyway.

LDS sacrament meetings (our main worship service) start with a hymn and prayer followed by any church business(new callings, conformations, baby blessings, ect). Then we sing a hymn to prepare us to take communion (what we call sacrament). After sacrament the meeting can take several forms.

On the first Sunday of the month the pulpit is open to anyone who wishes to share their testimony. Sometimes the meeting a quiet one, and other weeks the meeting may run really long as many wish to share.

Most Sundays the program begins with a short 2-5 minute talk given by a youth speaker (aged 12-18). This is sorta a practice talk. It gives the youth experience talking in sacrament meeting. I love most of the youth talks as they usually have a fresh take on the topic assigned to them. Also they often are very honest about their struggles and feelings. It is neat to see the youth grow and gain speaking skills as through the years. After the youth talk two other adults speak on topics assigned to them. Each of these talks are 10-15 minutes long. Talks are a speech given about a gospel topic or a sermon from General Conference (our world-wide church meeting twice a year). Talks are based on scriptures and end with a testimony. We may sing a hymn between these talks or the choir may perform. Today at church our youth bell choir performed.

Once a month we have a high counsel speaker. These are speakers assigned by our stake leadership. A stake is a group/area made up of 5-8 local congregations which we call wards. On the Sunday when the high counsel speaker speaks, we may also have a youth speaker as well as a high counsel companion speaker. The high counsel companion speaker is a young man who is preparing to go on a mission. Speaking in church hones his public speaking skills as well as gives him an opportunity to study a gospel topic in depth in order to prepare for his talk.

After the speakers we sing another hymn and have a closing prayer. The entire service is about 70 minutes long.

Anywho, it was very meaningful and personal. I teared up at one point. It helps me that the homily is short. Too much information and cross references and ideas and this and that and I feel like my head is going to explode. This way it gets right to the heart.

That's my experience anyway.

Yes, this is it exactly. Something that triggers something in me, to be more Christlike. That is what our homilies/sermons are.

This describes my church exactly. With worship at the start of service, sometimes spontaneous time of ministry, plus all of the readings and the sermon is usually at least 30 minutes we are usually at church for 2 hours, 10:30-12:30. Frequently it goes later, til 1pm. The children all get snacks in their nursery/kids church so it isn't a biggie.

While I love structure, and we have plenty of it in the liturgy, I also relish the spontaneous extended worship and times of ministry to individuals. It's worth the late get out time. :)

As for sermons, usually based upon one or more of the scripture readings from our Book of Common Prayer, and it goes into what the readings mean and how they should be applied to us today.

Yes, this is it exactly. Something that triggers something in me, to be more Christlike. That is what our homilies/sermons are.

Ours too. I do love my current priest. His homilies are wonderful even though they are short. The last one he gave can be read here. He is tying a reading from Ezekiel 2 with a reading from Mark 6 together (Deacon gave a homily yesterday.)

ETA: Took out the link since it makes the church address available.

Edited by Parrothead

This sounds exactly like my church.

For us, we currently have a 25 minute worship time (music), 5 min. announcements, and then a 45 min. sermon (Bible study). :)

Same. Although, actually, music and announcements can take longer, but the message is typically 45 minutes.

I wouldn't call it Bible study because it's really more Bible lecturing or leading. Do other people voice their thoughts and interpretations during church? Not really. I think of a Bible study as one where a group of believers are studying together or I'm doing it on my own using different resources, etc. Someone telling me what the Bible says is not really study. lol Sorry to get picky about semantics, but I think that's why our church ALSO has a Sunday school time before church. (Or actual Bible studies throughout the week to choose from.)