Menu

Is your house a really good layout for you?

Ours isn't, but I didn't realize that moving in here.

I really dislike our house right now and would love to move. Dh isn't quite on board. It is a large house, but the layout just stinks. HUGE bedrooms but too few of them and they aren't laid out to where we could create more rooms in them either.

Dawn

LOL, NO! Mainly because when we bought the house we were a couple of D.I.N.K.s (Double Income No Kids)! Who knew that just 4 years after buying our house we'd adopt five kids and then a few years later add another baby? Our little 3 bedroom, 2 bath subdivision home isn't cutting it any more. :) It looked huge when we bought it with the vaulted ceilings and the big kitchen. Oh, and by the way - that HUGE kitchen has no counter space and very few cabinets. Just a bunch of open space. Who knew?? :tongue_smilie:

I don't like our layout at all.

My ideal layout is a ranch with a finished basement. The laundry room must be on the main floor, not the basement, preferably connected to the kitchen. I prefer a large kitchen (large enough to include sofas, chairs, as well as a dining set).

I had that happen in one of our homes. It had 6500 sq. ft. and we could not even sleep in the master bedroom because it was too far away from the baby's room. We spent years using a guest bedroom to sleep in, but the master bathroom to bathe in.

I now spend an entire day in a house before I think about purchasing it.

:)

Ours is the perfect layout for us.....but we rent it.

We lived in a less-than-perfect layout for 10 years that we owned. (It was the land around it that was perfect for us. ;))

Our lease is up soon, and we don't know if our landlord wants to renew it or put the house back on the market. It will be very difficult to find a home that fits us so well.

OUr house is better laid out for us than I would have ever thought.

We had to buy a house last summer when the highway project took our house we had been in for 19 years. It wasn't the best house lay out wise for us but was in a great location with great neighbors and had our little hobby farm, riding trails, etc.

Houses in our area with at least 5 acres (needed for the horses, chickens, etc. per zoning) were and still are very hard to come by---esp. since several hobby farms were ousted by the highway and we were all looking for the same thing.

We found this house online about 6am one morning--it had just hit the websites overnight. We called the realtor at 8 and she got us a showing by 11am (the guy worked nights so had to get up so we could see it). By noon we had put in an offer and by 1pm had bought the house.

I never wanted a 2 story house but this house is a story and a 1/2 or something--sloped roof on front half but full roof in the back. The house was listed as 3 bedrooms 2 baths but is much bigger than listed.

On the main floor we have a laundry room, 1/2 bath, kitchen/dining/family room open combo and then in the front of the house is the small living room and master bedroom with private bath. Upstairs are 2 nice sized bedrooms, full bath and a bonus room that is about 9x11 but only has a sky light and sloped ceiling. Then in the basement we have a small office for dh, a small mechanical/storage area, a spare bedroom, and then we finished off a large bedroom for our son, a family room down there and tomorrow the plumber comes for the full bath down there.

That means that the girls get the upstairs, my son (and his brother and other boys that stay over night/foster boys) get the basement, and dh and I get the main floor. It is a great fit for our family. I LOVE the mainfloor laundry and master suite.

Right now we have a portable ramp so that my mom can get from the garage into the house but if we needed the main floor to be wheelchair accessible full time it would not be hard and we could easily put in a roll in shower in the master bath and widen the doorways.

I also love our location--just a 4 mile walk to my friend's house (we usually start at one house and walk the 4 miles together), lots of horse trails, a township park just across the street and a bit down, etc.

It might not be fancy but it is super liveable for our family.

No. It's big, but there's a lot of wasted space. The bedrooms are very large, but we don't use them for anything but sleeping. They could be much, much smaller and we'd be fine. We have a living room/dining room combo that never gets used. Our kitchen is too small for the size of the house and is more vertical than horizontal. Not good when you're short!

If it were up to me, each of the kids would have tiny bedrooms just big enough for a twin-size bed with a trundle, a small desk and chair, and a bookshelf. I'd do built-ins in the closet for their clothes. I'd set them up Jack & Jill style with a bathroom in between each pair. The master would be big enough for a king-sized bed and nightstands with built-ins in the closet also. I'd have a BIG utility/sewing room. I'd have a huge kitchen with no overhead cabinets, just drawers underneath, attached to a nice-size storeroom. There'd be a big space for a large dining table between the kitchen and a gargantuan family room/school room/play room.

And I'd have a big, wrap-around, screened porch.

Sigh. A girl can dream....

I really dislike our house right now and would love to move. Dh isn't quite on board. It is a large house, but the layout just stinks. HUGE bedrooms but too few of them and they aren't laid out to where we could create more rooms in them either.

Dawn

No. It's awful for teens. Fine for young children though. But we are past that stage.

Yup! But we just moves in last month so I may still be in the honeymoon stage. My favorite feature is that there are two separate stairways. Up one is just a huge bonus room. Up the other are all the kids rooms. So, we can actually use our bonus room at night without the kids being bothered. Love it. Also loving that we finally have a mud room! Ahhhhh.....so much better than a tiny laundry room right in the middle of our kitchen!

NOt perfect, but overall, yes. We have a dry (knock on wood!), non-musty finished basement that we use as a playroom. A requirement in this house when we were house-hunting 2 years ago. I wanted a mudroom. We have a 3 seasons room that connects the house to the garage (was once detached when house was first built 25 years ago). That is the back door and serves as a mudroom plus an area for a clothes drying rack and a couch, and a big armoire to hold art supplies and a huge bookshelf. It still needs tweaking-we want to build lockers, and I still am not really using it optimally. BUt nice to not enter directly to the main part of the house any longer (BTDT in previous houses and I disliked it!). Kitchen is big enough, but eat in area could be a teensy bit bigger for better flow. Laundry is on first floor just off the kitchen a bit, which is great. We've had that in previous homes and I wanted that again. We have a room off the kitchen that was at one time the formal DR, before PO flip flopped formal DR and formal LR (both are reachable from the kitchen). The smaller formal is where I keep our HSing stuff, and we still have a bigger formal space for our DR. MIL gave us her dining set, and it is something I would have picked out myself...it fits perfectly.

My kitchen is north facing and the south facing side of the house gets all of the light. I wish the kitchen was lighter and brighter. We are considering getting recessed lighting installed at some point.

4 BR was important this time around. I"m not opposed to room sharing, but logistically it would have been a bit challenging because I have boy-girl-boy and they are all roughly 3 years apart. So the two boys are 6 years apart, and I assumed that when my DS1 becomes a teen he won't want to share with a brother 6 years younger. If we had to have them share, we would, but we thought it was best to aim for 4 BR.

I dislike being in suburbia, but we have a nice, level half acre lot with decent privacy in the back, mature landscaping, and our house is on a culdesac with other kids for my kids to play with. So suburbia isn't my favorite but it works for us with DH's commute and our price range.

Dawn

I bought this house when it was just ds and me. It was fine then. I still like the lay out...just not big enough for 3 extra people.

Floor plan and neighborhood/location are two of the most important things to me.

I like a traditional lay out....but flow is very very important.

Yes, it is, but we built it. Our last one was perfect, even good enough to hold an annual business team meeting (7-8 folks). But as soon as dd came home, the layout didn't work. It. simply. didn't. Add in another child. It simply didn't work. Squared! Hence the building of the new house.

Crazy!

Yes, I love my house - but we lived in a lot of houses before we bought this one.

It's an older home with real rooms! We didn't want an open layout but many rooms with a purpose. It's only 2100 sf but we have 4 bedrooms and 3 baths.

With 7 people living in the house, we can close a door and get some privacy.

Our previous home was about 2k sf, but it was horrid. Everything felt out of balance, huge dining room, awkward living room, small secondary bedroom, laundry room was tiny. I hated it. the only redeeming quality was a huge wall of built in bookcases.

I missed the house we had lived in before which was only 1100 sf. Ironically when we were looking at houses to moved we stumbled across the one we are currently in. I knew it was perfect (even through it needed work) the first time I set foot in it. Why? It was almost identical to the 1100 sf house I loved. The difference? It had everything done that we had wanted to do to that house, finished dormer room, detached garage, larger kitchen, large closets, original baseboard and doors and floors, and a nice deck on the back.

So yes, after 5 years of unbalance we are now in a house I adore. It's small, but functions perfectly for us. Ds has his own space in the dormer (huge room), I have a deck, dh has a garage. I can sit in my office/classroom and don't feel detached from everyone. I've actually hugged the walls before. I've never felt this way about a house and I'm 45. It's taken many moves to get here.

When we moved in we had a 7 year old and a 5 year old. No 3rd child.

Things look different with more kids and bigger kids!

DH now doesn't like the yard. We have 2.5 acres but it is sloped and he wants more flat land.

The person who build/designed this house had two teens. It is really a perfect house for someone with two teens. Master down and two huge bedrooms upstairs, each with its own bath. Bonus is a room off one of the bedrooms.

It is funny how I still remember some of the houses we looked at 7 years ago and think how some of them would have suited our needs much better.

Dawn

Our previous home was about 2k sf, but it was horrid. Everything felt out of balance, huge dining room, awkward living room, small secondary bedroom, laundry room was tiny. I hated it. the only redeeming quality was a huge wall of built in bookcases.

I missed the house we had lived in before which was only 1100 sf. Ironically when we were looking at houses to moved we stumbled across the one we are currently in. I knew it was perfect (even through it needed work) the first time I set foot in it. Why? It was almost identical to the 1100 sf house I loved. The difference? It had everything done that we had wanted to do to that house, finished dormer room, detached garage, larger kitchen, large closets, original baseboard and doors and floors, and a nice deck on the back.

So yes, after 5 years of unbalance we are now in a house I adore. It's small, but functions perfectly for us. Ds has his own space in the dormer (huge room), I have a deck, dh has a garage. I can sit in my office/classroom and don't feel detached from everyone. I've actually hugged the walls before. I've never felt this way about a house and I'm 45. It's taken many moves to get here.

I am that way about houses. I know what I want in a house now....hope I can find it!!! :)

Yes, this is a wonderful floor plan. But, we made it that way.

Our home is an 104 year old former United Methodist Church with stained glass windows, river-rock accents, full basement, and 20 foot ceilings in what was the sanctuary portion of the building. It is a 75x30 ft. structure so with a 625 sq. ft. balcony (containing two bedrooms, a sitting area, and a hobby room/storage area), 625 sq.ft. basement, we have a total of about 3400 sq. ft or so of living space.

We gutted it while preserving the antique hardwood floors, antique chandeliers, stained glass windows, and as much wood work as possible, and essentially worked with a wide open area and could put walls where we wanted them.

The family room is off the kitchen and doubles as our family area and dining room. It is a 25x25 area. I asked for and received a laundry area that is 10 steps from the bedrooms so I'm not hauling laundry up and down the basement steps as I did in our other houses. My formal living area is down a long haul in the front half of the sanctuary so it has the beautiful lights and windows, but allows me to entertain guests away from the family bedrooms and the family area...this way we don't have to put away all of our science projects, lego disasters, etc. everytime someone wants to visit for a couple of hours and since I have friends with very little ones and we have science projects going ALL the time that are not safe for little ones to be around, I can just close the french door to the hallway and keep those tots with mom and I in the living room. The church foyer (not huge by any standards, but a decent size entry with a coat closet) needs to be remodeled (we just haven't had the time), but it is still there and I try not to think too much about it when people come in. I did at least paint it and have a decent throw rug down! :D

Phase two of the renovation will bring about a private bath for dh and I, the finish work on the balcony railing, and some much needed finish work in the basement.

Our previous house was a lay-out disaster!

Faith

No.

And the kitchen is very awkward.

Oh well.

Not at all good.

My kitchen is also awkward.

But, I knew that when I bought it. We bought it for many factors related to location and amount of level driveway and sidewalk for kids to learn to ride bikes. It backs to a beautiful open space nature corridor. We live with with the weird layout and awkward kitchen. I have gorgeous trees instead.

I love our house. But as my kids get bigger, it may need some changes. The people who built it took a 4-bedroom upstairs plan and made it 3 bedrooms, with the master bedroom being ~2.5x the size of the others. When we bought it, we were 3 adults (not related so all separate bedrooms). We used the small "bedroom" on the 1st floor for an office.

The thought was that if any of us was going to have a family, we'd meet Mr. Right, get married, move out, and then have kids.

Didn't happen that way.

I adopted a couple of kids and they share the little room on the 1st floor. It is perfect for now, but as they get older, they will probably become restless for more space. If all 5 of us continue to live here, we'll either split the "master bedroom" or use part of the family room to create more bedroom space downstairs. Or possibly expand the floor plan in some other way.

Ours works very well. It's about 1800 sf all on one level (which is why we moved--dd is in a wheel chair and our 3-level house wasn't going to work!). The space is used well--no formal living or dining room. 3 bedrooms plus an office, 2 baths, one large, open living area that includes the great room, eating area, and kitchen. We can retire here too and it won't be too much house for us when the kids are gone.

Ours is ok. I would prefer from the garage to have a straight hard floor path to the kitchen, instead the kitchen is the dead end after you walk through the great room/eating area. I wish the dining area was about 2 feet wider to allow for a wider table and more room between table/bar stools.

I have a decent sized den downstairs I use for sewing. There is a MASSIVE bonus room upstairs, however DH uses it for his office :glare:. I NEVER have to feel bad for making him keep all his junk in there though so it works out. Each kid has their own room, and we have a huge master except I think at the very end they went "Oh crap, we forgot the closet," and just carved a tiny square out. That is my biggest problem with the entire house. I have a very tiny closet.

We have an upstairs landing and another bedroom next to it, but I wish it were bigger. It is just on the other side of the wall of DH's office, and if we were to stay here forever we would definitely move the wall over to make it larger/DH's smaller. My laundry room is more of a tunnel but there is a large area outside of the laundry room so I am thinking of making a folding station there or something.

For homeschooling we school in the great room. There is a corner area where my kids each have a desk and a huge framed white board. In my sewing room, I plan to make some changes in there over the summer. I'm in the midst of turning my closet in there in to a desk and built ins so I have another desk area and white board. The only problem with having school in the main area is sometimes one child needs to work while I give a lesson or help the other, and someone needs it quiet.

Yes. Its' a 4 x 4 farmhouse with large bedrooms. Since our remodel we have a 1/2 or full bath on all 3 floors. The basement is finished with a 5th bedroom. The attic will be finished as well one day soon. The first floor is an open floor plan with an enclosed front porch. I love our house.

I'd like a bigger kitchen/diner. It's small and there's no sensible way of knocking through a wall to make it bigger. When we have some money we are going to change the layout, but it will still be small.

Other than that: I'd prefer if the house was more compact, with fewer outside walls, to reduce the heating costs.

Laura

we rent and right now it's great. We have to get a new rental this summer and I am finding houses laid out ok but horrible yards! And outside space is just as important to us.

It's funny b/c some of the houses we bought we didn't love...high markets, get what you can...but ended up loving the flow.

Try to see what you can change to make it work. Or seriously consider moving.

Yes. Its' a 4 x 4 farmhouse with large bedrooms. Since our remodel we have a 1/2 or full bath on all 3 floors. The basement is finished with a 5th bedroom. The attic will be finished as well one day soon. The first floor is an open floor plan with an enclosed front porch. I love our house.

What is a 4 X 4 farmhouse?

We thought ours was fine . . .medium sized house with largish rooms. I was even able to turn the family room into a dance studio. However, we found out about six years after living in it that our son would need a wheelchair. The house is two stories. Right now, putting in a stairlift and ramps seems less daunting than marketing a house. Still, I WISH it was a rancher. We didn't even LOOK at ranchers when we bought this house.

The lay out is good, but we've outgrown it. There are also some things I'd like to change, like I wish laundry were upstairs with the bedrooms and I wish we had more outdoor space. Otherwise, the set up is good; bedrooms top floor, kitchen and living area on the main and playroom in the basement. Works well, babies can sleep upstairs while the kids run crazy 2 floors below with no disruption.

I like the layout of our house, but we only moved in 5 months ago so we knew exactly what we needed. There are four bedrooms and a laundry room on the 2nd floor, with an ensuite and an extra bathroom. The main floor is pretty open, but just the right size. The basement is unfinished, but we could turn it into a rec room and a bedroom fairly easily if we needed the space. I like having the the four bedrooms and the laundry room together, and that's where we spend most of the day. The boys share a room, so we have a school room and a play room that have doors that we can close to hide the mess when we have guests. :D

When looking for our house, we wanted something that would have a main floor that was handicapped friendly---with a bathroom, bedroom and living space that was wheelchair friendly (or could easily be made that way).

I also walked through the house and mentally thought about doing laundry and hauling in groceries--my 2 biggies, along with other just lifestyle things. So many houses just didn't fit the way we lived.

Yes, this is a wonderful floor plan. But, we made it that way.

Our home is an 104 year old former United Methodist Church with stained glass windows, river-rock accents, full basement, and 20 foot ceilings in what was the sanctuary portion of the building. It is a 75x30 ft. structure so with a 625 sq. ft. balcony (containing two bedrooms, a sitting area, and a hobby room/storage area), 625 sq.ft. basement, we have a total of about 3400 sq. ft or so of living space.

We gutted it while preserving the antique hardwood floors, antique chandeliers, stained glass windows, and as much wood work as possible, and essentially worked with a wide open area and could put walls where we wanted them.

The family room is off the kitchen and doubles as our family area and dining room. It is a 25x25 area. I asked for and received a laundry area that is 10 steps from the bedrooms so I'm not hauling laundry up and down the basement steps as I did in our other houses. My formal living area is down a long haul in the front half of the sanctuary so it has the beautiful lights and windows, but allows me to entertain guests away from the family bedrooms and the family area...this way we don't have to put away all of our science projects, lego disasters, etc. everytime someone wants to visit for a couple of hours and since I have friends with very little ones and we have science projects going ALL the time that are not safe for little ones to be around, I can just close the french door to the hallway and keep those tots with mom and I in the living room. The church foyer (not huge by any standards, but a decent size entry with a coat closet) needs to be remodeled (we just haven't had the time), but it is still there and I try not to think too much about it when people come in. I did at least paint it and have a decent throw rug down! :D

Phase two of the renovation will bring about a private bath for dh and I, the finish work on the balcony railing, and some much needed finish work in the basement.

Our previous house was a lay-out disaster!

Faith

I would love to see pictures!! That sounds amazing!

Yes, but we designed it and had it built. There is hardly anything that I would change (maybe the placement of a couple of light switches or the direction a couple of doors open;)).....oh, and I would have made the guest room a bit bigger.

I wish our room were close to the kids rather than this split plan. My fear is during a fire or break in I cannot get to my kids. Day to day it is ok. It would be nice if the boys room was about 5 inches wider to accommodate two twin beds on one side of the room, but we are managing.

I like:

Square footage is devoted to living areas instead of bedrooms.

My kitchen isn't great but it is sufficient.

I don't like:

The almost non-existent closets.

The bedrooms are all together on one side of the house. I wish one of the bedrooms were separated just a little because noise carries, you know?

So there's good and bad. :p My house is old and in need of repairs and decorating, but we made do.

We thought ours was fine . . .medium sized house with largish rooms. I was even able to turn the family room into a dance studio. However, we found out about six years after living in it that our son would need a wheelchair. The house is two stories. Right now, putting in a stairlift and ramps seems less daunting than marketing a house. Still, I WISH it was a rancher. We didn't even LOOK at ranchers when we bought this house.

Pre-kids I was a physical therapist in Early Intervention. I so wish there was more funding or better options for families like yours. Ugggh.

I hope you can find something that works for you soon.

We just bought our home last month. So far we're still loving it. We went from a 1400 sq ft rental to a 2900 sq ft 2 story home. It was important that we have 4 bedrooms and that they all be on the same level. We got that. We also have a formal dining room and my DH has his own office space. So, plenty of space and laid out exactly like we wanted.

Now I just need furniture to fill all the space up! :tongue_smilie:

Ours is a great fit for us. It's ironic because it's a split foyer which I've always said was my absolute least favorite style of house. I still don't think it's all that pretty but it works well. We have a largish open kitchen/dining/living room upstairs which is great for homeschooling, all being together and for parties. We have really big windows in the living area which looks out over our back yard so I can keep an eye out while the kids play. We have three bedrooms upstairs, which works well for our family. Downstairs we have a somewhat awkward family room but we've done a lot to make it more usable and I think it will be a great space for teens one day, somewhat removed from us but not too isolated.

What sold me on our house was the backyard, the windows and our proximity to a bike trail. I thought the layout and the ugly cement patio were just things we'd figure out. But the layout works great for us and the ugly patio has become a haven for skateboards/scooters and bikes. So, go figure.

What is a 4 X 4 farmhouse?

A 4 x 4 is 4 bedrooms on the 2nd floor over 4 rooms on the first- the kitchen, dining room, and 2 front rooms.

Ours was (I think) a Sears kit- (they were the largest manufactors of homes in the 20's) and so it was a bit customized before the fire. The front half of the first floor was totally open with 9' ceilings and windows everywhere, plus and "eyebrow" wall in the dining room- (so that room is 6 "sided"). Anyway, we have taken out the wall between the kitchen and dining room so the first floor is WIDE open with 10 windows plus a huge 8'x 5' window in the living room. It is so open and light. The basement has 9' ceilings as well and it is really light, too. Did I mention that I love our house? :001_smile:

A 4 x 4 is 4 bedrooms on the 2nd floor over 4 rooms on the first- the kitchen, dining room, and 2 front rooms.

Ours was (I think) a Sears kit- (they were the largest manufactors of homes in the 20's) and so it was a bit customized before the fire. The front half of the first floor was totally open with 9' ceilings and windows everywhere, plus and "eyebrow" wall in the dining room- (so that room is 6 "sided"). Anyway, we have taken out the wall between the kitchen and dining room so the first floor is WIDE open with 10 windows plus a huge 8'x 5' window in the living room. It is so open and light. The basement has 9' ceilings as well and it is really light, too. Did I mention that I love our house? :001_smile:

Ooooh....I like it. Now I am dying to see the floor plan. :tongue_smilie: Dh might build us a house.....so I'm all about house plans now.

I do think I want a bedroom downstairs though. After I saw my first FIL in a hospital bed in living room because he couldn't get upstairs to his bedroom...:(

No.

And the kitchen is very awkward.

Oh well.

This is my main problem with our house. But, we just moved in in Jan. It's so hard to figure out what will/will not work when you're walking through someone else's house. Sigh.

Otherwise this house is just fine.

I long ago gave up on "the dream home." I know some people are lucky enough to find it, but it has always eluded me. I guess I'm just hard to please.

Our house isn't horrible, but not great either. It is mostly in the details though. Like the fact that the upstairs shower is right above where the couch is in the living room and the plumbing runs in the wall behind the couch. We have to turn up the volume on the tv is someone is running water upstairs. :glare:. The wiring for the TV,cable etc are all on one wall and due to doorways, there isn't an easy way to move where the couch is placed.

I would never buy this floor plan again, but it is livable at least.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap