Menu

What do your kiddos wear

What do your kiddos wear in school?  

1. 1. What do your kiddos wear in school?

• Uniforms
    • Regular Clothes
    • Pajamas

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't vote- there was no "other"

Dance leotard and tights, usually with shorts or tank top as a cover-up for Diamond. At least 3 days/week she takes or assistant-teaches a class at the studio, sometimes morning and afternoon/evening, so she just stays in her dance clothes on those days.

SweetChild & BabyBaby wear regular clothes

I wear my "pajamas" which are actually regular clothes used only for sleeping until I get my shower- usually after I get them started on their work.

Oh, and dance leotard and warm-up pants for me if it;s Wednesday morning before my Tap class. :lol:

No PJs. Getting dressed is not much, just, a fresh t-shirt and pulling on some knit shorts, or kahkis (he does not like jeans.) He always wears socks, no matter what, because of exzema, and slips shoes on to go out. He does not wear the knit shorts out in public. I put on tie-up shoes, because Flylady said it would help keep me motoring along, and it does.

I instituted a uniform policy this year. I think it has really helped them concentrate better and have more of a "school" attitude than a "home" attitude.

You needed the "other" option. Typically, my kids wear jammies until around lunch time and then they eat, get dressed, etc. Some days - my teenager stays in her jammie bottoms all day. Most days, my 7 year old dresses by afternoon. I don't get uniforms. Do they change into play clothes when there school is done? Sounds like way too much laundry and work for me. Of course, I tend to stay in jammies until I get my shower which many days isn't until around noon. I guess they get the jammie thing from me. I like to be comfy and sometimes clothes - don't fit the bill.

That's my son's favorite style too.

Oh, good. I figure it's a preteen/teen boy thing. I have him shower most days thinking he will change. He claims he changes his underwear and then puts his clothes back on. :confused::confused:

Yay, another homeschooler who does uniforms!

Uniforms mean that...

The kids are able to practice the art of mixing and matching while dressing themselves.

Wouldn't you say wearing regular clothes achieves the same thing?

They are preparing to commit the,selves to their studies (this isn't play time).

We "do schoolish" stuff on and off all day. Studies aren't always confined to a certain time or space.

They will easily transition to dressing appropriately for work, when they're older.

I worked from home for a decade and never wore true work clothes. My dh works as a mechanic for the state and wears typical clothes - jeans and a shirt.

When we go to the library or on a field trip, I don't lose them in a crowd.

I do this too, but I just have a neon green t-shirt or a bright yellow one I put on my younger one. I can spot it from far, far across a football field. My teenager would really want to strangle me if I told her what to wear and I get that because I remember being 13.

During outings, other people are less likely to think they are truents.

I could care less if people think we are truants. Honestly, I don't think most people think that anymore anyway. We were just at Sam's Club on Tuesday and there were at least 3 other homeschool families in there that morning.

During outings, they convey via their appearance that education is highly valued and something we take seriously.

I guess I will just have to disagree on this one. Do you really think that clothing means you kids are better educated and take things more seriously? I am thinking some of the world's greatest ideas came from people wearing whatever struck their fancy at the time.

They get to choose the types of clothing they want to wear from a wide range of uniform options (it's not just plaid anymore!).

They like that they are somewhat coordinated like the kids in The Sound of Music and Harry Potter.

I think some of the anti-uniforms perspective might be mitigated by taking a look at modern uniforms: http://www.frenchtoast.com/

This is interesting, but I honestly don't get uniforms.

I'm so glad I don't have children who need uniforms. That would have been a funny twist though since I turned down a teaching job because the students wore uniforms. Haha! I have very negative feelings about them. My first teaching job was in a school with uniforms and I happened to express my dislike. Oh wow, that upset people and I heard all the reasons why it was better. That school year must have been a fluke because the reasons I was given never materialized.

After that year I left hat school and just couldn't stand to be in another uniform environment.

My kids wear normal clothes. Usually athletic wear. I expect them clean and dressed with coordinated outfits and hair fixed. Is almost always a tank top for the girls. Then when it's time to leave for tkd they can change quickly.

I only buy them 2 or 3 pairs of shorts so they wear the same bottoms 2-3 days.

They do have a couple nicer casual outfits for outings and they have Sunday clothes. They have no problem dressing however is appropriate for the occasion.

I get though that some people need the uniform approach. In those cases uniforms are the way to go. The only wrong choice is failing to make the best choice for your family.

You dont have an other or naked option, so i cant vote. :glare: :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I do make them get dressed after breakfast, but invariably at some point during school time, one or both of them will get undressed down to their underwear. Ds2 usually stays in his clothes, but ds1 will usually change back into pajamas at some point during the day as well.

However, the people whose kids "must" wear only pajamas or "must" wear their jeans are going to find out that this is not the real world. Every job my daughter has had since she finished homeschooling required her to wear some kind of uniform. I did have her wear uniforms most of the time because otherwise her attention was elsewhere and wearing the uniform seemed to help her realize that she was supposed to be doing school work. I also had to make her sit at a desk most of the time as well or nothing got done. She is ADHD though.

However, the people whose kids "must" wear only pajamas or "must" wear their jeans are going to find out that this is not the real world. Every job my daughter has had since she finished homeschooling required her to wear some kind of uniform. I did have her wear uniforms most of the time because otherwise her attention was elsewhere and wearing the uniform seemed to help her realize that she was supposed to be doing school work. I also had to make her sit at a desk most of the time as well or nothing got done. She is ADHD though.

Yes, my ds wears a uniform at work. It wasn't hard though to make the transition from normal clothes to uniform. I have 2 adhd kids and they wear regular clothes and prefer to do their work on the couch or floor. This is an improvement over hanging upside down on the couch. LOL

I don't care how people dress their kids. If you are educating your kids, have a good relationship, and mom & kids are mostly happy then I approve. :D

Forget the clothes. Mine don't even brush their hair. Ever. (They do brush their teeth though).

I'm hoping girls will change that habit in the future.

They will. :D My oldest won't leave the house without a shower and doing his hair with products and hair dryer. He was also one that liked to wear the same outfit all week and he was the hardest to get into the shower. I used to threaten that we'd both get in the shower in our bathing suits and I would show him how to wash his hair darn it. Makes me laugh now.

How does most of the world cope then? The number of schools around here requiring uniforms is exceedingly small and yet the adults seem to figure it out. It sounds like the argument that ps'ers give as hs'ers have to be w/ other kids all day to figure out socialization, or follow a strict ps schedule to figure out life later. Kids and adults are not the same. Much comes with maturity and trying to making kids act like adults doesn't hasten that IMO. I don't have a problem if others want to wear uniforms, I'm sure it works well for some. However, I'm not trying to replicate school at home, don't have the funds for uniforms and just really don't care. It seems not to matter to ds what he is wearing, he is progressing just fine despite our not having uniforms.

I voted regular clothes, but its frequently jammies. I'm anti uniform! My kids love to dress matchy, so they usually have one matchy outfit they can wear for outings so they are easy to spot. Their matchg ourfits are more boutique then uniform!

How does most of the world cope then? The number of schools around here requiring uniforms is exceedingly small and yet the adults seem to figure it out. It sounds like the argument that ps'ers give as hs'ers have to be w/ other kids all day to figure out socialization, or follow a strict ps schedule to figure out life later. Kids and adults are not the same. Much comes with maturity and trying to making kids act like adults doesn't hasten that IMO. I don't have a problem if others want to wear uniforms, I'm sure it works well for some. However, I'm not trying to replicate school at home, don't have the funds for uniforms and just really don't care. It seems not to matter to ds what he is wearing, he is progressing just fine despite our not having uniforms.

:iagree:

This is exactly what I was thinking in response to Luanne's post.

Regular clothes. Pajamas are for bedrooms here, so they change before they come down in the morning.

My ds looks like he's wearing a school uniform most days :D, because I buy the Izod/etc. school uniform polos on sale for a few dollars at the end of the season for the next. Then I buy him a few pairs of khaki or navy pants.

Wow, lots of responses!

Ok, well, for us, uniforms work well. As far as laundry, I would *think* we do less laundry than those who wear regular clothes. They each have 2 shirts, and one pair of khakis. They wear that every day, then I wash on Saturday. We have church clothes, and play clothes, and their play clothes stay nice enough to wear out to b-day parties or restaurants or whatever. After school, if we are not going anywhere, or they don't want to play outside, they just put on their pajamas.

Ironically, for field trips, they wear regular clothes! I like "looking like" a homeschool family! :tongue_smilie:

Home attitude vs. school attitude ~ well, I have 3 boys whose "home" attitude is to wrestle, tease, fight, yell, and run around w/guns, light sabers, playing soldiers and whatever else. W/O uniforms, they had tendencies to be loud and have way, way too much talking and bantering going on between them. Uniforms puts them into a "school" mode where they really do seem to pay more attention, try harder, and concentrate better, and, quite honestly, learn better. The difference between last year's "wear whatever you can find" and this year is AMAZING. So much less frustrating. So it works for **us**. I grew up wearing school uniforms until high school when I went to public school. I don't think it makes much of a difference if you GO to school, but at home, I feel like they need to be accountable for their personal appearance and adherence to an educational schedule, just as if they were leaving the house to go to school.

eeeek, battery about to die, about to shut down...........gotta go for now.....

Our rule for ds is underware must be worn at all times (school or no). ;) He is hot-natured and strips off his clothes the moment he comes inside. If he should become a little chilly in just his tiny boxer briefs, there is a Jedi robe hanging in the school closet. :tongue_smilie: And yes, we take education very seriously!

Our rule for ds is underware must be worn at all times (school or no). ;) He is hot-natured and strips off his clothes the moment he comes inside. If he should become a little chilly in just his tiny boxer briefs, there is a Jedi robe hanging in the school closet. :tongue_smilie: And yes, we take education very seriously!

I wish I had a like button!

For myself, if I don't get out of my pjs and at least put on a bra, I can't get into "Homeschool Mode." There's just something about changing out of sleeping clothes that mentally cues me to get down to business. I don't insist on my kids changing, but they've gotten into my habit.

As long as the underwear is covered, I don't care what anyone wears. We do 3/4 of our work at the glass dinette table so pants/shorts/skirt/whatever is mandatory.

My ds wakes up early, picks out nice, matching clothes, and is ready to go. Dd, however, would be in undies all day if she could get away with it.

Here is a pic of DD in her's lat year - it doesn't show the whole uniform but you can get an idea. This one was a sailor style blouse and a plaid jumper.

WHERE DID YOU GET THE SAILOR BLOUSE??????

I have three Sailor Moon fans who would LOVE to have one (not necessarily for school) and all I can find online is weirdo sites selling, ummmmm, schoolgirl uniforms for adults. :glare: :eek::ack2:

229777_10150241043025874_6461088_n.jpg

Here are my kids' old uniforms.

264465_10150283516930874_746600873_9494726_5274140_n.jpgThe new ones have forest green shirts instead (the picture is pretty dark).

I let them pick the new one -- they voted on it.

Next time I may have dd design a school crest that I can have embroidered on if it's not too expensive.

We wear pajamas most of the time. When I am home, I pretty much live in t-shirts and pajama/lounge/sweat pants. The girls, however, do know that if the abuse the privilege and we have too many problems with school motivation, the pajamas will go and they will have to get dressed.

I use to sometimes have to insist on clothes as in, "you must cover your privates, and cover them in a way that lets you move."

(No wrapping a blanket around you and calling yourself dressed)

I have not had to say that for awhile. Now both kids where shorts and a t-shirt or a tank top (t-shirt with no sleeves). Eldest HATES pants.

Everyone wears clothes, except on days their sister stays home from school on holiday then they all try to stay in pjs.

You can save even more time with clothes if you try to institute the my ds's favorite style. Wear the same outfit the whole week until mom catches you and makes you change.

My kids enjoy doing this. Youngest the most. Sometimes he acts like I'm murdering puppies when I insist he wear something different, "But, WHY?" Then whatever he puts on will end up becoming his new favorite.

The only exception with Youngest is socks. He loves the feel of nice clean socks and if given the option will put on a new pair of socks every time he leaves the house.

There are many things that are not "real world" in an educational environment. My son is picky about clothes, my dh is picky about clothes, my dad is picky about clothes. I also let my ds sleep in, and that's not real world for many. However, my dad worked in a career from 2pm to 10pm most of his life so he could sleep in. I also let ds have his hair longer. For us, it's part of letting him develop into who he will become. If sleeping in stays important and not just a growing teen thing, he may find a job working non-traditional hours. There are plenty of people who don't work 9 to 5. If wearing what he wants stays important then he may have to find a company where dress code is flexible. Those are out there.

Part of these have become non-issues for me because our family has been slammed with "real world" carp in the last few years. It has caused stress, insomnia, and many really bad days. It has also created discipline, not because of what we wear, when we get up, or how we wear our hair, but because in order to finish we had to keep moving. We take education seriously because it should be taken seriously, it's an inner drive I'm trying to instill. For us it's easier to work on the internal motivation when we have choices on the external.

There are many things that are not "real world" in an educational environment. My son is picky about clothes, my dh is picky about clothes, my dad is picky about clothes. I also let my ds sleep in, and that's not real world for many. However, my dad worked in a career from 2pm to 10pm most of his life so he could sleep in. I also let ds have his hair longer. For us, it's part of letting him develop into who he will become. If sleeping in stays important and not just a growing teen thing, he may find a job working non-traditional hours. There are plenty of people who don't work 9 to 5. If wearing what he wants stays important then he may have to find a company where dress code is flexible. Those are out there.

:iagree:

My ds sleeps in, has long hair, and wears whatever he wants to wear. (He doesn't like pajamas any more, so that's not an issue here. :001_smile:) I don't think that the clothes a child wears for school will have any impact whatsoever upon what he will wear when he's "out in the real world," whether in college or at a job. I think it's ridiculous to assume that our kids won't be able to adapt their clothing choices to whatever environment they happen to encounter, just because they didn't wear a school uniform or a particular type of outfit for homeschooling.

My ds is just as comfortable in a tuxedo as he is in jeans and a t-shirt. He realizes that the attire that is appropriate for one occasion may be totally wrong for another.

The same thing goes for sleeping in vs. having a tight schedule. Ds can get up early if we need to go somewhere, and I have no doubt that he will be able to adapt to whatever school or work schedule he's ever faced with. It's really not rocket science. You set an alarm and you get up. At first, you're pretty tired all the time, but then you figure out what works for you and you adapt.

I think sometimes there is a tendency to underestimate our children's ability to adapt and change when confronted with a new situation, and honestly, if figuring out what to wear and how to get up on time are the worst things they ever have to deal with, I would consider them to be truly blessed indeed.

229777_10150241043025874_6461088_n.jpg

Here are my kids' old uniforms.

264465_10150283516930874_746600873_9494726_5274140_n.jpgThe new ones have forest green shirts instead (the picture is pretty dark).

I let them pick the new one -- they voted on it.

Next time I may have dd design a school crest that I can have embroidered on if it's not too expensive.

I'd be REALLY scared to take a book off that shelf. YIKES!

One of the advantages of homeschooling in Australia is that you don't have to wear a school uniform - no way would I make my kids wear one at home -it's a novelty not too :tongue_smilie:

My kids usually get dressed in playclothes or nicer clothes if we are going out.

We rarely stay in our pyjamas even when sick.

You didn't offer an "other" option. ;) I have two dds who wear regular clothing and one who wears "whatever". The "whatever" wearer has SPD and prefers more pajama-like clothing anyway. As long as the kids are working hard, I couldn't care less what they wear. :) Now, when we leave the house, that's another issue altogether! :001_smile:

Please tell me I did not just hear the "real world" argument from a fellow homeschool mom. :001_huh:

Out of 7 jobs, starting when I was a teen, only 2 required a uniform--one was at a restaurant, and one at a coffee shop (the other one I worked at did not require a uniform). The bulk of my employment has been at a college--yes, teaching, and not in uniform. And yes, it was perfectly fine to wear jeans. :D

I think it's lovely that wearing a uniform helped your daughter to focus. But the idea that a child that wears jeans is going to have trouble adjusting to the "real world" is...just...:glare:.