Menu

What are you theological "Hills worth dying on"

People of all belief systems are encouraged to reply. I am :bigear:

What do you consider essential to your belief system? What's Important? What's open to discussion/non-essential?

FWIW, I'm a liberal Christian (in some ways) and I have very few absolutes (deity of Christ, trinity, resurrection are my theological "hills").

Where this question springs from:

I was totally floored a few weeks ago when I discovered a group (a private school) that considers six 24 hour day creation account a "hill worth dying on." Kids whose parents don't believe this or other points on their SOF (like my kids) aren't allowed in. I was :blink::svengo: .

I'm not shocked that people believe that, I was shocked that it could possibly be THAT important, kwim? (The rationale was that the school teaches this POV, and they don't want parents counteracting the teaching at home. I do understand their reasoning, even if I don't agree.)

Anyway, it got me wondering what people consider essential vs. important vs. optional.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity :)

When we first became Christians, we spoke with the rector at the the Episcopal church we planned on joining. He said there are three things you have to believe to be a Christian and all the rest doesn't really matter.

1. That Jesus was Jesus from conception. God didn't just see a good guy and say "I'll make that guy the savior of humanity!" It was the plan from the start.

2. That Jesus really died and was really dead.

3. That Jesus was really resurrected.

I tend to agree.

Pretty much the Nicene Creed, and the Trinity, and Jesus fully God, fully human.

I believe there has to be some sort of action in response to God's love in order to be saved; I'm not a universalist, nor am I reform in theology, but I leave who is saved up to God.

My hubby says he knows how to be saved, he's just not sure how to not be.

Well, things that are spelled out pretty clearly in the Bible as they are things God chose to reveal so fully. So my list is pretty long (and some directly contradict yours). One of the reasons I believe some "outlying" beliefs (past God, Jesus, the Kingdom, salvation) are so important is because there are consequences to the other belief options far past a brief debate on the message board. Just for example: Hell....the very nature of God is in question when we consider the various beliefs about Hell.

ETA: John 17:3 would be my explanation on why more is important. Seriously, we have the entire Bible for a reason. If it *really* could be narrowed down to 3 sentences, then he wouldn't have preserved the scriptures so well :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

Interesting question! I think for me, the beliefs laid out in the Nicene Creed would be the most basic statement of essential beliefs. There are other things that I would add as being very, very important (e.g. the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist). But one particular interpretation of the Genesis account would definitely not be anywhere on my list.

Without the 6 days of creation being "real" than the whole Bible could all be one big story and also not real. That is why the 6 days of creation is so important. The bible says morning and evening. The scripture others use to argue is that "to the Lord one day is like a thousand." I do not believe it means one morning and evening day could equal a thousands days, but it is meant to show how patient God is towards us. Also, time does not exist for God. But time does exist for us.

Another issue with 6 days instead of millions is evolution. The bible says God created everything. Man was formed in "His" image, and therefore couldn't possibly have evolved from an ape. Yet if one day was not one day but really thousands than you could argue for evolution instead of creation.

This leads to saying that dinosaurs didn't roam the earth at the same time as man, which I believe they did. It also could lead you to saying all the animals couldn't possibly fit on a boat. You could also cave in and say Jonah couldn't have survived being swallowed by a fish...That walls couldn't possibly fall by an army marching around...That God couldn't come to the Earth in the form of a baby, born of a virgin...That dead people cannot come alive again...That there is no such thing as Evil.

I agree that 6 Days is the Basis of the Entire Holy Bible.

Jesus is the risen Lord

The Bible is the inerrant word of God

We are saved by grace through faith

The Apostles and Nicean Creed sum things up pretty good for me.

I have a group of friends that I used to work with from various Christian churches, Catholic, Orthodox, Assembly of God, Reformed Presbyterian, Baptist, Lutheran. We had many interesting discussions and we all learned alot from each other. They all believe in Christ and study the Bible a lot. We did have lots of different theological beliefs that would be a make or break deal for me attending their churches or sending dd to one of their private schools. Through this I have seen how the church I have been affiliated with for years could do better, but I also see the things that they do right. One thing we all had in common though was that we were all pretty conservative, socially and economically.

ETA: I also don't think you can separate the Law and Gospel.

Edited by Mama Geek

Wanted to add that while I believe all that is super important to be Saved you only have to believe that Jesus was God in the Flesh, came to Earth to be born of a virgin, Lived a life without Sin, Died and Rose again to cover our sins. You have to believe you have sin in your life and cannot obtain Heaven through any other way than Jesus. It is a relationship, not a religion or a set of rules.

Essential:

Triune God

Sovereignty of God

Deity of Christ

Virgin birth of Christ

Inerrancy of Scripture

Perfect sinless life of Christ

Atoning death of Christ

Resurrection of Christ

Salvation by grace, through faith

Christ is returning again to judge the living and the dead

Existence of hell

Not worth dying for:

Origin of universe - though I am a YEC

Cessationism/continuationism/charismatic

Millenial views

Other eschatological views (Rapture, tribulation, etc)

Edited by tntgoodwin

The beliefs outlined in the Small Catechism, probably: Ten Commandments, Apostle's Creed, Lord's Prayer, Holy Baptism, the Sacrament of the Altar, and Confession/Absolution. Those encompass the core of what I believe, center everything around Christ and His saving work on the cross.

Depends what you mean by "hill to die on", though. I wouldn't go to a church that didn't have a sacramental understanding of baptism/communion, but I wouldn't make it a requirement to be in my homeschool group. I might make it part of the defining beliefs of the group, if it were an explicitly Christian one, but I wouldn't require people to sign a SoF just to join.

But that might say more about my attitude towards SoFs than my particular theological hills to die on.

Well, I'm coming from an ENTIRELY different perspective than the previous posters, I think! I grew up in a Jesus Camp-type church, so when my dd recently started asking if we could please go to church, I had a few non-negotiables to deal with.

1) Absolutely, positively, no "Our way is the one and only right way, and all others are wrong and doomed for all eternity."

2) No scaring children with Hell or the Devil

3) A loving acceptance of all people, gay, straight, black, white, yellow, or red, rich or poor, male or female. This includes the clergy and ordination rules.

4) The services could not be too hokey or cheesy. I wanted dh to come with us, and the sad hymns at the UU church we attended for a while had us both giggling. No trying too hard to be everything to everybody wrt theology. I realize to many of y'all, that probably contradicts #1-3. ;)

Believe it or not, I actually found a church that meets all these criteria! Bonus: They actually teach Bible stories in Sunday School, and use Bible verses in the services and materials. I consider that important from a cultural standpoint, considering we live in the Bible Belt. It has been a tremendous relief to me that I can now offer that to my kids in a way that does not include the terror that I was raised with. I spent the first 15 or so years of my life sure that God was going to smite me at any second. :lol:

Essential:

Triune God

Sovereignty of God

Deity of Christ

Virgin birth of Christ

Inerrancy of Scripture

Atoning death of Christ

Resurrection of Christ

Not worth dying for:

Millenial views

Agree about the not worth dying for stuff!

God created the universe (a long long time ago, I accept evolution)

I believe in the trinity, deity of Christ, his death and resurrection for our salvation. I've gone through a lot of shifts in my thinking and what I believe but these are things I've managed to cling to through all that.

I don't mean to offend young earth creationists, but I find it kind of crazy to elevate the age of the earth to a salvation issue. I would think if it was really that vital, Jesus would have mentioned it at some point in time, at least in passing. "Oh btw, the earth is really super young ya'll. This is important. Write it down." Instead certain people are using this issue to be very divisive among Christians. There is an attitude among SOME YEC (not all!) that you are a lesser Christian or simply not a Christian at all if you don't believe this. But there are many groups that elevate various doctrines that Jesus didn't exactly talk about to salvation issues.

We believe in one God,

the Father, the Almighty,

Maker of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,

the only Son of God,

eternally begotten of the Father,

God from God, Light from Light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made,

of one Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation

he came down from heaven:

by the power of the Holy Spirit

he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,

and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again

in accordance with the Scriptures;

he ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,

and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come.

and i would add:

I believe in the Real Presence and that there is an apstolic succession

I won't compromise on my belief that God is in every human. God is not partisan. Contrary to what my kids will probably hear in school, "we" are not better than "those other people" who conscientiously practice different faiths.

Of course, I don't wear that belief on my shirt - it would probably get my kids kicked out of their Lutheran school. But I tell my kids what I believe.

I will pay non-member tuition despite attending church, because I don't plan to make the required statement that there is only one path to a relationship with God / salvation. Thankfully, the school is more than willing to take the extra money and not push the membership issue.

So, if your preacher has different beliefs than those that are essential to you, what do you do? He doesn't necessarily preach it, but you know that he has opposite beliefs. The church as whole, I'm not sure what they believe. It seems that no one is on the "same page" as far as beliefs.

There are many paths to knowledge of the divine.

:iagree:

All non-violent paths are valid.

God is love and energy, and we cannot comprehend the reality of he/she/its existence

Faith and belief cannot be demanded or created through fear

:lol:

When we first became Christians, we spoke with the rector at the the Episcopal church we planned on joining. He said there are three things you have to believe to be a Christian and all the rest doesn't really matter.

1. That Jesus was Jesus from conception. God didn't just see a good guy and say "I'll make that guy the savior of humanity!" It was the plan from the start.

2. That Jesus really died and was really dead.

3. That Jesus was really resurrected.

I tend to agree.

Yup. This is pretty much it for me too. And fwiw, we too are Episcopalians.

So, if your preacher has different beliefs than those that are essential to you, what do you do? He doesn't necessarily preach it, but you know that he has opposite beliefs. The church as whole, I'm not sure what they believe. It seems that no one is on the "same page" as far as beliefs.

That's the whole point of it being an essential. I wouldn't attend a church that didn't have the same essentials.

I am a Bible believing Christian and a Liberal. (fair warning I guess)

I was raised by Christian parents and I developed my own firm, indiviual faith in my 20's. I study my Bible seriously.

The more I read and study and pray and grow the fewer hills I find worth dying for. God is great, God is huge, and I can not file him in a box of my own defining. Politically and socially I find myself moving ever leftward. My guiding principle are love, pray and do no harm.

I believe

1. God created the world and man for His own purposes. It doesn't really matter how.

2. We can not reach God but He can reach us. We are saved by grace alone. We are not passive receptacles there must be change/response/growth in us in response.

3. God reached us through His son Jesus (Salvation from sin) and still reaches us today through the Holy Spirit.

4. The Bible contains the information we need for salvation, but it in itself is not sacred.

The more I know, the more I know that I do not know. God is greater than the limits Christian churches place upon Him.

My "hill" is in the Nicene Creed (the original one, not the one with the filioque), and I would add in a sacramental path to God as laid out by the early church fathers.

Oh, and what I have in my signature tag, too. Be nice. Everyone is on a journey, and the journey can be difficult. Don't judge, don't pigeonhole, don't gossip, don't try to fix. Let God be God; I have nothing to offer toward anyone's salvation.

--

I would leave off the idea that faith alone is all that's needed for salvation, as well as the idea that salvation is likened to a fence around heaven (and you're either inside the fence or outside the fence).

Without the 6 days of creation being "real" than the whole Bible could all be one big story and also not real. That is why the 6 days of creation is so important. The bible says morning and evening. The scripture others use to argue is that "to the Lord one day is like a thousand." I do not believe it means one morning and evening day could equal a thousands days, but it is meant to show how patient God is towards us. Also, time does not exist for God. But time does exist for us.

Another issue with 6 days instead of millions is evolution. The bible says God created everything. Man was formed in "His" image, and therefore couldn't possibly have evolved from an ape. Yet if one day was not one day but really thousands than you could argue for evolution instead of creation.

This leads to saying that dinosaurs didn't roam the earth at the same time as man, which I believe they did. It also could lead you to saying all the animals couldn't possibly fit on a boat. You could also cave in and say Jonah couldn't have survived being swallowed by a fish...That walls couldn't possibly fall by an army marching around...That God couldn't come to the Earth in the form of a baby, born of a virgin...That dead people cannot come alive again...That there is no such thing as Evil.

I agree that 6 Days is the Basis of the Entire Holy Bible.

Thank you so much for this explanation. I understand their POV (the school's) much better now.

As a conservative Christian (Southern Baptist), the only things that I think are non-negotiable are:

Because God loved the world, He gave His only Son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross as propitiation for the sins of mankind. Through Christ's sacrificial death and His resurrection from the dead, He provides salvation for anyone who will accept it by having faith in Christ. Salvation is a free gift, unearned and undeserved, and is the only way to be reconciled to God and to be accepted into Heaven at the end of one's earthly life.

God loves everyone. It is not the place of any man or woman to pass judgement.

I will do my best with what I believe God wants, but I am not going to say anyone else's interpretation is wrong. God will be the judge. I believe God wants me to show God's love first and put that into my interactions with all people.

The Nicene Creed is more specific, but the thing I wish I could show to everyone everyday is God's love. I'm not sure I do that every week. I've seen more than one SOF where I wondered if the group knew anything about love.

Here are the 13 Articles of Faith that I believe are essential:

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3.We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4.We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5.We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6.We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7.We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8.We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9.We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10.We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11.We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12.We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13.We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Edited by hmsmith

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for AdamĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s transgression.

3.We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4.We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5.We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6.We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7.We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8.We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9.We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10.We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11.We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12.We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13.We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Do all of these carry equal weight? If you had to, could you pick two or three that were the most essential? Or all they all the same importance?

Are any of these points ever controversial among LDS people? Could you picture a scenario where two committed LDS believers were sitting around debating one (or more) of these points?

Thanks for satisfying my nosiness :)

thought I'd throw this in...

I'm an atheist. I could/would fake just about anything if it meant my (or my family's) survival. BUT...if I were to somehow find myself in a situation where a group like the Taliban were in control, I'd rather be dead. So that's my "hill" worth dying on.

Thank you, Wendy. :iagree: I couldn't think of how I wanted to say that. You did it perfectly.

I would say the basics for me means the Nicean Creed.

But I guess it depends on what I'm deciding for. A place to send my kids to school? A bible study? A church to attend?

I would have more hills for belonging to a congregation than for going to a Bible study with friends.

I believe in:

God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He was crucified, dead and buried; he rose from the dead and ascended into heaven.

The Holy Spirit.

The forgiveness of sins and everlasting life through Christ.

Essential:

Triune God

Sovereignty of God

Deity of Christ

Virgin birth of Christ

Inerrancy of Scripture

Atoning death of Christ

Resurrection of Christ

Existence of hell

Not worth dying for:

Millenial views

This is me exactly.

I can't really think of a single theological hill worth dying on. I can think of plenty of moral/ethical hills worth dying on, but non relating to religious/theological beliefs.

My God is bigger than any hill I could create.

And echoing God is Love. :D

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for AdamĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s transgression.

:iagree: And thanks for posting it so that all I had to do was hit the quote button and say, "Ditto." :D

Do all of these carry equal weight? If you had to, could you pick two or three that were the most essential? Or all they all the same importance?

Hmmm.. most essential? 1. God lives (point #1) 2. He guides His church through a living Prophet, through modern-day revelation (points #2-13).

Are any of these points ever controversial among LDS people?

Not that I'm aware of! These are pretty basic points of the gospel of Jesus Christ. If it was the gospel of Joseph Smith, they would probably be up for debate. Either God restored His gospel through a Prophet in these last days, or Joseph Smith made it all up. If you believed the latter, even in the slightest, I would think you'd want to find a different church that was of God and not of man, right?

I think the difference bt. the Mormon faith and other Christian denominations is that we are not trying to find the closest interpretation of what God says/wants through the Bible. He STILL SPEAKS; there is no guessing, reasoning out, or debating points. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His gospel is declared through revelation to his Prophets in these days, as well as through the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

We encourage everyone to find out for themselves, through the Spirit that teaches all truth, whether or not this church is what it says it is, and to know for yourself rather than rely on other's testimonies.

Hopefully that clarifies why it is so black & white among LDS believers.

Could you picture a scenario where two committed LDS believers were sitting around debating one (or more) of these points? Nope.

Thanks for satisfying my nosiness :)

:) I LOOOOOVE questions!

I am a Bible believing Christian and a Liberal. (fair warning I guess)

I was raised by Christian parents and I developed my own firm, indiviual faith in my 20's. I study my Bible seriously.

The more I read and study and pray and grow the fewer hills I find worth dying for. God is great, God is huge, and I can not file him in a box of my own defining. Politically and socially I find myself moving ever leftward. My guiding principle are love, pray and do no harm.

I believe

1. God created the world and man for His own purposes. It doesn't really matter how.

2. We can not reach God but He can reach us. We are saved by grace alone. We are not passive receptacles there must be change/response/growth in us in response.

3. God reached us through His son Jesus (Salvation from sin) and still reaches us today through the Holy Spirit.

4. The Bible contains the information we need for salvation, but it in itself is not sacred.

The more I know, the more I know that I do not know. God is greater than the limits Christian churches place upon Him.

I don't know if I would call myself "liberal" but I'm getting there, lol. The only thing we differ on, in our beliefs, is that I believe the bible is sacred. :001_smile: Other than that, I agree with you!

1. Your manners are more important than your theology.

2. There isn't one right and true path, we all have our own to follow.

3. It's my responsibility to assist others in treading their path healthily when I can. (And they retain their right to ignore me. :p)

Rosie- Pagan of no "officially" recognised denominationy type thing.

...to what/where?

You weren't talking to me, but to wherever you are going. I assume most people are aiming to be whatever they consider relatively happy, healthy, logical, empowered to good and right.

Rosie

I was totally floored a few weeks ago when I discovered a group (a private school) that considers six 24 hour day creation account a "hill worth dying on." Kids whose parents don't believe this or other points on their SOF (like my kids) aren't allowed in. I was :blink::svengo: .

I'm not shocked that people believe that, I was shocked that it could possibly be THAT important, kwim? (The rationale was that the school teaches this POV, and they don't want parents counteracting the teaching at home. I do understand their reasoning, even if I don't agree.)

I would take this less as them seeing it as a "hill to die on" and more as them wanting to avoid arguing and defending a belief constantly, having it distract from their purpose or cause discord.

The question should make an interesting conversation though! :001_smile:

I don't know if I would call myself "liberal" but I'm getting there, lol. The only thing we differ on, in our beliefs, is that I believe the bible is sacred. :001_smile: Other than that, I agree with you!

Thank you.

I had a hard time articulating my beliefs on the Bible. arrgh...I will try to express it but any clarification or comments on my explanation will be loved and appreciated. :001_smile:

1. The Bible is God's inspired word, it contains all that we need to receive salvation (no added doctrinal requirements) and it has authority to show God's will through the teachings and movement of the Holy Spirit.

2. The paper and binding are not sacred, I can write in it, I do not need to defend the physical existense of the book itself, aside from good manners and respect for the message inside.

3. It is not magical. I cannot ask a question and be directed to an answer by flipping the pages randomly.

4. It is an entire work; isolating verses from context or giving one verse superiority over others does not give a clear view of the relationship God is showing to us. Taking a single verse and writing it on a poster does not give me an magical powers. (sorry...that sarcasm is directed at some of the organization around me. :tongue_smilie:)

I am open to thoughts and comments.

Edited by Denise in Florida
yes, I can spell