Menu

Mayo or Miracle Whip?  

1. 1. Mayo or Miracle Whip?

• Mayo
    • Miracle whip
    • Other

Mayo or miracle whip? :D

I just got back from a baby shower and I noticed that several dishes that call for mayo (deviled eggs, pasta salads, spinach dip, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.) had miracle whip in them instead of mayo.

Yes we can get both here for the same price.

I personally can't stand miracle whip. It is mayo only for me. So, of course, it is time for a poll.:tongue_smilie:

I'm delighted there's no Miracle Whip here so my kids forget about it. My husband likes it and buys it when we live in the US.

Of course, living here had almost completely turned me off mayo. It's quite common in many Russian dishes.

Mayo

I have never used or tasted miracle whip. not sure what it is but I am guessing it is fake cream?

It's a lot like mayo, but it's sweeter and I assume it has some other flavorings in it too. There are lots of generic versions that are just called salad dressing, but they don't look like bottled salad dressing, but mayo. I think it's all a little confusing.

Hellman's mayo.

My husband loves Miracle Whip. It makes me question how I ever fell in love with him!

Hellman's here, or if I'm feeling particularly ambitious I'll make it myself. Miracle Whip has been outright banned from my house, much to dh's dismay. He still finds it in his mother's fridge from time to time.

I don't know whether my parents used mayo or Miracle Whip; I only know that when I came to be an adult, I discovered that MW is nasty! :ack2:

:lol:

I have been making my own mayo for over 30 years. All store brands taste funny to me now. :D

For me...without any hestiation it is definitely Miracle Whip (the FF kind). I hate mayo.

My dh only will eat Hellman's Mayo; he hates MW.

When I worked at a restaurant, our menus said the sandwiches came with mayo. But.....we only ever had Miracle Whip in the fridge. My boss *always* called it mayo. But, it wasn't. I never had the nerve to point this out to her. But....I sometimes wonder if anyone noticed that it didn't taste like mayo.

ETA: Just curious if you mayo eaters would order a sandwich that said mayo....and if it came with MW instead....do you think you would notice?? I would definitely noctice if it were the other way around.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Mayo, Dukes please. Miricle Whip is disgusting IMO.

When I read your response, I just KNEW you were from/in NC. lol My DH refuses to eat anything other than Duke's mayo.

I voted "other." I don't like mayo and I've never had miracle whip. When I must use mayo in something (deviled eggs, tuna, etc) I always use the real thing.

Mayonnaise. Hellman's.

And yes, if I ordered something with mayo and it came with MW, I'd notice. I'd probably send it back and I'm not a complainer. But, you can't substitute MW for mayo just because it's the same color anymore than you can serve a piece of poop and call it a brownie just because it's brown. :D

ETA: Just curious if you mayo eaters would order a sandwich that said mayo....and if it came with MW instead....do you think you would notice?? I would definitely noctice if it were the other way around.

I like mayo when it's mixed in things, like egg salad, tuna salad, deviled eggs, etc. But I never use mayo/MW on sandwiches. So when I order a sandwich, it's always w/o mayo.

ETA: Just curious if you mayo eaters would order a sandwich that said mayo....and if it came with MW instead....do you think you would notice??

Yes. :ack2:

If the sandwich has that distinctive "sweet" taste -- then I've been poisoned with MW. I hate it. I usually send back the sandwich or refuse to eat it -- if my MIL (who loves MW) made it.