Menu

Would you hire a teacher who doesn't like to read?

I am finishing up my hiring for the year and one of my favorite interview questions to ask is "What is your favorite book?" or sometimes I ask "What are you reading right now?"

The teacher I just interviewed said "I'm not much of a reader." :001_huh:

This is for an elementary teacher. I am not entirely sure how I feel about it. I admit my first reaction was "You are a professional educator and you don't read? Not anything?"

But then I realize that not everybody likes to read for pleasure. But still... I don't know... it just seems like if you are going to be teaching kids how to read and to enjoy reading that maybe YOU should enjoy reading?

Or is that really not relevant? I am trying not to project my values onto her but I am struggling with it.

ETA: CLARIFICATION- I obviously was not clear enough. Let's assume I also asked about science, math, history, technology and a host of other things ... which I did... the interview was two hours long... and her answers were satisfactory. I am asking specifically about READING.

Edited by Heather in NC

I think it can depend on your perspective. My husband doesn't consider himself a reader. He never reads for pleasure and I think he's read one fiction book in the 16 years I've known him. He couldn't tell you a favorite book or what he's reading right now. But he reads extensively- hours a day for work and his research and I know he enjoys it even though he's not a "reader." I've also known people who read a lot about childcare, or gardening, or housekeeping, or woodworking, or whatever, but don't consider themselves readers even though they read often. Reading isn't a leisure activity for them, so they don't consider themselves readers. I'd define all these people as readers, but that's just my perspective. :)

Honestly, though, I was concerned when I was first getting to know my future husband because I am a reader. I'd never considered marrying someone who wasn't. I'm glad I figured out that there's a lot more to it than what I used to think.

What are they doing during their free time? Dd's favorite teacher claims he isn't a big reader but blogs everyday and is is very into technology. He is also very active in the community. While he may not be picking up a book everyday he is still an amazing teacher who makes my kid want to learn new things.

I think you'll have to look at the total package instead of just that small aspect.

I wouldn't since they've just about said they won't be doing any professional development on their own time; unless they'd followed up with a chuckle about the size of their documentary collection or the podcasts they listen to or something similar.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Personally I think her answer shows more a poor interview technique! I'd be interested in what she said supporting and validating that statement. Regardless, I agree that it would give me pause, but I don't think it would be a deal-breaker.

Perhaps she is more visual/logic with more interest in math & science as opposed to the humanities? :confused: My MIL was a schoolteacher in the secondary grades and she hated reading. But she was gifted in math & science.

I do find it a bit odd for the lower grades the teacher is indifferent to reading for personal pleasure. Maybe she is meant to teach secondary?

My first thought was, no, I wouldn't.

But then, maybe that's why our elementary schools (in general, there are exceptions) do such a poor job of teaching math and science? Maybe we are staffing them with only literary types.

Is this teacher strong in math and science? Is there a way to pair her with a teacher who loves to read, so both classes can benefit from both passions?

Honestly, I would have a hard time hiring her. I know there are many fine people who aren't readers (or who don't consider themselves readers) but, eh, I just would prefer a teacher who can communicate the love of reading because she feels it, whether she reads Melville or Stephen King.

Years ago my friend who was a university history professor had a student in class complaining about the college's general education requirements and who said "I want to be an elementary school teacher--why should I have to take Western Civ?"

Why indeed?

It does seem a bit odd. Perhaps he/she considers reading necessary for "utilitarian" purposes but not for pleasure? I wonder if someone like that can really convey the joy of reading while teaching the mechanics of reading.

:iagree:

My dh is not a reader, except about technology, and he's not an educator either. However, if I wasn't intervening his lack of reading for pleasure would have had a profound influence on ds's desire to read. Ds didn't learn to like reading until this year, but he's been reading. A lot because I read many of the books myself so we could discuss them, I could recommend them, or we could read together.

I would be concerned about someone teaching at the elementary level that doesn't care to read. I spent years with a very thin subtle line working on ds's desire and ability to read. It would have been very easy to overlook that responsibility and label him a non-reader. I would be concerned about what underlying belief she has about the overall importance of reading on a regular basis at a young age. It took me nearly 5 years of effort to get ds to appropriate level, I can't imagine missing an entire school year of that because the teacher didn't think reading on a consistent basis was important.

Now she/he may be able to turn off the personal desire and be professional enough to guide struggling students, but I'd explore the comment more before hiring for sure.

In my dream world an elementary teacher should be familiar with the classics and new literature and twaddle of the day. She/He should be able to recommend books off the tops of her head based upon what a student is currently reading, wants to read about, etc. They were be well versed in classics. I also think they should be well versed in the popular fiction of the area so they can relate to what the children may be reading outside the classroom.

I actually find that question a bit personal for a job interview. Perhaps in the future you can frame it in a way that's relevant to the students and that particular classroom? I don't think it's any of my employers business what I read. My most recent read could have been something inappropriate for children, or I could be too busy job-hunting to read for pleasure. I could be the type of teacher who stays on top of children's literature but doesn't take the time to "read for fun" because I use my spare time for professional development. Maybe I read as much as you, but I have a mother who reads 10 times more so I don't consider myself 'a reader.' I could be really into cooking and gardening and not think of those non-fiction books in the context of your question. What if I think it's odd that in your spare time you don't attempt to puzzle out unsolved math problems or always have SOME type of experiment going on at home. Do you want your job to depend upon the last experiment you did for fun? How would you teach science otherwise?

One of the other posters said what I was thinking. What about math? The majority of math students I'm seeing in high school have major gaps. Not understanding simple (and I do mean simple) fractions, not knowing what a negative number is, etc. I took a math methods course last year. There were elementary teachers in the class with me who couldn't do the basic math we were covering. Essentially, the class these teachers were taking for recertification was a class they needed for their own basic skills. These were people who had already been teaching for 5 + years. So, they've already had an affect on numerous children understanding basic math. Imagine a fifth grade teacher instructing students that 3/6 and 2/4 were not equivalent fractions because 4 was not a factor of 6. Teachers with this lack of skill are doing a lot of damage.

I imagine these teachers would get a math curriculum and follow it exactly, because they don't understand math. Then, they fumble when students ask questions.

Yes, it's good to have people who liked to read. I guess sometimes I'd be in trouble with "what are you reading now". My life is quite stressful. Getting time to read is just plain hard. I don't get to read a book a month and I wish I did. I do read a few books a year. I do have a favorite author, perhaps that's how I would respond.

I've let my certification lapse a couple of times. Every time I renew my certification I am required to take exams in reading and writing. I have never been asked to solve a math problem. I am certified K-12 and 7-12 math and science in my state.

I actually find that question a bit personal for a job interview. Perhaps in the future you can frame it in a way that's relevant to the students and that particular classroom? I don't think it's any of my employers business what I read. My most recent read could have been something inappropriate for children, or I could be too busy job-hunting to read for pleasure. I could be the type of teacher who stays on top of children's literature but doesn't take the time to "read for fun" because I use my spare time for professional development. Maybe I read as much as you, but I have a mother who reads 10 times more so I don't consider myself 'a reader.' I could be really into cooking and gardening and not think of those non-fiction books in the context of your question. What if I think it's odd that in your spare time you don't attempt to puzzle out unsolved math problems or always have SOME type of experiment going on at home. Do you want your job to depend upon the last experiment you did for fun? How would you teach science otherwise?

The high school principal I work with taught AP Physics before he became a principal. He still reads. All kinds of things, fiction and non-fiction, technical things and theology, politics and humor, etc. Being science-minded doesn't mean you don't read.

Our interview questions are more personal for a lot of reasons. We are moving this person across the world to educate our students and this is a private, Christian school. So we want to make sure you are the right candidate for the job. Will you uphold our values, fit in with our tiny community?

It's a big decision because it's more than just a job.

I read lots and lots, but I don't really have a favorite book. If you asked me, I would have a difficult time answering that question. Right now, I am not reading anything, however, we are planning to leave for vacation tomorrow, so I've been busy (holy commas, Batman!). Next week, I hope to read LOTS of books!

One of the other posters said what I was thinking. What about math? The majority of math students I'm seeing in high school have major gaps. Not understanding simple (and I do mean simple) fractions, not knowing what a negative number is, etc. I took a math methods course last year. There were elementary teachers in the class with me who couldn't do the basic math we were covering. Essentially, the class these teachers were taking for recertification was a class they needed for their own basic skills. These were people who had already been teaching for 5 + years. So, they've already had an affect on numerous children understanding basic math. Imagine a fifth grade teacher instructing students that 3/6 and 2/4 were not equivalent fractions because 4 was not a factor of 6. Teachers with this lack of skill are doing a lot of damage.

I imagine these teachers would get a math curriculum and follow it exactly, because they don't understand math. Then, they fumble when students ask questions.

Yes, it's good to have people who liked to read. I guess sometimes I'd be in trouble with "what are you reading now". My life is quite stressful. Getting time to read is just plain hard. I don't get to read a book a month and I wish I did. I do read a few books a year. I do have a favorite author, perhaps that's how I would respond.

I've let my certification lapse a couple of times. Every time I renew my certification I am required to take exams in reading and writing. I have never been asked to solve a math problem. I am certified K-12 and 7-12 math and science in my state.

But you are assuming I didn't ask about math.

I did. Very in-depth questions actually which she answered satisfactorily. That's not the issue.

It appears that the answer is giving you serious pause, so in that case, I'd say "no." Unless this person is the best candidate overall, even with the "not a reader" answer, then I wouldn't select her if I were you. Because if you do, and it doesn't work out, you will regret not going with your gut.

I'm not sure what I would do in a similar situation. My DH isn't a reader yet is an excellent teacher. He's not an academic instructor, but he is the go to guy at his workplace when they have a trainee that is struggling. He can reach people at their level and pull out the best in them. (In my humble opinion. ;))

I was going to say that I would probably place more weight on other issues, but as you've mentioned, you did ask other questions and we don't know how the person performed on those. So- you're stuck with making the big call. :001_smile:

Years ago I would have agreed with you. I have always LOVED to read. Now-here comes the big confession - my kids don't!!!!! That used to break my heart. Here I am, a homeschooling mom, who loves to read, who read to my dds from infancy, and they don't generally read for pleasure!!! Where did I go wrong!!! My kids are the ONLY homeschool kids not carrying books around with them where ever they go!! ARGH!!! I used to beat myself up over it. And then I examined their personalities. They are always creating something. One is a dancer and artist, very hands on and visual. The oldest is more crafty and as she has gotten older she has turned more to reading for pleasure. She is 21 now and has checked out lots of books from the library over the past few summers when home from college. BUT I still wouldn't say she LOVES to read like I did at her age. Over their schooling they have both read lots of classic literature; the youngest has read classics from ancients to middle ages this year-right now Dante's Inferfno. The oldest can pop out a quote from Shakepeare appropriate to almost any occasion and tell you what play it is from and who said it. They are both great students with a wonderful work ethic. They persevere through the tough stuff.

My oldest is in the middle of student teaching right now. She is going to be a phenomenal teacher-no bragging, it's just what God has designed her to do. She loves kids, loves working with them, gets them, knows how they think, loves teaching reading to K and 1st graders, loves reading to them and making reading and writing come alive. Her supervising prof and the teacher in the K class she has been working in both say she is a natural. While her reading for pleasure over the last few years has increased, I wouldn't say she loves it. She's a pretty savvy interviewer though, so she's probably handle your question honestly but deftly.

The other thing is my dh doesn't read much for pleasure. He is an attorney, muscian, composer, Bible study leader, bird watcher, husband and father. His is busy and interesting, reads the Wall Street Journal every day, but doesn't often pick up fiction. I blame him for the missing "love to read" gene. :001_smile:

I would want to know more about the person's interests and their enthusiasm about teaching children to/about reading and literature. I know if you didn't hire my dd based on that question you would be missing out on a wonderful teacher!! (Can you tell I'm proud of her :001_smile:)

Mary

I'll be honest -- for an elementary school teacher, that answer would be an issue for me. It sounds like such an open-ended question that she should have been able to come up with a more satisfactory answer. I know not everyone does lots of reading for pleasure, but she could have mentioned reading related to the teaching profession, even if just favorite bloggers or the education pages of the newspaper. If she doesn't have a lot of time to read, I would still imagine she enjoyed something in the past, or has favorite read-alouds from past classroom experience.

Well, I don't read fiction, and sometimes maybe people assume that's what's meant by 'what are you reading right now', perhaps?

I read your question and the answer that popped into my head that I would've given is 'The Bible'. Not too original, I suppose. I don't have any other books that I'm reading right now. Dh and I read various theology books, as well as sermons. But neither of us read fiction.

Just a thought. I read a LOT as a child/teen, but now my priorities are different; just the same as I don't watch any fiction tv, I don't read it, either.

I think it can depend on your perspective. My husband doesn't consider himself a reader. He never reads for pleasure and I think he's read one fiction book in the 16 years I've known him. He couldn't tell you a favorite book or what he's reading right now. But he reads extensively- hours a day for work and his research and I know he enjoys it even though he's not a "reader." I've also known people who read a lot about childcare, or gardening, or housekeeping, or woodworking, or whatever, but don't consider themselves readers even though they read often. Reading isn't a leisure activity for them, so they don't consider themselves readers. I'd define all these people as readers, but that's just my perspective. :)

:iagree:

Hire her if she's the best candidate!

Edited by MIch elle

HHHMMMMM

Heather, I believe you've demonstrated great instincts in the past. It's entirely possible that it isn't so much the answer as the manner of response. Intuitively, you could have picked up on something you are unable to put your finger on, but is in fact a gut reaction that this person isn't a good fix.

While I tend to favor strong math and science teachers even in the younger years because science and math education has become absolutely PALTRY in the States, I would still want a teacher who can demonstrate that reading is pleasureable. After all, it is the foundation of education. If one is taught to read fluently, then any gaps in one's education can be filled by reading. If you can comprehend a book, you can learn. Deficits in reading hurt every single subject area. So, my preference would be an amazing math teacher who loved science, read fluently, and would be likely to bring out James and the Giant Peach or whatever and read outloud with passion to her class. My very best elementary teachers were the ones that came from lunch period and read aloud to us for 30 minutes. They always managed to end the reading for the day in the just right spot to leave you begging for more or anxiously waiting to find out what would happen to this or that character the next day. They were also outstanding math teachers and they loved nature so we spent a lot of time outside cataloging flora, collecting insects, predicting weather, looking at ditch water under the microscope, etc.

You want the WHOLE package and if possible, don't settle for less.

Edited to say: If I were interviewing for a job in Malaysia and considering relocating my family, you can bet that I would at least be able to answer "Froman's Guidebook to Malaysia" or "The U.S. State Department Fact Sheet on Malaysia" or ..... you get the picture. National Geographic back articles on the country, something. So even if I were a non-reader for pleasure type person, I'd most certainly be preparing myself for the interview and potential hire, by informing myself of the culture and what it might be like to live and work in it.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
Left something out

I am finishing up my hiring for the year and one of my favorite interview questions to ask is "What is your favorite book?" or sometimes I ask "What are you reading right now?"

This is for an elementary teacher. I am not entirely sure how I feel about it. I admit my first reaction was "You are a professional educator and you don't read? Not anything?"

But then I realize that not everybody likes to read for pleasure. But still... I don't know... it just seems like if you are going to be teaching kids how to read and to enjoy reading that maybe YOU should enjoy reading?

Or is that really not relevant? I am trying not to project my values onto her but I am struggling with it.

ETA: CLARIFICATION- I obviously was not clear enough. Let's assume I also asked about science, math, history, technology and a host of other things ... which I did... the interview was two hours long... and her answers were satisfactory. I am asking specifically about READING.

How can one grow professionally without reading?

I used to co-teach with a woman who couldn't spell, who had difficulty writing complete sentences or ones that weren't run-ons, and whose punctuation was hit or miss.

She was still an excellent teacher. She had a learning disability which she compensated for by extensive use of spell-checkers and having her colleagues [me or others on our team] to proof-read anything that needed to be right. She went into special education because of her own experiences in the school system. We were teaching kindergarten, so she wasn't teaching grammar or spelling beyond the most simple things.

It's possible this candidate had a similar story. Struggled to learn to read and went into education because of the inspiration of great teachers [or perhaps because she felt a better teacher could have helped her, and she wants to be that better teacher for someone else]. Of course, that's all speculation; I'd be curious to know her story.

Good luck!

I'd have to know the why before I made a fair decision. There are too many legitimate possibilities as to why any one person does not read for pleasure. Did you ask her why she doesn't read? Surely you had follow up questions for both a positive and a negative answer to your question.

Again, as so many have said, and as many people think, when you ask 'what are you reading' most people want to know what novel. Not what technical journal or something.

I read magazines. It's 10pm when I finally sit down. I don't want a book, even a light book. I want something simple to relax with. At 10pm magazines are the best I can handle at that point. Do I consider myself a reader? Yes. Am I reading anything? No, not really.

I love good books. But I also must have the time to enjoy them. I don't want to sit there reading and having "I need to start laundry/dinner/whatever" running through my mind while I'm reading.

And so many say reading is their relaxation. What if she enjoys truely trashy novels as her relaxation? Smutty romance novels? Would you answer that at an interview? Especially at a christian school?

I think what each person feels makes someone a reader will vary greatly.

I also think the question is too personal for an interview.

Maybe she means that she doesn't read only for pleasure. She might read professionally, but not count that as relevant in the "So what have you read lately?" question. idk

It would be a deal breaker (imho) if she means she doesn't read at all in her time outside of class.

I think that Heather mentioned that due to the fact they will be moving an entire family to Malaysia, which is a huge cultural change for the family, and there are necessary adaptive requirements for a new hire, the interviews are more personal than would normally be encountered here because the consequences are quite financially severe to the school and family if it doesn't work out. Of a necessity, they have to be very personal and if memory serves, the interviewee is aware of this before coming to the interview. So, while not aware of the exact questions, they do know that the process is more intensive than seeking a job at a school in the U.S.

My husband's cousin teaches at an international school. Her interview for that position was, well, a lot like an annual physical at the gyn...putting up with poking and prodding in places you normally don't allow poking and prodding and all for the greater good! :001_smile:

Dh's company conducts "ultra personal" interviews when seeking to send their American workers for extended stays in Asia. They need to be certain this person is prepared to adapt and rapidly. A lot of the questions are "getting to know you much better" type questions and I could easily see "What do you read in your free time?" as one of a myriad of getting a feel for the candidate questions.

Faith

"What is your favorite book?" or sometimes I ask "What are you reading right now?"

It's not that she's not much of a reader that would make me not hire her. It's that she doesn't know how to answer an interview question. Seriously. If that's the best she can come up with ... "I'm not much of a reader" ... I'd find someone else.

If you don't wow me at the interview, I don't hire you.

Tara

I was once asked if I'd be willing to eat reindeer and in fact completely change my diet. Now, admittedly, this was not a job, and alas, the Soviet Union dissolved before I could go there, but I don't think they liked that I wouldn't agree to eat any old thing.

Well, I did teach first grade and while I NEVER would have said "I'm not much of a reader," in an interview...I wasn't much of a reader-for pleasure. Why? I had NO time for reading for pleasure as a young teacher. Every spare moment was spent reading children's books, teacher books, etc. I LOVED reading to my kids and scoured professional books. But, I don't think I read a book for pleasure during the first two years I taught. In fact, I've read more in the last two years being home than I did in the six years I taught. I poured myself into my classroom and profession.

Perhaps a follow-up question could be, "What's the last book you read related to teaching?" Or, "What's your favorite children's book?"

If she was fantastic in all other areas, I'd hire her. If she was just so-so and didn't even offer a professional book, then no. I think it's a weird answer for an interview, so she would have had to wow me in other areas. I've interviewed several people and I think you should go with your gut. It's usually right!

FYI- We've not hired people because of mistakes on their cover letters. You have to start somewhere, especially when there are a lot of choices.

I think that Heather mentioned that due to the fact they will be moving an entire family to Malaysia, which is a huge cultural change for the family, and there are necessary adaptive requirements for a new hire, the interviews are more personal than would normally be encountered here because the consequences are quite financially severe to the school and family if it doesn't work out. Of a necessity, they have to be very personal and if memory serves, the interviewee is aware of this before coming to the interview. So, while not aware of the exact questions, they do know that the process is more intensive than seeking a job at a school in the U.S.

My husband's cousin teaches at an international school. Her interview for that position was, well, a lot like an annual physical at the gyn...putting up with poking and prodding in places you normally don't allow poking and prodding and all for the greater good! :001_smile:

Dh's company conducts "ultra personal" interviews when seeking to send their American workers for extended stays in Asia. They need to be certain this person is prepared to adapt and rapidly. A lot of the questions are "getting to know you much better" type questions and I could easily see "What do you read in your free time?" as one of a myriad of getting a feel for the candidate questions.

Faith

I completely understand all of this. I've read the whole thread. I still think it is a personal question, and if you are going to go there, you need to explain exactly what you mean. Because it is very easy that the interviewee can have a totally different feeling of what makes a reader than the interviewer.

I think it's like asking what makes up a large family, where your level of poor is, what you think is wasteful moneywise. Everyone is going to have a different standard to base that answer on.

I understand 'ultra personal' too. I've had friends have to go through interveiws for their HUSBANDS to get into programs because of how it affects life.

Maybe personal was the wrong word to use. I guess I feel it is just a loaded question in this case. Perhaps a poor choice of a question.

I used to LOVE reading--but now with so much 'reading' involved with my job I need to give my eyes a rest... Reading actually HURTS (my eyesight is not what it used to be).

I am a more Math/Science oriented teacher...

Because I rarely read for pleasure DOES NOT MEAN that I fail to instill a love of reading in my students! My own daughters (older ones homeschooled through graduation) enjoy reading... My youngest is a voracious reader.

Everyone in our family has a book on their nightstand. I'm actually reading my first book of the year-- it is 'Spring Break' for my classes...

Reading is not the only form of professional enrichment. I gain a lot from discussions with peers-- in fact I prefer a 'true' discussion to a written paper any day.

I enjoy writing (curriculum for our children's program at church and even have a 'novel' I've been playing with for years). 2 of my dd's also have a novel in the works.

I find it offensive that many of you would dismiss a teaching candidate due to the answer to this one question-- especially with no other background given...

For the record my first degree was in Elementary Ed-- and then I taught Special Ed-- my students had huge improvements in their reading scores. Math and Science is where my heart is though-- and I moved up to Jr high and then onto high school where I have found my niche.

I do not like to read, because I have comprehension issues. My kids are learning well, and I do listen to books on tape as do my kids. Personally, if her other answers were satisfactory then I would not have a problem with it. If she were to say that she does not like to teach reading or she does not like to read outloud to the kids, or something along those lines, then that would be different, but not reading on her own time does not affect her job performance IMO.

Something is wrong here. You feel it. Maybe it's not just the reading. Maybe this person doesn't relate well. Even if she doesn't like to read, there are better, more friendly and professional ways to answer a question like that in an interview. It wouldn't bother me so much that she 'is not much of a reader' as that she would convey that to her students, and that might be to their detriment. I don't think that reading is the only or the most important passion in an elementary school teacher. But at that age teachers do pass on their enthusiasms to their students, so it's important to know what they are and how they express them.

If, for example, she is more interested in science than in literature, she could have said, "Lately I have been reading some books that explain pretty complex science in laymen's language, in an engaging way. I've been thinking about how to take that information down a few levels to be able to discuss it with 3rd graders, and it's been really interesting!" That would have been a good answer.

Generally you want a teacher who is mostly positive as well. So maybe you are getting a hint that this one is somewhat negative, and that would be tough in a tight community like yours.

I might want a second interview. Sometimes people just give dumb answers in interviews. Maybe the teacher was thinking you meant fiction? Perhaps if the question were rephrased -- how do you keep up with new information in your field? are there countries you'd like to visit? do you have a favorite period in science or history? Then you could find out how she learns new information.

If she is unaware of new ideas in her field, uninterested in the world outside her door, has no interest in science, history, etc -- well, that would tell you something. If, on the other hand, she is informed and articulate, I would consider her as a decent candidate. Maybe you want to put an emphasis on whether or not she is still actively learning and less emphasis on how she does it?

Not to say a passionate reader wouldn't be a more attractive candidate, just that I understand the quandary that you are in.

Edited by Alessandra

Guest submarines
It's not that she's not much of a reader that would make me not hire her. It's that she doesn't know how to answer an interview question. Seriously. If that's the best she can come up with ... "I'm not much of a reader" ... I'd find someone else.

If you don't wow me at the interview, I don't hire you.

Tara

On the other hand, she was honest. If it were me, I would've said that I was currently focused on other projects, and named them, and then would've elaborated briefly on my favorite book or the last book I read. A person who isn't much of a reader could've easily done the same without being dishonest. Instead she was blunt. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If I was interviewing, I would've followed this question with, "What do you do in your spare time?" This would've helped me to evaluate her previous answer.

My MIL was not much of a reader when she was teaching. She just didn't have the time to read for pleasure. She put everything she had into teaching... I believe she really was an amazing teacher, just watching how she interacts with my own kids. I wouldn't throw the candidate out based on that fact alone. That said - she still did a terrible job answering that particular interview question.

I wouldn't since they've just about said they won't be doing any professional development on their own time; unless they'd followed up with a chuckle about the size of their documentary collection or the podcasts they listen to or something similar.

Rosie

This is what it says to me, as well. I've learned 100 times more in my own self-directed professional development than in any of my official teacher college classes. The interviewee should have explained if she has a different preference for learning through video, audio, or whatever.

In addition, one of the main goals of teaching in the early years is to get kids involved in a love affair with reading, so that the rest of their education and the rest of the world can be opened up to them. A reading teacher (teacher who reads) is better equipped to transmit and share joy with kids to get them hooked. She will also be equipped to "matchmake" the right books with the right kids.

I vote for it being pretty important, unless she particularly impressed you enough in the other parts of the interview to balance this weak area.

My first thought was that maybe she has reading issues that make reading not pleasurable. My husband doesn't really do pleasure reading for himself, but for years has spent about 1/2 hr reading to our son at night. He's an engineer and would make an incredible teacher in areas like math or even maybe science.

SO.... I think if it's not for literature :) then maybe it'd be a good fit. :) (AND, when we read something together, it takes him for.ev.er!! BUT, then he remembers it forever, too!! :)

I think if she seems like she'd be a great teacher in all other respsects, then yes. My dh has an elem ed degree (isn't working in the field anymore because of the pay), and is a fabulous teacher, but doesn't like to read. He's an audio/visual learner and only reads under coercion.

.... "I'm not much of a reader."

I would not have translated and made the leap of the above quote as "I don't like to read".

And I get where KungFuPanda is coming from. quote: What if I think it's odd that in your spare time you don't attempt to puzzle out unsolved math problems or always have SOME type of experiment going on at home. Do you want your job to depend upon the last experiment you did for fun? How would you teach science otherwise? unquote

She was just stating the comparison of say, if you were hiring a science teacher, would you have asked her if she did home experiments in her spare time or if you were hiring a math teacher, would you have asked if she did math puzzles at home. How can they do the job if they are not math oriented or experiment oriented at home? As compared to: How can you teach Elementary grades if you are not much of a reader at home? Would you not hire them if they said they are not much of a math puzzler at home or don't do science experiments at home? But, because she is not much of a reader at home, she isn't qualified to teach?

The interview is all about can you do the dance and tell the interviewer what he/she wants to hear. She just wasn't prepared to answer this one question.

I just recently read this article: Top Executive Recruiters Agree There Are Only Three True Job Interview Questions

1. Can you do the job?

2. Will you love the job?

3. Can we tolerate working with you?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgebradt/2011/04/27/top-executive-recruiters-agree-there-are-only-three-key-job-interview-questions/