Menu

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hear these very much in person, but if I had a nickle for every blog that used "y'all" and "stinkin' cute" and "there, I said it" I'd be a very rich woman. "Y'all" used by non-Southern bloggers seems particularly disingenuous and annoying to me.

I'm not Southern and I don't blog, but I often want to use "y'all" here on the forums. Not because I think it would look good, but because that word actually does come to mind when I'm composing a reply here. I don't know if I use it verbally or not. (or would I say "vocally"? I have a feeling I'm using the wrong term no matter what. :)).

Edited by gardening momma

Does anyone else hear the phrase "Cool beans"? Is it only said by the youth I'm around? I can't stand it! It just doesn't even make sense (but with teens, I guess it isn't supposed to make sense).

Cool beans is old. I've been saying it for 20 years or better. :D

T

Cool Beans has been around for a long time.

Prolly - it's not even a word!

Hooking up - I know what it's supposed to mean, but it sounds like you went fishing together.

I have no idea how recent it is, but I hate the term "living books." Yes I know it gets used a lot here (and no one needs to stop on my account) but I see it and want to scream, "They're not alive! This is not 'Night of the Living Books'!":rant:

:lol: Your post is TWADDLE, sister. And definitely dead twaddle.

My husband kept saying, "Me, myself, I ..." as a joke. Then my son said it a few times....aaaah! He's also identified some funny phrases but I hate them so much I have forced myself to dismember, er, I mean, forget them. All I know is, I throw up a lot in his shoe every time I hear him say one them.

"Yeah, no" or "No, yeah."

No, yeah, I know, no?

I hate that every single person on Bachelor/Bachelorette/American Idol/etc is "amazing". People seem to be incredibly easy to amaze these days.

(My husband loves these shows; I do not. However, I often see bits and pieces while reading in the room where he is watching TV.)

Also, Bachelorette is a stupid word, though I guess it is better than spinster, which it replaces.

I am trying to train my daughter not to use "like" as a random word in sentences, by pointing out every single time she uses it wrongly. Sometimes I even analyze her sentence out loud, noting that the sentence doesn't have a subject since she turned the subject into a prepositional phrase by beginning with "Like a..."

Does anyone else hear the phrase "Cool beans"? Is it only said by the youth I'm around? I can't stand it! It just doesn't even make sense (but with teens, I guess it isn't supposed to make sense).

"Cool beans" was a favorite when I was in high school (1989-1993). We also said "beanage" instead of "cool beans".

I can think of a few words from the board that are overused.

voracious

rigorous

twaddle

Kelly

:lol: Your post is TWADDLE, sister. And definitely dead twaddle.

My husband kept saying, "Me, myself, I ..." as a joke. Then my son said it a few times....aaaah! He's also identified some funny phrases but I hate them so much I have forced myself to dismember, er, I mean, forget them. All I know is, I throw up a lot in his shoe every time I hear him say one them.

No, yeah, I know, no?

Oh my holy heck! I must put that in my signature: "We only use dead twaddle around here."

My husband has taught the boys some annoying behaviors :glare: The new rule is: If he's going to teach them how to be annoying, he can be the one to stay home with them everyday. Punk!

"Totes" for totally.

Then I'm guessing you're not a big fan of Totes McGoats... :)

And I'll not only stick up for Cool Beans, I'll point out that it pairs beautifully with Awesome Possum.

The animosity toward "yeah, no" and "so, yeah" I can agree with, though. My husband coaches high school girls and frequently receives texts and e-mails beginning with, "So, um, yeah...". I truly don't understand using "um" in written communication. Maybe I'm just old.

OMG SO over it.

Along that line:

Oh my (effing) God. In writing or spoken. Makes me want to wash out some mouths with soap.

bestie

When used at the end of a sentence, said with inflection that makes it sound like a punch line ...."I'm just saying."

It makes me want to answer...."Really, you are saying something?....Is that what all that talking was about?".

:iagree: with 'anyhoo' being a stand out, annoying word.

Ginormous

I know, right?

my bad

prolly

douche (or douchebag).

I also agree with "prolly."

I also hate preggers. :glare:

:iagree: Hate all of these. Not said so much anymore, but "thinking outside the box" and being "on the same page" got on my nerves quite a bit.

YES to all. I only got to page 4 of the thread. I had to stop using multiquote eventually.

I really dislike the way people are using "really" and "seriously". C'mon, you know what I mean!

When used at the end of a sentence, said with inflection that makes it sound like a punch line ...."I'm just saying."

It makes me want to answer...."Really, you are saying something?....Is that what all that talking was about?".

:iagree: with 'anyhoo' being a stand out, annoying word.

I hear "just saying" all the time here!

:iagree:

Especially when talking about choosing what to use to teach your dc (although come to think of it, I haven't heard non-homeschoolers use it). Makes it sound like a bad thing that you didn't buy a box of books already.

My working, single friend was "cobbling together" different freelance jobs. ACK!

Am I the only person who HATES a word/phrase, and then will start using it as a joke with people who know how much I loathe it (like my husband or close friends). And then over time, it slowly slips into my regular vocabulary and escapes my lips even with folks who have no idea it's a word I detest and supposedly only use jokingly...

And then after a while, I don't really remember what I hated so much about it in any case.

The number of things I now say regularly that I once mocked others for saying is kind of astounding. :lol:

Anything thats found on a list of Chat/Textspeak translations

LOL, OMG, etc...

"Like" used at the beginning, through out and at the end of sentences. Its sooo annoying.

"Like when we were kids and like playing in the like, umm, playground sandbox and were little like." *grrr.*

Ba-donka-donk. and other stupid slang that refers to someones behind.

All swear words used as adjectives sound dumb to me. "I'm so F**king happy!"

Am I the only person who HATES a word/phrase, and then will start using it as a joke with people who know how much I loathe it (like my husband or close friends). And then over time, it slowly slips into my regular vocabulary and escapes my lips even with folks who have no idea it's a word I detest and supposedly only use jokingly...

And then after a while, I don't really remember what I hated so much about it in any case.

The number of things I now say regularly that I once mocked others for saying is kind of astounding. :lol:

I know! Right?

I do that too—which is why I found myself saying "supposably" in a conversation with someone other than DH without thinking! :tongue_smilie:

It was mentioned in one other post, but it drives my crazy to hear/see people use 'convicted' to indicate strong belief in something. Convicted means you were proven guilty of an offense in a court of law.

People who use that word incorrectly should be convicted. :D

Other than that, though, everything is cool beans with me, dude. (Yes, I like & use 'cool beans' and 'dude'.)

I also can't stand when newscasters use the phrase, "A total outpouring of.... love, support, community support, whatever". It's just weird.

"So how sad were you when your wife was killed?"

"You won $10 million dollars and were admitted to Harvard! How great is that?"

It's not a conversation opener to put words in someone's mouth.

First, I would like to agree with most of the prior posts.

I would also like to add the word "word" when used as an interjection.

Example conversations:

"You are late."

"Word."

"Are you ready to take your break?"

"Word."

These are examples of typical conversations with a former coworker.

"bandwidth" when used to describe anything but a measure of your available or used computer/digital networking speed.

Heard around the office:

"Can you help with the vendor meeting on Friday?"

"I would but my team just doesn't have the bandwidth right now."

It was cute the first few times I heard it but frankly it sounds like a way to say you are busy when you really are not. :lol:

It was mentioned in one other post, but it drives my crazy to hear/see people use 'convicted' to indicate strong belief in something. Convicted means you were proven guilty of an offense in a court of law.

Other than that, though, everything is cool beans with me, dude. (Yes, I like & use 'cool beans' and 'dude'.)

I use "convicted" that way. It's used that way regularly by many people I know, probably because of the bolded below:

con·vic·tion

   [kuhn-vik-shuhn] S

noun 1. a fixed or firm belief.

2. the act of convicting.

3. the state of being convicted.

4. the act of convincing.

5. the state of being convinced.

When I say I am "convicted" of something, I use it in terms of the Holy Spirit impressing a belief on me through reading of the Scripture. *shrug*

My best friend in the mid 1980s said "preggers." (She also said "dungarees" but I don't know if she was ahead of her time with that one. Only time will tell.)

Is "word!" new??

Word up, it’s the code word,

No matter where you say it,

You’ll know that you’ll be heard.

From Cameo, 1986

Least favorite of late: "Shut U-u-uP!"

Tolerating, on the verge of adding to this list: "Epic"

Least favorite of all: "OMG!!" (Makes me just want to slap them!)

There. I feel better now that I've confessed my little pet peeves. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

hehe...

When my second son first started saying computer it came out "complewter".

My grandson first referred to it as an abaya. We have no idea where that came from or how exactly he came up with it but he later transmogirfied it into pU-tee. Pretty darn cute coming from my two year old grandson. :)

I hear people use it to express how they feel they need to change something in their life--so they actually do feel guilty of whatever it was, and feel the urgent need to change.

First, I would like to agree with most of the prior posts.

I would also like to add the word "word" when used as an interjection.

Example conversations:

"You are late."

"Word."

"Are you ready to take your break?"

"Word."

These are examples of typical conversations with a former coworker.

Word up!

"Dude" and "Dudette" are not new in the last 10 years. At all. I recall people saying those things when I was 6 years old. And I am not 16. :lol: And watching, say, Happy Days, shows that it predates many of the posters here.

Ah, but the OP said either a new (in the last 10 yrs) word or phrase, or a recently misused/overused word/phrase. So it can be an old word, but just now overused (or still overused).

I hear people use it to express how they feel they need to change something in their life--so they actually do feel guilty of whatever it was, and feel the urgent need to change.

Perhaps. But, to me, it is overused these days. Regardless of the person's intent, it still makes me think first of a felony conviction....