Menu

Would you take a teenager on a whisky distillery tour?

Calvin's French exchange partner is coming next week and we are casting around for things to do. The school is organising some castle visiting and some hiking, so we were thinking of a whisky distillery tour. Calvin was given a glass of champagne by the town mayor when he visited France, so I don't think we'll be accused of corrupting her. However, the under-18s will not be allowed to taste or even smell the finished whisky (distillery rules). I'm wondering if it will be fun to see how it's made if they are not allowed to partake....

FWIW, we have let Calvin have small alcoholic drinks at home - this is legal in the UK.

Any other ideas of characteristically Scottish things that might be fun for a teenager?

Laura

I've taken mine to a beer brewery tour, I think they were 5 & 7 at the time. They were still fascinated (it helped that there were horses at one of the stops), and happy to get pretzels at the end when the adults could try beers.

Sounds fine to me...although, I've taken all of my children on multiple brewery tours, so I may be the wrong person to ask! ;)

In my defense, though, the history of brewing is *very* important to the history of our region, so they're going to be exposed to it one way or the other, anyway, and if we go on a tour, I get a free beer at the end, (when I'm not pregnant, of course)!

When I glanced at the title of your post, my thought was -- only if it's in Scotland. Then I saw your name.... Absolutely, I think it's fine, because it is a cultural thing, like wine in France.

Other Scottish things -- I remember, when I visited Scotland as a pre-teen, that what impressed me the most was the scenery. When I visited Scotland as an adult, it was still the scenery more than anything else. So, if you are able to go for a drive/bike trip/hike in a beautiful area, that would be my choice.

Otherwise -- Edinburgh history sites & RBG, perhaps a tartan shop? a croft museum? highland games? a stone circle? Iona? prehistoric houses in Orkney? (Okay, I'm getting carried away....) Would a teenage boy like an elaborate afternoon tea -- do you still even have those?

I say go for it. Of course I have taken my dc to the beer brewery tour. That was several years ago (ages 6 & 9) The enjoyed it then and even today talk about various things from the visit.

I also want to take them on a tour of a distillery. The distillery tour just hasn't worked out time wise when we have been in the area.

Other Scottish things -- I remember, when I visited Scotland as a pre-teen, that what impressed me the most was the scenery. When I visited Scotland as an adult, it was still the scenery more than anything else. So, if you are able to go for a drive/bike trip/hike in a beautiful area, that would be my choice.

Otherwise -- Edinburgh history sites & RBG, perhaps a tartan shop? a croft museum? highland games? a stone circle? Iona? prehistoric houses in Orkney? (Okay, I'm getting carried away....) Would a teenage boy like an elaborate afternoon tea -- do you still even have those?

She's actually a girl. I'll think about afternoon tea - that's a fun idea.

I'd love to take her hiking - the school has arranged two hikes though, so it might be over the top. I am going to look into pony trekking though.

Orkney .... bit far for a day trip. Highland games - I think all the ones I've heard of are in the summer, but I'll check. She's going on an organised trip to Edinburgh, so that's covered - I think they are doing tartan then too.

Thanks

Laura

Yes, I think it is fun. We loved going to one. Where are you in Scotland? When I was there we loved the castles, the whiskey heritage museum, the ghost tour, and had a lovely picnic on the Isle of Skye. The drive out there was gorgeous and well worth it.

I absolutely would. I've been on the Jack Daniels tour in Tennessee a couple of times (my grandparents took me while I was in college, and again after dh and I got married). It didn't turn me into a whiskey drinker. :) I wish my kids could go on that tour; I'd have taken them at any age. *love* the guys in overalls who lead the tour. :D

Golf? Famous writers/poets houses or such? Bagpipe performance?

We live very near St Andrews, so we could go and stare at a course. None of us is a golfer, however, and the golf museum is..... less than exciting to the non-player. She'll hear bagpipes in Edinburgh - there are always buskers there. Carnegie came from near here - I'll look into that.

Laura

Distillery sounds good. We are planning a trip to one next summer.

St. Andrews is close to you. That's fun. Between the golf and Will & Kate she might really like it.

How about wildlife. I think there are some seal beaches around that area--just not sure about timing. Maybe some good nature hikes.

I would plan something each day and have some add ons in mind. After you meet her you will have a good idea of what interests her. Photography etc.

What about a tattoo (gathering of clans? ) Knife shop? (My dds collect dirks.) Art galleries? What do kids do for fun locally? When my dd went to Spain, one of her favorite days was spent with a local parkour(?) Club as they ran around doing their freerunning thing at the city's various parks.

And yes, the distillery sounds interesting.

Have you no guys in kilts for the lass??? :lol:

Any Scottish music festivals? Arts and crafts fairs?

Some of the things that you may see as very mundane might be of great interest to a visitor. A good way to get an idea of what visitors might like to do is to call or visit a local visitor's center and ask them for ideas. Most tourists love to shop - any flea markets, or whatever they're called, available there?

The tour could be okay, but I'd probably look for something else and definitely would not be bringing home any for them to partake of later. :tongue_smilie: IMO, kilts are much safer. :D

Also, museums of any kind, ask her what she'd like to see, should be fun too. Driving in the country or walking through cities and seeing the sights is also lots of fun for tourists.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Calvin's French exchange partner is coming next week and we are casting around for things to do. The school is organising some castle visiting and some hiking, so we were thinking of a whisky distillery tour. Calvin was given a glass of champagne by the town mayor when he visited France, so I don't think we'll be accused of corrupting her. However, the under-18s will not be allowed to taste or even smell the finished whisky (distillery rules). I'm wondering if it will be fun to see how it's made if they are not allowed to partake....

FWIW, we have let Calvin have small alcoholic drinks at home - this is legal in the UK.

Any other ideas of characteristically Scottish things that might be fun for a teenager?

Laura

No, I wouldn't do that. I don't drink and don't want to support that, given all the alcoholics I have known and loved, most who died young.

I'd be okay with it. My DH would probably find it interesting and would want to take our younger kids too. I'd also be okay with that. I'm okay with alcohol in moderation within the law, and I would equate a distillery/brewery tour with an auto plant tour; I'd have no problem with showing my kids how something is made, even though they'd have to wait to partake until they were a little older.

Have you no guys in kilts for the lass??? :lol: Oh she'll probably see a few of those too' date=' just on the street.[/color']

Any Scottish music festivals? Arts and crafts fairs? Not at this time of year - the tourist season doesn't start until Easter at the earliest.

Some of the things that you may see as very mundane might be of great interest to a visitor. A good way to get an idea of what visitors might like to do is to call or visit a local visitor's center and ask them for ideas. Most tourists love to shop - any flea markets, or whatever they're called, available there? We only have a farmer's market - not too thrilling compared to French markets. I'll ask at the tourist office.

Thanks

Laura

It's quite a way south of the current Scottish border. The Antonine wall is nearer, but it's just a grassy mound - not very thrilling.

Yeah, figured that might be the case. I'm pro on the whisky tour.

Since she's a girl and all, if she's the fashionable type, do be sure she has time to shop!

I wouldn't personally, but Europeans tend to be more liberal in their attitudes towards alcohol consumption. We live fairly close to the Napa wineries and I wouldn't take a child on a tour of one unless they were very young (e.g. my 3 & 6 y.o.'s I would take but not the 9 y.o.)

Are you near sheep? Isn't it close to lambing season?

ETA: I'd still go to the distillery.

Laura this site might help.

http://www.scotlands-enchanting-kingdom.com/things-to-do-in-fife.html

I think that you're assuming that things wouldn't be as exciting as they are in France, but you're forgetting that everything is exciting when it's in a new country. You may want to make a list of possible things to do and then when she arrives, check with her. I'll bet it's going to be a great week!!! :)

I think the distillery tour sounds fine under the circumstances.

I had three girls (10, 15, and 15yo) with me in Scotland for a week. Some of their favorite places were

Doune Castle--A wedding was taking place when we were there, so we got to roam around and then watch the wedding party have photos taken.

Craigtoun Country Park--The girls could not get enough of this place. They were fighting over rowing the rowboat, easily spent over an hour just on the playground, and ran around and posed with the statues. Seriously, they were all 8yo boys that day.

Miniature golf at St. Andrews course

Craigtoun Country Park--The girls could not get enough of this place. They were fighting over rowing the rowboat, easily spent over an hour just on the playground, and ran around and posed with the statues. Seriously, they were all 8yo boys that day.

Miniature golf at St. Andrews course

Craigtoun park is closed for the winter and may not open again - funding problems and dropping visitor numbers. The miniature golf is definitely a good idea though. I'll see if I can get a group to go.

Laura