Menu

Why do you home educate?

Why do you home educate?  

1. 1. Why do you home educate?

• Academics
    • Religious beliefs
    • Other option

I first started homeschooling because my 1st husband wanted to homeschool our kids, so I wanted to follow his wishes after he died. I actually thought the idea was crazy when he first told me about it.

Now its because I want whats best for each of my kids and that is homeschooling for some of them. :001_smile:

Because I want to get school done and still have time for other opportunities wihtout being stressed out. (I first became interested in homeschooling after meeting a 16yo legal secretary. I never could have done that when I was in school.)

I want more time to spend together with my family. I firmly believe that my kids get along better than siblings that go to school, because they are at home away from the poor examples they see at school.

I want to get enough sleep. I and both kids have sleep issues of various kinds. It is nice to make sure we are all well-rested.

I want to make sure that bullies do not have access to my children. I do not care to try to work with a school administration to keep my kids safe. The best prevention is to preemptively cut off access.

I want my kids to have a more diverse social life. I want them to have friends and get along with all different ages, races, and socio-economic statuses. The other day, my dd6 told her grandma that she has some grown-up friends--people from church that have become sort of like surrogate grandparents. I love that she considers them her friends. But schools train children to think that they can only have friends their own age.

Other. We do it because it's lovely to have our children at home with us and to be a part of their years of learning academics. We have no religious reasons for homeschooling. As far as academics, I'll confess I have no wishes to be a tiger mom so I do not homeschool to provide some absolutely fantastic superior education. I believe our choice is public school or homeschool and as long as we do as well as public school then our choice is valid. However, I am positive that we are actually providing more than what they would get in public school but we consider that to be an awesome benefit, not the cause of our homeschooling.

We decided to homeschool DD15 because she was having school related anxiety attacks. I was having to dope her up every morning so she could go to high school. That's not right.

We decided to homeschool my DS11 because his school wasn't teaching him how to read. He has dyslexia and had an IEP but still wasn't learning to read so we pulled him out.

One of my girls attends our local public high school. She comes home everyday complaining about how vulgar and rude her peers are. She can't stand group assignments. She says all she's learned from working in groups is that her peers can't be trusted to complete any assignments. She ends up doing the work for the entire group.

Now that I see all the benefits of homeschooling, I wish I had known homeschooling was possible when my oldest was little. I would have kept them all home.

Academics....I remember being quite bored in ps, and I want my children to get a more thorough, rigorous education than I received. I also want them to be able to get their work done and have some free time for pursuing interests in depth. And I want them to be with people who adore them!!!

I voted other. It was a total lifestyle, family relationship thing.

Back when they were ready for Kindergarten I was having too much fun exploring the world with them and did not want to stop. I thought, 'just until 6th grade' then 'just until high school'...ha.

It has been a fun road and we (the entire family) are the better for it.

So I can go to Disney World in October.

:lol: I love it!!

Actually, this coming year will be our first year of homeschooling alone and our family has a WDW trip planned for October!!

In seriousness, I have desired to teach my own children from the time that my first was born. I'm an educator- it makes sense that I'd want to teach my children first and foremost!

Really? Because I love being around my kids and can't imagine not seeing them for 8ish hrs 5 days/week.

Secondary reasons - I can choose the curriculum and how fast or slow we go with it; I don't have to get my butt (or theirs) out of bed at the ungodly hour of 5am; I can use Christian curriculum and incorporate God into their schooling.

:)

Because I am not happy with what the schools available to us have to offer. And that includes academics, and a vision of what it means to be educated, and what kind of people they are hoping to help form, and a real sense of community and healthy relationships, and time for family and non-academic pursuits, and serious academics.

I think right now homeschooling is the best option for us to get those things- I feel it is not all I'd like it to be in terms of academics - I have some talents as a teacher but some limits as well - and community - family is important but I think a larger but still tight community beyond that is also a great gift.

So I am going to do for my kids whatever can provide the best balance of with the resources available. And it sure isn't public school, and I don't much like the private options either.

100% academics. Dds went to ps in the beginning but when I was able to volunteer all the time I became more aware of the problems. Their teachers even said it was good that I was going to homeschool. :glare: Oldest goes to our zoned middle school, which is excellent, but I don't know if that will continue through high school. We will see.

I voted with two answers. Academics and Other, other being continuity. DD is/was in ps 4th grade, she had already attended 5 different school buildings in 3 states, and 2 countries by the time we pulled her out of public school at Christmas time.

Right now I'm kicking myself in the butt that I didn't start sooner as far as the academics goes. I didn't realize exactly how poor it was until I already knew I was pulling the kids out of ps to homeschool and started researching. All I did know is that I refused to allow her to do homework when she brought home "Everyday Math" homework.

I know that all I would do is fight with the school. I would have to put in more time fighting with them, or volunteering, or making up for them not getting things done, than I do into homeschooling. I am too lazy and non-conformist to deal with all the bs, and I just feel like my dd would waste her time there. I also don't feel that the government run schools in general share my values, at all.

Plus, honestly, I feel like my dd has been able to develop better relationships at home, ironically.

So, I guess it's a better quality of life for everyone involved (including the people at the school who should be grateful I don't send my child there :lol:!!!)

DD went to school for Prep/Kinder and only laste and 1 semester. She was verbally, physically and emotionally bullied by boys in her class. That was main reason for hs, but now it's academic. DS won't be going to school either.

So I voted other.

I know that all I would do is fight with the school. I would have to put in more time fighting with them, or volunteering, or making up for them not getting things done, than I do into homeschooling. I am too lazy and non-conformist to deal with all the bs, and I just feel like my dd would waste her time there. I also don't feel that the government run schools in general share my values, at all.

Plus, honestly, I feel like my dd has been able to develop better relationships at home, ironically.

So, I guess it's a better quality of life for everyone involved (including the people at the school who should be grateful I don't send my child there :lol:!!!)

:thumbup:

Academics....I remember being quite bored in ps, and I want my children to get a more thorough, rigorous education than I received. I also want them to be able to get their work done and have some free time for pursuing interests in depth. And I want them to be with people who adore them!!!

:iagree:

I was in a gifted program, but it was only 2-3 days per week in elementary school. By middle school and high school the gifted program basically consisted of going on extra field trips. I really never learned how to work hard because I was rarely challenged. I got to college and realized I didn't really know how to study. I thought I was "studying" in high school, but what a joke...I really had no idea how to buckle down and study hard.

When we are working, we work at a high level. But my children are young (newly 8, newly 5, and almost 2). I want my kids to have lots of time for free reading, tinkering, experimenting, nature, outdoor play, etc. For us, homeschooling allows a great mix of rigor and freedom.

So many reasons. The top two being Biblical belief and academics so I voted other. I also have a child with attachment disorder. Sending her to school would have been a nightmare for me. Having her home I can keep her under close watch and know she is not spreading all manner of stories around a school.

Another big reason is because I have 6 kids. This year I would have had two middle schoolers, a fourth grader, a second grader, and a K'er. Do you know how many teachers I would have had to deal with???? I can just imagine my control freak head exploding all over the place.

Bonus is being able to do all the fun stuff during the week and avoiding the crowds. Disney in October? On a weekday? Absolutely!

I voted other. I homeschool for academic reasons, for personal reasons, for religious reasons. I want my kids to have a solid education, I want to be with my kids (though there are days.....;) ), and I want the opportunity to show how our faith intersects with everything else in life (I admit I'm not great at this, but I try).

So I can go to Disney World in October.

:iagree: Travel, in general, while other kids are in school.

Spend time together as a family, help them develop their talents without the restraint of 8 hours a day in school.

Religious, sort of; but on the flip side. Our local public school is not tolerant of anyone other than evangelical Christians.

I voted other. :D

I voted other. I homeschool for academic reasons, for personal reasons, for religious reasons. I want my kids to have a solid education, I want to be with my kids (though there are days.....;) ), and I want the opportunity to show how our faith intersects with everything else in life (I admit I'm not great at this, but I try).

Bingo!! I am home schooling for character...character without faith or education is a struggle...I believe the current educational offerings (public schools) are lacking in these areas...I believe I can do a better job at helping my children grow their faith, character and knowledge.

Neither reason totally. I am sick of the crap in public school. The low standards, the celebration of mediocrity, peer pressure, bullying, lack of morals, lack of free times, the overuse of homework as a teaching tool, lazy teachers, teachers who hate what they do and do it anyway, 20 minutes for lunch, going out the door in the dark to catch a bus, following a preset schedule that interferes with family time and the freedom to vacation off-peak.....the list grows on. Add the shooting by the 9 year old today.:glare:

I've thought about this, because it's truly up to me, and I could do whatever I want with the time if I put my son in school. He's 8 and has no desire to go, even when his sisters point out the kids having recess.... he could care less. He's extremely hyper, incredibly good at math, allergic to pencils, and if history isn't about Ancient/Medieval.... history... he could care less. (Seriously?? Cutting out little things about Pilgrims?? BORING :)) For science, he's pretty much at level.

SO, I am trying to bring him up in writing and I'll reevaluate when he goes into 6th. I would like the free time; kids are exhausting. But, I don't think it would be even as good as "slightly less" than the best to put him in school. :(