Menu

Things I don't understand

I'm not gaga over kilts. I participate in the joke just for the sake of participating in a joke.

I haven't read Madame Bovary in a coon's age and can't remember if I hate her or not.

I didn't mean so much why people hate the character, but rather the novel. It seemed to make a lot of people's "waste of time" lists, and I thought that was interesting. I wonder why.

Why you all are so gaga over kilts.

Why you all seem to hate Madame Bovary.

Don't bother with the kilts. That is kind of a dead horse. But could we discuss what the problem is with Bovary? Its been ten years since I read it, but I quite liked it.

Should I be ashamed to admit HERE that I never understood the whole kilt thing? If dh wore one in public, or anywhere, I think I would die of embarrassment. It would TOTALLY turn me off.

I just googled Madam Bovary. That tells you something. :001_huh: i recognized the name. Does that count:confused:

I read Madame Bovery in high school, and hated it. It has been *ahem* a few years since I read it, but the impression it left was as follows:

Blah, Blah, blah, my life is so dull. Blah, blah, blah, who shall I fall into bed with. Blah, blah, blah, this affair no longer fulfills me. No, I can not possibly gain introspection and learn from my choices. No, I cannot possibly find fulfillment on my own. Make me happy somebody, Right.Stinkin'.Now. Tears, wailing, gnashing of teeth....merciful ending of readers' torment.

I skim read Madame Bovary about seven-eight years ago. I hated it! Blech. It had to be one of the most depressing books I had ever read.

A couple of years ago I decided to actually read it and was surprised to find that my attitude about it had changed. I loved his writing (or should I say the translation?). I also think my perspective changed due to experience. I now have a young married daughter with children and teenage daughters. I could see how a young woman's expectations about romance could be skewed by popular literature/culture. It was enlightening and I would like to share it with my girls though I'm not sure depressing them is worth it.

Same here. In fact, give me a man in riding boots and Wranglers any day over a guy in a kilt. :D

Me too, and double ditto on the man in the wranglers! I liked Madame Bovary, and don't get it either. I also read Moby Dick of my own free will. And Hated it!! I promised my kids I wouldn't ever make them read it. I also hated Lord of the Flies. I liked the concept, but the writing was A.W.F.U.L!

I read Madame Bovery in high school, and hated it. It has been *ahem* a few years since I read it, but the impression it left was as follows:

Blah, Blah, blah, my life is so dull. Blah, blah, blah, who shall I fall into bed with. Blah, blah, blah, this affair no longer fulfills me. No, I can not possibly gain introspection and learn from my choices. No, I cannot possibly find fulfillment on my own. Make me happy somebody, Right.Stinkin'.Now. Tears, wailing, gnashing of teeth....merciful ending of readers' torment.

Now see, the bolded really makes me think of Scarlet in Gone with the Wind. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Why you all are so gaga over kilts.

Why you all seem to hate Madame Bovary.

Don't bother with the kilts. That is kind of a dead horse. But could we discuss what the problem is with Bovary? Its been ten years since I read it, but I quite liked it.

I liked Madame Bovary. I read it in French, though. Does that make a difference? (Yes, I read novels in French in my American public high school.)

I like Madame Bovary. I read it with Anna Karenina and House of Mirth. They were an interesting study together.

MCT has a great bit in Classics in the Classroom about why so many people talk about how they dislike a classic. Definitely worth a read. ;)

And kilts don't do it for me either. Dh in a dress shirt and pants, with his tie off and his sleeves rolled up. Yep, that's it for me. :D

Edited by angela in ohio

I haven't read Madame Bovary and I truly don't feel I have missed out. It is not on my reading list nor do I have any desire to pick it up. And I can't read or speak or understand French at all. :D

Kilts are a diversion. I already stated this week in another thread that I don't find them sexy in any way.

I like Madame Bovary. I read it with Anna Karenina and House of Mirth. . :D

Madame Bovary and Anna Karenina together?!!!:svengo:

(I haven't read House of Mirth, but I'm guessing that not much mirth is involved.)

I read classics, but I must admit I take a Looong time to get through some of them. That is not because my intelligence isn't up to the task. It is because I have to fight the urge to throttle somebody, usually the main character, the author, or myself. When the book is done, it takes a tremendous amount of effort to forget it and regain my delusion that all is right with my world. :tongue_smilie: The bragging right doesn't seem worth the emotional toll.

Five years ago, I decided I would never again read a novel that had the word "Russian" anywhere in the description.

I have a Master's Degree in French literature. I was assigned Madame Bovary to read in at least 3 different classes from undergrad to grad school. I never made it through the whole thing. In addition to wanting to put Emma out of her whining misery, I just thought the book was incredibly dull and not engaging in the least. The whole time reading it, I was thinking, "Oh my g-d! Who cares?" The story held no appeal to me whatsoever.

:iagree:

I spent most of the book just wanting to shake the crap out of her and tell her to quit whining and grow up.

Not the most pleasant use of my time--I'll save that drama for real life!

Guess it made me realize a primary reason for reading for me is to escape.

I spent most of the book just wanting to shake the crap out of her and tell her to quit whining and grow up.

Not the most pleasant use of my time--I'll save that drama for real life!

Guess it made me realize a primary reason for reading for me is to escape.

Yep. Pretty much same response here. I don't cope with real life drama well either tho.

Still it was better than Wuthering Heights, which I think must have been the Twilight of its day. At least I can laugh through Twilight. B movie fun is what that is. It's so terrible it's great, like a good B movie should be.:D

Can I admit here that I don't get the Sean Connery love?

:confused: And I thought we were friends!! Fine! :tongue_smilie:

Madame Bovary is not a book I have contemplated. I'll pencil it in on my reading list, which is about two years long at this point.

Kilts? :D Can I claim my Scottish heritage on this one? :lol: Actually, I think fashion is a funny thing. Ds's Renaissance book had a section on fashion of the Renaissance. People would freak if they had to dress that way all the time now. IMO the kilt thing is a way to keep the heritage alive, and buck the norm a bit. You wouldn't think twice about a woman in a nice plaid wool skirt. I do prefer the utilikilt with the work man's boots over the traditional high socks and black shoes, but I'm kind of a rebel.

My World Literature professor in college said that he really liked Madame Bovary on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, while on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday he really disliked it. Sundays he didn't feel strongly either way. :D

So I am not surprised at a split on it. I didn't feel strongly either way, but I was able to read the book (in translation).

Me too, and double ditto on the man in the wranglers! I liked Madame Bovary, and don't get it either. I also read Moby Dick of my own free will. And Hated it!! I promised my kids I wouldn't ever make them read it. I also hated Lord of the Flies. I liked the concept, but the writing was A.W.F.U.L!

I read Madame Bovary in high school, of my own free will. :D I don't remember much about it, but apparently I didn't hate it. I know this because I clearly remember how much I dislike A Tale of Two Cities (don't hate me :lol:). I read Moby Dick, as well, and when I figured out that I could skip all the natural history stuff and stay with the story itself, I liked it (similar to Hans Brinker...all that stuff about the Netherlands...I just wanted to know about Hans. I can't remember if I finished it or not.) Had to read LOTF in my junior year of high school...don't remember much about it, other than the concept.

I read Madame Bovary in high school, of my own free will. :D I don't remember much about it, but apparently I didn't hate it. I know this because I clearly remember how much I dislike A Tale of Two Cities (don't hate me :lol:). I read Moby Dick, as well, and when I figured out that I could skip all the natural history stuff and stay with the story itself, I liked it (similar to Hans Brinker...all that stuff about the Netherlands...I just wanted to know about Hans. I can't remember if I finished it or not.) Had to read LOTF in my junior year of high school...don't remember much about it, other than the concept.

I'm trying to read "A Tale of Two Cities" right now. Trying to read it. I cannot get into this book. I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll put Madame Bovary on my list.

Edited by kwiech

I like Madam Bovary as a novel, but as a character she is sort of insipid and boring.

Same here.

The only book I know I hate is The Great Gatsby. :lol:

I like Madam Bovary and The Great Gatsby for the same reason. I like it when justice is more or less served at the end. This is why I do not like Great Expectations. :tongue_smilie:

I like being involved in the kilts joke. For the most part they don't do anything for me but I'm Scottish so I like kilts on principle. My tastes tend to run towards geek chic. Suit and a pair of glasses. Occasionally a British accent. Even better if they Brittish accent is being spoken in a 1950's Police Call box. :001_smile:

I'm not gaga over kilts. I participate in the joke just for the sake of participating in a joke.

I haven't read Madame Bovary in a coon's age and can't remember if I hate her or not.

If I was out someplace in the real world and saw a guy in a kilt, I'd probably just giggle. :tongue_smilie:

I like Madame Bovary. I read it with Anna Karenina and House of Mirth.

:D

Wow, that's quite the triple play of feminine misery there. Was that self-inflicted or assigned?

I liked Madame Bovary well enough, but I think I read it too young (high school) and have not reread it iin years. In contrast, I read The House of Mirth at the exact right time in my life and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

No interest in kilts, here, and have never understood why anyone would find them alluring, but then again, I feel that way about a lot of things.

Edited by JennyD

Wow, that's quite the triple play of feminine misery there. Was that self-inflicted or assigned?

I liked Madame Bovary well enough, but I think I read it too young (high school) and have not reread it iin years. In contrast, I read The House of Mirth at the exact right time in my life and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Funny, I read House of Mirth at the right time, too. I was going through a rough situation and thinking a lot about the damage women do to women as opposed to the more general idea of society wounding women.

I had never read a lot of books with female protagonists, and so I decided to read as many as possible during a literature jag a few years ago. House of Mirth was the hands down winner. :001_smile:

And as to the thread in general, another thought... maybe some of the difference in views is in the difference between character and book. I can loathe Madame Bovary but love the artistry of the book.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: give me a strong man in well-fitting blue jeans and a pair of Redwings. :drool5: I love me some blue-collar maleness, as long as there's no tail crack involved.

I have never read the Madame, in any language. Can I still hang out here? I was reading Anna Karenina, but I went on a LOTRs diversion and never made it back.

I was never sure, though - do you say kuh-REN-uh-nah? Or KARE-u-NEE-nuh? Or something else?

I've never read a book that was true waste of time.

I've read books that are intellectual waste lands (Twilight*):D, and I've read books that I didn't particularly enjoy - I read something by Gore Vidal once that made we want to poke out my eyeballs - but I usually learn a thing or two about a thing or two even unintentionally.

I read Bovary about 15 years ago and completely enjoyed it. It's not a book I've re-read or returned to, but the theme has none-the-less stayed with me.

*Twilight and books like it have entertainment value and I appreciate a little mindless entertainment.

I have always said that good writing style does not a good book make.

Edited by jcooperetc