Menu

Serious question

Why are religious discussions (or debates) allowed here, but not political ones?

I haven't been here a very long time, but I have seen many, many threads where there is a significant...shall we say...difference of opinion between two or more groups, and yet the threads stay civil for the most part.

I wonder why the same can't hold true for politics. Maybe it's just me, but I think most people get more fired up over religion than who they're voting for. If y'all can be calm and respectful over spiritual debates, can't you also over political ones?

I don't mean to stir the pot or anything. I'm genuinely curious. I don't have many politically conservative friends IRL, and I suspect some of y'all could offer me some enlightenment, if only we could discuss certain things.

Alas, I know it's not going to happen, but the argumentative teenager in me just needs to know why. :D

Why are religious discussions (or debates) allowed here, but not political ones?

I haven't been here a very long time, but I have seen many, many threads where there is a significant...shall we say...difference of opinion between two or more groups, and yet the threads stay civil for the most part.

I wonder why the same can't hold true for politics. Maybe it's just me, but I think most people get more fired up over religion than who they're voting for. If y'all can be calm and respectful over spiritual debates, can't you also over political ones?

I don't mean to stir the pot or anything. I'm genuinely curious. I don't have many politically conservative friends IRL, and I suspect some of y'all could offer me some enlightenment, if only we could discuss certain things.

Alas, I know it's not going to happen, but the argumentative teenager in me just needs to know why. :D

And that is why you have NO IDEA how bad it can get here around election time. I am pretty sure they shut down the boards completely multiple times during the 2008 election.

U.G.L.Y.

We tried allowing political debates during the last election cycle and it was a disaster. We lost a lot of great older timers and probably a lot of nebs too who thought that perhaps the board was always that way. People are not as respectful about politics as they are about religion.

Edited by KidsHappen

And that is why you have NO IDEA how bad it can get here around election time. I am pretty sure they shut down the boards completely multiple times during the 2008 election.

U.G.L.Y.

Wow...I wasnt here either then. That surprises me...or maybe not! ;)

If y'all can be calm and respectful over spiritual debates, can't you also over political ones?

Have you actually read many of those "spiritual debates?" Because there have been an awful lot of major train wrecks that started out very nicely and turned vicious, too.

I wouldn't get involved in a political debate here, so my opinion probably doesn't really matter, but I think we don't get into political discussions because those are SWB's rules, and this is her forum.

I think the big difference between the religious and political threads is that while the religious threads sometimes turn ugly, the political threads always turn ugly.

The moderators have enough work to do. Why add more by allowing topics that they know will end in arguments and hurt feelings?

I used to be on another homeschooling board where political discussions were allowed, and it never stayed civil. I think religious debates can stay civil here because it's someone's belief system. It's difficult and pointless to argue with a person's faith because it's faith, and not based on fact. When politics are involved, it's often a murky mess of facts plus faith. Many Christians I know and am friends with vote Republican because Republicans generally support issues that are important spiritually to Christians. Most Republicans are anti-abortion, for example. That is a mix of faith (their faith says it's wrong) with politics. It's easier to get offended with political discussions because so often people are poking fun at the other party, and even saying things like, "I can't believe anyone voted for him," or "How could the morons in this country elect that idiot?" When comments like that are made, it's pretty easy to become offended because you just might be that "moron" who voted for that "idiot," and your whole belief system and judgment is being called into question. I've seen some religious discussions here like that which have been quickly closed down, but for the most part the religious discussions here haven't stomped on anyone else's beliefs. Political discussions always do because it's generally 2 candidates,and creates an us against them mentality. There are many religions, so it tends not to be as polarizing unless you get someone who is preachy, obnoxious, and convinced they're right and everyone else is wrong. Those few threads I've seen like that in my couple of years here have been quickly shut down, as I said.

We tried allowing political debates during the last election cycle and it was a disaster. We lost a long of great older timers and probably a lot of nebs too who thought that perhaps the board was always that way. People are not as respectful about politics as they are about religion.

Yes, this. :iagree: I was around the last time as a lurker and it was unpleasant, I felt like I had lost my 'happy place'. I agree with KidsHappen, peope try to be more tactful about religious differences than they are with political ones.

Many Christians I know and am friends with vote Republican because Republicans generally support issues that are important spiritually to Christians.

Likewise, I know many Christian Democrats because Democrats are heavily involved with social causes, which are also spiritually important to Christians.

Most Republicans are anti-abortion, for example.

So are many Democrats. Harry Reid, the current party whip, is pro-life for example.

Have you actually read many of those "spiritual debates?" Because there have been an awful lot of major train wrecks that started out very nicely and turned vicious, too.

?

:iagree: even when the OP makes clear they are "just asking a question, no bashing", it seems someone always ends up bashing (then again, I haven't read them all), even if the majority are polite. many entire religion threads have been deleted, so if you weren't here for the fireworks, you wouldn't know about them.

Wow. I honestly had no idea. Y'all seem like such a nice bunch! Catwoman, yes, I have read most of the religious threads. That's why I know that despite BIG differences of opinion, most posters will remain civil.

I suppose it is more acceptable to bash/pick/mock someone's politics than their religion. One is more likely to change than the other. Plus, we all know that sense goes right out the window in an election year. :lol:

Well, thanks for explaining. I still think it's a shame, but at least I understand now.

So are many Democrats. Harry Reid, the current party whip, is pro-life for example.

Harry Reid expanded embryonic stem cell research, supports federal abortion funding, believes in funding contraception, sponsored a bill allowing emergency contraception. He is against late-term abortions unless the mother's life is at risk. He may not be entirely pro-choice, but he's also not as a extreme as certain candidates who feel life starts at conception and abortions should never be performed for any reason -- even when the mother's life is in jeopardy.

And yes, of course there are going to be pro-life Democrats. I have yet to see a pro-choice candidate from the Republican party run for a major office though.

Harry Reid expanded embryonic stem cell research, supports federal abortion funding, believes in funding contraception, sponsored a bill allowing emergency contraception. He is against late-term abortions unless the mother's life is at risk. He may not be entirely pro-choice, but he's also not as a extreme as certain candidates who feel life starts at conception and abortions should never be performed for any reason -- even when the mother's life is in jeopardy.

I will agree that he has a less extreme view than some fundamentalists.

And yes, of course there are going to be pro-life Democrats. I have yet to see a pro-choice candidate from the Republican party run for a major office though.

That depends upon your definition, I suppose.

Wow. I honestly had no idea. Y'all seem like such a nice bunch! Catwoman, yes, I have read most of the religious threads. That's why I know that despite BIG differences of opinion, most posters will remain civil.

I suppose it is more acceptable to bash/pick/mock someone's politics than their religion. One is more likely to change than the other. Plus, we all know that sense goes right out the window in an election year. :lol:

Well, thanks for explaining. I still think it's a shame, but at least I understand now.

I think that also during election time Political threads could possibly attract trolls.

We don't want someone joining the board just to grandstand and either support or mud sling a certain candidate.

It is a shame, because there are some intelligent, thoughtful, passionate folks on here. It would be great to have a place to ask sincere questions about other viewpoints,. I am very alone in my political view irl. But I would rather save WTM as my 'happy place'.:001_smile:

U.G.L.Y.

Yep... it was during the 2008 election that I learned how ugly internet discussion can be. And I won't say which side was nastiest. :D

Oh, no. It gets ugly when politics are discussed here. People lose control. It isn't pleasant At. All.

I don't think the religion threads stay civil. I think it is pointless to, for example, nitpick how Communion is taken, or who is a Christian, or works vs grace...etc. These things are a matter of faith...how can someone look into someone else's heart and decide what truth is for him or her? I have read posts in which someone claim the real, true truth. Whose truth? Truth means different things to different people. Also it is icky to come on here and see people tearing apart one religion or another like vultures. I think the religion posts should go the way of the political posts. It can feel pretty hostile here some times!

Neil Gaiman's library (part of it)

Oh man... I want!!!!

And the threads I've seen on politics make me very grateful for the ban. I found the boards soon after the election was over. I think if I had found them during the election season I wouldn't be here.

Because of the last election year...yeah, it wasn't pretty...

I don't think the religion threads stay civil. I think it is pointless to, for example, nitpick how Communion is taken, or who is a Christian, or works vs grace...etc. These things are a matter of faith...how can someone look into someone else's heart and decide what truth is for him or her? I have read posts in which someone claim the real, true truth. Whose truth? Truth means different things to different people. Also it is icky to come on here and see people tearing apart one religion or another like vultures. I think the religion posts should go the way of the political posts. It can feel pretty hostile here some times!

Many times we learn from one another on those threads though. We've learned a lot about Paganism, Atheism, Judaism, Islam, and various forms of Christianity. Sometimes the debates are more civil and informative...sometimes not. It's not always a debate though.

Alas, :D

I think people are able to discuss religion more civily because you choose which faith to follow. Your faith choice doesn't impact mine for better or for worse. However, we all live under the same government. Your political view (and hence votes) do impact my life. It is feels much more personal. Plus, politics is tied to money, and that always makes people hot.

:iagree: I just avoid these threads now.....I can't believe how harsh & judgmental people can be. I've never seen the political threads from way back then but wow, they must have been pretty bad if the religion-based threads pale in comparison :blink:

Every single chat forum I'm on banned political threads in 2008.

People won't change their political views so there's no point in discussing it on here.

Do people ever change their minds? IRL or online? I was about to start a thread about this. There is an editorial on WSJ today about a bunch of scientists who don't agree with global warming. My thought was - ok, if I believe in global warming, would that letter sway me? What would? I haven't met too many people who change their opinions on matters, even if presented with facts, data and research on the topic (not referring to global warming here. Not trying to go there.) I think people tend to believe what they believe and nothing you can say can change their minds.

I appreciate the diversity of thought here and have had my perceptions changed and my understanding expanded. Don't know if I've ever changed my complete opinion, but I have understood "the other side" better. I think one of the ways is through the calm, rational discussions that tend to occur here. Hat tip to the moderators.

I think people are able to discuss religion more civily because you choose which faith to follow. Your faith choice doesn't impact mine for better or for worse. However, we all live under the same government. Your political view (and hence votes) do impact my life. It is feels much more personal. Plus, politics is tied to money, and that always makes people hot.

:iagree: This totally makes sense.

Do people ever change their minds? IRL or online?

Yes, people change their minds. My political views have changed quite a bit over the past few years. Listening to why other people came to their own conclusions was a big part of how I started looking at things from more perspectives, and coming to new conclusions.

Both senators from Maine - Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins - are Republicans (very moderate ones) and are pro-choice.

Two observations.

The first is that when we disagree on religious matters, it doesn't really make a difference because how you worship and how you believe doesn't affect me and my life. But if we disagree politically, and your party or guy or whatever wins, that has the potential to make a huge difference in my life.

The second has to do with politics on these boards. During the last presidential election it was really odd for me because there were several people on here whose opinions on education I *really* respect who had political views that were absolutely in opposition to my own. It really was difficult for me to believe that an intelligent person could actually believe such things. I mean, obviously there are a lot of ways to look at these issues, and I like to think that I'm a fairly tolerant person, but my reaction to some of the posts (internally, I mean, as I don't think I actually responded to any of the posts that affected me this way) was really much more extreme than I would have expected.