Menu

Serious question

I think the religion posts should go the way of the political posts.

I hope not! I really do value hearing the other side of things. It doesn't always change my mind on things, but just understanding the other position is valuable, since at SOME point we are going to be interacting with people who have those views. I also respect anyone who has a polite and well-reasoned argument for what they believe, religious or political, and enjoy hearing what they have to say.

I agree with the poster that said it is sad in our society that no one can have civil discourse anymore.

I agree with the poster that said it is sad in our society that no one can have civil discourse anymore.

I agree. I wish people had more patience for reasoned arguments. I wish more people had a talent for logic. I wish people could listen instead of waiting for their turn to talk (and by talk I mean lob some emotionally charged, flawed rhetoric a me). I wish people looked further into candidates than what their soundbites say.

I read the Lincoln-Douglas debates and think, WOW! They actually said things!!

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I think the religion posts should go the way of the political posts. It can feel pretty hostile here some times!

I'm glad they haven't. I've seen quite a few people's fear and tension levels decrease from what they've learned in those threads. In my opinion, that's worth the occasional ugliness.

Rosie

Most Republicans are anti-abortion, for example.

I'm sure it is selection bias, but I seem to know Republicans who are just libertarian (not with capital L) who know voting Libertarian is not a viable way to win an office at this time. And I also know Republicans who are only conservative in their fiscal views. They are less apparent, as they are less noisy than social conservatives.

But then, where I work there are not that many overtly religious people. Many church goers, but not the adamant kind. I know one who decided not to work there because she felt all the "sin" there would be ungodly for her to see. Screamed obscenities, nudity, and violence. There was one misguided woman who felt she and her husband's prayer was so powerful, the sick would be healed. She quit. So, I suspect it is an environment that those who oppose legalized abortion would be less likely to join.

We do have, however, many 2nd Amendment fans, pro-death penalty, and global-warming skeptics. But generally, it is felt abortion and MJ should be legal. Death With Dignity is spoken about positively, too.

Yes, there are a lot of people that are fiscally one direction and socially another direction. I landed slightly right leaning Centrist (only slightly...probably because of issues such as abortion). Again, I don't really like any of the parties or any of the candidates. I don't believe any of them are truly out for the good of the people and they're all after the same thing. Of course, I also don't believe our vote counts for diddly anymore. I'm a political cynic.

I agree with the thought of the OP. I wish we could discuss politics here, because there is such a varied experience of intelligent people who all think so many different things. Unfortunately, I think many people here (no offense intended) are a bit sensitive and have trouble just letting posts roll off their backs. If I get to a point where I am reacting emotionally to what someone on the Internet posted about their political beliefs, I just back off and don't continue the conversation. That being said, I invite anyone at all to PM me if they ever have an issue they might like to gain a different perspective on. :)