Menu

Tell me you've done something this brainless!

We have had a rooftop carrier on our van for about a week and my dh has reminded and reminded me to NOT drive into the garage.

Guess what I did yesterday? Yep.

Guess what I did AGAIN today? Yep.

I told dh about the first; I think I'll just omit the second occurrence!

Does anyone else space out and do nutty things that they knew they should do???

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled into the garage with the tailgate door of the van still up. It made a huge noise and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Backed out to find my brand new next door neighbor and his dad watching the whole the thing, and a huge scratch down the back door of the van where the garage door opener scraped the paint clear off. Thankfully it was a in a different house in a different state in a different van and I had almost forgotten all about it until now! :)

It was 5:00 a.m. I was the only one who was wide awake in the neighborhood, and I was on my way to a prayer meeting.

I got into my SUV, put it into reverse, and backed up. I didn't get very far. I hit something.

For no reason, I thought I had hit a log. My SUV is strong like a bull, so I figured it would go over that log. I moved forward and backed up again and again, but I could not get over it no matter how hard I hit the accelerator.

I was very disappointed in my vehicle, and I got out to move the log myself.

It was DH's car. He always parked beside me. I did not notice that his car was not in its usual spot. I did not look in the rear view mirror. Or maybe I did and his car was so low to the ground I couldn't see it. I have no explanation for this, especially since I had never seen a log lying around our property during the decade we'd lived there.

DH's car might have had scratches on its bumper or maybe a dent. What I remember clearly is that my SUV was not damaged at all. Because it is strong like a bull.

Edited by RoughCollie

I drove my sister's car while I was staying at her house. I got in her car, cranked it up, and promptly backed right into her dh's truck. I wrecked both of their vehicles at once. When I looked up, she was looking out her kitchen window. I will never forget the look on her face.

Edited by MamaT

Not nearly so expensive, but my first-time-pregnant brain completely shut down on me one day while I was out to lunch with two teacher friends. We were at a local fast-food place trying to eat before our lunch break was over and the woman who substituted in the office for the secretary walked in. We turned to say hello ... I don't know what I was thinking. I was holding my milkshake in my right hand, taking a drink and for some reason let-go mid-drink ... the entire thing went crashing down to the floor between me and one of the other teachers. The straw stayed in my mouth, dripping milkshake down my pregnant-belly. The other teacher was sitting across the table and had a look of horror on her face; my friend next to me thought I was in labor. Nope. Just epic pregnant-brain failure. I still cannot tell the story without laughing so hard I can't continue.

I have a bad habit of knocking side view mirrors off cars. Did it twice to the same car, granted the garage was small. Dh glued and screwed it back on.

Dh backed out of the garage (different house) with the tailgate down and plowed into my car (a Jimmy). I still have the dented door, thankfully it wasn't the driver's door. I'm still kind of ticked about that one as this is the car we're saving for ds. Dh hopes to replace the door.

On our new stove I keep forgetting which is front and rear burners. They are clearly marked, but I often turn on the wrong one. I've started reading the name out loud as I turn it on to double check.

A few months ago I cooked a pizza with the cardboard bottom still on it. I was stressed and half-sick. Aside from the car mirrors most of my accidents happen in the kitchen.

Edited by elegantlion

I've pulled into a low-clearance parking garage with the rooftop carrier still attached to the minivan...and it was during a huge downtown festival my first weekend after moving out here...lots of folks to gawk at me :glare: I have NEVER gotten that thing off the roof so fast! (I should have known to avoid the garage, it was full anyway due to the festival.)

No marks on the carrier or the van, whew!

too many stories to tell them all.

I backed my brand new Yukon ( only had 700 miles on it) right into the car I had just asked my SIL to move. My brain told me that he would move it to the side of the garage. SO I never looked. Crunch. I am ever thankful I didn't hit my SIL. Altho the thought that he watched me do the whole thing still haunts me.

I was using my rotary cutter one day and cut right into the cord on my serger. Fortunatly my DH said it was a right of passage. All men have to cut off the cord on their electric saws at least once. He figured it was the same thing. And he was able to fix it. But I see the tape on it every time I sit down to sew and I chuckle.

too many stories to tell them all.

I backed my brand new Yukon ( only had 700 miles on it) right into the car I had just asked my SIL to move. My brain told me that he would move it to the side of the garage. SO I never looked. Crunch. I am ever thankful I didn't hit my SIL. Altho the thought that he watched me do the whole thing still haunts me.

I was using my rotary cutter one day and cut right into the cord on my serger. Fortunatly my DH said it was a right of passage. All men have to cut off the cord on their electric saws at least once. He figured it was the same thing. And he was able to fix it. But I see the tape on it every time I sit down to sew and I chuckle.

I think that ranks up there with sewing your fingernail to the new machine. One in my sewing group did that and had the needle in the down position. She couldn't get the needle out of her fingernail and called the fire department to help. One of the men walked in and pressed the needle up. Her fingernail was free in a second and we still get a good laugh out of it. :lol:

Yes, I SAW that the hired man was working on the diesel. That means it was NOT in the usual place in the shop. Instead of LOOKING as I backed up, I just turned the wheel when I always do, as I passed the air compressor. Gouge across the entire side of the van... Oops!

I did something very similar last summer during our kitchen remodel.

I walked right past the electrician's truck parked right behind and slightly to the right of my car, got in and promptly put the car in reverse, turned the wheel in the usual way, and backed right into him. :ohmy:

Then I went into the kitchen and said "Kevin? I just hit your truck..." He was so nice about it. (I remembered later that his name was Dave. :001_rolleyes:)

Not nearly so expensive, but my first-time-pregnant brain completely shut down on me one day while I was out to lunch with two teacher friends. We were at a local fast-food place trying to eat before our lunch break was over and the woman who substituted in the office for the secretary walked in. We turned to say hello ... I don't know what I was thinking. I was holding my milkshake in my right hand, taking a drink and for some reason let-go mid-drink ... the entire thing went crashing down to the floor between me and one of the other teachers. The straw stayed in my mouth, dripping milkshake down my pregnant-belly. The other teacher was sitting across the table and had a look of horror on her face; my friend next to me thought I was in labor. Nope. Just epic pregnant-brain failure. I still cannot tell the story without laughing so hard I can't continue.

omg I can't stop laughing. I'm about to get kicked out of my room!

It was 5:00 a.m. I was the only one who was wide awake in the neighborhood, and I was on my way to a prayer meeting.

I got into my SUV, put it into reverse, and backed up. I didn't get very far. I hit something.

For no reason, I thought I had hit a log. My SUV is strong like a bull, so I figured it would go over that log. I moved forward and backed up again and again, but I could not get over it no matter how hard I hit the accelerator.

It was DH's car. He always parked beside me. I did not notice that his car was not in its usual spot. I did not look in the rear view mirror. Or maybe I did and his car was so low to the ground I couldn't see it. I have no explanation for this, especially since I had never seen a log lying around our property during the decade we'd lived there.

DH's car might have had scratches on its bumper or maybe a dent. What I remember clearly is that my SUV was not damaged at all. Because it is strong like a bull.

:lol:This is the funniest thing I have ever read!! :lol:

I used to have a hobby of either melting teakettles or fusing them to the stove if they wouldn't melt. So now I don't use teakettles, ever ! I boil water in an open saucepan. This way I don't ever forget that I put water on to boil.

OH, MY! I thought I was the only person who did that!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

This whole thread is hilarious. Gasping for air!!!

I feel so much better now. So many times I've done something and wondered, "Why did I do that?"

Glad to know there are others with the same affliction.

:lol::lol::lol:

How sad is it that I've done multiple things that have already been mentioned in this thread? :lol:

Yep. I pulled out of the garage and backed right into our other car. Twice.

I've done that too. Twice. Two days in a row. Into dh's car. (Fortunately, no damage.)

Actually, my dad did the same thing to my car when it was in his driveway. He hit my car hard enough the side panel had to be replaced.

I used to have a hobby of either melting teakettles or fusing them to the stove if they wouldn't melt. So now I don't use teakettles, ever ! I boil water in an open saucepan. This way I don't ever forget that I put water on to boil.

Yeah, that burning enamel smells horrible, doesn't it??? I did that so many times (and I never actually used the teakettle). Now, I'm like you. Open saucepan. Or, I put water in the microwave to boil.

My grandfather ended up burning down his kitchen 3 times by doing a similar thing. We used to joke that he would know when his water was ready when the smoke was too thick to see the tv. (Fortunately, 2 of his sons were firemen in the same town; another son was a paramedic. The fire station always joked to my uncles that their dad was burning the house down again & wanted to put a sub-station on my grandfather's street.)

I guess I'll blame my mishaps on genetics. :tongue_smilie::lol:

How sad is it that I've done multiple things that have already been mentioned in this thread? :lol:

You're not the only one :blushing:

Dumb things I've done that I don't believe I've seen mentioned so far:

-I had to spend Christmas Eve in the urgent care center having half of my fingernail glued back on with Derma-Bond after I sliced right through it when I was careless with a sharp knife.

-Forgetting that I had an open-top cup of chai in the cupholder where I often place my cell when driving and ruining my phone.

Then I went into the kitchen and said "Kevin? I just hit your truck..." He was so nice about it. (I remembered later that his name was Dave.

:lol::lol:

I shouldn't have read this thread. Right after reading this, I dropped the checkbook into the toilet - the still unflushed toilet.

Dang Jean, when you mean business you mean business! ;) :D hehe

This isn't mine but it's the one the kids laugh about the most.

My Mom had picked them up and decided to take them to a&w for lunch. My mom pulled up to the drive through and started to place their order at the garbage can! The girls couldn't stop laughing long enough to help her!

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my gosh that's hilarious. I was trying to think of something brainless I've done and was having trouble remembering an incident I could share (no doubt my subconscious pride suppressing my memories! hehe ) and I couldn't think of one until you posted this. Just recently while my mom was down here visiting for Christmas, she asked me to take her to Pollo Tropical since she doesn't have one where she lives now. I, being a good daughter, dutifully drove to the Pollo Tropical drive through and was completely mystified by the menu. I couldn't find black beans and rice or platanos maduros on the menu anywhere! I must have sat there for a full minute or two trying to find the family meals on the drive thru menu when my daughter said from the backseat, "Oh! Are we having Wendy's instead? I thought we were having Pollo Tropical."

Turns out they are right next to each other and I was in the Wendy's drive through and never even noticed a Wendy's sign! :001_huh: We had a good chuckle about that one. hehe

this is a great thread!

I've not been saved by the open pot for boiling water....I have (more than once) put water to boil and forgotten about it for so long that the entire pan is dry by the time I remember and go start over.

And recently I absentmindedly poured the milk for my coffee into the sugar bowl instead of my mug.

I don't have any car incidents, though; at least, none I can think of right now. The sewing machine stories are scaring me though; I just got my first sewing machine....hopefully no sewn finger nails in my future!

:lol::lol::lol: I laughed until I cried reading this

When I was a very new driver, I worked at a flower farm. One day I was told to back the trailer into the packing shed, load it up with all the piles of leaves and wasted flowers, and dump them into the composting heap in the paddock. I had no idea how to reverse with a trailer on. So I unhitched the trailer, pushed it into the shed and loaded it, backed the car up and hitched the trailer, I didn't even think to check how it was all lined up, Did I tell you that I was a new driver? When I heard a bang I hit the accelerator instead of then break, I ripped the door frame and part of the wall out of the shed.

Yup, I did this when our luggage carrier was on top of the van. Only a small crack in it, but enough to let in rain, making it completely useless in a country where it rains 364 days a year. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but you get the point.

I drove my sister's car while I was staying at her house. I got in her car, cranked it up, and promptly backed right into her dh's truck. I wrecked both of their vehicles at once. When I looked up, she was looking out her kitchen window. I will never forget the look on her face.

We borrowed my bil's car years ago. I drove it for miles with the handbrake on - couldn't figure out what that smell was! Duh. Fortunately it was an old junker.

I backed into dh's car with my van. DH was in the passenger seat. I stopped, "Opps! Put it into drive and pulled off his car's bumper with the tow hitch on the van."

It was a Sunday morning and we were on our way to church.

:auto:

He's forgiven me. And he no longer parks his car in that spot.

The sewing machine stories are scaring me though; I just got my first sewing machine....hopefully no sewn finger nails in my future!

Yeah -- I wish I had only sewn my fingerNAIL -- I've sewn right through my finger!! Thankfully it was just to the side of the nail where there aren't too many nerve endings, but the sight of the needle straight through the finger is horrifying. Plus, like an idiot, I tried to yank my hand out of the machine without lifting the needle first!?!?!

Oh Wow, these are hilarious. Jessica - that just sounds painful. Yikes.

I haven't had any car mishaps thankfully. At least not since I was 15 and driving a friends car without a license, right into a tree. Hit the gas instead of the brake. Broke my nose. I guess I learned my lesson really young.

We do have a Suburban with a carrier on top but so far, no mishaps there. DH parks his boat at the back of our driveway and I am totally paranoid that I'm going to hit the trailer one day and knock his boat off.

I did accidentally pour breastmilk into my tea once or twice.

Poured hot water for tea into a sippy cup instead of my mug and melted the sippy cup.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour hot grease into a styrofoam cup.

Tried to hard boil eggs and forgot until the water completely evaporated and the eggs were black.

Got second degree burns putting very hot spaghettios into a thermos.

Turned around while pouring a drink and poured it out on the floor.

Broke my foot walking UP stairs.

We have had a rooftop carrier on our van for about a week and my dh has reminded and reminded me to NOT drive into the garage.

Guess what I did yesterday? Yep.

Guess what I did AGAIN today? Yep.

I told dh about the first; I think I'll just omit the second occurrence!

Does anyone else space out and do nutty things that they knew they should do???

LOL! This was timely. My dh and son loaded our car top carrier, put all the ski equipment in and then dh told my son to drive it over "to the garage". Dh doesn't communicate well; ds doesn't listen well. So ds drove into the garage - because he is who he is, he went much faster than dh would have done. Dh was running after him flailing his arms. The suburban and car topper just barely cleared the door! I thought dh was going to have a heart attack right then. Ds didn't understand the problem :lol: I suggested that dh let some air out of the tires to lower the suburban if he was still worried - for some reason he was concerned about moving it back out :001_huh: Hey, it cleared the door once, surely it will again.

Oh, this also reminded me of our years in Iowa City. There is a little railway bridge over a main road in downtown IC. This is also the area where the students typically live. So...lots of UHauls go through town. Inevitably, every semester, someone drives a too tall UHaul into the bridge! The bridge is marked "low clearance" and the local UHaul store forbids any of its trucks to take that route. Once, the driver must have felt that he could just keep on going...totally peeled off the top of the UHaul.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/53808307.html (picture of truck stuck under bridge)

Edited by CynthiaOK

Yeah -- I wish I had only sewn my fingerNAIL -- I've sewn right through my finger!! Thankfully it was just to the side of the nail where there aren't too many nerve endings, but the sight of the needle straight through the finger is horrifying. Plus, like an idiot, I tried to yank my hand out of the machine without lifting the needle first!?!?!

Ouch!

You are so not helping!! LOL!

I locked myself out of a client's house this summer. With the dog. In the 100 degree weather...Just closed the door instinctively and left the key inside the house.

Then, when I got a key from a neighbor, I opened the door but couldn't get the key to come out of the knob. I literally sat down and cried!! Thank goodness another neighbor (a Nat'l Guardsman to boot) helped me jiggle it out.

Not a good day!!

We all have them, eh?

What a fun thread to read this morning!

This is so funny! I can just picture you going back and forth. "Why can't I drive over this dang log!!" :lol:

On our new stove I keep forgetting which is front and rear burners. They are clearly marked, but I often turn on the wrong one. I've started reading the name out loud as I turn it on to double check.

I do this all the time. We have very little counter space so often there's stuff on my stove top (I thought I would love having a flat top stove....but stuff it always set there). I've started a few minor kitchen fires because of it. :001_smile:

I think that ranks up there with sewing your fingernail to the new machine. One in my sewing group did that and had the needle in the down position. She couldn't get the needle out of her fingernail and called the fire department to help. One of the men walked in and pressed the needle up. Her fingernail was free in a second and we still get a good laugh out of it.

:lol: How embarrassing! I bet those guys had a good laugh too.

I did something very similar last summer during our kitchen remodel.

I walked right past the electrician's truck parked right behind and slightly to the right of my car, got in and promptly put the car in reverse, turned the wheel in the usual way, and backed right into him.

Then I went into the kitchen and said "Kevin? I just hit your truck..." He was so nice about it. (I remembered later that his name was Dave.)

:smilielol5:

This isn't mine but it's the one the kids laugh about the most.

My Mom had picked them up and decided to take them to a&w for lunch. My mom pulled up to the drive through and started to place their order at the garbage can! The girls couldn't stop laughing long enough to help her!

:lol:

I couldn't find black beans and rice or platanos maduros on the menu anywhere! I must have sat there for a full minute or two trying to find the family meals on the drive thru menu when my daughter said from the backseat, "Oh! Are we having Wendy's instead? I thought we were having Pollo Tropical."

Turns out they are right next to each other and I was in the Wendy's drive through and never even noticed a Wendy's sign! We had a good chuckle about that one. hehe

:lol:

Well....I've had my share of brainless things I've done. A few involved backing our vehicle up....knocked down part of our fence once (gosh...how I miss that cute fence!).

I have two top stupid things I've done.

A few months after having my first baby.....I accidently locked her in the car at Walmart. We were shopping, went to the car, I put baby & infant car seat in the car (blanket over baby), set my purse on the seat, put the Walmart bags in, must have bumped the power lock button, turned around to move the shopping cart and bumped the door shut. Talk about the most awful feeling!!! :eek: It took the Walmart staff forever to find a wire coat hanger. When they did finally track one down....a biker dude customer came and got my lock open (he said he used to be a "professional"). To be honest.....I don't think I ever confessed this to my dh. I have told my dd about it.

Fast forward 15 years later (hmmm....I guess I don't do really stupid things very often) on a Sunday morning. My dh and ds were gone on a job somewhere. My two girls and I were going to go to church. I always, always, always walk out of the house with my key in hand before locking the door. That day...I didn't. The very second I shut the locked door I remembered that I didn't have my key in my purse (or my hand). We had recently moved there and had no spare key hidden. We didn't know any of our neighbors....didn't have a cell phone. My car keys were with my house key....so we couldn't drive anywhere. Thankfully the vehicle wasn't locked. We had to wait in the van until my dh got home. We waited from about 9:30 am until about 2 pm. The worst part was that sometime during that wait I had to go potty and couldn't barely hold it anymore (apparently young girls can hold it way longer than a mom can). I had to go in the back yard and try to find a place to pee. Our privacy fences were not up yet. My dh had a ton of cardboard and cardboard boxes so I frantically made a makeshift outhouse with those. Try peeing outside (no place to sit) in a dress and high heels with cardboard boxes around you. Then it got windy and the boxes went flying before I was done. :blushing: Yeah....fun times!

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Then it got windy and the boxes went flying before I was done. :blushing: Yeah....fun times!

ROFL :lol::lol: Oh man, I can just picture it! Poor you! My dh is so notorious for locking the keys in the car that I always carry a spare car key in my wallet so I can unlock the door. He's locked the keys in the car more times than I can even remember. Once while we were in another country, in the mountains out all by ourselves with only a boarding school nearby and nothing else. One of the kids in the school was a former "professional" as well ;) and got the car unlocked for us. My dh always has me drive now. lol

I opened the back hatch on the minivan (with a remote) without checking to make sure the garage door was up. I don't know WHAT I was thinking. I didn't know the garage door could bulge out that way. Thankfully, everything popped back into place when I lowered the hatch.

DH can't say anything, though. He backed his brand new car into a car sitting in the driveway (he was coming out of the garage). He did it twice.

Oh, I totally destroyed our living room ceiling in our old condo- not once (That time wasn't really my fault), not twice, but 3 times by not noticing something in the stationary tub in the upstairs laundry room, causing the tub to overflow and flood down through the living room ceiling. :svengo: Imagine that third phone call to dh at work. :D

And, there was also the time that I rolled over my glasses that I had set on my bed- a week after getting the new pair that replaced the pair I broke by rolling over them in my bed. :glare:

Yep. I'm right there with you on the brainless destruction of property!