Menu

The Death of Pretty

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for the article. It seems to imply, to me, that women are responsible for inspiring men to be chivalrous. I want women to be who they are. I don't need to feign innocence in order to snag a man who will protect and defend me. I am a strong, capable woman. I am not ashamed. My husband respects and admires that.

I don't care for the article. It seems to imply, to me, that women are responsible for inspiring men to be chivalrous. I want women to be who they are. I don't need to feign innocence in order to snag a man who will protect and defend me. I am a strong, capable woman. I am not ashamed. My husband respects and admires that.

:iagree:

The comment about how the article should be called the death of sexual innocence was more appropriate.

I agree that pretty brings out the best in men while hot brings out the worst.

I'm not so sure about that. A nice guy is a nice guy, whether he's talking with the "hot" girl, the "pretty" girl, or the "downright plain" girl.

There are plenty of "hot" girls who have self-respect and expect to be treated with respect, just as I'm sure there are lots of sweet-looking "pretty" girls who aren't exactly innocent.

I think men will treat women as the women demand to be treated. "Hot" doesn't necessarily mean "loose tramp."

I'm not so sure about that. A nice guy is a nice guy, whether he's talking with the "hot" girl, the "pretty" girl, or the "downright plain" girl.

There are plenty of "hot" girls who have self-respect and expect to be treated with respect, just as I'm sure there are lots of sweet-looking "pretty" girls who aren't exactly innocent.

I think men will treat women as the women demand to be treated. "Hot" doesn't necessarily mean "loose tramp."

I do agree with this. It seems though that many girls do not understand this though.

I do agree with this. It seems though that many girls do not understand this though.

I know what you mean, and it's sad. But I remember back when I was in school, the trashiest girl I knew was the most conservatively dressed. Her parents were very strict, and I guess she was rebelling against her lack of freedom. When I say she was with all the guys I knew, I'm not kidding. :eek: But to look at her, you would have thought she was the sweetest, most innocent girl on the planet.

"Hot" can mean pretty silly, too. I am reminded of one of my daughters who was planning to be introduced to her boyfriend's parents one evening. She had outlined her eyes in thick black eyeliner (quite the contrast for the pale, freckled redhead) and was practicing what I can only describe as a squint in the mirror. She told me this was 'hot' and showed me a magazine article with something about a 'smouldering pout' that was supposed to make a woman irresistable........I barely made it out of the room before I collapsed in laughter. I DID later compose myself to go back into her room and gently explain that, just maybe, her boyfriend's parents might not be ready for 'hotness' in their son's girlfriend......

"Hot" can mean pretty silly, too. I am reminded of one of my daughters who was planning to be introduced to her boyfriend's parents one evening. She had outlined her eyes in thick black eyeliner (quite the contrast for the pale, freckled redhead) and was practicing what I can only describe as a squint in the mirror. She told me this was 'hot' and showed me a magazine article with something about a 'smouldering pout' that was supposed to make a woman irresistable........I barely made it out of the room before I collapsed in laughter. I DID later compose myself to go back into her room and gently explain that, just maybe, her boyfriend's parents might not be ready for 'hotness' in their son's girlfriend......

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank goodness you caught her before she got out the door! :D

From the article:

It is ironic that 40 years of women’s liberation has succeeded only in turning women into a commodity. Something to be used up and thrown out.

I think one could make the argument that it is the reaction to the aims of "women's liberation" that has turned women into a commodity, rather than the equal rights movement itself.

I agree with this.

As the mother of sons, I hope to be teaching my boys how to treat women. Period.

He should be no less a gentleman whether she's in a cleavage bearing top or a turtleneck.

:iagree:The article bothers me as well.

Why should girls strive to get men to "protect and defend" them?

Why should girls portray "beauty and innocence"?

I want my daughter to be respected. And not viewed as the "pretty little naive thing" that needs a man to manage in the world.

And I want my son to respect women - whether they look "hot" or "pretty" or "ugly. I would like him to look beyond these external qualities.

I was actually under the impression that the article meant instead of women flaunting themselves that they take on a less conspicuous demeanor. That I completely agree with. I'm so tired of the little tween girls walking around trying to look "hot" while leaving nothing to the imagination. Quite frankly this embarrasses my little boys. My 8yo told me once that he did not know where to put his eyes so he would not see the girl in front of him with the tiny skirt that was right at his eye level.

Hmm...interesting. I know for me I would rather my girl grow up to be pretty. I was in church a while ago looking at two teens. Same age. One was pretty and the other was trying to look hot. It was such a stark contrast. What was so telling is when they were younger the pretty one was the fiery one and the hot one was the sweet one. It really made me pause to think.

Granted I know and love the hot one to death. But if I had a little girl and I was wanting her to copy the makeup/hair style I would pick pretty.

I have to agree.

I want my daughter to be respected. And not viewed as the "pretty little naive thing" that needs a man to manage in the world.

And I want my son to respect women - whether they look "hot" or "pretty" or "ugly. I would like him to look beyond these external qualities.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Oh thank you!!!!

:iagree: Just respect us. Stop passing judgment based on looks. I'll dress however I please, thanks very much.

And it's the ultimate absurdity that he seemed to think the women's movement was responsible for this supposed trend when he's up there judging women based on their looks.

I do agree that a nice guy is a nice guy, and a truly respectful guy will act like a gentleman in any situation. I do not, however, agree that the "I'll dress however I want and what you do with it is your problem" approach is fair to men. (OR women, for that matter) Many, many men are truly uncomfortable with the visual onslaught of "sexy" that's out there. Many teenage boys just don't know what to do with it at all. Men are visual creatures and I think that as women we should respect the fact that giving visual cues and then expecting men to act like they don't see it is unfair, to say the least. I can't possibly expect to be respected by the whole of society when I don't present myself as being respectable. Young women deserve so much more than that. I would hope that my three girls grow up knowing that a woman's appearance is the first impression she gives the world, and a modest young woman has so much more room to be taken seriously and gain respect and admiration.

:iagree: I also think that men will treat women in the way they've been raised to treat women. Nice guys will treat hot girls just as nicely as pretty girls. Rat b*st*rds will treat the pretty girls the same as they'd treat the hot ones.

I do agree that a nice guy is a nice guy, and a truly respectful guy will act like a gentleman in any situation. I do not, however, agree that the "I'll dress however I want and what you do with it is your problem" approach is fair to men. (OR women, for that matter) Many, many men are truly uncomfortable with the visual onslaught of "sexy" that's out there. Many teenage boys just don't know what to do with it at all. Men are visual creatures and I think that as women we should respect the fact that giving visual cues and then expecting men to act like they don't see it is unfair, to say the least. I can't possibly expect to be respected by the whole of society when I don't present myself as being respectable. Young women deserve so much more than that. I would hope that my three girls grow up knowing that a woman's appearance is the first impression she gives the world, and a modest young woman has so much more room to be taken seriously and gain respect and admiration.

To the bolded: that's hooey. Plain and simple. That kind of attitude is also insulting to men. It implies that women have to dress to protect their delicate sensibilities. Men are not a bunch of beasts incapable of controlling their rutting instincts. This whole "modest movement" mindset has little to do with "respecting men" and everything to do with burdening and shaming women.

Women are responsible for their actions and men are, too.

Edited by Audrey

Men are visual creatures and I think that as women we should respect the fact that giving visual cues and then expecting men to act like they don't see it is unfair, to say the least.

I don't think they need to pretend that they don't see women's bodies (however they may be dressed.) I think they need to learn not to act like hormonal idiots about it. They can think whatever they'd like about the women they see, but they don't have to act on it just because a woman is dressed provocatively. Everyone needs to have some self-control, right?

Women are visual, too, and that doesn't mean that we should go up and proposition every nice looking guy we see, who happens to be in great shape. (Well, unless he's wearing a kilt or something. I think the rules pretty much fly out the window when kilts are involved. :D)

I had a very interesting convo with a law school student this weekend. She said one of her favorite things to do on a Saturday morning at her uni was to wake up early, make some coffee and sit outside at about 8 to see who was making the "walk of shame". Now, this girl is a flaming pinko liberal. :001_smile: I say that with love, she's my bffs dd. But she fully argued that the way you dress is is the way you'll be treated. And I argued that men should have self control. She completely rejected that.

Sorry sp.mistakes. not on pc.

I thought it was a provocative article.

Eta. She said the walk of shame girls were in teeny skirts, heels and borrowed t shirts with raccoon eyes.

Edited by justamouse

I think people should dress appropriately for their environment. The problem is that not everyone uses the same definition of 'appropriately'.

More importantly, people should treat others other respect, regardless of what they are wearing or what they look like. I seriously don't get how this part of the equation always gets overshadowed by what the woman is wearing.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a daughter I would hope that she would present herself in a particular way. But as a mother of sons, I would be horrified if they behaved in a non-gentlemanly way to any one, no matter how they were dressed. But I also haven't raised them in a way that they are hyper-focused on how other people are dressed. It isn't polite to stare at people whether they're dressed in a baggy sweatshirt or a bikini top. It isn't nice to purposely watch people's walk of shame either.

I was actually under the impression that the article meant instead of women flaunting themselves that they take on a less conspicuous demeanor. That I completely agree with. I'm so tired of the little tween girls walking around trying to look "hot" while leaving nothing to the imagination. Quite frankly this embarrasses my little boys. My 8yo told me once that he did not know where to put his eyes so he would not see the girl in front of him with the tiny skirt that was right at his eye level.

:iagree::iagree:

That's how I took the article as well. I think the author was mourning the loss of dignity.

:iagree:

Despite what we all want, people are going to react to how you look, dress, and how you present yourself. To deny this is true is ridiculous.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:I was somewhat offended.

For example:

"First and foremost, many beautiful women, whatever the state of their souls, still wished to project a public innocence and virtue"

So lie? I mean that's what I get from it. As long as you PROJECT in the PUBLIC then that's all that matters?

As for this:

By nature, generally when men see this combination in women it brings out their better qualities, their best in fact. That special combination of beauty and innocence, the pretty inspires men to protect and defend it.

So be "pretty" to catch a man to take care of you.... sorry not me and not my daughters.

To the bolded: that's hooey. Plain and simple. That kind of attitude is also insulting to men. It implies that women have to dress to protect their delicate sensibilities. Men are not a bunch of beasts incapable of controlling their rutting instincts. This whole "modest movement" mindset has little to do with "respecting men" and everything to do with burdening and shaming women.

Women are responsible for their actions and men are, too.

Note the time and date. I am finally disagreeing with Audrey!

No, I do not think men are poor helpless creatures. A good guy will not drool over a random boob, because he is a nice guy. However, if a woman dresses in a way that flaunts her, ahem, assets, she may just be given a little less respect. Now, I am certainly not of the "She asked for it" camp. I just think people treat you the way you teach them to treat you. Seriously, if I dress cheaply, I would expect people to treat me cheaply. Yep, I know it isn't a popular viewpoint, but that is just the way things work. I can be hot without being cheap or losing respect.

That's how I took the article as well. I think the author was mourning the loss of dignity.

:iagree: Look, women just have to accept that there is a double standard out there. If we want to change things, we must do so with dignity, not with cheapness.

I am sort of pondering this from the perspective of being a woman who looks at men. I have to admit I would take a man who dressed 'sexy' and tried to look 'hot' less seriously than a man who dressed more modestly. I guess I just don't think I could think of anyone who felt it necessary to flaunt their sexuality in my face as being anything separate from that sexuality. I wouldn't think about whether or not that person was intelligent, or funny, or whatever. It is sort of like they categorized or limited themselves in my mind. But maybe that is just me.

apart from the idea that there is something undignified about having to pander to male preferences (whether by feigning innocence in the "pretty" model or displaying one's assets to be "hot"), why is being confidently s@xual equated with a loss of dignity?

Put aside the embarrassingly exaggerated examples on either extreme (pretending to be dumb, looking like a hooker) why is it a loss of dignity to drop the "innocent" act?

Perhaps some of you saw this.

I just found it today.

I hope my girls grow up to be pretty.

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-archbold/the-death-of-pretty

I agreed with the author that I liked the way Olivia Newton John looked and acted at the begining of Greece far better than at the end of the movie. When I was a teenager, it also bothered me that Olivia Newton John was far too old to play a teenager when she starred in the movie Greece. Maybe aging stars and other role models for young women turn to being "hot" because they are no longer young.

Innocence has a youthful quality. Our culture values youth and beauty, so perhaps innocence will stage a successful come-back some day.

For example:

"First and foremost, many beautiful women, whatever the state of their souls, still wished to project a public innocence and virtue"

So lie? I mean that's what I get from it. As long as you PROJECT in the PUBLIC then that's all that matters?

As for this:

By nature, generally when men see this combination in women it brings out their better qualities, their best in fact. That special combination of beauty and innocence, the pretty inspires men to protect and defend it.

So be "pretty" to catch a man to take care of you.... sorry not me and not my daughters.

Agreed.

I thought the whole "at least celebreties of the past tried to look innocent in public" argument was ridiculous. Anyone who has read anything about the lives of film stars of the 50s should know what a sham it all was and what a toll that kind of public charade took on lives.

Here's the thing: I don't want my daughter to expend lots of time and energy trying to look "hot." I do worry about a generation of women who think that dressing themselves like some guy's fantasy chick is somehow empowering them. But the idea that women have some sort of responsibility to keep themselves "pretty" so as not to upset the apple cart or tempt men who are too helpless and immature to manage their own feelings and urges is really disgusting to me.

I remember my grandmother once saying she hoped I'd find a nice man to take care of me. Even in my teens, I thought that was ridiculous. I told her I hoped I would find a great guy and that we would take care of each other.

For the advent garde among us, I present Katie Makkai performing: "Pretty".

3 minutes of hardcore poetry slam on what it mean to be seen as pretty, achieving pretty, and an unknown future of what is pretty for her yet unborn daughter...

"No child of mine will be contained in five letters."

"You will never be merely pretty."

I love it. Thanks so much for sharing this. I can't wait to show it to my daughter.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. It's biological. Whatever you call it, adolescent and adult humans have always sought and will always seek to attract attention from desirable potential mates. We can't help that any more than other animals can. We're programmed that way. Much of the attraction is at the subliminal and lower levels, but mating displays are certainly a factor.

It's a biological imperative that pubescent males and females begin looking for mates. Obviously, we can put constraints on them, but in the end nature wins.

You really think that? There aren't a lot of "pretty" women in men's porn magazines KWIM.

Men are different from women. Period. They are much more easily visually stimulated. Millions of teenage boys will tell you stories of having to "position their books in front of them" in highschool when a girl dressed "hot" walks past.

It is correct that a true gentleman will treat every lady well - but that doesn't mean they aren't affected on the inside by what women wear. I'm not saying women should all wear a hijab - but wearing tight, low pants with sexy stamped on the butt is not going to attract the "nice" guys to you.

I'm so tired of 5 year olds who tell me they look "hot". I would so much rather they asked me if they looked "pretty". I was in Old Navy once and a mum with her 2yo daughter and friend held up this ultrashort miniskirt for her DD and said "Oh look this will make her look so hot just like J-LO(Jennifer Lopez).:001_huh: I wanted to throw up right there and grab that beautiful baby and run out of the store with her. I have my suspicions that men are not looking at J-Lo and thinking "Oh what a nice girl";)

I have to disagree with you here. Before I had my wake up call back to my spiritual life, I would dress "hot". Why did I dress hot? Because I wanted to have certain attention from men. Regardless of the fact that I'm married, I wanted to be noticed by other men. I wanted to be talked about as "hot", "sexy", "fine" etc. I didn't value myself dressing that way. I wanted my body looked at, not my "true" beauty. Any woman that says she's dressing "hot" for herself, is fooling herself. Of course dressing that way is going to make men not act on their better instincts. They are going to view that woman as a sex object. Now, if that same woman wears a lovely skirt and blouse, hair done nicely with some light makeup she will be regarded with respect.

Dressing modestly as I do now gets me much better "attention". I'm regarded as special, a commodity that is slowing going extinct. My DH is actually MUCH happier with the way I dress now, even though he should have been "proud" to have a "hot" wife by today's standards. MHO

For example:

As for this:

I don't believe he was speaking to the fact to "catch a men" but that chivalry is not indeed dead if brought about with feminine, modest appearance. No marriage catching was talked about.

Men are different from women. Period. They are much more easily visually stimulated. Millions of teenage boys will tell you stories of having to "position their books in front of them" in highschool when a girl dressed "hot" walks past.

Oh come one. Millions of teenage boys have had to do that when a breeze blew the right way. If you think it takes the way a girl dresses to cause that response, you know very, very little about boys.

I think the terms pretty and hot are far too vague to be discussed in a meaningful manner.

However, I will point out that there is one thing that I have a problem with. Someone else mentioned having a problem with Olivia Newton John playing a high school student. I agree with that. Stockard Channing was 33 for crying out loud. Most of the people from Grease were in their late twenties and early thirties. It is ridiculous to have people that age playing high school students. But, from 90210 to Glee, it is the norm in Hollywood.

This means kids have a misplaced idea of how high school kids look and act. People in their thirties do not have the innocence of youth and it would be silly to try and feign. But, it is equally silly and even dangerous for a high school student to act worldly when they are not. Remember American Beauty? I wish it was easier to be a teenager in our society. Even Humbert Humbert prefers the innocent looking girls. Looking innocent does not protect you.

I think the terms pretty and hot are far too vague to be discussed in a meaningful manner.

However, I will point out that there is one thing that I have a problem with. Someone else mentioned having a problem with Olivia Newton John playing a high school student. I agree with that. Stockard Channing was 33 for crying out loud. Most of the people from Grease were in their late twenties and early thirties. It is ridiculous to have people that age playing high school students. But, from 90210 to Glee, it is the norm in Hollywood.

This means kids have a misplaced idea of how high school kids look and act. People in their thirties do not have the innocence of youth and it would be silly to try and feign. But, it is equally silly and even dangerous for a high school student to act worldly when they are not. Remember American Beauty? I wish it was easier to be a teenager in our society. Even Humbert Humbert prefers the innocent looking girls. Looking innocent does not protect you.

Ah...Mrs. Mungo, I think you have hit on something there!

It is ridiculous to have people that age playing high school students. But, from 90210 to Glee, it is the norm in Hollywood.

This means kids have a misplaced idea of how high school kids look and act.

I absolutely agree with this. It's something my 17-year-old daughter bemoans frequently. How is a real-looking teenager supposed to live up to the image we have of what teens are supposed to look like based on films and TV? And not even just looks. Think of "Glee," for example. Those characters are supposed to be teens, and yet they have adult-level talent and skill. It's enough to make any real teen feel extremely inadequate.

Think I just peed myself! Adorable! :lol: