Menu

"Big" gifts for older teen girls?

For those who are curious, update in post #80.

My husband and I were just going over our Christmas lists and checking off what we've already bought and made, and I noticed that we have no "wow" gift for our daughter.

She turned 17 today. She's done with school. She's a theatre nerd working toward a career onstage. She loves the internet and theatre and our dog and that's pretty much it. She has few local friends after being away at school for four years. We have far too much stuff in our house in general and her room, specifically. She plans to move out in a little over a year and doesn't need any more stuff to take with her. She doesn't drive yet and has no particular interest in learning to do so. She enjoys some crafts and loves to read, but likes to buy her own supplies for both of those hobbies. She likes putting together interesting outfits, but, again, is picky and wants to buy her own clothing.

We already have season tickets for the Broadway touring shows that come to town. We also have season tickets for the local Shakespeare theatre.

Just today, as a birthday gift, she got back her laptop, which needed a new hard drive and battery.

She already has a cell phone and iPod.

She doesn't need classes or lessons of any kind.

We have some nice gifts for her, but nothing that will make her eyes sparkle.

The only thing we can think of that she would really love is a trip to NYC to see a show, but that's not in the budget at the moment. (It would also be a significantly bigger gift than her brother is getting and, therefore, not an option even if we could afford it.)

So, thoughts? Suggestions? What "big" gifts are your older teen girls getting this year?

Edited by Jenny in Florida

A Kindle?

Was the best ever gift for my book crazy DD.

I should have mentioned that. None of us like the idea of e-readers. We're the kind of folks that consider "decorating" primarily a question of how to fit in as many bookcases as possible. When we moved into this house, my daughter's one goal was to get bookshelves tall enough to justify a ladder (like in the Beast's library). Real, physical books are a big thing here.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Your dd and mine sound like they have the same interests. Dd is a total theater nerd and does not want an e-reader. In fact, a family member asked if she wanted a kindle for Christmas and she said no thank you. Family member got her a B&N gift card instead.:001_smile:

My only thought is to get a couple of theater posters and have them framed for her room. Dd has one (Rent) and would love to have more.

My older daughter who has your daughter's interests just bought herself an ipad. It has the best video and video editing program. She's filmed dozens of things, edited with music etc. and sent them to friends or uploaded them to youtube. Very creative experience that she wasn't something she could do well with her laptop. With the extra warranty I think it came to $500, which would be more than we could spend on one gift, but it has the wow factor if you can swing it.

I know you said she doesn't need classes, but you might look at that, again. I don't know her abilities, but most of the people near us, especially the one working in an equity theatre, take master classes. It could be a tap brush -up or a voice audition prep, or even a new dialect.

Has she had recent headshots? Those would be nice.

I don't know??? Sorry! I had tons of trouble with my 11 yo ds that only likes theatre and choir. He's getting a portable tap floor and Billy Elliot tickets.

Our wow gift for my 15 year old wannabe writer/artist daughter is a stunning, ridiculously expensive, large, Harry Potter/LOTR-worthy leather portfolio filled with gorgeous handmade paper. I gulped hard to buy it, but she will love it SO MUCH. And even that was only $150, so our idea of a 'big' present is WAAAAY less than yours.

A couple of ideas.

Major new wardrobe gift cards to her favorite stores?

A set of free weights and some exercise videos or sessions with a personal trainer for strength training--seems like actors these days often do this.

Major personal stage make up collection?

Something to use now but take with her to her new dwelling, like a good set of pots (All Clad!) or some dishes with a theater theme, or a stunning desk and chair?

At that age, we often got our children a nice luggage set, or a backpack like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/809154/rei-tech-tour-60-travel-pack-womens

I can't tell you how many times a backpack like that has come in handy for their travels.

Other than that, at this age we've also invested in a nice article of clothing that will last, such as a real quality coat or jacket, etc.

What "big" gifts are your older teen girls getting this year?

Our daughters are 14 and nearly 16, and we were pretty stumped, too... until I learned about "Extraordinary Experiences: Trainer for a Day" at Shedd Aquarium. They received their gift last Friday and their eyes, as you put it, are still sparkling.

(Photos from their day can be found here.)

We're hoping to do something somewhat similar for my oldest daughter's birthday in January: We'd like to arrange a private behind-the-scenes tour at one of her favorite museums. We've had some neat utterly doable responses. Now we need to decide which museum.

I'd also like to second what another poster mentioned. While your daughter may not *need* classes, she may certainly benefit from vocal training or other programs related to theater.

At that age, we often got our children a nice luggage set, or a backpack like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/809154/rei-tech-tour-60-travel-pack-womens

I can't tell you how many times a backpack like that has come in handy for their travels.

Other than that, at this age we've also invested in a nice article of clothing that will last, such as a real quality coat or jacket, etc.

:iagree: A good set of luggage is a good gift for this age. Mother got me a good size suit case and an overnight bag. I had it up until a few years ago when it fell apart.

Our daughters are 14 and nearly 16, and we were pretty stumped, too... until I learned about "Extraordinary Experiences: Trainer for a Day" at Shedd Aquarium. They received their gift last Friday and their eyes, as you put it, are still sparkling.

(Photos from their day can be found here.)

We're hoping to do something somewhat similar for my oldest daughter's birthday in January: We'd like to arrange a private behind-the-scenes tour at one of her favorite museums. We've had some neat utterly doable responses. Now we need to decide which museum.

I'd also like to second what another poster mentioned. While your daughter may not *need* classes, she may certainly benefit from vocal training or other programs related to theater.

Oh my goodness! I want this!!! What an amazing experience. I'm definitely going to look into this kind of thing in the future for my kiddos.

Thanks, everyone. She already has many of the things suggested (video-capable camera, for example). And we got her luggage a year or two ago before she went to London. She has made it clear she doesn't want more "stuff" for her room, and her walls are already covered with signed posters and memorabilia from Broadway shows she's seen over the last few years.

When I said she doesn't need classes, it was partly because she already has her degree in theatre and partly because she already takes voice lessons and participates in master classes as they become available. (She's got another one scheduled for February.)

Anything like clothing or jewelry would be something she wants to pick out herself. Dressing, for her, is a creative, artistic outlet and something she enjoys doing for herself. My husband isn't a fan of gift cards. So, money or cards to go shopping with later aren't an option.

I truly do appreciate the suggestions, though, and they keep me thinking. I'd love to hear more!

This is a bit off the wall, but my dd is getting a hope chest, made by my dh. Each of the girls has one and when ds is old enough I want him to MAKE the one for his future wife. I also make quilts for graduations--the blocks are pieced for dd's, but not pieced into the quilt top yet. Another big hit here as been to start to accumulate dishes for each of them. Oldest picked Pfaltgraff's Naturewood pattern. Next one already had grandma's Pfaltzgraff's Tea Rose, so we've bought her some Le Creuset. My next is getting different colors of Fiesta ware. I pick up nice kitchen gadgets throughout the year.

What a beautiful idea! My mother passed away when I was 4yo, but I got her beautiful cedar hope chest. I hope to refinish it and give it to my dd. The dishes idea is a good one. Fiestaware never seems to go out of style.

I should have mentioned that. None of us like the idea of e-readers. We're the kind of folks that consider "decorating" primarily a question of how to fit in as many bookcases as possible. When we moved into this house, my daughter's one goal was to get bookshelves tall enough to justify a ladder (like in the Beast's library). Real, physical books are a big thing here.

We had never thought we'd go for an e-reader because we, too, are book fans. We have both: floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in several rooms, AND her Kindle. She did a lot of soul searching because she loves real books so much, but for traveling the e-reader is fabulous. In the past, she always took a backpack full of books along, now she can travel with a purse.

We are still buying regular books. But the Kindle fills a niche. Just yesterday I was trying to order some books for my niece for a specific subject, and several were unavailable - except in electronic form.

When I said she doesn't need classes, it was partly because she already has her degree in theatre and partly because she already takes voice lessons and participates in master classes as they become available. (She's got another one scheduled for February.)

I truly do appreciate the suggestions, though, and they keep me thinking. I'd love to hear more!

What about a course for something that is completely unrelated to her major and that she did not even know she might like? Rockclimbing? Something adventurous?

what about a trip to the day spa?

My 11yo loves it when I take her with me to get a pedicure and she is so excited about her 13th birthday when I will take her for a full day at the spa. I have a feeling that this will become her standard "big' present in a couple of years.

Most day spas have packages and you can a facial, massage, mani, pedi, cut and style decently priced.

What ever you decide on, please let us know!

This is a bit off the wall, but my dd is getting a hope chest, made by my dh. Each of the girls has one and when ds is old enough I want him to MAKE the one for his future wife. I also make quilts for graduations--the blocks are pieced for dd's, but not pieced into the quilt top yet. Another big hit here as been to start to accumulate dishes for each of them. Oldest picked Pfaltgraff's Naturewood pattern. Next one already had grandma's Pfaltzgraff's Tea Rose, so we've bought her some Le Creuset. My next is getting different colors of Fiesta ware. I pick up nice kitchen gadgets throughout the year.

That is a great idea!

I married at 19 -- too young to think about what I wanted. So, I let my MIL choose the store for my dishes (KMart -- Pyrex) and let hubby buy ugly used furniture. BIG mistake. ;) Every year, my MIL gave me more Pyrex dishes or silverware (kind she liked) for Christmas. Aaaaauuugh.

25 years later and after my MIL dies, I finally feel free to dump what she got me (I got rid of the hubby furniture years ago) for dishes and silverware. One regret I have is not getting quality antiques (from Grandma) when I had the chance.

Edited by tex-mex

What about a course for something that is completely unrelated to her major and that she did not even know she might like? Rockclimbing? Something adventurous?

:iagree: Or a spa day -- mani/pedi, facial, massage or haircut? Get her a gift certificate to one or do a mother daughter spa day with lunch. Then go shopping for books.

You all are just going to have to trust me that she doesn't want an e-reader. She's actually kind of scornful about them.

She's not a spa kind of person, either, sadly. (That would make things easier!) And we're ethical vegans, meaning anything leather or any make-up or personal care-type item that isn't guaranteed to be cruelty free isn't appropriate.

Personally, I love the hope chest idea. But she's not convinced she'll get married. In her fantasies and her five- and ten-year plans, she's very focused on her career. They are beautiful, though.

Every time I start one of these threads, it at least helps me feel better about being stumped!

How about a set (you'd make the set) of theatre dvds? You could pick out some Shakespeare, some musicals, some regular theatre stuff--

Or, how about a script from her favorite play? I don't know where you'd find them--my ds has a script from The Godfather with commentary. It's pretty neat.

This is a bit off the wall, but my dd is getting a hope chest, made by my dh.

What a lovely idea! My dd19 started a hope chest when I explained what it was. But she just uses the bottom two drawers of a dresser in her closet (long closet under the stairs). I love the idea of an actual chest but I figured a nice wooden one was expensive.

Personally, I love the hope chest idea. But she's not convinced she'll get married. In her fantasies and her five- and ten-year plans, she's very focused on her career. They are beautiful, though.

FWIW, I didn't focus on the topic of marriage when my dd started her hope chest last year. We discussed how it was a hope for the future as she moved out of her family home and stepped into an independent role.

How about a great purse,boots, or watch:

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/women/handbag_collections/maddox/maddox_small_workbag-zb5032p.html?parent_category_rn=316085&departmentCategoryId=30000&N=0&Ns=p_wsc3%7C0%7C%7Cp_weight%7C0&pn=c&cm_vc=316095&rec=7&imagePath=ZB5032996

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/women/shoes/boots_booties/felicia_mid_heel_boot-ffw4123p.html?parent_category_rn=236052&departmentCategoryId=30000&N=0&Ns=p_wsc6%7C0%7C%7Cp_weight%7C0&pn=c&cm_vc=236055&rec=1&imagePath=FFW4123020

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/women/watches.html?parent_category_rn=30000&departmentCategoryId=30000&Ns=p_wsc1%7C0%7C%7Cp_weight%7C0&N=0&page=viewall

Something classic and a little pricey might not interfere with her wanting to put her own creative outfits together.

Does she wear makeup? This kit from Sephora looks like a lot of fun: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P294706&categoryId=S11505&shouldPaginate=true

ETA: Wellingtons: http://www.madewell.com/madewell_category/SHOESBOOTS/boots/PRDOVR~19287/19287.jsp

I like the watch, or other quality clothing item idea. Fossil has beautiful products. In fact, we got one of our daughters a Fossil watch this year as her main gift, and our son a Fossil wool sweater.

Or, how about a quilt made from cloths that hold memories for her. This is what one of our daughters has asked for, although we probably won't do it until next year. I have a friend in town who makes quilts, and has offered to make one for me after I've gathered various fabrics from my daughter. Material from special clothes that she's outgrown, childhood blankets that are now tattered, fabric that she has collected on her travels/studying abroad, etc. (Of course the quilt wouldn't be ready in time for Christmas, but you could give her a certificate for one, or as a gift down the road...)

My husband and I were just going over our Christmas lists and checking off what we've already bought and made, and I noticed that we have no "wow" gift for our daughter.

She turned 17 today. She's done with school. She's a theatre nerd working toward a career onstage. She loves the internet and theatre and our dog and that's pretty much it. She has few local friends after being away at school for four years. We have far too much stuff in our house in general and her room, specifically. She plans to move out in a little over a year and doesn't need any more stuff to take with her. She doesn't drive yet and has no particular interest in learning to do so. She enjoys some crafts and loves to read, but likes to buy her own supplies for both of those hobbies. She likes putting together interesting outfits, but, again, is picky and wants to buy her own clothing.

We already have season tickets for the Broadway touring shows that come to town. We also have season tickets for the local Shakespeare theatre.

Just today, as a birthday gift, she got back her laptop, which needed a new hard drive and battery.

She already has a cell phone and iPod.

She doesn't need classes or lessons of any kind.

We have some nice gifts for her, but nothing that will make her eyes sparkle.

The only thing we can think of that she would really love is a trip to NYC to see a show, but that's not in the budget at the moment. (It would also be a significantly bigger gift than her brother is getting and, therefore, not an option even if we could afford it.)

So, thoughts? Suggestions? What "big" gifts are your older teen girls getting this year?

I have heard this is a well-loved tv series that suits your daughters interests...

http://www.amazon.com/Slings-Arrows-Collection-Paul-Gross/dp/B000XUF6BU

Cafe Press has a lot of theatre related items that I like and as a 17 year old actor, I think I would have liked. You could do a gift basket with some of these items. There are t-shirts, ipod cases, etc. I know you have Broadway and Shakespeare subscriptions locally but what about community theatre tickets. Another idea might be to skip the stuff altogether and give a donation to a local theatre/arts project that means something to your daughter.

http://www.cafepress.com/+theatre+t-shirts

Along the lines of a hope chest -- one thing that I used for years that my parents got me at about that age was a tool box fully stocked with tools. It was very helpful for messing around with building sets at first (also a theater geek), then for repairs around the apartment, etc. Not typical, but I was very popular with my neighbors as a young adult because none of the people around me had a hammer or screwdrivers (especially my precision screwdriver set would get borrowed/used a lot). Oh, and the little hacksaw was very useful.

Has she auditioned for American Idol? Pop music may not be her focus' date=' but it could be fun to audition and maybe perform anyway. You can make it a family trip to Hollywood Studios.[/quote']

We're talking about the attraction at WDW, right?

The last time I checked, you had to be 18 to participate. [Edit: Oops, I was wrong about that. I think it was 18 originally, but it looks like the current age requirement is 14.) Honestly, though, my husband works for The Mouse, meaning we have passes to go to the parks pretty much any time. So, a WDW trip isn't terrible special for her anymore.

(Don't get me wrong: She still enjoys and appreciates WDW. In fact, she's going to the Magic Kingdom with a friend tomorrow, and they are very excited about wearing their matching ears and running around like little kids. It's just not gift-worthy, since the kids know we get those free admissions and they've been going regularly since they were tiny.)

Does she like music? I love having this Sonos sound system, it's a lot of fun with Rhapsody: http://www.sonos.com/

If she likes music maybe she'd enjoy a record player and collecting vinyl. Collecting and appreciating music is similar to collecting books.

How's her bedding? Anthropologie has great bedspreads. They're artsy and cozy: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=093718&catId=HOME-BEDDING&pushId=HOME-BEDDING&popId=HOME&navCount=90&color=040&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&isSubcategory=true&subCategoryId=HOME-BEDDING&templateType=hybrid

We're talking about the attraction at WDW, right?

The last time I checked, you had to be 18 to participate. [Edit: Oops, I was wrong about that. I think it was 18 originally, but it looks like the current age requirement is 14.) Honestly, though, my husband works for The Mouse, meaning we have passes to go to the parks pretty much any time. So, a WDW trip isn't terrible special for her anymore.

(Don't get me wrong: She still enjoys and appreciates WDW. In fact, she's going to the Magic Kingdom with a friend tomorrow, and they are very excited about wearing their matching ears and running around like little kids. It's just not gift-worthy, since the kids know we get those free admissions and they've been going regularly since they were tiny.)

Definitely not appropriate as a Christmas gift then. But you might want to let her know that you only have to be 14 to audition. Her friends might have fun doing it as well. They should get there fairly early in the day as they stop auditions when they've filled their spots for the day. :)

My parents gave me a hope chest at 17. It wasn't for getting married, but for moving out on my own. For the next 1.5 years my parents, family members (and me personally) filled it with things I would need to live on my own. A full set of dishes, a full set of towels, a bedroom set, appliances, etc. Twenty years later, the hope chest is still in our library, now filled with the kids' dress-up clothes. It does make me smile remembering the year I slowly filled it and finally moved into my own apartment. :)

Check your local Groupons for things you might not even know about. Maybe check around for sewing classes. Something that is an experience instead of a tangible item. Maybe there is something she would love to do with you? Do you have a fancy tearoom or anything like that in your area?

She's kind of fussy about "experiences." We used to be able to do that sort of thing when she was younger, but she's pretty focused on just a few things she enjoys now and hates being put on the spot and made to feel like she "should" enjoy something just because someone did it for her. (This is a feeling to which I relate strongly!)

No fancy tearooms, but there's also the vegan thing that makes restaurants of any kind a little challenging.

For her birthday, she just got tickets to see Mandy Patinkin and Patti Lupone when they come to Sarasota in February. And that is part of what makes Christmas a challenge, that her birthday is right before.

Are you opposed in principle to giving her good ol' fashioned "plain" money? It may not be up to everyone's taste, but as somebody who is not in principle opposed to that when older children are concerned, I thought I would bring it up.

Next thing you might consider is a gift card - for clothes, beauty treatments, books, whatever you think she might find useful, but still get to choose things to her own taste.

:iagree:

Maybe even a charm bracelet with charms that represent who she is. I have one and while I don't wear it often, I love adding charms for new milestones and events in my life.

Maybe it's time for a piece of 'real' jewelry, given the price range that I think you're talking about. How about a ring with a 'good' stone? (Not necessarily a big one, but a good one). That's the kind of thing that lasts forever.

Marriage isn't the only reason to have a hope chest. One hopes to eventually save enough for one's own apartment, yes? !! Anyone moving out needs sheets, towels and cutlery. And a dehydrator, a vitamix and a grain mill (they wish, lol.)

Does she like Dr Who?

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Are you opposed in principle to giving her good ol' fashioned "plain" money? It may not be up to everyone's taste, but as somebody who is not in principle opposed to that when older children are concerned, I thought I would bring it up.

Next thing you might consider is a gift card - for clothes, beauty treatments, books, whatever you think she might find useful, but still get to choose things to her own taste.

I'm not opposed, but my husband hates giving (or receiving) gift cards or money.

I've talked him into giving her money once or twice over the last several years, but it's a conflict every time.