Menu

If you had a choice of kitchen countertops, what would you choose?

Countertop choices  

1. 1. Countertop choices

• Granite
    • Granite tile
    • Formica that looks like granite or similar
    • Silestone or glass
    • Corion or man made sturdy substance
    • Ceramic tile
    • Other (please share!)

I chose granite (but not most of the granites I have seen -- I'm picky!), but if the color scheme supported it, I would like soapstone. If there were a lot of busy elements (backsplash, floors, etc), I might prefer a tasteful uniform solid surface.

I'm a very visual person with an artistic flare. I did not see anything I loved the look of other than granite. I'm so glad we went with it. We are complimented on ours all the time. I love to just walk around and see it at different angles.

I'm told it can chip (didn't know this before we bought it) so we are careful with our cast iron.

Granite is regularly used in kitchens. I've been in homes where it's been there for decades and still looks brand new. I am very happy with our choice.

I've had formica, Corian, and now granite countertops, and I'd choose Corian in a heartbeat. Granite shows hard water stains much more than I realized, and needs to be re-sealed periodically (otherwise it looks very dull). The Corian counters we had in our last house were maintenance free, and we lived in that house 10 years (and previous owner, who built the house, lived there 2 years). We've lived in our current home 2 years and the granite counters were installed approx. 7 years ago, and they need re-sealing (or something like that).

I'll be watching this thread. The house we're in the process of buying has corian counters. I hadn't even heard of them before we looked at this house. We've lived in military housing for most of the last 15 years. I will say the counters in our new house do look pretty. Maybe I'll actually get to cook in that kitchen next weekend. I'm not holding my breath. lol

I've had formica, Corian, and now granite countertops, and I'd choose Corian in a heartbeat. Granite shows hard water stains much more than I realized, and needs to be re-sealed periodically (otherwise it looks very dull). The Corian counters we had in our last house were maintenance free, and we lived in that house 10 years (and previous owner, who built the house, lived there 2 years). We've lived in our current home 2 years and the granite counters were installed approx. 7 years ago, and they need re-sealing (or something like that).

our granite needs to be resealed every 15 years. Also, a good granite cleaner really makes the granite shine like new.

I am careful to wipe down water after each time I use the sink. My last sink had awful hard water stains which were already visible when we bought our home. I don't want that to happen to my granite.

I'm pretty sure this house has granite. It's nicer looking than the laminate I'm used to having but I don't like it. You can't tell if it is clean. It hides dirt and food very well, which I don't think is a good thing on a food prep surface. I find myself running my hands over the counter to feel if it is clean, which doesn't exactly help it stay clean.

So, not granite.

I'm pretty sure this house has granite. It's nicer looking than the laminate I'm used to having but I don't like it. You can't tell if it is clean. It hides dirt and food very well, which I don't think is a good thing on a food prep surface. I find myself running my hands over the counter to feel if it is clean, which doesn't exactly help it stay clean.

So, not granite.

Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts but I like white countertops. White quartz is what I want. I can't stand not being able to instantly tell if a countertop is clean. I shouldn't have to run my hand across it to tell. I have a friend with dark granite and she says she likes it but when I'm there, I see her scanning it and running her hand and then picking stuff off. Ack. No thanks.

Quartz all the way!!!

We just built a house and we chose Cambria (quartz) for our countertops. I love it. It looks great. Cambria just had some new colors come out in the last 6 months or so - the color we chose is called Canterbury and has copper flecks in it and is gorgeous.

Edited by georgialee

Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts but I like white countertops. White quartz is what I want. I can't stand not being able to instantly tell if a countertop is clean. I shouldn't have to run my hand across it to tell. I have a friend with dark granite and she says she likes it but when I'm there, I see her scanning it and running her hand and then picking stuff off. Ack. No thanks.

this surprises me. My dark granite shows E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. I clean it all the time. My off white laminate counters (HATED them!) didn't show as much as my dark granite.

:confused:

That sounds really pretty

Quartz all the way!!!

We just built a house and since we chose Cambria (quartz) for our countertops. I love it. It looks great. Cambria just had some new colors come out in the last 6 months or so - the color we chose is called Canterbury and has copper flecks in it and is gorgeous.

I voted other. I really want soapstone. It's a little bit higher maintenance if you want to oil it, but I would totally take the trade. It's gorgeous and nonporous, and if you scratch it, the scratches either weather naturally or you can sand them out. Oh, and you can stick hot pots directly onto it.

I think it really depends on the kitchen. My house is a 1950 post-war home, so I would do something in keeping with that. Possibly a laminate or butcherblock. If it were a fancier house, marble. But granite and man made products wouldn't look right.

:iagree: My house is from the 1800's and I have *gasp* white formica with a cherry wood edge, and a butcher block peninsula. I was thinking of something granite-y, as they were so in fashion, but I have a very colorful Portuguese tile backslpash, and the white looks so clean.

I grew up with laminate and don't think I could put a hot pot on nor chop directly on a countertop even if I tried. I've been trained. :tongue_smilie:

We just had granite put in this past year, but later I heard granite may release radon. If I had known that before, I might have chosen something else. Has anyone heard this?

I have 3 yr old Corian in my kitchen. We dind't do a ton of research and I probably would not have it in my kitchen had we done so.

It's lovely, but it's plastic. I am wary of my crockpot, so I put it on the stove. We had install problems, but I hear that's rare. :glare:

I love the way it looks until I get close to it. It's horribly scratched. Everything scratches it. No, you don't notice it until you get up close to it.

The installers put a major knick in it and you can still see where they "polished" it out with a circular motion, 3 years later.

I have no clue what I would go with if I ever have to make a choice, but I am hoping to die in this house. :tongue_smilie:

I'm looking at countertops, too! We have laminate that is coming up after 13 years and is horribly worn in places. I'm afraid I have scrubbed the color off!

Granite is nice, but it DOES stain. My kitchen is dark - faces the north - so I know I'm looking for light colors, which will show stains. I've heard oils can stain it. Lowe's carries a granite that has a 15 year sealant in it. I *may* go with that.

The man made quartz products are nice and maintenance free. I'd avoid Sliestone because of the antibacterial stuff manufactured into it. There are 2 or 3 other brands.

I'm having a difficult time deciding....

Sandra

The "granite" we chose is an anarthosite (I'm sure that's spelled wrong but it's been several years), from Canada. It's so hard that it does not absorb the regular sealant well, but we will never have to seal it ("blue eyes"). Some of the other granites I looked at I really don't like for us, the ones with "movement." And some that are too uniformly dark can show the crumbs and fingerprints so much more (we live in the land of crumbs here, so this is important).

You all should have seen the look on my mother's face when I removed the turkey at 500 degrees to flip it. I put the roasting pan right on the countertop.

One of my other favorites is Tropic Brown, though it also seems favored by doctor offices and hotels, lol (I feel like I see it everywhere). I don't know how hard that one is. You can actually research levels of "hardness" though I don't recall the technical terms. The rule of thumb is that lighter colored granites are typically less hard/more porous than darker ones, though ultimately it depends on the type of the stone.

oh, be still my heart - I went to find a pic of my granite and found it in a white kitchen (we have natural maple but I'd love white when the kids are older; we had white pre-kids).

There's tons to research on-line about granite and the different types. have fun shopping!

eta, the other one that I'd love to find a way to use is labrador antique. We have some tile of that on a basement counter.

Edited by wapiti

I grew up with laminate and don't think I could put a hot pot on nor chop directly on a countertop even if I tried. I've been trained. :tongue_smilie:

I know I'm in the minority but I love my Formica. I don't want something I have to be super-careful about, and granite seems like it would be that way to me. Mine was also one-sixteenth the price of granite, so I figure I can replace it fifteen times and still come out ahead. Mine Formica pattern isn't designed to look like something else; it's a lovely light blue speckle which looks great in my light wood/white Scandinavian-esque kitchen.

I know I'm in the minority but I love my Formica. I don't want something I have to be super-careful about, and granite seems like it would be that way to me. Mine was also one-sixteenth the price of granite, so I figure I can replace it fifteen times and still come out ahead. Mine Formica pattern isn't designed to look like something else; it's a lovely light blue speckle which looks great in my light wood/white Scandinavian-esque kitchen.

Glad I'm not the only one! :D

I guess it's called quartz...it's better than silestone or at least the old silestone...I opted against granite b/c I do not want to seal anything and if you do not seal it you can get seepage/discoloration...I am too busy to seal stuff...my quartz can be chopped on (although I do try to use a cutting board I had cut from silestone in our last house) and does not ever have to be sealed, it keeps the true color, I've had hot pans on it and not issues..although again I try not to do this, but it's nice to know you can and not have discoloration. Per sq. ft it was more expensive than granite, but if you look really hard and drive a cash bargain you can usually knock of 25% and get it a good deal...

We bought a house 2 years ago that had 10 year old gray Corian. It has the built in sink feauture (white) and I have a super hard time keeping the stains out--I do use bleach but some stains are tough. I've even tried using very fine sand paper. I will say though, that our sink gets HEAVY use. Meals for 8 three times (or more) a day...So maybe you'll have better luck with your white corian sink. :001_smile:

Honestly, the main things I want out of kitchen countertops are functionality and cleanability. If we got to change our kitchen, I would spend the $ on very good appliances and just get some easy to clean (and cheap) formica.