Menu

Where do you put all those throws/blankets?

When I asked about living in a cold house, people mentioned have throws and blankets all over the house. Where do you put them when not in use?

We have some throws and blankets that don't fit a bed, and they are always in the way. We have a couch and a love seat to sit 6 people. Often blankets are left on them, taking up seating space. If not on the couches, they are on the floor under the dog (soaking up dog stink) or badly folded and put somewhere in the living.

It's driving me nuts.

We have a hope chest in our room and we also store extra blankets in the top of bedroom closets. My mom used to buy under the bed storage boxes and store them there.

ETA: I just realized you meant while they need to be out but not being used. Sorry! We put ours on the back of the couch or chair, or we will put them away if it doesn't seem like we'll need them very soon.

What we have:

3 largish baby blankets, all different sizes

2 of those two-layer, tied-together fleece throws

1 wool camping blanket

1 twin-size quilt

1 twin-size thick wool blanket (DH's...it's big, bulky, and scratchy)

4 afghans made by my blind grandmother that are roughly the size of the top of a twin mattress and don't fold well or stay folded

Back of couch, stacked neatly on top of tray table set, on a quilt rack in bedroom, and folded neatly in two closets.

My older dd loves to sleep with about three heavy blankets on her bed each night. I nag her constantly about folding them in the morning. I wish she would just use the bedspread and blanket already on her bed, but she prefers the heavier blankets.

I end up folding the ones in the living room every night and returning them to where they are stored.

At our old house we had a big basket in the living room filled with blankets. Now we just store most of them in the closet in our bedroom and keep just a few folded up on the back on the couch. I also have a pile next to toddler ds's bed, as I give him a different one depending on how warm it is. We make our beds every day so any extra blankets on our beds get straightened out to be used the next night.

My boys keep three or four of them folded at the end of their beds. We also have them on the backs of rocking chairs, office chairs and a small stack of them in the linen closet.

The great thing about fleece throws is that they are so compact. We often go to plays in the park during the summer. Once the sun goes down it gets chilly, and I am able to pack four of them in a regular-sized fabric grocery bag. Just fold them length-wise several times then roll them right up.

When I took the sliding side off of my dd's crib- it's a convertible that turns into a daybed- I turned it so that the bars are horizontal, propped it up against the wall in her room, and use it to hang several of our extra blankets. I had to scold dd several times to stop using it as a ladder, of course. :tongue_smilie:

We have this problem except our very cold living room doesn't have enough seating for our entire family. We have blankets for everyone, pillows for those who have to sit on the floor, and a bean bag. Storing these things used to drive me crazy, but now we just throw them in the space between the couch, loveseat, and walls. It's an unused, out-of-sight corner in perfect proximity to where the items are used. Even my 3yo can throw her stuff into the corner, so I don't have to think about folding blankets all day long.