Menu

Sister Wives

Reading a post on the Dugger Disappointment thread made me think of this....

What do you think of these folks? I don't mean polygamy in general, but these women/man specifically? I've only recently watched a few episodes, but wow. It's oddly mesmerizing. The guy seems like a first-class, narcississtic ahole. The kids don't seem like things are peachy keen with their lives. And if they're so religiously convicted to do this, how come there's never any footage of anything remotely religious? At least I haven't seen any, though admittedly I'm late to the party.

And I think one of the wives is fixin' to bail.

Thoughts?

astrid

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if it works for them it works for them. He's only legally married to one woman, so I don't believe any laws are being broken.

Now personally speaking, I don't get it at all. Not for one second would this appeal to me in any way, shape or form. And although I recoil when people make assumptions about the lives of others when they really have NO idea, I'm about to do just that: I have to believe that these women have self-esteem issues, and that they don't feel they're good enough on their own to have that sort of bond with another human being on their own.

Having said that, I know some of them were raised in the polygamist lifestyle, so maybe that's just what they know. Maybe, contrary to what I stated above, they'd think they weren't good enough if they weren't in polygamist relationships of their own.

I don't know. I could never, ever, in a million years imagine being happy living like that, but if they want to, then so be it. I can't see how it's hurting anyone (and THAT statement, I suppose, will be the one that others may latch onto and say how others are, in fact, being hurt).

And if they're so religiously convicted to do this, how come there's never any footage of anything remotely religious? At least I haven't seen any, though admittedly I'm late to the party.

astrid

I've only watched a couple episodes, and not recently. But I do remember one episode where it showed them all kneeling to pray in a room together.

and.... I probably shouldn't say this, but, I can't imagine one man being able to satisfy that many women unless he has some kinda s@x drive. Or unless they have no s@x drive.

Edited by SeekingSimplicity

Yes, I haven't seen any of the new episodes but last season he told his original wife that the thought of her having another "husband" makes him ill.

So, it's okay for him to have 4 wives, but they can only have him.

Also, saying a nightly prayer when the camera is on you hardly makes you religious. It's the praying and worship that you do when no one but God is watching that counts the most.

What do you think of these folks? I don't mean polygamy in general, but these women/man specifically? I've only recently watched a few episodes, but wow. It's oddly mesmerizing. The guy seems like a first-class, narcississtic ahole. The kids don't seem like things are peachy keen with their lives. And if they're so religiously convicted to do this, how come there's never any footage of anything remotely religious? At least I haven't seen any, though admittedly I'm late to the party.

And I think one of the wives is fixin' to bail.

Thoughts?

astrid

They have been talking more of their religion this season. There aren't any other members of their congregation in LV so they're been having services in their living room.

Who do you think is fixin' to bail? Meri or Janelle? :lol:

This lifestyle has worked for eons.

I sometimes think it would be great to have another woman around (as long as we got along) to raise children together. Sometimes I think we women have so much on our plate, a helpmate would be great.

That being said, I think this guy is odd, and from some of the examples of this lifestyle in recent times, the men seem to use the multiple women as a way of working less and being a user.

I think polygamy or typical marriage can be distorted from good to bad by the individuals in the relationship.

I just watched the second session (its on netflix now) and actually I think he was much less cocky in this season and I could see more how much he loves his family. I think the wives have a unique perspective and they all want to be in a polygamous marriage.

I havn't watched the show since last season and only a few times, but the nurse (I think that is her job) seems like she is DONE with being a major breadwinner and is the most stressed by the bills.

The newest wife----- where is the father to her children?

As far as polygamy in general: I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were also okay for women to marry as many men as they want. It seems sexist that it only goes one way.

As far as this family is concerned: He does seem like a narcissistic ahole and I can't believe that so many women are attracted to him! It's all about ME!~My fabulous hair! (gag) My sports car!....Oh, and there are also women and children who GET TO LIVE WITH ME AND MY FABULOUSNESS!! :glare:

i thnk sister wives was a crazy show but i just couldn't keep from watching it, lol. when netflix ran out of episodes, i was admittedly sad.

the thing for me is, i found myself understanding the duggars and their reasoning as each episode unfolded. that's not to say i live like the duggars, but my respect for them grew with each episode and i began to grasp why they do what they do.

with sister wives, however, although i did find myself liking the people over time (well-not the husband, but the wives) i just never did understand the benefit of polygamy at all. the community of sisterhood i get, but sharing the same man??? they even seem to struggle with it!! i cannot wrap my brain around the "greater benefit" they seem to believe exists. i loved the show though. totally bizarre.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

They have been talking more of their religion this season. There aren't any other members of their congregation in LV so they're been having services in their living room.

I bet she means Mari...but I don't think she is going to bail. I think she is the favorite and besides that, she is the legal wife.

I actually like them. They seem like normal people...and there are parts of their life that I like (being so close with other women/friends). I could never share my husband though!!!

I bet she means Mari...but I don't think she is going to bail. I think she is the favorite and besides that, she is the legal wife.

I actually like them. They seem like normal people...and there are parts of their life that I like (being so close with other women/friends). I could never share my husband though!!!

Exactly. I like how they pick up the slack for each other and help each other out. I think he is loyal to Meri (as loyal as he can be), but his favorite is the new skinny wife.

ETA: Did you notice how all the wives are now hitting the gym and trying to lose weight? I don't think that is a coincidence no matter how many times the husband says her prefers big women.

I've watched several shows just to see how it really works for them. I observe the moms and really look at the kids whenever they're on. The women are an interesting bunch. They seem to get along and seem to want to be there, and of course there are challenges, but they seem to handle them well. Also, the first wives have been married a long time. I think they do believe in it as the right way to live, but you always wonder if one of them will snap out of it and say 'enough'. Enough of what, I'm not sure. Maybe enough of the husband who seems a little over the top?

About the kids; they ALL seem very cranky and miserable looking, but maybe that's because a lot of them are teens? lol You can see the difference in upbringing comparing them to the Duggar teens. In this family, you do hear negativity and harsh words and tones. You see more 'raw' emotions than in the Duggar home, so the kids exhibit the range of emotions, too.

Why do you think one of the wives is thinking of leaving? Where did you get that idea from? Now that they're in las vegas they each have their own home on that street. It seems funny, a little, how they go from home to home. I suspect that with having their own home, they feel the husband's absence more than when they were all in that other house where he was all the time. I don't know, it's not a lifestyle for everyone, but if they feel convicted then let them go ahead. As long as he's fair with his wives, that's fine.

...his favorite is the new skinny wife.

I think they (the wives) think that...and I agree that he seems majorly attracted to her over the others. However, I see a much deeper connection with Meri than any other the other wives. I kind of tend to compartmentalize things in my mind and I see him and Meri as the husband and wife "team" - while the others are brought on as helpers and have their designed place. But I still think Meri is "the one" with him. I see Janelle as the "other man" - she helps bring home the bacon. I see Christine as the one who takes on the "housewife" role - she cooks, cleans, and is just the built-in "mommy extrodinaire." And Robyn...well, she more reminds me of some kind of affair that a middle-aged man would have just for the s*x. LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

I agree, he's about as narcissistic as they come.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Those relationships can never be equal.

They freak me out. The thought of my Dh having sex with another woman with my blessing?

Rage.

I love the show just because I like watching a train wreck. I mean, it's fascinating the way they live. But yeah. I would just as soon rip my fingernails off before letting my husband sleep with another woman that he not only lusts after, but is in love with as well. Uh, no.:001_huh:

I have watched it now and then. The guy is not attractive to me in any respect; I'm kind of amazed he got one wife. I personally like Meri (the first wife) the most.

I can sort of see the appeal of sharing duties to raise the family(ies). It is a little bit "gross" to me when there's an image of him kissing Meri, then kissing Christine, then kissing Robyn, etc. I just cannot imagine how any woman can accept that. I can't really imagine how any one guy can *want* to meet the needs of four women; isn't it hard enough to manage one of us? :lol:

About the kids; they ALL seem very cranky and miserable looking, but maybe that's because a lot of them are teens? lol You can see the difference in upbringing comparing them to the Duggar teens. In this family, you do hear negativity and harsh words and tones. You see more 'raw' emotions than in the Duggar home, so the kids exhibit the range of emotions, too.

I love SW! It is a train wreck, and I can't wait to see it each week. The thing I find amazing is how "Normal" they are able to make it look. I am also amazed that four seemingly normal women are with Kody. While I think he does love his family, he is just way too over the top.

The quote above about the kids. I did not think the kids seemed cranky/miserable last season (when they were still in Utah). I really do believe that they are not happy in LV...it is very difficult to be ripped from everything you know--especially for teens. The show this past Sunday, it looked like they were coming around a bit. I hope for their sakes they do.

I find them fascinating. My husband laughs at me for watching them every week.:)

As far as the religious thing goes, I think they're very guarded about it. They've talked quite a bit about not being LDS. Like another poster said, they have showed some of their services at home this season. They had one of their daughters refuse to go to the home services because she was uncomfortable with something sacred being taped and aired. So, maybe they are trying to respect their kids' feelings?

They also had an episode where Kody and the wives went to a Presbyterian church to ask the pastor about the youth group. They were thinking of sending their teens there to make some friends. They showed a discussion between all of the parents about whether or not they would do it due to their own religious beliefs.

Last week's episode showed them spending a weekend with friends from their church in Utah and talking lots about "living the principle" which, at least in part, meant polygamy and it was definitely related to religion.

So, my experience is that they talk a lot about religious things.

It's clear that some of the teens have no interest in living the same way when they are adults. Some of the kids are also very, very vocal about hating Vegas.

It certainly does seem like the addition of Robyn (which was instigated by wife #1) has thrown a wrench into their family dynamics. Lots of jealousy there.

From what I remember, Wife #2's (Janelle) mother is the second wife of Kody's father. So, Janelle's mom and Kody's mom are also sister wives.

I actually like them even though there is no way I could fathom living like that.:)

Last week's episode showed them spending a weekend with friends from their church in Utah and talking lots about "living the principle" which, at least in part, meant polygamy and it was definitely related to religion.

QUOTE]

Yeah, that was odd. It was a monog couple who believed in the principle of polygamy and yet, they had 6 kids, not plans for another sister wife and couldn't stop bringing up objections to polygamy...

The forth wife is Robin and she is divorced from the father of the three kids. Apparently he couldn't handle being a Dad to an Autistic son from the gossip I've heard. Robin did mention that she wanted to have sister wives and he didn't and that was the reason they split.

The Browns did explain that they didn't show the wedding ceremony on the show because it's a sacred rite to them and they felt the cameras would take away from the importance of the rite. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare it would be to get permission from every individual at a church to be shown on national TV? I totally understand why they don't show the Brown family going to chapel or the like. Prosecution for polygamy is a very real threat in Utah, as is being ostracized and fired (as we saw with Merri).

As for the jobs, both Janelle, Merri, and Cody had jobs in Utah. Merri got fired for being a polygamist, and Cody and Janelle quit their jobs when they moved to Nevada. Right now they are living on savings, doing real estate, and looking to start a family business.

As you can tell, I like the show and watch it all the time : D

Would I do it? In a New York second. It would be heaven to me to not have to prop up my husbands ego 24/7. I would sell my eye teeth to not EVER have to help a man through some painful procedure (my ex was a big baby). Not wanting to sleep with someone that night and being able to trade nights with someone else? WHERE IS THE DOTTED LINE? More seriously speaking, polygamy is supported by example in the Bible. I'd need to learn more about their take on The Principal to understand it. I can see how having sister wives would make me a better person - I would have to get over myself and my inherent selfishness to do what is best for the family. All in all, I can see the appeal.

As far as this family is concerned: He does seem like a narcissistic ahole and I can't believe that so many women are attracted to him! It's all about ME!~My fabulous hair! (gag) My sports car!....Oh, and there are also women and children who GET TO LIVE WITH ME AND MY FABULOUSNESS!! :glare:

:iagree: Yeah, that! Just can't fathom it and that guy just gives me the creeps.

I have to wonder about the benefit to the "non-legal" wives. They don't have the legal protection of marriage so I would wonder what difficulties that creates for them.

The forth wife is Robin and she is divorced from the father of the three kids. Apparently he couldn't handle being a Dad to an Autistic son from the gossip I've heard. Robin did mention that she wanted to have sister wives and he didn't and that was the reason they split.

The Browns did explain that they didn't show the wedding ceremony on the show because it's a sacred rite to them and they felt the cameras would take away from the importance of the rite. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare it would be to get permission from every individual at a church to be shown on national TV? I totally understand why they don't show the Brown family going to chapel or the like. Prosecution for polygamy is a very real threat in Utah, as is being ostracized and fired (as we saw with Merri).

As for the jobs, both Janelle, Merri, and Cody had jobs in Utah. Merri got fired for being a polygamist, and Cody and Janelle quit their jobs when they moved to Nevada. Right now they are living on savings, doing real estate, and looking to start a family business.

As you can tell, I like the show and watch it all the time : D

Would I do it? In a New York second. It would be heaven to me to not have to prop up my husbands ego 24/7. I would sell my eye teeth to not EVER have to help a man through some painful procedure (my ex was a big baby). Not wanting to sleep with someone that night and being able to trade nights with someone else? WHERE IS THE DOTTED LINE? More seriously speaking, polygamy is supported by example in the Bible. I'd need to learn more about their take on The Principal to understand it. I can see how having sister wives would make me a better person - I would have to get over myself and my inherent selfishness to do what is best for the family. All in all, I can see the appeal.

The Bible accepted polygamy when the earth was still being populated. When Abraham didn't believe God and Sarah told him to sleep with a concubine, God was angry. Abraham didn't believe him and wasn't supposed to go with another. God actually told him not to stray from Sarah.

But that's neither here nor there. If you would be comfortable with it, you are your own keeper.

I think they (the wives) think that...and I agree that he seems majorly attracted to her over the others. However, I see a much deeper connection with Meri than any other the other wives. I kind of tend to compartmentalize things in my mind and I see him and Meri as the husband and wife "team" - while the others are brought on as helpers and have their designed place. But I still think Meri is "the one" with him. I see Janelle as the "other man" - she helps bring home the bacon. I see Christine as the one who takes on the "housewife" role - she cooks, cleans, and is just the built-in "mommy extrodinaire." And Robyn...well, she more reminds me of some kind of affair that a middle-aged man would have just for the s*x. LOL

Good analysis about all of them! Yeah, poor Robyn is the new hottie on the block.

From what I remember, Wife #2's (Janelle) mother is the second wife of Kody's father. So, Janelle's mom and Kody's mom are also sister wives.

:confused: Umm...does that make them siblings?

BTW: I love the show for some odd reason and while I really can't stand Cody I wouldn't mind being friends with the wives. Except maybe Robin who reminds of this girl I got into a fight with in middle school.

BTW: I love the show for some odd reason and while I really can't stand Cody I wouldn't mind being friends with the wives. Except maybe Robin who reminds of this girl I got into a fight with in middle school.

I think they are step siblings. :tongue_smilie:

I have watched it now and then. The guy is not attractive to me in any respect; I'm kind of amazed he got one wife. I personally like Meri (the first wife) the most.

I can sort of see the appeal of sharing duties to raise the family(ies). It is a little bit "gross" to me when there's an image of him kissing Meri, then kissing Christine, then kissing Robyn, etc. I just cannot imagine how any woman can accept that. I can't really imagine how any one guy can *want* to meet the needs of four women; isn't it hard enough to manage one of us? :lol:

This exactly, and the last line just about sums it up for dh I am sure. :lol:

I have to wonder about the benefit to the "non-legal" wives. They don't have the legal protection of marriage so I would wonder what difficulties that creates for them.

This is what I always wonder about.

What if Kody was to drop dead tomorrow? His legal wife is the only one (besides the children) who are going to get social security benefits.

The other wives will be left high and dry.

What about life insurance? Does he have 4 separate policies with each wife as a beneficiary?

I have only seen 18 episodes because it is on Netflix. :001_smile:

I've never watched Sister Wives but

I sometimes think it would be great to have another woman around (as long as we got along) to raise children together. Sometimes I think we women have so much on our plate, a helpmate would be great.

:D I often tell my DH I'd love it if he went out and got another wife to help me around the house and with the kids. She can watch the littles while I homeschool the bigs :D and I will happily do all the laundry and ironing if she does all the cooking :D

I am LDS - and I would be first in line if they ever bought the practice of polygomy back :lol: (J/K but maybe not if I've been having a bad week) :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I haven't seen any of the new episodes but last season he told his original wife that the thought of her having another "husband" makes him ill.

So, it's okay for him to have 4 wives, but they can only have him.

Yeah, that was very hypocritical to me. I will admit a sick fascination with the show. I think there is a lot of love there for the children, but a lot of the children seem dissatisfied, and polygamy as a whole weirds me out because of the rampant abuse.

As individuals, I like each of the wives, especially Christine. Even though she is most convinced of her plural marriage, she seems the most grounded. I love her. Meri seems jealous and petty, and Janelle, just blah. Robin is rather adorable, to me, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I don't believe we should be prosecuting adults who make the choice of polygamy as ADULTS. But, I also find the belief that it is bibically rooted to be misguided. That said, what I find most odd is that the Mormon church only backed out of their practice of polygamy when it became politically important to do so. In some ways, I lose a lot of respect for the church leaders (not members) for that.

I also find it wonderful that the kids can choose -- not at all cultish like Warren Jeffs.

I can't see how it's hurting anyone (and THAT statement, I suppose, will be the one that others may latch onto and say how others are, in fact, being hurt).

I had to quote this just because you said someone would.;) It is hurting someone. It is hurting the children as well as themselves. In my opinion anyways.

I haven't watched in a while, but I like the first three wives. I have mixed feelings about Robin. I do not see what attracts any of them to Kody. I have no opinion on the kids. From what I remember, the show is (appropriately) focused more on the adults and less on the kids.

As a lifestyle choice, I have no opinion on polygamy other than that it is not for me and I dislike the inequity between the sexes.

As a religious practice, I find Mormon polygamy extremely offensive.

:lol: Um, I can't think of her name...she's blonde..... Christine! Just thought of it.

She seems increasingly dissatisfied. She likes living alone. She just allowed her 8 year old daughter to move in with Meri because she doesn't get along with her. She seems to contradict Kody (gag-- the "K") more often and more vigorously than the others. I don't know...just a hunch.

My other hunch is that Kody is gay. :tongue_smilie:

No, seriously. I think he is.

astrid

I just recently watched some of it. I'm surprised people say the guy seems like a jerk because I thought he seemed pretty nice and genuinely interested in treating his wives fairly though his personality would grate on my nerves if I had to spend too much time with that much enthusiasm. :p

I agree that saying the thought of his wife having another husband makes him sick was hypocritical, but I think he acknowledged that when he said it.

Personally, I can't imagine living such a lifestyle, and I wonder if it's healthy for the children but they do seem to have a fairly stable and peaceful home environment. I've only watched the first season and an episode or two of the second.

I think they are step siblings. :tongue_smilie:

Yep...step siblings.

Kody said on a recent show that his parents left the LDS church and embraced their new faith while he was away on his LDS mission.

I thought sometime last season they said that Janelle's mom married Kody's dad after Kody and Janelle were married but don't quote me on that.

I love this show. I would never in a million years want to be in a polygamist relationship, but I think it is incredibly interesting to watch. :)

I think that's a pretty good analysis. You see a picture of them and its obvious that one of these wives is not like the others. ;) Robyn seems kinda dumb, but in a sweet sort of way. She would drive me insane. Christine is definitely jealous of Robyn. She liked being the youngest and last wife, but Robyn stole that spot. Kody is confused as to why he and Christine are having relationship troubles for the first time in their marriage. Seriously, dude? Get a clue. :lol:

Yep...step siblings.

Kody said on a recent show that his parents left the LDS church and embraced their new faith while he was away on his LDS mission.

I thought sometime last season they said that Janelle's mom married Kody's dad after Kody and Janelle were married but don't quote me on that.

Everyone in Janelle's family pretty much wrote her off when she joined the polygamist church--except her mom. Her mom joined the church, too, met Kody's dad because Kody and Janelle were engaged, and married him.

Oh man. So much to say about this show. They really beat a point to death. They take one statement "We are a team" or "We need a night away by ourselves" or "we are being investigated" and they say the same thing over and over. And then each wife says it in her own words. And that husband person is an ass. What a clown, he's just a joke.

I just watched the "vacation at the family ranch" show, and sorry, but if the ranch life is supposed to be as real as the rest of their little show it's all been through the horse.

What religion are they? I saw the show a few times and it didn't say.. I was assuming they were of an LDS branch (specifying BRANCH because I know that mainstream LDS don't practice polygamy anymore) but it looks like some of you are saying they're not?

As for the actual practice of having more than one wife..I think I could be happy enough that way.. it would be kinda fun to have a "sister wife" to share in all the life-stuff. (as long as it was someone with whom I could be friends)

It'll never happen though. :laugh:

What religion are they? I saw the show a few times and it didn't say.. I was assuming they were of an LDS branch (specifying BRANCH because I know that mainstream LDS don't practice polygamy anymore) but it looks like some of you are saying they're not?

As for the actual practice of having more than one wife..I think I could be happy enough that way.. it would be kinda fun to have a "sister wife" to share in all the life-stuff. (as long as it was someone with whom I could be friends)

It'll never happen though. :laugh:

You're right. They belong to a Mormon splinter group. According to wikipedia, they belong to the Apostolic United Brethren.

Oh man. So much to say about this show. They really beat a point to death. They take one statement "We are a team" or "We need a night away by ourselves" or "we are being investigated" and they say the same thing over and over. And then each wife says it in her own words. And that husband person is an ass. What a clown, he's just a joke.

I just watched the "vacation at the family ranch" show, and sorry, but if the ranch life is supposed to be as real as the rest of their little show it's all been through the horse.

:iagree: with EVERY. SINGLE. STATEMENT.

And will add that the new wife on the block just WHINES. CONSTANTLY.

astrid

I have to admit, I think the guy is kind of cute. :tongue_smilie: Something about his helplessness is sort of endearing. Or maybe I just subconsciously want to get a puppy.

I really don't care whether people want to live as polygamists or not. As long as nobody is being abused, it's their choice. I could never do it, though. Sharing the guy wouldn't bother me so much- I think true Disney-style love is overrated, to be honest- but I could never give up that much of my autonomy as a parent. I don't want some other woman disciplining my child, or saying that she's my dd's mom, too. That would drive me up a wall.

This show is my guilty pleasure and I am what most would call a fairly conservative christian (ok, very much so) but they really seem like it works for them. They seem so normal and although I may not agree with it it saddens me that they can not just live their life. I think they are nice and although Kody seems a little goofy, I would love to visit with the ladies.

I've only watched a couple episodes, and not recently. But I do remember one episode where it showed them all kneeling to pray in a room together.

and.... I probably shouldn't say this, but, I can't imagine one man being able to satisfy that many women unless he has some kinda s@x drive. Or unless they have no s@x drive.

:lol: That made me laugh. I have real life stories I could tell, but I shall refrain.

But! --Solomon of the bible --had over 1000 women at his disposal. He managed.