Menu

Sister Wives

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not have to beat my children to teach them to be cheerful, or respectful. All it took was teaching them that if they want me to hear them out, and take their feelings into account...they better express themselves in a calm, respectful manner. You want to be grumpy? Fine, be grumpy in your room. You don't get to make the entire house miserable, because you are out of sorts.

:iagree: I also had really never thought of distrusting people because they and their children smile too much. I find that odd.

Edited by FiveOaksAcademy

I just finished watching the second season.

Let me see if I can put this into words. I think the sister wives basically hold the guy in contempt but are using him to get what they want- family. They have much closer sister realtionships with each other than with him. I cracked up when Meri and Robyn were talking about how close they were, and he pipes up like a two yr old "But you're closer to me right??? Than you are to each other??? I'm just asking?" And the women pause just long enough that I really wonder if they're going to be honest with him, but then they say "Oh yes, we're much closer to you!"

Hahahaha. What a maroon. (yes, I'm quoting Bugs Bunny, let's not do that again!) He looks like such an idiot and he thinks he's all that with his little bevy of wives. And merciful heavens, can't he flip that hair just like a pre-teen girly?

Personally I don't care what they do, I think it's wrong, but it's none of mine. But I really dislike the husband, not only because he's an ass, but he is an ass that looks remarkably like my sister's ex, acts and talks like him too, and let me tell you, there was a real creepoid.

I don't think the Duggars are faking their happiness. I can smell fake happiness a mile away and I don't see it there. However, the Duggar clan, as nice and sweet and happy as they are, have never struck me as the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Maybe that helps keep things cheerful, IDK.

Now if you want to see fake happiness and fake smiles on a family reality show-- Jon and Kate Plus 8 (the early episodes before they were openly at each other's throats) is a prize specimen.

So true!! That is one more reality show that I am so glad went off the air...those poor children.

OK, I'm just confused now:confused: They were both considered his common law wives which was illegal in Utah. So, they moved to Nevada where common law marriages don't exist so he's just married to the first wive and living with the others? Is that right :001_huh:

Yes.

I watched the first few episodes and I couldn't take it. He is really arrogant and I too find the entire thing odd.

They didn't seem all that religious to me either. Do the kids attend regular school? I thought they said something about formerly homeschooling and then finding a school where their values were taught?

Dawn

Yes, they hs'ed up until a couple of years ago. One of the older girls (Meri's dd) was still kind of hybrid homeschooling at least, but then they all went to ps (I'm a season or two behind, we don't have cable and they stopped webcasting).

I would guess that other than the polygamy principle thing (of which mainstream LDS people I know have been some of the strongest opponents I've heard), the ps in Utah probably would fit with a lot of their religious beliefs. We found that when our dc were in ps there, they were coming home with a lot of material that reflected LDS views on history as opposed to the secular mainstream, for example. They would go on field trips to church-run museums, etc. It wasn't the main reason we pulled them out of ps, but it was a contributing factor. I don't think it's anything intentional, I don't think that a lot of them realize/think about it (which I think happens anywhere there is an overwhelming religious majority), but since we're not LDS, it wasn't something I was entirely comfortable with, either.

OK, I'm just confused now:confused: They were both considered his common law wives which was illegal in Utah. So, they moved to Nevada where common law marriages don't exist so he's just married to the first wive and living with the others? Is that right :001_huh:

Legally, yeah. Religiously, no.

I guess it depends what you call a real marriage, doesn't it?

Rosie

yeah I'm not sure what I think of the whole situation either...I mean all the kids-how in the world do they get "father time".....and I don't know how they deal with bringing another "wife" into the family.... LOL I"ve watched just about all of last season and this season I've started to see the hubby differently-he does seem like a jerk....I just don't get it at all....guess it's like the preverbial train-wreck once you start watching you can't stop LOL.....it's definately interesting

I think the sister wives basically hold the guy in contempt but are using him to get what they want- family. They have much closer sister realtionships with each other than with him. I cracked up when Meri and Robyn were talking about how close they were, and he pipes up like a two yr old "But you're closer to me right??? Than you are to each other??? I'm just asking?" And the women pause just long enough that I really wonder if they're going to be honest with him, but then they say "Oh yes, we're much closer to you!"

Well he'd be up the creek with child support if they decided to run off and have their own little commune without him!

Rosie

It's the "training." I'm convinced of it. The whole "cheerful countenence" thing is one of the major tenets of the Pearls and Gothards. Beat them for being unhappy, and then beat them until they're happy. Not saying the Duggars are switching kids, but we only see what TLC airs.

astrid

Once upon a time, I would have said you were indulging in ugly hyperbole.

However, I'd dare anyone to listen to Denny Kennaston's "The Godly Home" series, and listen to his tapes about training children and not come away believing, "If I beat my children when they're bad, they'll be joyful because they will know they have suffered for their sins, and then they can be happy again." Essentially, the sign of a happy child is that they've had the mickey beaten out of them. If they're unhappy, they're not being punished sufficiently and their sin is bringing them down. Punish them, and they'll be happy, happy, happy! And we all want our children looking happy, so we can bring in the converts!

However, I'd dare anyone to listen to Denny Kennaston's "The Godly Home" series, and listen to his tapes about training children and not come away believing, "If I beat my children when they're bad, they'll be joyful because they will know they have suffered for their sins, and then they can be happy again." !

Oh my god. *hysterical laughter* I just googled those out of sheer morbid curiosity- apparently you can listen to them for free on the website- and the guy sounds like an alien! How does anyone take them seriously? I can't stop giggling now.

Oh my god. *hysterical laughter* I just googled those out of sheer morbid curiosity- apparently you can listen to them for free on the website- and the guy sounds like an alien! How does anyone take them seriously? I can't stop giggling now.

But the impact of their "work" is so very sad.

Painful.

I was loosely involved with them for a while. Just . . . hard to explain. And definitely hard to listen to. He's started developing more of a PA Dutch accent as he's gone along over the years. I heard him preach a 3-hour wedding once, and he was hollering about God being the "holy glue" holding the new husband and wife together. "Hooooley Glleeeew"

They draw in a lot of folks looking for "plain Christianity." Lots of X-Amish and Mennonites, as well as non-plain folks looking for a plainer path.

Kenaston is X-Baptist, which might be part of his willingness to holler so much. :)

I stay in hotels for work, and one chain always has TLC (amidst 17 different ESPN channels, so it seems). I usually watch whatever TLC is playing, because it's my guilty work pleasure. Unless it's the Duggars. I have no beef with them, Michelle's voice is just so syrup-y that it grates on me. Same with Kate from Jon & Kate; I get mini-convulsions hearing her voice. The Sister Wives I can sit through, though!

The women seem normal enough. Likeable, even.

The man doesn't give me an a$$h0le vibe, but he definitely seems (to me) to be Peter Pan-ish. A big kid. The 20 year old frat boy who never grew up. The baby brother we all have who keeps trying to hang with the big kids, but is still -and always will be- the little boy with the little kid mentality and view of the world. He reminds me of a guy who maybe skated by on decent looks, which -when coupled with a boyish charm- probably proved irrisistable to young women with a small pool from which ot draw from. I see the 4th wife marrying more into the lifestyle than to the man; that is, I see her signing up for the package deal (sister wives) in which he's part of the package (as opposed him being the major draw). He's the kind of guy that was probably fun to run around with when you were young and single, but he's not the guy you want your sister bringing into the family.

All of this I've gleamed from a handful of 30 minute, heavily edited episodes :lol: but hey, you asked so I thought I'd share!

The lifestyle is interesting. I get the same benefit of a community to help me raise my kids, without the husband sharing. My extended family chooses to live in a way that prioritizes our family good over any one individual's good. It's not a lifestyle for everyone, but it works for us. By that token, I don't begrudge the sister wives' arrangment and I can see how it'd work for them. Moreso, I can see the appeal of it to them.

I'm not sure if it's because I have a background in socio-biology, or if it's due to a close family culture of arranged marriage, or if it's because I come from a culture where affairs aren't uncommon, or if it's just because I ate a chocolate and crushed peanut donut this morning for breakfast ... but to me, the horizontal tango isn't the end all, be all of a marriage. It's a biological act; our social norms have elevated it to a higher, more meaningful status and I think that's why so many people have a hard time understanding the 'sharing' aspect.

Meanwhile, many cultures around the world have an unofficial acceptance of this brand of sharing; if not the family wealth and resources, then at least the family patriarch's party parts. In many cultures, heads are turned and eyes are closed when it comes to physical affairs - some being long-term, and/or also child-producing. It's not so unusual, even if it seems so from our POV.

It's interesting to note that in this family, all parties get a fair share of the family's resources; it's not like they're number two (or further down the list) with access to resources corresponding to their position ... in my culture, historically, there was one wife and her kids got it all. Number two wife got a few token resources but she knew her place and so did everyone else. That's not so in this Sister Wives family. I think that's a good thing, and it's one benefit to their brand of recognized polygamy.

Painful.

I was loosely involved with them for a while. Just . . . hard to explain. And definitely hard to listen to. He's started developing more of a PA Dutch accent as he's gone along over the years. I heard him preach a 3-hour wedding once, and he was hollering about God being the "holy glue" holding the new husband and wife together. "Hooooley Glleeeew"

They draw in a lot of folks looking for "plain Christianity." Lots of X-Amish and Mennonites, as well as non-plain folks looking for a plainer path.

Kenaston is X-Baptist, which might be part of his willingness to holler so much. :)

Yeah, I could identify the accent after listening for a bit longer. It wasn't the accent that left me :blink:, though. His voice inflection and the way he says things make him sound like a raving loon. Can't put my finger on what exactly is so weird, but I had to stop listening because it went from being funny to making my skin crawl. Plus my ear buds kept falling out, so I finally just took it as a sign from the universe and stopped torturing myself. :tongue_smilie:

I just think the Browns are better parents. Their kids seem like normal kids, and don't have to act like little adults and raise the littles. The parents make it clear to them that they can choose the parents' value system, or not, and that they'll love them either way. There are a few more moms than you'd expect, but in the end, they do seem like a normal family in most ways.

The Duggar kids seem... brainwashed. No other way to put it. It creeps me out.

:iagree: with this. The Duggar kids seem too....tooooooo ....trained.

You guys had my curiosity and I watched some of the episodes and I was hooked. With all the craziness that goes on inside families, it seems these guys are just so normal. Their lifestyle seems calm. Their kids look well taken care of, loved, having fun together etc. They are not Zombie kids. I love their teenagers. They would be kids I wouldn't mind mine being friends with.

I just don't understand the reason for police investigation ( other than the police may be bored). This is not an issue of child brides and cult activity. These are grown ups living how they would like to live, caring for their children, paying their bills etc. If the police got involved in every " different" family, they would be very busy indeed. What about gay families? What about unmarried couples living together and having kids. What about the dad who has a wife, girlfriend, etc.

As long as they are providing for their own, not depending on the public dole, and loving their kids....I don't get the whole hoopla.

Faithe...who enjoyed watching this show this weekend, but now has to grudgingly go to work...

Love the show, watch it every week. But, I do find it hard to wrap my head around them making such a controversial, outside-the-norm lifestyle choice on the basis of religion, when I don't see religion being a major focus or component in the rest of their lives. It also seems like their beliefs are all about polygamy, and not much else.

This could just be due to editing, and I can't judge since I don't know them personally. However, the fact that Kody was kissing his "girlfriend" before he married Robin (which upset some of the other wives), the wives now attending the gym in mainstream (tight) workout clothes with a male trainer, and the latest trailer for next week's show having a "sister wives' night out", with their hair and makeup done prancing around the strip all call into question the strictness of their belief system.

All that said, who am I to judge? I'm still intrigued by the family and enjoy the show immensely.

I'm pretty sure that he's had a marriage ceremony for each and they all identify as wives.

That doesn't matter. It's not legally a marriage, no matter what type of ceremony they have!

I think a big part of the Duggar children's seemingly perpetually sunny attitudes is that they are instructed that they must always have a "joyful countenance" and "happy" is the ONLY image you project. I think that is a BIG difference between the children of each family.

astrid

I wish I had been raise to focus on happy things (instead of negative things), honestly. That isn't meant to be snarky, either. I really mean that.

Love the show, watch it every week. But, I do find it hard to wrap my head around them making such a controversial, outside-the-norm lifestyle choice on the basis of religion, when I don't see religion being a major focus or component in the rest of their lives. It also seems like their beliefs are all about polygamy, and not much else.

This could just be due to editing, and I can't judge since I don't know them personally. However, the fact that Kody was kissing his "girlfriend" before he married Robin (which upset some of the other wives), the wives now attending the gym in mainstream (tight) workout clothes with a male trainer, and the latest trailer for next week's show having a "sister wives' night out", with their hair and makeup done prancing around the strip all call into question the strictness of their belief system.

All that said, who am I to judge? I'm still intrigued by the family and enjoy the show immensely.

Also, the Bible says to live by the laws of the land (obviously, unless it goes against the Bible). It's illegal in this country to be married to more than one person. They twist things as they see fit. Like I said earlier, he has one wife and three concubines. It does not matter if they have a wedding ceremony... they are not married.

The reason the police were investigating is because the court could determine it is bigamy - even though he is only married to one of the women, legally.

In Utah (and other states) there are laws pertaining to Common Law Marriage. Here is what the Utah State Law Library (http://www.utcourts.gov/lawlibrary/blog/2009/09/common_law_marriage_in_utah.html) says:

Common law marriage in Utah is the recognition by the Courts that a relationship between a man and a woman is a legal and valid marriage even if no legal wedding ceremony--religious or civil--took place.

The Utah Code regarding common law marriage states that parties may petition the court to recognize a contract between a man and woman who

* are of legal age and capable of giving consent;

* are legally capable of entering a solemnized marriage under the provisions of this chapter;

* have cohabited;

* mutually assume marital rights, duties, and obligations; and

* who hold themselves out as and have acquired a uniform and general reputation as husband and wife.

The petition for recognition of common law marriage must be made during the relationship or within a year after the end of the relationship, including if one party dies.

Nevada does not recognize Common Law Marriages, which is the reason they moved from Utah to Nevada.

I wish I had been raise to focus on happy things (instead of negative things), honestly. That isn't meant to be snarky, either. I really mean that.

Me too. My life would have been SO much easier if I had been raised the way the Duggars are raising their kids. As it was, I was allowed to act out all of my moods/anger/angst (like most "normal" kids I guess) and it made my life way more difficult. This is one area I think the Duggars are majorly succeeding in. I guess people can find something to criticize about anything.

:iagree:

Also, the Bible says to live by the laws of the land (obviously, unless it goes against the Bible). It's illegal in this country to be married to more than one person. They twist things as they see fit. Like I said earlier, he has one wife and three concubines. It does not matter if they have a wedding ceremony... they are not married.

Perhaps their denomination has different interpretations of what the bible says…that's pretty common.

Me too. My life would have been SO much easier if I had been raised the way the Duggars are raising their kids. As it was, I was allowed to act out all of my moods/anger/angst (like most "normal" kids I guess) and it made my life way more difficult. This is one area I think the Duggars are majorly succeeding in. I guess people can find something to criticize about anything.

Exactly. Well said. I hope I can one day live like they do.

They identify as wives - I choose to respect that and refer to them as such.

I don't buy into that at all.

So, you seem to indicate that you would break the law if the law when against the teachings in your religious text. The Brown are following what their religion teaches. The Bible (and your interpretation of it) is not the sole basis of their religion, so it is hardly surprising that their beliefs about what God does or doesn't want them to do, despite the law, are different from yours or mine.

If the law said no one could get married, yet you and your partner had a ceremony before God, would you feel married? Would you think of yourself as married and act as if you are married, even if the law said you are not?

Meh. I'm mainstream LDS, which is a religion that a lot of people view as "strict", and I've done all of those things, (well, except "prancing around the Strip" was done with DH :lol: ) while still being in keeping with the tennants of my faith. (no drinking or gambling at the Strip, no being with another male alone, which at a gym you wouldn't be, kissed DH before we were married but not much beyond that, etc.)

What on the surface can sometimes appear as being "strict", can actually have a lot of freedom and plenty of room for self-expression. :)

So, you seem to indicate that you would break the law if the law when against the teachings in your religious text. The Brown are following what their religion teaches. The Bible (and your interpretation of it) is not the sole basis of their religion, so it is hardly surprising that their beliefs about what God does or doesn't want them to do, despite the law, are different from yours or mine.

If the law said no one could get married, yet you and your partner had a ceremony before God, would you feel married? Would you think of yourself as married and act as if you are married, even if the law said you are not?

Like if I wanted to get married at 17 and it wasn't legal unless my parents said yes (but they wouldn't)? So then I decided to have a ceremony anyway? No, I would not feel married because I wouldn't really be.

Like if I wanted to get married at 17 and it wasn't legal unless my parents said yes (but they wouldn't)? So then I decided to have a ceremony anyway? No, I would not feel married because I wouldn't really be.

No, like if you, as an able-minded and fully mature adult, wanted to permanently, publicly, and legally unite your life with the life of your beloved and the government said you could NOT because the government decided that the marriage you want shouldn't be allowed.

If heterosexual marriage between one man and one woman were illegal, would you or would you not have a ceremony before God to marry your beloved?

No, like if you, as an able-minded and fully mature adult, wanted to permanently, publicly, and legally unite your life with the life of your beloved and the government said you could NOT because the government decided that the marriage you want shouldn't be allowed.

If heterosexual marriage between one man and one woman were illegal, would you or would you not have a ceremony before God to marry your beloved?

I was a mature 17 year old and I feel like I could have made that decision to get married had I wanted to. The scenario can't be on your terms only, lol.

The fact is, it is not illegal for one man and one woman to marry. If the Bible says no to something, so do I. If you have to do a lot of twisting to get what you want then there is something wrong.

Veritaserum, I thought of one. Let's say that it was like it was years ago when it was illegal for blacks and whites to marry each other. I believe in interracial marriage it's not against the Bible. I would say that people should fight for the right (like they did) and change it. Now if the situation was against the Bible to begin with, then I think we should follow that law.

I was a mature 17 year old and I feel like I could have made that decision to get married had I wanted to. The scenario can't be on your terms only, lol.

The fact is, it is not illegal for one man and one woman to marry. If the Bible says no to something, so do I. If you have to do a lot of twisting to get what you want then there is something wrong.

How many wives did Solomon have again? Separate from concubines?

How many wives did Solomon have again? Separate from concubines?

I knew that was coming! LOL! :rolleyes:

ETA: if you really want the answer to that, google it.

Edited by Jinnah

You didn't answer the question.

And still didn't answer the question. Your scenario doesn't fit the parameters I outlined. I specifically chose the parameters I did as a way to get you to see another point of view.

I realize that. I feel my second response answers your question. I will say it flat out: if I felt like what I wanted was right by biblical standards but illegal, I would fight to change the law. If what I wanted was wrong by biblical standards, I would pray to have my ideals line up with the Bible.

I realize that. I feel my second response answers your question. I will say it flat out: if I felt like what I wanted was right by biblical standards but illegal, I would fight to change the law. If what I wanted was wrong by biblical standards, I would pray to have my ideals line up with the Bible.

And actually, there is no command for Christians to marry. I mean, if a government wanted to say, 'no marriage' then that would be weird, but hey I guess Christians should honor it. Be hard to keep society from dying out though huh?

:confused:

TXMary2, I noticed the same thing (those who hate the Duggar family seem to like the Brown family). Odd.

For what it's worth (which may be nothing, since I haven't watched an episode of either show all the way through), I neither "hate" nor "like" either family. I don't know them, and I am very aware that television isn't reality.

In big, broad strokes, I find some choices both families have made somewhat troubling when it comes to their children. But I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I have it "right" and anyone who does things differently must therefore be wrong.

In general, kids are pretty resiliant. As long as they are loved and their lives are fairly stable, most kids do fine.

This lifestyle has worked for eons.

I sometimes think it would be great to have another woman around (as long as we got along) to raise children together. Sometimes I think we women have so much on our plate, a helpmate would be great.

I agree. Even more so in the modern world, where most women don't live near extended family, and work outside the home.

I don't think I would have had a problem with an additional wife. I would not have wanted 3 additional wives though.

And actually, there is no command for Christians to marry. I mean, if a government wanted to say, 'no marriage' then that would be weird, but hey I guess Christians should honor it. Be hard to keep society from dying out though huh?

:confused:

As Christians, we are commanded to go forth and multiply. We are also commanded not to have sexual relations outside of marriage. So, I'm thinking marriage is a part of fullfilling those commandments.

So you would disobey what you believed God commanded you to do unless the government changed the law that prevented you from practicing your faith? Ok, I understand that. I may even agree with it personally.

But do you have any compassion or understanding for people who would faithfully follow what they believed were God's commandments for them despite legal prohibitions? Can you see why someone might choose to follow (what they believe to be) God's laws over those of men?

Clearly you do not believe that God requires this of them, but they do believe that. Is it ethical to prevent someone from legally practicing the tenets their faith?