Menu

Sister Wives

So you would disobey what you believed God commanded you to do unless the government changed the law that prevented you from practicing your faith? Ok, I understand that. I may even agree with it personally.

But do you have any compassion or understanding for people who would faithfully follow what they believed were God's commandments for them despite legal prohibitions? Can you see why someone might choose to follow (what they believe to be) God's laws over those of men?

Clearly you do not believe that God requires this of them, but they do believe that. Is it ethical to prevent someone from legally practicing the tenets their faith?

Wait, what? I would never disobey anything that God commanded me to do. If it was illegal, I would fight for it. Please don't twist what I say.

The Browns are not doing what God commanded. They need to pray that they do His will and not theirs.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you would disobey what you believed God commanded you to do unless the government changed the law that prevented you from practicing your faith? Ok, I understand that. I may even agree with it personally.

But do you have any compassion or understanding for people who would faithfully follow what they believed were God's commandments for them despite legal prohibitions? Can you see why someone might choose to follow (what they believe to be) God's laws over those of men?

Clearly you do not believe that God requires this of them, but they do believe that. Is it ethical to prevent someone from legally practicing the tenets their faith?

Also, if someone felt it was required of them to sacrifice people or something crazy like that, I do think it's 100% ethical for the government to prevent me from doing so. If it hurts other people it's ethical.

Wait, what? I would never disobey anything that God commanded me to do. If it was illegal, I would fight for it. Please don't twist what I say.

The Browns are not doing what God commanded. They need to pray that they do His will and not theirs.

Would you not follow the commandment while you were fighting to change the law?

:banghead: The Browns prayed and believe they ARE doing God's will. They are just as confident that God wants them to be polygamist as you are that God doesn't want them to be polygamist.

I have compassion for them. It has got to be difficult to not only face the bigotry of other citizens but also be discriminated against by the government that is supposed to protect their religious freedom.

Do you watch the show? I'm asking because they addressed this quite a bit in the most recent episode. The Browns have made it very clear that they believe that they are doing as God commands. I think the first wife even stated that she did not choose the lifestyle because she wanted to live that way, but chose it because she believes that she is submitting to God's will and not her own. I expect that along the way they have prayed many deep and fervent prayers to God to do His will. It can't be easy to live like that, and it's unfair to assume that they are choosing this life lightly or without prayer, however misguided you or I may believe them to be.

The point isn't really whether they are truly following God's will or not, or whether this is truly God's commandment. The point is that they genuinely and deeply believe that this is God's will for their family, and that polygamy is an expression of faith and obedience to Him.

I don't believe in their lifestyle, and I have mixed feelings about whether or not plural marriage should be legalized. But it is very clear to me that regardless of how *I* feel about it, and regardless of the way I feel about Kody (like the wives, think he's...well, someone earlier referred to him as a puppy, and that about sums it up for me), this family deeply believes that their lifestyle is an expression of their faith.

Cat

:banghead: The Browns prayed and believe they ARE doing God's will. They are just as confident that God wants them to be polygamist as you are that God doesn't want them to be polygamist.

I have compassion for them. It has got to be difficult to not only face the bigotry of other citizens but also be discriminated against by the government that is supposed to protect their religious freedom.

I want to use the same smilie you used! lol

Do you watch the show? I'm asking because they addressed this quite a bit in the most recent episode. The Browns have made it very clear that they believe that they are doing as God commands. I think the first wife even stated that she did not choose the lifestyle because she wanted to live that way, but chose it because she believes that she is submitting to God's will and not her own. I expect that along the way they have prayed many deep and fervent prayers to God to do His will. It can't be easy to live like that, and it's unfair to assume that they are choosing this life lightly or without prayer, however misguided you or I may believe them to be.

The point isn't really whether they are truly following God's will or not, or whether this is truly God's commandment. The point is that they genuinely and deeply believe that this is God's will for their family, and that polygamy is an expression of faith and obedience to Him.

I don't believe in their lifestyle, and I have mixed feelings about whether or not plural marriage should be legalized. But it is very clear to me that regardless of how *I* feel about it, and regardless of the way I feel about Kody (like the wives, think he's...well, someone earlier referred to him as a puppy, and that about sums it up for me), this family deeply believes that their lifestyle is an expression of their faith.

Cat

Where does the Bible command their lifestyle?! Like I said earlier, they are doing a lot of twisting.

I want to use the same smilie you used! lol

Where does the Bible command their lifestyle?! Like I said earlier, they are doing a lot of twisting.

I'm standing over here watching this and I know I'm totally butting in here, but there's something I'm not clear about. Are you suggesting that the government ought to enforce YOUR specific interpretation of the Bible and YOUR specific religious convictions as law? Because it sounds as if you're saying that interpreting the Bible differently than you do should be illegal.

I think the other ladies are treating this as a legal issue--how should the Constitutional protections of religious liberty apply here. And you are treating this as a religious issue--their lifestyle is morally wrong according to YOUR religion. The thing is, the Constitution protects all religions, not just the ones based on the Bible. Being a Hindu or Buddhist isn't illegal. A person's beliefs don't have to be in the Bible to be protected under law.

ETA: Just to be clear, I'm not advocating their lifestyle. But I do sympathize with the religious freedom aspect of the situation.

Edited by MamaSheep

As Christians, we are commanded to go forth and multiply. We are also commanded not to have sexual relations outside of marriage. So, I'm thinking marriage is a part of fullfilling those commandments.

Maybe I am having a brain freeze here....but I don't recall Christians being told that (go forth and multiply). Adam and Eve were told that....but Christians were actually told that being single could be even better for some.

I don't think 'mulitplying' (marrying) is a command. But I have never really thought it through...so hmmm....

I have never met a man that was great enough that I thought I should share! :tongue_smilie:

As for the show, I watched a couple of episodes and didn't find it interesting enough to keep watching. Now I adore "Big Love" on HBO and can't wait to find the season I missed when I gave up HBO.

(snip)

I think the truth of the matter is that people who are generally miserable, just can't accept that others are happy.

I have a (now) deceased realtive that fit to a "T". she was a miserable woman, and could not comprehend people could actually be sincerely happy and nice. she was determined to make people as miserable as herself. If someone was "nice", she was convinced they were trying to scam her. . . . Just because the only time she was polite to someone was when *she* wanted something from them, doesn't mean the reverse was true. . . .

You are assuming that the only religious authority is the Bible--I'm guessing that you consider it the only religious authority, but not everyone does. There are people who believe God's will can be learned from other religious texts, from religious leaders, and directly from God--through prayer, inspiration, etc. (weren't you just talking about the need to pray to know God's will, or was that someone else?) The fact that something is not clearly commanded by God according to your interpretation of the Bible does not mean that another person could not reasonably believe it was commanded by God and that they are therefore bound to obey.