Menu

I am REALLY hesitant to ask this but...

what are your thoughts on "altar calls"?

They were an every-church-service kind of thing for me growing up. But it always felt like high-pressure sales. I never understood what was so special about walking to the altar in front of everyone to repent when you could repent right where you were sitting. Why the spectacle?

As an adult I have issues with "the sinner's prayer" and with emotional conversions. Paul preached "repent and believe" not "say these words after me".

Our students are required to go to chapel each week (this is a christian school) but it is typically a Bible lesson, a mini-sermon. We have a new spiritual life director and he has asked if he can include altar calls with my elementary students and something about it doesn't sit well with me.

But I am trying not to have a knee-jerk reaction. The idea of it gives me flashbacks of my childhood... being a captive audience... the pressure to go forward because everyone else was...

I don't want to say no because of my own issues with it. I want to do what is biblical correct.

advice?

When our family went to a Baptist church the altar calls were at the end of every service, to the song "Just As I Am", with "every head bowed, every eye closed". But, you know what? I loved church and I loved learning at the services and I could not wait to raise my hand and walk down that aisle. I did that November of 1978. Eventually we went to a Pentecostal church and sometimes we knelt down at our seats to have private prayer time... sometimes we were called to take a stand or go forward for something, but not every service.

Anyway... I can say that from my childhood, I loved the altar calls. I cannot say if they are biblical or not. I have seen some altar calls that are very emotionally charged and seem manipulative, but I don't know that I have much of an opinion. The church I currently attend (a Baptist) does give the salvation message often, but instead of the altar call with "every head bow and every eye closed" the pastor invites people to pray where they are, along with him and invites them to gather in the prayer room to be encouraged in their new faith...

Ugh. I went to a baptist church for awhile as a teen, and I thought those were absolutely ridiculous. I don't think I ever saw what seemed to be a genuine religious experience during the altar calls. Primarily, it was a way for some to prove just how wonderfully devout they were.

Also, as the kid who came from a poor, "bad" family, the altar call was the time that everyone else would give me the "don't you think you should be up there?" stink-eye. Because, you know, since I didn't come from a wealthy, "good" family, obviously I needed to be at the front of the church begging forgiveness every single week.

Honestly, I would say they were definitely a part of what drove me away from the entire religion. They were like a spotlight on the hypocrisy of the church I was attending.

I don't like them at all. I think it is even dangerous for a child (or anyone) to believe that because they walked the aisle or said a prayer that they are saved. No where in the Bible does it tell us this. I think it is especially dangerous with children who might be led to walk the aisle because their friends are and they have no real understanding of what that means.

Our church does not do alter calls but instead encourages anyone with questions to speak to the pastor or one of the elders. We are a reformed church.

I grew up catholic and then briefly attended a baptist church and then a Pentecostal church but didn't really understand salvation and my need for it until I found the reformed church. Of course that was just my experience

We are Baptist. I really dislike altar calls, as does my dh.

#1. It isn't an altar. Our sacrifices ended with Christ.

#2. Salvation isn't a show. It is based on acceptance of Christ, not acceptance of your pastor's prayer.

#3. I really, really dislike the pressure. It is an emotional ploy.

#4. It isn't biblical.

I grew up with the Just as I Am altar call as well. I think they are terribly manipulative. I walked the aisle 3 times as a child. We are at a church now that does not have altar calls, although we did sing Just As I Am this morning as our hymn of confession. It's still hard for me to see that song in a different vein.

As far as I can tell the NT church did not do altar calls. I believe it was an invention of the revivalist movement. I would tell your new guy that altar calls can end up pushing people down the aisle who are not truly repentant just because their friend is walking. And some people can have a false assurance of faith just because they walked the aisle. Ask what he believes the benefits are? Can they possibly outweigh the negatives of children misunderstanding what they are doing?

I'm glad our nondenom church doesn't have them, but I'm also glad that the pastor mentions that he is sticking around after service if anyone wants to talk to him.

I think you can find a middle ground that leaves room for a person who needs/wants prayer without making them feel they are being emotionally manipulated or part of a quota.

I share your concerns regarding altar calls and the sinner's prayer. It also sounds like we grew up with similar experiences. LOL.

I think it's totally appropriate and good to have a call to prayer at the end of the service. I think the purpose in the "walk to the altar" part is to get away from distractions back in the pews. That's not a bad thing IMO but definitely not a necessary part of praying. I also disagree with "the sinner's prayer" and repeating those words. I think it's shallow and contrived. As if people aren't able to just talk to God on their own, yk?

We are Baptist. I really dislike altar calls, as does my dh.

#1. It isn't an altar. Our sacrifices ended with Christ.

#2. Salvation isn't a show. It is based on acceptance of Christ, not acceptance of your pastor's prayer.

#3. I really, really dislike the pressure. It is an emotional ploy.

#4. It isn't biblical.

:iagree: and I'm Lutheran. :D

We don't call them "altar calls", but we have something like it at the end of every service at our church. I like them. I really like how our previous church handled them. They pointed out that you could come forward if you felt you needed the support and prayers of the whole congregation, pray silently where you were, or go out the back to see someone who could pray with you privately. I have witnessed emotional "everybody's going forward" invitations, but they are few and far between. I think I've witnessed 2-3 if my lifetime.

IME, the spectacle pretty much IS the point. My experience in that sort of church growing up was that they were a lot about shaming people into getting saved because everyone else was. If the idea of going to Hell doesn't scare you enough, how about being the last unsaved kid left in your Sunday school class?

Is the school non-denominational? Because I think the altar call suggests a very specific belief system that a lot of the parents and students would be uncomfortable with if the students come from a variety of denominations.

I think it's totally appropriate and good to have a call to prayer at the end of the service. I think the purpose in the "walk to the altar" part is to get away from distractions back in the pews. That's not a bad thing IMO but definitely not a necessary part of praying. I also disagree with "the sinner's prayer" and repeating those words. I think it's shallow and contrived. As if people aren't able to just talk to God on their own, yk?

My parents attended a church for a long long time that had these prayer altar calls like you describe. Calling people forward to pray. There are many people up front who will pray with you if you request it or you can pray silently and then everyone goes back to their seat. I think the OP is talking about an altar call in which you come forward to tell the pastor that you are repenting of your sins and receiving Jesus. And then the pastor presents you to the whole crowd and everyone says AMEN! Ooh, I'm giving myself the willies.

I believe that God calls us into His kingdom in a variety of ways, and not necessarily in an instant. Some are baptized as infants, the Holy Spirit working faith in them. Some gradually come to faith. Some have a sudden conversion experience.

I believe that an altar call demeans the actuality and the process of faith conferred in two out of those three ways. I also believe that Christ completed the sacrifice for sin, once for all, so using the term 'altar' is just a bit misleading.

Personally, I would want a called, ordained minister to conduct weekly worship services in a Christian school, and probably with a defined order, such as Matins, and seasonal hymns varying each week. And an altar call would not be part of that.

Even if it is a knee-jerk reaction on your part, I as a parent would be pleased with the decision for no altar call.

I have a great book called, Your Child's Profession of Faith, by Dennis Gunderson that has some wise council on why our goal should not be to get our kids to pray the "sinner's prayer." Instead we should be more concerned with fruit in their life because that will provide the evidence that their life has been transformed by Christ - not that they responded to an altar call.

That said, I believe the gospel should be taught, and the children encouraged to talk to their parents or a teacher if God is calling them to repent and believe on Jesus for their salvation.

I can see both points of view.

I vividly remember my salvation and how hard it was to walk those few feet to the front: everyone watching, feeling like dirt Jesus scraped off his sandal. But oh how worth it it was!!

I think that effort is as much a part of the decision as any other part of it. The public proclamation (visual ) of my guilt and cleansing.

My children have raised their hands in SS and they have said to me they didn't think it "took"---this breaks my heart.

I told them when God calls their heart to Him, they will have no doubt.

I do wonder if, by having the experience be so easy, if they are not truly answering a call, but just wanting to not be left out?-- when its as easy as raising your hand and repeating after a preacher- I don't know.

Especially for children, who doesn't want to have Jesus in your heart?

But is it the same thing as the CALL that God puts on your heart?

I wonder!

Good question and one I have asked myself more than once.

Lara

Disclaimer: I am not a Christian (though was raised one and experienced many altar calls at revivals I attended with my parents). I am also fresh off of the experience of having my step-niece's funeral turned into primarily a conversion service including altar call (at the request of other family members, but I wasn't expecting it or I might have left my child at home). In addition, we live in a part of the US that includes a number of churches who specifically target young children for covert proselytization by using bait and switch tactics for things like summer activities, so bear that in mind.

From the point of view of a parent who is responsible for my child's religious upbringing, I would not want my child's school to have altar calls in school-related activities for elementary children unless it was spelled out when I enrolled that this would be the case. It sounds like this would be a big change for this particular school. Is the school affiliated with a denomination that practices altar calls at all services? Are all the children's families affiliated with that denomination or is there a theological mix? I know that these are part and parcel of church services for some Christian groups, but I see that as different. Usually those children are in attendance with their parents or are there with their parents' full knowledge that altar calls, etc will be a part of the program (at a youth camp, VBS, etc).

I won't attempt to address whether there is a Biblical basis for doing this sort of activity with children who are not in attendance with their parents. It's obvious that that is very dependent on the interpretation of Scripture by one's denomination.

Edited by KarenNC

I don't think it's essential,but the church we went to last night referenced this verse. It was low key and wasn't something that was a prayer specific to an "unsaved persons" prayer, but the points needed... :) Wasn't anything like "Alter calls" where the pastor goes on and on till they get someone willing to come forward...

Romans 14:11: American Standard Version

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, to me every knee shall bow, And every tongue shall confess to God.

I'm glad our nondenom church doesn't have them, but I'm also glad that the pastor mentions that he is sticking around after service if anyone wants to talk to him.

I think you can find a middle ground that leaves room for a person who needs/wants prayer without making them feel they are being emotionally manipulated or part of a quota.

I share your concerns regarding altar calls and the sinner's prayer. It also sounds like we grew up with similar experiences. LOL.

I grew up Southern Baptist and felt terribly guilty as a child because I was afraid to "walk the aisle." Our current church does a very quick sort of altar call with no pressure. Recently, several kids have spoken to the pastor with their parents at other times than Sunday and have prayed to accept Christ in that way. Although the child s presented to the church, it is with the parents, and they don't have to make a walk down an aisle.

They were an every-church-service kind of thing for me growing up. But it always felt like high-pressure sales. I never understood what was so special about walking to the altar in front of everyone to repent when you could repent right where you were sitting. Why the spectacle?

As an adult I have issues with "the sinner's prayer" and with emotional conversions. Paul preached "repent and believe" not "say these words after me".

Our students are required to go to chapel each week (this is a christian school) but it is typically a Bible lesson, a mini-sermon. We have a new spiritual life director and he has asked if he can include altar calls with my elementary students and something about it doesn't sit well with me.

But I am trying not to have a knee-jerk reaction. The idea of it gives me flashbacks of my childhood... being a captive audience... the pressure to go forward because everyone else was...

I don't want to say no because of my own issues with it. I want to do what is biblical correct.

advice?

I always felt the same way growing up and adulthood has only strengthened those feelings. I think that if god is so moving you......you don't need to have all of the theatrical trappings. I think that altar calls feed into the groupthink mentality and a TRUE conversion is something that would happen in private between you and god, kwim?

Just mho.

Oh My, Every Sunday, 2 times; morning AND evening.

Our current church does not do altar calls. I wouldn't go if they did! In fact, last week we sang 'Just As I Am' and DH and I started snickering. Yes, rather disrespectful, but the song just brought back so many memories; not good.

Baptism is the New Testament way to publicly proclaim faith: Believe and be baptized. thee is not an additional requirement that in the moment of belief (if it comes in a moment) that you do anything else than believe. The Ethiopian eunuch asked for immediate baptism and Phillip did it for him.

I don't like the idea of asking elementary aged students to walk the aisle. I think it tends to be more a way of "counting heads" for the organization than it is a meaningful thing for the students. Because they are young and their parents aren't there, I would be very hesitant. I think lots of kids and even teens can, when hearing constant altar calls, feel pressured or repeat the prayer over and over, etc. At the moment a person believes, he or she is saved. Sometimes that person may not even discern exactly when that moment is. For kids raised in Christian homes, there may not be a time when they can remember ever not believing. There is no need for a separate event to be created for them. I come from a theologically conservative, nondenominational tradition.

I think they make sense in a situation where a new believer or seeker may not know where to get follow-up or answers to questions (in a mission field where there is no established church yet, or it's hard for people to travel to the church or get in touch with church leaders). But just announcing that people are available in a given location after the service would work, without making people walk down the aisle during the service. It can seem manipulative.

In a setting like an established church or your school, though, people who have questions about their faith, or want to be baptized or join the church would be able to talk to someone about it at a later time, so why would they need to walk an aisle during the service?

Wendi

Our church does them (United Methodist) but differently than others are describing them. During the last song, people can come up for baptism (infant, child, teen or adult), transfer of membership, confirmation, etc. Depending on which it, they are asked a few questions, not interrogated though, if they are up there, they will be baptized (more likely their baby for baptisms though), or confirmed, or affirmed.... They are asked to make certain promises to God and the church, and the church makes promises to them. People can also come up to the altar to pray during this time, without doing anything else.

Edited by CathieC

I went to a Christian school in my early elementary years. I was "saved" dozens of times, but only b/c it was basically required. It was so confusing. When I confessed my confusion to my mom she transferred me to a different school. Also, we went to a Southern Baptist "Just As I Am" for as many verses as it takes kinda church, kinda intermittantly...She pretty much told me not to even THINK about taking that walk. Hehe, I guess it gave her the heebie-jeebies even then :).

My children have raised their hands in SS and they have said to me they didn't think it "took"---this breaks my heart.

I totally remember thinking that...

Fwiw, I don't consider myself a Christian today.

My denomination does not ever do them. I wouldn't do it at a school with a diverse Christian population because there are going to be people really, really upset at the idea of their children being pressured into them.

:iagree: I can't stand altar calls myself, blerk, many childhood memories of emotional blackmail and peer pressure.

I think though that in this situation, the most important thing is that you are a school for what I imagine is a very varied school population. I can't imagine it going down well with some school families.

Is it a non-denominational Christian school?

If so, you may want to consider that parents who belong to a number of Christian denominations will be uncomfortable with the idea of an altar call.

Can you put the question out to your school community? Teachers? Parents?

Well, since I am reading Pagan Christianity at your suggestion, I recommend you go back for another look at Chapter 2 (I think). I believe it will both validate your feelings and give you some good talking points on the issue.

Thanks for the book rec, btw. I am finding it most interesting.

I think lots of kids and even teens can, when hearing constant altar calls, feel pressured or repeat the prayer over and over, etc. At the moment a person believes, he or she is saved. Sometimes that person may not even discern exactly when that moment is. For kids raised in Christian homes, there may not be a time when they can remember ever not believing. There is no need for a separate event to be created for them. I come from a theologically conservative, nondenominational tradition.

The bolded is why I sought a church without alter calls to attend with my dds. I felt for a very long time that something was wrong with me that I didn't have that huge, emotional moment when I realized how amazing it all was. I don't remember a time when I didn't believe and my faith becomes stronger as I grow older but I hated feeling like I was missing something when I was younger. I didn't need the constant pressure at the end of every service because I already knew and had accepted.

I think that no matter how you or others feel about it it would not be appropriate in a school setting, when the parents are not there. That is something they should be involved in, or at least witness to.

:iagree:

I think alter calls are totally appropriate with adults. Totally appropriate in a setting with families, with parents there to watch their children go forward. There is something forced IMO, or a power trip type feeling for an adult to be in charge of children in a church setting and then to offer an alter call. I think you're (OP) spot on that kids will go forward because of emotions, by peer pressure etc.

I don't think it's a good idea.

advice?

Well, I think your thoughts answered your own question. I think it's highly manipulative to have an altar call without the parents there unless every. single. parent knows about it and agrees to it.

I think lots of kids and even teens can, when hearing constant altar calls, feel pressured or repeat the prayer over and over, etc. At the moment a person believes, he or she is saved. Sometimes that person may not even discern exactly when that moment is. For kids raised in Christian homes, there may not be a time when they can remember ever not believing. There is no need for a separate event to be created for them. I come from a theologically conservative, nondenominational tradition.

:iagree:Many don't have a specific "moment" when they "know", I don't ever remember not believing. In our church (United Methodist), it's not a specific prayer that one is required to say, nor do you have to "prove" it to anyone, just you & God, if you desire, and weren't baptized as an infant. Most actually have pre-arranged to come up as they have brought family members with them who do not attend our church. Most adults that come up, are transferring membership as they have moved but there are also those that are new believers. But NO interrogation (or I wouldn't be there!).

I have issues with that kind of altar call as well. We do have an invitation, but our pastor doesn't do a heavy-handed appeal or anything like that. We don't even call it an invitation--it's "responding to God's word," and the intent is to provide a time for people to deal with whatever God is laying on their heart to do--repent/respond to something brought up during the service, reconcile with another person, pray for oneself or someone else, etc. People can pray at their seats or up at the front, alone or in a group (or with the pastor)--however God moves. People who come forward to join the church or make public a decision to follow Christ have almost always actually made that decision/had that discussion with the pastor at another time, because that's not the focus of the response time. I like the freedom we have--the "walking the aisle" is not the focus, and I don't know that we'd get much of it if it weren't for the fact that we're in the Bible belt and everybody "knows" that's what happens.

I reeeeaaally have issues with doing an altar call with kids, especially weekly. If God is really drawing a child to Himself for salvation, I think He will make sure that child finds the help/answers/guidance he or she needs. I think it's possible for kids to genuinely be saved, but I think that we as adults have a *huge* responsibility to make sure that kids fully understand what they're doing and are not responding to an emotional (or scary) appeal, following what their friends are doing, or doing it because their family or others expect it. So honestly, in the OP's situation, my answer would be no, but I'd want to talk with the spiritual life director about other ways to help kids who want to choose to follow Christ.

Yes this a non-denominational school. Many of our students are buddhist, hindu, or even atheist but the majority are christian or from a christian home. also, altar calls at this age have not been the norm thus far.

Would all of the students be required to be present at the altar calls? That might be overkill for the buddhists, hindus, and atheists, no?

But... do you already do altar calls with the older kids?

This is interesting.

Yes this a non-denominational school. Many of our students are buddhist, hindu, or even atheist but the majority are christian or from a christian home. also, altar calls at this age have not been the norm thus far.

Wow, considering the diverse background of your students, I think it would be disrespectful of the students that go there who aren't christian.

Would all of the students be required to be present at the altar calls? That might be overkill for the buddhists, hindus, and atheists, no?

But... do you already do altar calls with the older kids?

This is interesting.

All students are required to attend chapel so yes they would be present for the propsoed altar calls. They have not done altar calls with the older kids either but I am not sure if he is doing them now.

I think I have the biggest issue with the parents not being present. Your answers have been very clarifying.

I think that no matter how you or others feel about it it would not be appropriate in a school setting, when the parents are not there. That is something they should be involved in, or at least witness to.

I am Catholic and never heard of an alter call before now ... but I agree with ktgrok!!!!!