Menu

Weirdest thing in your trick-or-treat bags?

My 8 yo son came home with a paper cup. I asked him about it (he'd walked around the n'hood with his best friend and best friend's dad). Apparently he had gotten thirsty, so he had asked at someone's house for water. "Was it someone you knew?" Nope. Just some random nice person in our neighborhood. I love my neighborhood.

Terri

Someone around here gives out scripture.

This was the first year the kids DIDN'T get scripture. They wondered what was up with the people who usually give it out -- have they given up on all of us?

They would've been amused by the Miracle Whip. But these are the kids who, at a party Saturday, handed out "best costume" prizes along the lines of Beefaroni single-serves.

My kids got several bags of pretzels and goldfish. A bag of Doritos. Sticky tattoos. They got a few really good dark chocolates that I quickly claimed as my own. :D

But the most exotic thing they got where these wooden south american painted critters. My daughter got a bobble headed turtle and my son got a snake. They love them! They must have cost a fortune to hand out in our very busy neighborhood. I didn't take the kids out this year (hubby gone, kids went in separate directions). I wish I knew who gave them out!

A can of generic brand soup, biscotti, an orange, a Kreuig (SP?) pod of coffee, and the free stickers the grocery store passes out. It was a weird night!

:lol::lol:

So far you win the weirdest items contest. Oh my!

I forgot to say we also got 2 candy canes. Not sure whether they were recycled or someone was thinking ahead.

Sticker with googly eyes, a full Pez dispenser, a capri sun, and a bag of spicy Doritos.

A friend's kids all got little comic books. So cool. I'm totally doing that next year.

ETA: this is the first year we didn't end up with the handout about chocolate farming and exploitation...

We had a group of 14 kids that went out. They love to come back & spend a lot of time trading, lol. The weirdest things in the bags:

one girl got a rock :lol: -- it was decent sized & was the hit of the evening; it has now become a well-loved 'pet' rock ;)

one boy got a teeny-tiny homemade beaded bracelet that said "Emily"

another girl got an opened, empty bag of pretzels

dd said that a can of soup would be good. My son's friend's mom took ds and her dc over to a friends house in an exclusive neigherhood that is famous for giving out large size candy bars so dd and I were excited to see what he got. Well, he came home with 2 candy bars, he said he decided not to trick or treat and just hung out with the moms. What a bummer, we were looking forward to all those large candy bars lol.

Dd didn't get anything too strange. What surprised me was how many people at the trunk or treat event we went to gave out single mints or single tootsie rolls. Scrooges, all of them. :tongue_smilie: If you sign up in advance to give out candy at the biggest event in town, you've got to do better than a single mint candy. Especially when you're giving it out of the back of your Escalade, lol.

As I was reading all the replies I was thinking, "it must be a sign of the times, the recession and all that..". But on the flip side of that, around here, my dc usually get a lot of the "cheap" candy; smarties, tootsie rolls, gum, etc. This year, they got the good stuff. Not one smarty, tootsie roll, and to their disappointment, not one piece of gum! Lots of chocolate though!

I'm surprised that bags of chips are unusual in some places. It's utterly common here; my dd got 22 bags, including Doritos, potato chips, and Cheezies, this year. :) I think it's a great treat as well as an antidote to all the candy (of which there was still PLENTY).

Often she'll get a juice box or a can of pop; it's not considered weird, just special. Stickers or tattoos occasionally show up as well, which is normal.

She got three full size chocolate bars this year as well as dozens upon dozens of the small variety.

We love it when people give something a little out of the ordinary. One of the best treats this year was a bag of chocolate covered pretzels.

Oh, and the other cool thing was a return to some of the classics. She got 5 mini packs of Chicklets gum, just like I used to get. She was thrilled!

I'm surprised that bags of chips are unusual in some places. It's utterly common here; my dd got 22 bags, including Doritos, potato chips, and Cheezies, this year. :) I think it's a great treat as well as an antidote to all the candy (of which there was still PLENTY).

Often she'll get a juice box or a can of pop; it's not considered weird, just special. Stickers or tattoos occasionally show up as well, which is normal.

She got three full size chocolate bars this year as well as dozens upon dozens of the small variety.

We love it when people give something a little out of the ordinary. One of the best treats this year was a bag of chocolate covered pretzels.

Oh, and the other cool thing was a return to some of the classics. She got 5 mini packs of Chicklets gum, just like I used to get. She was thrilled!

I wonder if the chips/cheesies/etc are more common in Canada… I'm Canadian and chips are everywhere at Halloween.

You know what I miss? The little orange pumpkin gums!

The chips are definitely a Canadian thing. I grew up in California, but my DH is Canadian, and he *always* got bags of chips and mini cans of soda in his trick or treat bag, and I *never* got either of those things. For our church Trunk or Treat a couple of years ago we did a Canadian-themed trunk (one of our Jack-o-Lanterns was carved with the Vancover Olympics rock-thing, and we had a big "Boo! Eh?" ghost, and DH wore his toque) and we gave out chips and soda. All of the parents said they'd never seen anyone give out that kind of stuff. :lol:

well it wasn't weird, but the most unusal thing my kids received was $5. they went to one house and the man said, "i don't have any candy here... all i have is money". he pulled out a huge wad of cash and was giving out $5 bills to all of the children. i just can't imagine how much he spent that night!!! the kids were all thrilled!

We got delicious clementines and small cans of play doh.

...but I once read a news story about a group of elderly sisters who would hand out $20 bills on halloween :blink:. The reason this was in the paper was that when one of the sisters died, the other sisters placed her body on the floor... and left her there... while she mummified over the course of several years. I'm not sure how or why the body was discovered by outsiders but it was determined she died of natural causes.

We gave out Capri-Suns, pencils and spider rings this year. My son said kids were pretty excited about the non-traditional treats. I just didn't want leftover candy in the house, and the Capri-Suns will get used in sack lunches. It was cheaper then bags of candy too! I will definitely do that again next year.

My mom always has a game at her house. One year it was a pinata, one year it was a bean bag toss, this year it was ducks in a pool. She gives out little toys for prizes and everyone gets a piece of candy. Kids line up at her house and parents can't wait to see what she has planned for the year. It's really cute.

We did not get any weird stuff this year. One year we had beanie babies. I love the can of soup. Awesome.

We ran out of Halloween candy one year and I had to pull starlight mints out of the pantry.