Menu

Perceptions of poverty

I participated but there were a few that I had trouble answering. I didn't think that being without a microwave was impoverished, but I did think without a refrigerator is - and they were in the same question.

I had a hard time with that too. Since I thought a frig was necessary, I answered in that manner.

Good point, I'll mention it to her.

I couldn't answer most of the questions. I needed a "maybe" or "other." (Oh, I've gotten spoiled here, I guess. ;)) A person without a cell phone may or may not be impoverished. A person without a car may or may not be impoverished. A person *with* a car or cell phone may or may not be impoverished.

I don't know. I have some hippie, live-off-the-land friends who don't have TVs or cars or air-conditioning by choice but are not impoverished. I also know some very impoverished people who have cell phones and TVs, but not much else. So I really couldn't figure out how to answer most of the questions, although I did want to.

A few I could answer, like access to nutritious food and reasonable shelter. But the other things would really all depend on the specific circumstances a person was in. An impoverished person might lack a washer/dryer, but a person who was not impoverished but happened to live in an apartment without a washer/dryer hook up might also lack them. I can't determine if lacking a washer/dryer means somebody is impoverished.

I participated but there were a few that I had trouble answering. I didn't think that being without a microwave was impoverished, but I did think without a refrigerator is - and they were in the same question.

I agree and didn't continue with the poll. The questions weren't narrow enough.

Ann

I also had trouble with the microwave/fridge question, but I answered impoverished because I believe a fridge is necessary.

I get there had to be divisions made, but $0-$20,000 is huge. I know it depends on where one lives, though, along with some other factors including family size and such.

It was interesting to read the results :D

I need to know what "do not have access to" MEANS before I can respond. Does it mean it's available somewhere, but you don't have money? Does it mean you don't have the means to get to the place that offers it? Does it mean you don't qualify? Does it mean someone won't give it to you?

:iagree:

Honestly though, the one I had the hardest time with was air conditioning. In the Northern U.S. (or in Germany, where I lived in relative comfort without a/c), it would not be a problem. In Texas, it could be a life-threatening issue during the hottest parts of the summer.

Honestly though, the one I had the hardest time with was air conditioning. In the Northern U.S. (or in Germany, where I lived in relative comfort without a/c), it would not be a problem. In Texas, it could be a life-threatening issue during the hottest parts of the summer.

Hard to say. We've had some elderly people die in Michigan during the summer because of the heat. We have cold winters, but we also have summers with very humid, 100+ degree heat waves, and those can be dangerous for elderly or sick people who don't have either a/c or the means to get to one of the cooling centers that get set up to provide relief for those without a/c.

Done :)

I answered all the questions specifically trying NOT to overthink them… ie: if you don't have kitchen appliances, in most average Canadian homes, then yes, you would be "impoverished" … true, some may not have them by choice, but for the most part that isn't the case.

ditto for the washer/dryer - if you don't have those, or don't have *access to them* (ability to use the laundromat, etc) then you'd likely be considered "impoverished" ..this is different than if you CHOOSE not to have them while living "off the grid" or something unusual like that.

impoverished meaning "poor" .. low income.. probably on assistance… or homeless… etc etc.

Lol, my dd just asked if I would post this here so she could get more adult answers! (They were in apush together last year, I'm not a crazy stalker, Hi!)

I don't know. I have some hippie, live-off-the-land friends who don't have TVs or cars or air-conditioning by choice but are not impoverished. I also know some very impoverished people who have cell phones and TVs, but not much else. So I really couldn't figure out how to answer most of the questions, although I did want to.

A few I could answer, like access to nutritious food and reasonable shelter. But the other things would really all depend on the specific circumstances a person was in. An impoverished person might lack a washer/dryer, but a person who was not impoverished but happened to live in an apartment without a washer/dryer hook up might also lack them. I can't determine if lacking a washer/dryer means somebody is impoverished.

We took this to mean that in YOUR opinion, is someone who lacks XX impoverished, i.e. are they lacking something someone wealthier may have and is it a sure sign that they cannot afford it. If someone is sitting in a laundromat, someone else could consider them impoverished. When dd was young, her friends felt so bad for her because she was so poor she didn't have cable. In reality, we didn't really watch TV, so I didn't care. As she was older, they thought we couldn't afford a cell phone, so again, they just assumed we were poor and felt bad for her.

I'm thinking about this way too hard.

Hard to say. We've had some elderly people die in Michigan during the summer because of the heat. We have cold winters, but we also have summers with very humid, 100+ degree heat waves, and those can be dangerous for elderly or sick people who don't have either a/c or the means to get to one of the cooling centers that get set up to provide relief for those without a/c.

Oh, for sure. I was in Germany for the heat wave of 2003 and people were dying all over Europe from the heat. However, it was uncommon for houses to have a/c so it wasn't an issue of poverty but of typical weather patterns. In a place like TX that is guaranteed scorching hot for many successive months during the summer (pretty much May-Sep), it is uncommon (virtually unheard of) for houses to lack a/c, so it would be more likely to be an issue of poverty. Does that make sense?

I'm from PHX. There were plenty of people here and all over the world who live(d) in very hot temps (humid and dry) without air conditioning. People in hot climates learn to live in heat. It's those who don't know how or who have other serious medical issues that die in the heat when air goes out.

:iagree:Here in northern ME, no one has air conditioning. We don't really need it for more than a day or three a year.

I probably skewed the poll because I really said "disagree" with everything. I could see circumstances where a person/family was not impoverished but they did not have the material things listed. I have friends who don't have a 'fridge and do not need one. They live very off the grid. I even disagreed with the medical care and access question. I think it has too much to do with location.

I had trouble with income levels because I felt the need to know family size. $20,000 for just me? Hmm...I might be able to make that work if I had medical insurance. Definitely not for a family of four, though.

You're also going to be getting answers from all over the country, which will very much affect answers.

On what we make now, we are pretty comfortable where we live. We'd be doing very well in some parts of the country. We'd be scraping to get by (if we were able to get by at all) in the parts of the northeast where we grew up.

I answered the poll. I agree with twoforjoy, though, in that the wording of the questions makes for an inaccurate picture. For example, some people may not wish to have a car and how severe an impediment this is depends on where you live and what you would need to drive for. I have three kids and live on a major road; I would be severely hampered without a car. I cannot walk or ride a bike to a grocery store. I cannot safely take my children beyond my driveway without a car.

Even the income-range question poses a problem. One man's wealthy is another man's Nobody-Could-Survive-on-So-Little. When I was single and childless, I made a small salary, in the low range of your poll, but I did not consider myself "poor." I had food to eat, a rental townhouse I shared with a friend and health insurance. If I had three kids, though, it would have been tough to make it on that income alone.

The kitchen question is difficult, too, because of the pairing of "microwave" with "refrigerator and oven". I've lived with no microwave a couple of times; it was no big deal. I lacked a fridge once when mine spontaneously combusted (seriously; it was smoking!) and that was a pain in the neck. To me, "poverty" would mean that I had no avenue for replacing the torched refrigerator.

Six pack of fun,

Hi, this is Megan, Holly's daughter. I looked back at my poll and the question that uses the phrase "don't have access to" are questions 7 and 8 (having access to internet and nutritious food). The question about the internet was meant to mean having the money to pay for Internet access. Number 8 also means that the person has enough money to buy nutritious food.

I had trouble with the income answers as well. For an independent person or for a family the size of mine? I think there are different possibilities. So, I said the next-to highest range, even though I think that's not at all impoverished for singles or couples.

Six pack of fun,

Hi, this is Megan, Holly's daughter. I looked back at my poll and the question that uses the phrase "don't have access to" are questions 7 and 8 (having access to internet and nutritious food). The question about the internet was meant to mean having the money to pay for Internet access. Number 8 also means that the person has enough money to buy nutritious food.

Who's definition of "nutritious?" My ideal of nutritious food is all organic, clean, local, sustainable. Even with my husband making way above the national poverty level we can't afford to buy nutritious food.

As far as the last income goes, it's hard to answer because of difference in cost of living and family size and other expenses. Less than 20 K was fine when DH and I were both grad students in an area with cheap apartments and a good public transit system. But it would seem pretty impoverished now.

I had trouble with the income answers as well. For an independent person or for a family the size of mine? I think there are different possibilities. So, I said the next-to highest range, even though I think that's not at all impoverished for singles or couples.

That is the same answer I choose. Making 40k-60k with a family of 12, would make one impoverished.

I'm from PHX. There were plenty of people here and all over the world who live(d) in very hot temps (humid and dry) without air conditioning. People in hot climates learn to live in heat. It's those who don't know how or who have other serious medical issues that die in the heat when air goes out.

Right. Obviously it is possible and many people do or have done it. However, the poll pertained to poverty. In most hot climates in the United States in this day and age, a lack of a/c would be an issue of poverty, not of not knowing hot to live without it.

I read most of the questions of "no access" meaning not having the ability to get. I thought they were impoverished without food and basic medical care (not insurance, care), but I didn't think they were without cars, washer/dryer, internet, cell phone, etc. I WISH I could live a simplier life without some of those things that, in my opinion, complicate our lives.

Hi, this is Megan again! You're right, that is an oversight by me and my team. We should have specified the number of people the five incomes were meant to cover.

I answered it but I think I might have responded differently than most because I am not American, so things like the health care one, to me it should not be an issue whether you are impoverished or not because it is free for everyone. At the same time I think by standards out here I would be considered pretty close to impoverished but I still have a cell phone, car, house, fridge etc. I don't feel impoverished but when you look at actual income, compared to cost of living, number of kids etc I am very very much below the poverty line. I am not homeless, etc but I also am living in poverty kwim. So I responding thinking about it from the point of view of the life I am living rather than thinking of those random poor folks in the inner city kwim'

Are we talking about an individual income or an income to support a family?

Are we talking about America?

A lot of those things we choose not to have, so it isn't really about income.

ETA: Ok, I took it as best I could and then looked at the results and it looks like I answered very similarly to others.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

i solved this one by answering for where i live now. here, it is life-threatening without it, so i said "yes"; heat, not so much ;).

i am glad they are thinking about it, talking about it, asking about it in school.

ann

Compared to the world I think the poorest person in North America is quite well off. I answered the poll from that perspective.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of this world. If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

Quoted from here

Interesting poll. The only ones I really thought made you absolutely impoverished (in pretty much any case, at least any case I can think of right now) would be if you did not have access to nutritious food nor reasonable shelter. I think you could be fine (as in, not suffering) without access to medical care if you don't need medical care, and I think you could get along without a fridge, at least short-term, if you live near a market and shop frequently/don't eat a lot of foods that need to be kept cold (I could see a vegan getting along without a fridge). People did that for many years, shopped at a market daily and didn't have a fridge, but to thrive, people really do need a decent shelter and food.

I hope her project goes well!

Some have mentioned how most people, even those considered impoverished in the USA, are much better off then those in other countries. While that may be true on some levels, it is not a fair comparison. We are not in those countries. We live here. You can not easily get away with not having electricity or a phone line or reliable transportation. You need those things to function in this society, but you don't need them in others. There is a cost to living here, and that cost is getting harder for many to bare.

Done!

There were a few I really had to think about.

1 - I checked "no" on the one about the microwave, oven and refrigerator because the word "and" was included. I don't think lack of a microwave means someone is impoverished. However, the lack of refrigeration would be a serious issue, as would the lack of an oven. The biggest problem was that I think someone needs access to these two items, but doesn't need to own them. Renting a room and having access is good. Renting an apartment where they are provided is good. Owning them is not necessary.

2 - The question about the air conditioning should have been related to the environment. Perhaps asking about heating & cooling adequate for the climate would have been better.

3 - The question about income is dependent upon too many factors: location and size of family are the primary ones that come to mind.

You are impoverished if you don't own a car.

Where I live - with wide open spaces and many rural homes, long distances between shops - a car is pretty necessary. In the city, not so much. I voted impoverish on this because of where I live. If I lived in a large city, I would see a vehicle as more of an expensive luxery.

You are impoverished if you don't have air conditioning.

I voted no on this one. I think the 13% who voted yes must be from the south. Here it doesn't get hot enough to make it necessary.

You are impoverished if you don't have a microwave, oven, and refrigerator.

I voted yes on this one because of the refrigerator. A microwave is a luxury, though.

You are impoverished if you don't have a clothes washer and dryer.

I voted no on this one as I know people who don't have room for a washer/dryer in their apt. or home. I do think laudromats are an expensive pain, though, and don't consider washer and dryers luxury items - somewhere between luxury and necessary. I'm not sure where to draw that line. More towards necessary for the washer, more towards luxury for the dryer.

You are impoverished if you don't have access to medical care.

I wasn't sure how to define access here.

Which of the following income ranges do you think marks the highest yearly income someone in poverty can have?

Where I live 20,000 or less. I answered higher than that though, because I live in a fairly low COLA.

I wasn't very consistent in my answers. Some I answered for my area only. Some I answered for the country as a whole.

I couldn't finish the poll. Microwave and oven are one thing, a refridgerator will depend upon where one lives and how often one is able to get to a store. The same thing goes with air conditioning. Certain people, in certain areas NEED it. I also would not be able to answer the income part, as that depends upon the economy of the area and each area varies.

I took it and think that income and a lot of those factors really depend on where you live. If I lived in a city, not having a car would not make me impoverished - public transportation is readily available. Now, if you lived in the country, not having a car could easily lead to unemployment because you couldn't get to your job. Similarly with air conditioning. I live in MN and a lot of people in our town living in older houses don't have air conditioning. Yes, it gets really hot in the summer, but it is fairly short lived. That in itself does not make one impoverished.

Also, money goes much father depending where you live. On our income up here, we are doing OK, but if we lived in a similar southern town, we would be fairly wealthy with a huge house, new cars, etc. As it is right now, we are below the 50% income range in our town. When we were in Texas 13 years ago, $20K for two people was very doable. The same amount in MN would have put us at the poverty level. So, it really depends where you live.

Beth

I had a very difficult time with the last question because people's personal circumstances can vary so much. A young, healthy, childless individual in a cheap area could get by okay on a relatively low income, while another person might need double or triple that amount because of health problems or high housing costs or having children, etc.

We don't have a television or microwave by choice. We could afford them if we wanted them, though. We live in a good neighborhood near the downtown area of our rural city. We have a neighbor family that no longer has a refrigerator and go through the school trash cans next to our house. I don't know if they can't afford a new one or if they just aren't interested in getting another one. They have nothing physically or mentally wrong with them.

I had a very difficult time with the last question because people's personal circumstances can vary so much. A young, healthy, childless individual in a cheap area could get by okay on a relatively low income, while another person might need double or triple that amount because of health problems or high housing costs or having children, etc.

Good point. I was only considering a family of 6 or 7. I didn't think of how much less a couple or single person would need to live above poverty.

I completed the poll as well and problems answering 3 questions:

You are impoverished if you don't have a microwave, oven, and refrigerator.

I voted AGREED although I would consider a microwave a luxury. Oven and refrigerator are necessities, microwave oven is not.

You are impoverished if you don't have air conditioning.

I voted DISAGREE based on where I live now (the north). I was born and grew up in the Florida, and 7 years ago we were living in San Antonio, TX. Air Conditioning would be a necessity there and thus I would have answered differently if I still lived in the south.

You are impoverished if you don't have access to medical care.

I left this one unanswered. I wasn't really sure how to interpret this or how to respond.

Good luck with your project! :001_smile:

:iagree: A microwave is a luxury, in my opinion, not a basic necessity. As for the income levels, $0 to $20k was a little broad. Around here, you can live just fine on $20,000. Also the income levels should be based on a certain number of people in the household.