Menu

When did your child switch from glasses to contacts?

DD is 13 and pretty responsible. She's worn glasses for years. I'd like to let her get contacts, but DH doesn't think she's ready. It's made me wonder what other parents allow. I started wearing them when I was 15, but they were more expensive and more work back then. DD likes the idea, but is not begging for them.

When did/will you allow your child to start wearing contacts?

Flossy age 7 has been asking for them for ages, she's very mature and responsible. Last month we saw the ophthalmologist and we spoke about it. Her Dr doesn't recommend contacts as a permanent solution ever. She said certainly not until 13 or so and then only for special occasions. Once she is an adult more regular wear would be acceptable. Dr said that eyes can be damaged from contacts, they can even make you blind, so really not a good recommendation for a child in her opinion.

DD is 13 and pretty responsible. She's worn glasses for years. I'd like to let her get contacts, but DH doesn't think she's ready. It's made me wonder what other parents allow. I started wearing them when I was 15, but they were more expensive and more work back then. DD likes the idea, but is not begging for them.

12ish. I can't remember exactly. It really depends on the child - while his brother was fine with contacts at a younger age, I don't think my 13yo would be ready if he wore glasses.

ETA: Sports was a big factor in why we let him get contacts - sports glasses were too limiting and interfered with playing.

My dd's old eye doctor (before we moved) said he puts kids as young as 8 in contacts, if they wanted it. He said it's usually girls who are into dance or cheerleading who what them that young. I didn't wear contacts til 16, but I also didn't wear glasses until about 12. My dd is now 8 and has been wearing glasses since she was 5. If she wanted contacts I would consider it. However at the moment she thinks she looks silly without her glasses. :tongue_smilie:

I got contacts when I was 12, which was 30-some years ago. My sister, dad and I all got them at the same time. I remember us lined up in the bathroom, with my dad leading, showing us how to take care of them.

If DS needed contacts and was responsible, I would allow as young as 10, probably.

I joke with my family that if they don't want me to haunt them after I die they better not bury me with my glasses on.
My dear aunt wore thick glasses from the time she was five years old. She passed away last year and was buried in decorative, thin glasses. She said she had worn those awful glasses long enough and didn't want to be buried in them.

My two glasses wearers began wearing contacts at age 8 (DD) and 10 (DS). Neither wore them every day at first, and they began wearing them because of dance and sports respectively.

I am a contact lens wearer and have been for decades. They now make daily disposable contacts so the child does not have to learn all the steps to cleaning and care that are necessary with non-disposables. Dirty contacts can cause many eye problems.

Honestly, we have had good experience with them. The kids vision is better with contacts than glasses, there is nothing to break or lose, and the kids were easily able to learn how to put them in and take them out.

I got contacts at 13. I had been wearing glasses since I was 7, and my eyesight is terrible, I have to wear correction in some form all the time.

Contacts, the solutions, everything is much better, more comfortable and easier than it used to be. My aunt could not wear contacts for a long time because her eyes were not getting enough oxygen. However, she can wear today's contacts.

Amber, is your dd's eye doctor older? When I first started wearing contacts you were told that you could only wear them x hours per day, you needed to let your eyes rest, etc. But, the contacts now are so much better that my eye doctors within the last ten years have said it is no longer a problem.

None of my kids need glasses yet, thank goodness! But, I would allow my kids to get them at 13.

Eta: I *will* say that glasses are much better than they used to be too. They have developed the materials so much that they are much thinner than they used to be, even with a strong prescription like mine. They also have glasses with elastic band that are made for sports, prescription snorkeling masks, etc.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Our eye doctor began wearing contacts when he was eight.

My youngest began wearing contacts when he was nine, at the doctor's suggestion. He is now 11. His prescriptions were so different in each eye, that the doctor said it would greatly help his coordination. He has had no trouble.

It took some convincing by the doctor to let us try them with our 9 year old. I was mostly concerned with hygene. We made a big deal about explaining how important it was to have clean hands and went over the proper hand washing technique. We also threatened that if he got an infection, he would be back in glasses.

My older son began wearing contacts at 11. No problem there either. He is very nearsighted and once he tried contacts there was no going back.

Chris in SC

I began wearing contacts at age 12 after wearing glasses for about three years. I begged my parents for them. I was very responsible with them. My kids don't wear glasses, but if I had a child in your dd's position, I would get her contacts.

I recommend the two week disposable variety. This way, if and when she loses one, it is not a terrible expense to replace it. I've worn these for years. Although the eye doc doesn't recommend this, I wear them for much longer than two weeks (like 2 months) until they don't feel right before tossing them. They last a REALLY long time this way. This works only if your prescription stays stable, which mine has for many years.

My dd is 12 and has been asking for contacts for about two years (has been in glasses about 4). We're going to do it soon, probably before she's 13. She's super-responsible and I have been in her shoes... if you feel like glasses make you unattractive, to me it's worth it to do contacts when you can. She isn't vain but she's pretty urgent about this one area. Both dh and I wear contacts, the 2-week kind.

My ds started wearing them at 10. His eye doctor really encouraged it. His vision is crisper, and he really couldn't play tennis with glasses. I played tennis with glasses, but it was such a distraction for him. The rec specs are a great idea, but the curved edges really magnified everything and made him queasy.

We bought the daily disposable and he has done great with them.

Eta- I really like the word really! Sorry!

My one dd got them about age 14. At 12 her younger sister wanted them - but at the eye doctor she could not get them in, even after almost an hour trying. Same problem the following year. Now, at 15, she has them and wears them everyday. If the kid seems mature enough to take care of them, let them try. They may or may not be able to get them in and wear them (in which case new pretty frames are a consolation.) Both girls have the two-week disposable ones - it is what the eye doc. recommends.

My older son, CollegeMan, doesn't even want to try contacts. He likes his nerdy glasses. (I am in glasses, too - decades age I had contacts, but could never wear them for long if the air was dry or there was a hint of wind - probably the contacts made now might work better, but I can't afford them AND contacts for the kids!)

Edited by JFSinIL

I got contacts at 13 (doctor's suggestion) and my dd got contacts at 13 (her request).

Dd has the kind of contacts that are intended to be thrown out after two weeks of daily wear. I have to keep on top of this a bit, because a couple of family members said, "Oh, two weeks is bunk. I can wear MINE for at least 4-6 weeks before I have to toss them." A while back, dd's eyes got really irritated. I inquired about the last time she changed out her contacts, and was not happy to hear the answer, "About two MONTHS." :glare:

Flossy age 7 has been asking for them for ages, she's very mature and responsible. Last month we saw the ophthalmologist and we spoke about it. Her Dr doesn't recommend contacts as a permanent solution ever. She said certainly not until 13 or so and then only for special occasions. Once she is an adult more regular wear would be acceptable. Dr said that eyes can be damaged from contacts, they can even make you blind, so really not a good recommendation for a child in her opinion.

I know many people, including myself, that got contacts before the age of 13. No permanent eye damage. :confused: I didn't just wear them for parties. I wore them everyday, all day. Your Dr. is very conservative.

If they aren't properly cleaned, then one can get a bad eye infection. I wouldn't have been comfortable with my kids wearing them at 7 because it is too likely they wouldn't take care of them and fall asleep in them.

that was when gas perm lenses were new and very expensive. My younger sister's both got soft contacts at 12.

Have you taken your dd into the eye doctor to sample some contacts? My office has disposable samples that anyone can just come in and try to see if they like them. If she can put them in and take them out with ease she's ready.

I've work contacts daily for 25 years. I have no damage and I'm not blind. I think the Dr. is misinformed.

I somewhat disagree. My aunt *years* ago (I have worn contacts for 25 years too, my aunt is quite a bit older than me) started having problems because her eyes were not getting enough oxygen. She was told she has to stop wearing contacts or it could lead to blindness. Now, she can wear them again because contacts have changed so much. I would say it is outdated information instead or wrong information.

It's not the wearing them, it's just regular cleaning and using new ones. My dd was better about changing her's when she was young teen.

This is why our eye doctor recommends daily disposables for kids. No tracking, you start with a new pair each day. All you have to do is make sure they get removed each night.

I got glasses at age five. I was nine when I started wearing contacts, and I've been wearing them almost exclusively ever since. The past 10 years I've been wearing the two-week disposables, but like others here I've often extended wear for upwards of two months.

My eye doctor is relatively young (30s), and very progressive in her treatment approaches. She keeps current on everything, attends workshops and conferences, and generally stays on top of new information in her field. She is fascinated by the eye, and has a real passion for her profession. She does a more thorough exam than most people expect, and than many other doctors offer. She's a tech geek, too, and her office reflects that!

She's shown me film of the damage done to my eyes by lack of oxygen; not just from wearing contacts for so many years, but from not wearing them (the disposables) properly (as intended). I've always purchased the newest, latest, greatest contact lens, at her recommendation. I'm the only one in my family with this problem, and am also the only one in the family who has worn contacts almost exclusively for twenty plus years. We all have poor eyesight, but my other family has balanced their use of contacts with eyeglasses.

I think Amber's opth is conservative, but is maybe progressively so -if that makes sense. I'm inclined to believe he's not relying on outdated information so much as he is not relying too heavily on updated technology. I respect his approach, and it's pretty close to what I (now) consider appropriate.

Just a few months ago I purchased some glasses, and I'm now wearing at night and a few days each week. I can't undo damage already done, but I can head off the progression of what's already done. My eyes are about 20 years 'older' than the rest of my body, in terms of general aging. I'm walking around with the eyes of a middle-aged grandparent! My film shows that my eyes are worse off than are my mom's, and she's alternated glasses and contacts for longer than I've been alive.

I'd let a responsible kid of any age wear contacts, but I'd stay on top of their habits - making sure they changed them out regularly, not having them sleep in them as regular habit (sleepovers, campouts excluded), and ensuring they wore glasses throughout the week also.

Edited by eternalknot

they were in high school when they wanted to switch.

How 'clean' is she? does she wash her hands regularly without being reminded?, clean-up after herself in the bathroom? neatly groom without reminders, etc?

You want to consider what her cleanliness habits are now, and not something that would have to be added/changed. One nasty eye-infection could change her vision forever. (and even people who are "clean" can get them.)

One ds was 10yo, the other was 11yo. No regrets at all. It made all the difference in the world for them. Their glasses were so thick they distorted how they viewed the size of things, so they can see much better with contacts than they could with glasses. I was shocked when the doctor suggested that 10yo was old enough for contacts, but we've never had any problems (and I did not consider either of my contact-wearing boys "responsible." They're boys.) Really it was one of the best decisions we ever made for them. Dd was 15yo because her eyes weren't as bad as her brothers' and it hadn't occurred to me that young people could do well with contacts until the doctor talked me into it for my sons. In hindsight I wish we had gotten them sooner for her because she's always been very active.

Personally, wearing glasses drives me crazy. I have to keep track of them. It's difficult to play sports in them. In the summer, I sweat and they slide down my nose. My eyes aren't that bad, so I just choose not to wear anything unless I'm driving, but some of my kids don't have that option. Contacts are a huge blessing for them.

I think that 13 is fine; I'd do disposable. I get mine by finding the best price, and then calling 1-800-contacts for a "price match" It's not a bad price after figuring in solution and cleaner and then when one rips or pops out... not as much $$$ to lose. I think that by doing disposable, you can let them wear them earlier. Also, this helps if there are any allergies...etc. Just encourage her to listen when they tell her about care/eyes, and also to carry spare contacts and also her glasses. :) Really, it helps them with self esteem if they don't like their glasses :)

I've work contacts daily for 25 years. I have no damage and I'm not blind. I think the Dr. is misinformed.

I've worn contacts as long--since I turned 16. How would I know if I had damage? I've always had an astigmatism and that seems worse lately (I'm almost 41.) Now need reading glasses.My doctor told me that it happens to everyone about this age, but my sister (who has never worn contacts) made it to 50+ without needing them. It does make me wonder.

I've also heard of lots of people not being able to wear their contacts any more when they hit their forties. I plan to make my kids wait a little longer (13 should be fine) and encourage them to go without them as much as possible. I wish I had done that.

I got mine in the 80's, and they are much improved now. I also used to put mine in upon waking and took them out right before bed. No one ever told me I shouldn't until more recently.

One thing to consider is the time of year you acquire the contacts if you are prone to hay fever in the fall or spring. Pollen that you are allergic to and contacts are a miserable combination and it would be better to have some experience with the contacts first so you know that they are not the problem.

I would think 13 would be fine if you can get disposible and she trades off with the glasses. I got my first contacts at 15, tried to wear them for a week gave up due to unbearable pain! I tried again at 25 and same thing. I now couldn't imagine ever giving up my glasses!

If your DH is dead set against them then you might suggest getting her perscription sunglasses as a trade off. My wish to wear sunglasses is what made me try contacts in the first place.

My son has been wearing contacts the entire time. He never wear glasses except for at night. I think he got them at age 10. He had to show that he could put them in and take them out all by himself three times before he could leave the optometrist's office. He has always cared for them himself. He is very responsible.

My friend's son got them at the same age.

My son plays soccer, so contact lenses are much better than glasses.

One thing to consider is the time of year you acquire the contacts if you are prone to hay fever in the fall or spring. Pollen that you are allergic to and contacts are a miserable combination and it would be better to have some experience with the contacts first so you know that they are not the problem.

:iagree:

DD1's optometrist wants her in contacts by the time she's 10 to cut down on distortion from her one thick lens. She has amblyopia and has a 7 point difference between her eyes. I worry about it though. She is my space cadet. I'm not sure she'd pay enough attention and tell us when she had something in her eye, etc.

My dd got contacts when she was 10. She did great with them. She's 12 now and as she goes through puberty, her eyesight is switching (probably from one extreme to the other, like her dad), so at the moment, she doesn't need any correction, but will likely go back to contacts when she does. She's an athlete, and dealing with glasses was definitely interfering.

:iagree:

And as an aside, do they even make non-disposable lenses any more? :001_huh: I haven't seen them since I can't remember when.

Yes, they still make gas permeable lenses. I got them when I was 14, which was 17 years ago. I need to replace them about every 2 years, which is when they begin to warp and I notice a difference in vision.

My dd got contacts at 9. She is a gymnast and is significantly near sighted. Wearing glasses while doing gymnastics just doesn't work and she couldn't see the judges signal her to start an event without them. Our Optometrist said it was fine but fewer than 10% of kids at that age who tried contacts kept them. She never had a problem. I never touched them. She put them in took them out without issues.

On the other hand ds is 14 and still wears glasses. He didn't want or need contacts early and I didn't think he could handle it. The next time he asks we'll let him try.

That is hugely outdated information. Contacts are perfectly safe if cared for properly. I've been wearing them for 25 years and my eyes are pristine.