Menu

FIL wants to help teach, but dosen't like our crriculum choice

I have been blessed with a simi-non-disfuntional in-law family who is very supportive of our homeschooling their only grandchildren/nephews. My fil is a HUGE history buff, and he really wants to be involved with teaching the boys (he lives 5 minutes away.) He mentioned this when we were over there yesterday. He believes very strongly that our history should be American-centric, and did not at all like the idea of it coming up only once every 4 years (we plan to follow the WTM 4 year course.) His exact words were "That scares me." His reason is that too few American students know the history of their country well.

Right now our only focus in history to give ds the idea that things were not always they way they are now. I'm buying some picture books that were recommended on here. Also, I intend to go over the history in "What your Kindergartener Should Know." And then start in with SOTW and the Ancients next fall.

Does anyone on here have experience with teaching American history at the same time as SOTW? I imagine the American history would have little to no context. Would not teaching both at the same time be confusing? If you've done this, what curriculum for the American history did you use?

Does anyone have any advice about helping fil feel good about my choices? I am sure he would read the history part of WTM if I asked him to, but I doubt it would change his mind.

Please help!

Ooo ... that's a hard one! If it were almost any other subject, I'd default to his choice. Personally, I find lack of most American's understanding of World History and American History from that context more scary. America was not created in a vacuum.

I think I might do SOTW on my own and let him do American History however he wants at regular invervals. We have kind of done this - we regularly read aloud American related books and attend historical re-enactments, etc that jump ahead to American History. I actually got a long read aloud to do this year with short stories through American history. It hasn't seemed to confuse my kids. It might help even more to make a time line and mark your SOTW events and the American History events he covers on the same time line.

Well, you will cover American History during years 3 and 4. Chapter 3 of SOTW Vol. 3 is about Jamestown. So you will actually spend two years learning about American history, not one. If you wait to begin SOTW until 1st grade then your history cycle will work out nicely -- you'll do exactly three 4-year rotations. You don't have to begin formal history in kindergarten.

I would let him teach what he wants, as long as it doesn't conflict with your values, and continue to teach SOTW on your own. If I remember correctly, SOTW only hits the Revolutionary War/forming of the Constitution, the Civil War, and the Civil Rights movement. In my opinion, it is not adequate as an American History curric, though it is an excellent World History curric.

Maybe you could do some research and find some American History resources you like, and then show them to him and see if there's one that he would enjoy using.

ETA: I just saw your kids' ages and agree with Jean. :) Personally, I would also save SOTW until your oldest is in 1st.

I think this might be a fairly easy one. On SOTW years 1 and 2 have your FIL do American history pertaining to the holidays...this would be about right for K anyway. He can also give your child a good overview of the history of the US....very broad overview, but still: colonial period, Revolutionary period, etc. Just enough so your child can sort of see the progression. This could be done by learning about certain presidents, for example. Just give FIL enough to cover in years 1 and 2 and then let him have a blast during years 3 and 4.

How much does he know about the 4 year classical history cycle? To do history chronologically helps it to make more sense to people. When you jump around its hard to see it as a whole. I fully agree with him that the average persons knowledge of American History is, well, lacking :001_huh: but I fully attribute that to the way most schools jump around. When you learn it chronologically it really helps pull it all together and it to all make sense. Kinda like looking at a 1,000 piece puzzle. If you were to look at 25 pieces from a top corner. Then 140 from the middle. Then 200 from the left border and 23 from the right border you get really confused. But when you start at one end (ancients) and go forth it makes sense and is beautiful. Maybe try to show him how history comes alive and is so clear when done chronologically. There were things as an adult I had not clue of because of how I was taught. There were historical people I had no clue lived at the same time period because of how I was taught. I hated history now I find it fascinating!!

My son was fascinated with American history during grades 1-3. It had no relevance or relation to our (world) history studies at that time, but I encouraged him to read historical fiction, reference books, and more from that era. He must have watched Johnny Tremain a million times during those years, and read the book just as frequently. The context may not have been there, but at that age ... I think that's okay, and maybe even expected for some kids.

His interest has waned some, but now that we're entering our first SOTW3/Early Modern study period things are starting to click. His familiarity with the era is already making for some really good, interesting conversations and it's given depth to our studies. I plan to do SOTW3 and follow it with American History, all in one year. I'm not well-versed enough in American history to know what's what, so I went off the recommendation of IRL friends and the final stamp of approval of my husband. We'll be using two books from a series written for/by Catholics. I don't recall the name off-hand.

I think you can get some really good US History into the day outside of a textbook, while staying the SOTW course. Maybe you and FIL can compromise, sort of, by inviting FIL to do little unit studies with your student. Not explicitly teaching US History, but providing repeated exposure to national biggies. Unit studies could revolve around national holidays, a states' study, or a plain old chronological outline from founding through today. Leave it to FIL, or guide him the direction you'd like him to go.

I'm not super-rigorous so YMMV, but I'd place higher value on the grandfather-teacher relationship and experience than I would the academic aspect ... especially in the younger grades. I hope you can find a solution that works!

Well, you will cover American History during years 3 and 4. Chapter 3 of SOTW Vol. 3 is about Jamestown. So you will actually spend two years learning about American history, not one. If you wait to begin SOTW until 1st grade then your history cycle will work out nicely -- you'll do exactly three 4-year rotations. You don't have to begin formal history in kindergarten.

But, PiP, can you see Grandpa, the history buff, waiting until the 4.5 yo is in 3rd grade to start American History with him? I can't! That's five-ish years from now...

Or mebbe you were saying to tell Gpa to knock himself out now (stories and such) cuz she wouldn't get to AmerHist anyway until 3rd grade.

??

In K, I did a world geography tour and about 6 weeks of American history--we read about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and so on. Then we started SOTW in 1st. Perhaps your FIL could have fun doing K-level American history this year, and then scale that back while you concentrate on SOTW 1 and 2 after that.

I would totally take advantage of his offer to help and his excitement about the subject - which hopefully your kids will catch! I wouldn't worry at all about it confusing the kids or it having no context, etc. One thing that might help is using a timeline, even if it is just for the Ancients. They'd get the idea of time and historical events, and you could just tell them that American history is "on down the time line hundreds of years" or whatever. I don't think it's too important, really. They'll get the concept that American history was a long time ago, but Ancient history was a LONG LONG time ago.

Since your kids are young, I think I'd just use something simple and fun using mostly library books so it'll be free. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time doing a lot of reading aloud. So take advantage of gramps on this one and have him over 2-3 times/week to read books on early American history to the kids and maybe do some simple map work, or color pictures of historical figures while he reads biographies to them. I think you are incredibly lucky to have him offer this! Maybe this year you could focus on Native Americans and Europeans coming to the New World. Next year do Colonial America, etc. Have the kids watch some documentaries or movies (Johnny Tremain) on Friday nights. They'll learn a ton of American history this way (which IS important) and you won't have to worry too much about it! I wouldn't have them do writing or tests or anything schoolish like that. Just let him do reading and fun projects, any field trips he wants to do, etc. Very cool.

And p.s. I don't know that I'd suggest he read TWTM - I think you're right that he won't change his mind if he feels that strongly about learning American History!

You might need to remind him of the children's ages and give him an allotted amount of time for whatever he is going to teach. ;) My guess is that he's really ready to teach them jr high or high school level materials. When you have a specialized interest its often hardest to teach the youngest students.

You actually start American history in year 2, with some early america, discovery of America, stuff like that. Then you cover the colonies in year 3, and modern history in year 4. So you study it for 3 years, just in the context of world history. I bet if you explain it that way to him he will be more comfortable. That said, I think it would be GREAT for him to supplement it. So when you get to a topic in SOTW give him a heads up and let him fill in on that subject. Or have him supplement using American holidays. We do that. We do a mini unit study each year around thanksgiving, and around Columbus Day, Memorial Day, President's day, etc. I don't think he will hurt anything. And let the kids put what they learn in their timeline so they have context for it later.

I have been blessed with a simi-non-disfuntional in-law family who is very supportive of our homeschooling their only grandchildren/nephews. My fil is a HUGE history buff, and he really wants to be involved with teaching the boys (he lives 5 minutes away.) He mentioned this when we were over there yesterday. He believes very strongly that our history should be American-centric, and did not at all like the idea of it coming up only once every 4 years (we plan to follow the WTM 4 year course.) His exact words were "That scares me." His reason is that too few American students know the history of their country well.

Try this:

Agree with him on his central point and then go on, "That's what gets to me too. The other thing I have a real problem with is that they don't understand our country in the context of history either! They don't know where we got much of our inspiration and even names like "senate" or "Philadephia" from. They don't know how to fit our nation into the geography, politics and history of the world at all. That's why I'm going very heavy on Ancient and Medieval History for two years, so my kids understand how important not just our country now but the roots it grew from. But you know, you've got a point. They need to learn that but they still need some more frequent exposure to more modern US history. If I gather some resources like folk tales, books and movies, do you think you could help with those and maybe come up with some activities and local sites to flesh them out?"

Don't argue with him, agree with him and frame what you're doing in the context that it IS all about the US. Then let him take the lead on some lighter stuff like folk tales, local geography and events and such. It'll come in handy anyway when you get into US history and he's laid the groundwork.

The other option is to tell him to butt out of course but you seem to welcome his help. :)

Try this:

Agree with him on his central point and then go on, "That's what gets to me too. The other thing I have a real problem with is that they don't understand our country in the context of history either! They don't know where we got much of our inspiration and even names like "senate" or "Philadephia" from. They don't know how to fit our nation into the geography, politics and history of the world at all. That's why I'm going very heavy on Ancient and Medieval History for two years, so my kids understand how important not just our country now but the roots it grew from. But you know, you've got a point. They need to learn that but they still need some more frequent exposure to more modern US history. If I gather some resources like folk tales, books and movies, do you think you could help with those and maybe come up with some activities and local sites to flesh them out?"

Don't argue with him, agree with him and frame what you're doing in the context that it IS all about the US. Then let him take the lead on some lighter stuff like folk tales, local geography and events and such. It'll come in handy anyway when you get into US history and he's laid the groundwork.

The other option is to tell him to butt out of course but you seem to welcome his help. :)

:iagree:

I have this book and my boys really enjoyed it. It's out of print now, but it looks like you can still get copies of it on Amazon.

It give topics/holidays, etc to cover each month of the year. It's not techincally a history book, but it thoroughly covers the important parts of our country's histroy.

We're finished with it and if you are willing to pay shipping, I'd be happy to send it to you. :001_smile:

You can email me at mauk.jessica (at) gmail.com

I have this book and my boys really enjoyed it. It's out of print now, but it looks like you can still get copies of it on Amazon.

It give topics/holidays, etc to cover each month of the year. It's not techincally a history book, but it thoroughly covers the important parts of our country's histroy.

We're finished with it and if you are willing to pay shipping, I'd be happy to send it to you. :001_smile:

You can email me at mauk.jessica (at) gmail.com

Wow, thanks! I've sent you and e-mail :001_smile:

My FIL died youngish and my dad has had so many micro-strokes it's difficult to have a conversation with him.

Take him up on his offer. Your kids will remember the stories because grandpa told them. You can provide the context later when it fits the cycle.

I have taken the four year cycle and streched it into a five year cycle. This allows me to spend more time on American History within the framework of world events. It means every child will compete the cycle twice and can then focus on a history research project/s during their final two years. (Yea for extra research paper writing!)

A great way to deal with this is to teach world geography and American history (just hitting the high points and famous people) in kindergarten. It is great for kids to have a dose of American before first grade because so many of the books for ages 6-9 involve American history. Then in first you can go into the ancients as you planned.

I would say your children are very young, and the best thing he can do right now is to play games and read aloud. An hour of reading aloud while the older plays quietly at his feet or cuddles up would be a real boon to you.

The two of you will find your stride together. Would he be willing to do some of the things from Everybody Has a Body? Or Mudpies to Magnets?

Also, have him read the WTM. :)

I taught American history as well as SOTW in 1st and 2nd grade. By 3rd grade there was enough American hx in SOTW and in SOTW 4th as well. It wasn't necessarily in context during 1st and 2nd, but there was a lovely payoff in 3rd grade when it was finally placed in context. It was one of those moments in homeschool were you get a little choked up when they finally piece it all together.

I taught it in chronological order by following the "What your 1st/2nd grader needs to know" and checking out books from the library. I didn't use a specific curric.

My fil is a HUGE history buff, and he really wants to be involved with teaching the boys (he lives 5 minutes away.) He mentioned this when we were over there yesterday. He believes very strongly that our history should be American-centric, and did not at all like the idea of it coming up only once every 4 years (we plan to follow the WTM 4 year course.) His exact words were "That scares me." His reason is that too few American students know the history of their country well.

It is fantastic that he wants to help. Yea!! I would let him supplement with whatever materials he prefers. He could explore around and see the enormous amount of stuff out there. Maybe, he will even pay for some neat stuff. :001_smile:

Right now our only focus in history to give ds the idea that things were not always they way they are now. I'm buying some picture books that were recommended on here. Also, I intend to go over the history in "What your Kindergartener Should Know." And then start in with SOTW and the Ancients next fall.

Does anyone on here have experience with teaching American history at the same time as SOTW? I imagine the American history would have little to no context. Would not teaching both at the same time be confusing? If you've done this, what curriculum for the American history did you use?

In my opinion, no it does not confuse them to study different time periods at the same time. The SOTW will create a framework but they will be able to 'slot' in additional information. We usually went with living books, biographies, map work, source documents etc based around whatever time period they were interested in.

For example, when one dd was 12 she spent 4 months studying Jimmy Hoffa and the labor movement. She read about coal miners, factory girls, the Triangle Factory diaster. She did a sort of bubble spin off thing from Jimmy Hoffa and also studied organized crime/Al Capone/prohibition, etc.

My other dd decided to study just the presidents, in order. Who they were where they came from and what they were most famous for.

We also did the timeline thing. They were able to look at the time chart and say 'here is where x happened'.

You can follow SOTW to give them the time view and FIL can fill in with supplemental stuff about anything. He could do Lewis and Clark, Westward Expansion, Space Race, Great Depression, Oregon Trail, whatever he likes.

Does anyone have any advice about helping fil feel good about my choices? I am sure he would read the history part of WTM if I asked him to, but I doubt it would change his mind.

Please help!

I think it is great to have him help. Have fun

A lot of my IRL homeschool friends do World/American simultaneously, so that's certainly doable.

I actually did it more like your FIL is suggesting - I did 4 years of US History (2nd-6th for my oldest kids), now we're doing World History (7th - 9th or 10th). We ended up doing a lot of World History via US history the last year or so of US history when we got to the 20th century and all the foreign wars. The reverse will be true when we get to modern World History - we'll get US History through the eyes of World History.

I actually really liked doing it this way - for me, hands-on-history isn't making clay models or crafty paper-scissors-and-glue projects, it's going and seeing it. There are so many fabulous US history field trips where I live - living history museums, battlefields, historic houses and places etc. - and I wanted to do them when the kids were young, as I think that's the time that really hits home. I know this isn't the WTM way, but I've been really happy with what we've done.

What about letting him teach some special history lessons relating to the time of year or holidays? This would not be confusing to your dc at all because there is a natural relationship.

Let him teach about Columbus and explorations around Columbus Day. He can teach about Thanksgiving and the Pilgrims, Squanto, etc. Let him teach about Washington and Lincoln around President's Day. He can teach about Martin Luther King and what he did around his birthday, and so on throughout the year. If there is a state holiday, let your FIL teach about that.

If there is a special exhibit or field trip that is history related, let him teach about it before you go. These would be special days with your FIL, where he can teach, read books, and your dc will enjoy it, too. Let your FIL pick some U.S. history topics or people that relate, and plan some lessons. You can pick some appropriate books or other material for him to use if he needs that help. In fact, you could pick some short biographies of Americans and let your FIL come over to read to your dc once a week.

This way you can continue with your four year history sequence, but your FIL will still be able to share his passion with your dc in a way that won't interrupt your schedule.

Since your FIL is so willing to teach, let him!

I have been blessed with a semi-non-dysfunctional in-law family who is very supportive of our homeschooling their only grandchildren/nephews. My fil is a HUGE history buff, and he really wants to be involved with teaching the boys (he lives 5 minutes away.) He mentioned this when we were over there yesterday. He believes very strongly that our history should be American-centric, and did not at all like the idea of it coming up only once every 4 years (we plan to follow the WTM 4 year course.) His exact words were, "That scares me." His reason is that too few American students know the history of their country well.

Right now our only focus in history to give ds the idea that things were not always the way they are now. I'm buying some picture books that were recommended on here. Also, I intend to go over the history in "What your Kindergartener Should Know." And then start in with SOTW and the Ancients next fall.

Please help!

I think your FIL is a bit off in his logic. Too many students today are ignorant of history all around (my stepfather was against learning any foreign language under the guise of "too many kids can't even use English correctly"...I call "bigot!" :glare: ).

However, there is one curriculum, that I know of, that does this (American and World History), Weaver Curriculum. However, that is a lot of planning at times. Might be something to look into. Otherwise, stand your ground. American History actually takes up two of our four cycles (My Father's World, which uses SOTW): Exploration to 1850 and 1850 to Modern Era.

I'd let him do his thing, with an emphasis on his own experience. The Brown Paper School book "My Backyard History Book" is a great resource. Crack out the photo albums. Take them to museums. This will not confuse them and it will give great memories of time with their grandpa.

http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Paper-School-book-Backyard/dp/0316929026 (there are other editions)

I also wanted to add that you could allow FIL to do history his way and supplement with SOTW audiobooks. My kids do not care what we are studying, they love to listen to all of the volumes. it hasn't seemed to confuse them; I actually think the repeated listening increases their retention of the material.

My FIL died youngish and my dad has had so many micro-strokes it's difficult to have a conversation with him.

Take him up on his offer. Your kids will remember the stories because grandpa told them. You can provide the context later when it fits the cycle.

this is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe have him read some of the D'Aulaire books (George Washington, Pocahontas, Buffalo Bill, etc). Having him read to the kids and talk about history with them will be something they will ALWAYS remember. And to have his stories repeated to their children...PRICELESS!!!

Another thought I just had was finding some simple picture books that would launch a story/conversation.

I do World and American History concurrently. I got the idea from Charlotte Mason.:001_smile: I use SOTW for World History, and all of the wonderful picture books that abound for US History.

I can't stomach the idea of US history 1st...or leaving it absent for 2 years...and it's working out very well. We had the opportunity to visit New Salem (former home of Abe Lincoln) this summer and I am SO glad my dc had enough US history to understand what we were seeing.

If your FIL just loves US History, he's going to be contagious about it...which will work out well for your dc. I'd be inclined to do SOTW with them at home, and send them to FIL for US history.

At your kids ages, just have him read some pictures books about America, sing some songs etc. I wouldn't bother to have be part of your formal school. Just fun stuff to do and learn with Grandpa.

:iagree: I wouldn't let it be formal at all. It will be time with Grandpa where he talks about history stuff. He's not planning on requiring writing or giving quizzes/tests, is he?

Your children are VERY young. Grandpa might enjoy selecting some short fiction set in the American past, or a book or two all about a specific historical event for the children to enjoy. They might like daily life in the past type activities, cooking, clothing, toys, from different US historical periods (colonial, revolutionary, pioneer, etc.). It's all about sparking imagination and absorbing some facts and general impressions at this age. Don't worry about being formal with this; just enjoy the opportunity to be with Grandpa. These years go by so quickly...

Please help!

Hi! I haven't read all of your replies, but last year, I decided that we are teaching US History/Civics/Geography every year along with the 4 year-history cycle. :D I also love the idea of the 4 year history cycle, but it was embarrassing how little my kids knew about their own country. Like, really embarrasing...;)

This year, our US History has been mostly historical novels that the kids read on their own, read-alouds and we're going to read some short biographies of the Founding Fathers. We also took some field trips (we went to a Native American cultural center and stomp dance).

I have to say, besides science (we're huge science people), this has been one of the absolute highlights of our homeschool. We did a unit study on Sign of the Beaver (I thought my 8 yro was going to cry when it ended), we're reading Carry On, Mr. Bowditch and my 9 yro was mad when we couldn't fit it in yesterday... Pedro's Journal was a huge hit...so was A Lion to Guard Us...we've been checking out those Joy Hakim History of the US books from the library - those had some awesome pictures in it. We went to see Native American pictures carved into rock... Anyway, long story short...adding US History to our schedule has been great.

BTW, we're covering US History up to the Civil War this year. :thumbup1: