Menu

need a "different" pizza to make

We make pizza at least once a week and need to broaden our approach a little since it is usually pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and olives or breakfast pizza. If you make a different pizza, please tell me about it.

There are dozens of recipes online for all kinds of unique pizza, but I'd rather try one that I know has been time tested and at least appeals to you and your children.

We like Canadian bacon and pineapple.

We also make little pizzas and let each person make their own, which allows me to do roasted garlic, mushrooms, pesto, goat cheese, my husband to do all his own crazy combos, while the kids happily arrange their pepperoni and olives or ham and pineapple into smilie faces. :001_smile:

My kids love this one:

Over the dough spread pesto ( you can substitue this for olive oil and garlic ) , then put fried mushrooms (or you can do black olives or tomato slices if mushrooms are a no go) and top heavily with parmesan. Bake and enjoy.

This is bizarre-sounding, but really good.

Carmelize about 4 Costco size onions--this means cook them slowly for about 45 minutes until they are brown and gummy. Don't let them burn, but catch them right as they are starting to.

Glop them all over the dough.

Dot with blue cheese crumbles and minced fresh rosemary.

Cook normally.

This is really, really good, and really, really different.

It's especially good if you use a lot of dry polenta as your release layer between the dough and the cookie sheet. The polenta sticks to the dough, and it tastes wonderful with this blend of toppings.

This pizza is my family's favorite.The spice topping is what gives it the extra :drool:. I have never been able to find the cheese it calls for. It's good with a mexican cheese called panela, muenster or provolone. I alternate it with these stromboli on friday nights. We always have those greek pickled peppers with the stromboli. YUM!

:001_wub: and I thought no one would respond.

I'm going to cut and paste this tomorrow and let my kids decide what we should make. Maybe we'll just make pizza for the rest of the week, it all sounds so good. What is "white sauce" for a pizza? Is that the standard cooking white sauce with butter?

These are some of our faves:

BBQ Chicken -- use half BBQ sauce and half pizza sauce combined, top with leftover diced roast chicken, diced bell pepper, diced onions and a blend of mozzarella and smoked mozzarella.

Mu Shu Pizza -- use hoisin sauce mixed with a bit chili-garlic sauce, top with some leftover diced pork (can be pork chops, pork roast, whatever you had), sliced mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion and top with mozzarella or jack (I find less cheese is better on this one).

Greek Salad Pizza -- pizza sauce, cooked ground beef to which you've added plenty of salt, pepper and oregano, very thinly sliced red onion, slivered kalamata olives and top with a mixture of mozza and feta. Once the pizza comes out of the oven, top it with finely diced lettuce, then finely diced tomatoes, then finely diced cucumber.

We really like sausage (breakfast, although other types would still work), onions (I usually saute them in the sausage grease), cheddar, and pineapple. I add black olives to my half :001_smile:.

The kids like cheese. Just cheese. I'm hoping they will grow out of it. :glare:

Or when rushed for time, toast pizza, You know, slice of bread with sauce and a little shredded cheese cooked for a bit in the toaster oven. We also love "veggie pizza", which uses crescent rolls unrolled, spread out, as a crust, prebaked. Cool and spread with mix of 1 cup mayo, block of softened cream cheese and package of ranch dip mix. Top your goop with cut up veggies and then shredded cheddar cheese. Very good, especially when you want something cold.

:001_wub: and I thought no one would respond.

I'm going to cut and paste this tomorrow and let my kids decide what we should make. Maybe we'll just make pizza for the rest of the week, it all sounds so good. What is "white sauce" for a pizza? Is that the standard cooking white sauce with butter?

Alfredo works really well.

I like this California Pizza Kitchen BarBQ chicken copycat recipe:

• Topping:
  • 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half
  • 1⁄2 cup Bullseye Original bbq sauce
  • 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1⁄2 cup grated Gouda cheese (smoked, if you can find it)
  • 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
  • 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

Cut the chicken breast into bite sized cubes and marinate it in 1/4 cup of the bbq sauce in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

When the chicken is marinated, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Heat a small frying pan on your stove with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil. Saute the chicken in the pan for about 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink.

Form your pizza dough into a ball and roll out on a floured surface until very thin and 10 inches in diameter. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup of bbq sauce evenly over the crust.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella and all of the Gouda cheese over the sauce.

Add the chicken next, then the red onion. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella around the center of the pizza. Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown. Top with cilantro.

I like this California Pizza Kitchen BarBQ chicken copycat recipe:

• Topping:

• 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half

• 1⁄2 cup Bullseye Original bbq sauce

• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil

• 1 cup shredded mozzarella

• 1⁄2 cup grated Gouda cheese (smoked, if you can find it)

• 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion

• 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

Cut the chicken breast into bite sized cubes and marinate it in 1/4 cup of the bbq sauce in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

When the chicken is marinated, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Heat a small frying pan on your stove with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil. Saute the chicken in the pan for about 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink.

Form your pizza dough into a ball and roll out on a floured surface until very thin and 10 inches in diameter. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup of bbq sauce evenly over the crust.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella and all of the Gouda cheese over the sauce.

Add the chicken next, then the red onion. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella around the center of the pizza. Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown. Top with cilantro.

YES! This is my fave pizza recipe. :D

Grilled pizza! Just make your dough as usual, toss it on the grill until the crust I mostly done and then put your fav toppings on and put it back on the grill to melt the cheese and warm the toppings!

It's easy and fantastic. Like having a wood fired pizza oven at home.

My fav is fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes and basil. Yummy!

We make a pizza type dinner every Saturday evening. We vary it depending on how much time we'll have.

You could try calzones. They're actually much easier to make than I thought they would be. I'll try and find the recipe I used last time and post it.

There's the yummy Chicago style deep dish. It has cornmeal in the crust and definite layers to it.

Grilled pizza is our summertime favorite. I make up a batch of 30 minute mozzarella earlier in the day. Roll or pull out smaller pieces of the dough and spread one side with olive oil. Grill until puffy. Remove the dough and cover uncooked side with olive oil. Flip over and put toppings on the cooked side. (my personal fav is sauce with mozzarella and basil. Put back on the grill until finished cooking. Yum! This is actually one of our quick meals now that I've got the hang of it.

For our regular pizza, I'll usually make one with artichoke hearts, feta cheese or goat cheese, olives and tomatoes.

For this time of year when our tomatoes are just starting to come in, you can't beat Pizza Margherita. No sauce--just mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and basil. You can also mix the tomatoes and basil with a little olive oil, garlic, and salt first. And these are best cooked on the Weber grill--cook the dough on one side a bit, flip and put the toppings on, put grill lid on to encourage the cheese to melt. Yum!

My favorite, favorite pizza topping is "gourmet veggie".

Dice up a large tomato. Chop up a can of drained artichoke hearts. Slice 8 oz. of mushrooms. Dice half an onion and mince a couple cloves of garlic.

Saute the onion and garlic in a little oil. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they soften. Stir in tomatoes and artichoke hearts until the tomatoes soften. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup pesto. Spread the veggie mix on your pizza + sauce + cheese. So yummy.

Every now and then I'll make the kids a "Chili dog pizza" for fun. Use chili w/out beans in place of the tomato sauce, sprinkle with a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Top with slices of hot dog to mimic the look of pepperoni. It's really good, and the kids think it's fun.

A friend of mine told me once that she did this for her kids, and for her DH she did one with sauerkraut, onions, relish and cheese with the hotdogs.

My youngest son's favorite is Bacon Cheeseburger. it is just regular sauce, crumbled ground beef, crumbles bacon, topped with cheddar and mozzarella.

My middle son only likes cheese. Sometimes I will do a candy corn pizza for him. (just arrange the cheese so that the mozzarella is in the center something orange, like cheddar, arranged in a ring around that; put something lighter {Gouda maybe} around the edges) When you slice it, each slice will have white at eh top, orange in the center, and yellow at the bottom, like a piece of candy corn.

Taco Pizza (little dd's fav):

Top your pizza dough with pizza sauce and top with cooked ground beef. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the meat (or before you add the meat you can mix the meat and seasoning). You can add onion, if you want (we usually don't). Top with cheddar cheese and bake. After it comes out of the oven, sprinkle with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and crushed Doritos.

Chicken Alfredo (big dd's fav):

Instead of pizza sauce you top dough with alfredo sauce. Add cooked chicken and mushrooms (another version used pepperoni instead of chicken). Top with mozzerella.

Both of these are pizzas that I used to make all the time when I worked at a pizza restaurant.

We like pesto with veggies and cheese instead of red sauce. We also like BBQ sauce with leftover chicken shredded and cilantro and cheese. If you're up for all the work, there's a pizza recipe from Pioneer Woman that has potatoes, leeks, bacon and goat cheese. It's definitely an adult pleaser, but 3 of my 4 kids like it as well.

I can't wait to read through this thread. I have a feeling I'll be writing some new recipes down!

My favorite is:

Brush prepared pizza shell with olive oil.

Add a little mozzarella cheese

Top with sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts & pieces of goat cheese.

Sprinkle a little oregano/basil on top.

Bake at 400 for 8 minutes.

Absolutely wonderful!

ETA: I want to attempt to make a knock-off of Papa Murphy's Chicken Bacon Artichoke Delight. Can't be that hard, right??

Edited by TN Mama