Menu

Gardisil...not just for girls....

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually will get my sons this vaccine. It can protect their future wives from getting cervical cancer. I am hoping that my sons will only have one sexual partner, but I don't see a problem with this at all. Of course, I know it is a hot button issue and I don't want to start anything! I don't think that giving girls this shot will make them think that having sex before marriage is OK. That said, if I can prevent cervical cancer, then I will!

I actually will get my sons this vaccine. It can protect their future wives from getting cervical cancer. I am hoping that my sons will only have one sexual partner, but I don't see a problem with this at all. Of course, I know it is a hot button issue and I don't want to start anything! I don't think that giving girls this shot will make them think that having sex before marriage is OK. That said, if I can prevent cervical cancer, then I will!

:iagree:

The risk/reward balance is pretty straightforward to me.

The risk/reward balance is pretty straightforward to me.

Is it? To me not, honestly.

I should preface this by saying that I am pro-vaccines in general and that I have given my kids all the recommended vaccines so far - except for THIS one! I am holding off until it is better studied. Somehow the huge advertisement campaigns do not make me feel more confident.

68 kids have died following the vaccine, some girls developed ALS.

All that for a vaccine that is effective against some viruses responsible for a cancer that is easily detected in regular screening and has a relatively good prognosis if caught early.

I saw that a while back....about gardisil being for boys too......have no idea if our pediatrician give it to the boys too--hasn't come up for us yet---if/when it does we'll look into it.....have no idea what we'll do.....deal with it when the time comes......

Edited by SweetMissMagnolia

I should preface this by saying that I am pro-vaccines in general and that I have given my kids all the recommended vaccines so far - except for THIS one! I am holding off until it is better studied. Somehow the huge advertisement campaigns do not make me feel more confident.

All that for a vaccine that is effective against some viruses responsible for a cancer that is easily detected in regular screening and has a relatively good prognosis if caught early.

Do you have some links on that?

I guess my skin crawls over things like this sometimes and frankly the sheer continuing growth in vaccines and drugs alarms me - particularly when they are marketed for children. Serious and life threatening side effects seem to often get shoved under the rug for years and years before anything comes of it. I'm admit I am a pessimist in this arena because I do think it is predatory to a degree. :glare:

The death total is right there at the bottom of the CDC page.

Deaths

As of June 22, 2011 there have been a total 68 VAERS reports of death among those who have received Gardasil® . There were 54 reports among females, 3 were among males, and 11 were reports of unknown gender. Thirty two of the total death reports have been confirmed and 36 remain unconfirmed due to no identifiable patient information in the report such as a name and contact information to confirm the report. A death report is confirmed (verified) after a medical doctor reviews the report and any associated records. In the 32 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine and some reports indicated a cause of death unrelated to vaccination.

Deaths

As of June 22, 2011 there have been a total 68 VAERS reports of death among those who have received Gardasil® . There were 54 reports among females, 3 were among males, and 11 were reports of unknown gender. Thirty two of the total death reports have been confirmed and 36 remain unconfirmed due to no identifiable patient information in the report such as a name and contact information to confirm the report. A death report is confirmed (verified) after a medical doctor reviews the report and any associated records. In the 32 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine and some reports indicated a cause of death unrelated to vaccination.

But the doctors thought there was enough of a correlation to report it. I don't really expect the CDC to say the vaccine is causing the deaths outright.

Deaths

And they always offer the disclaimer that no direct correlation could be made between the vaccine and the serious side effects and deaths..:glare:

:iagree:

But the doctors thought there was enough of a correlation to report it. I don't really expect the CDC to say the vaccine is causing the deaths outright.

This is absolutely not true. Anyone can report something to VAERS, not just doctors. There doesn't need to be any relationship to the vaccine. If you receive a vaccine and break your neck in a car wreck 2 weeks later, you can report it to VAERS. I'm not being hyperbolic. There are reports like that in the VAERS system.

VAERS is a passive reporting system, meaning that reports about adverse events are not automatically collected but require a report to be filed to VAERS. VAERS reports can be submitted voluntarily by anyone, including healthcare providers, patients, or family members. Reports vary in quality and completeness. They often lack details and sometimes can have information that contains errors. "Underreporting" is one of the main limitations of passive surveillance systems, including VAERS. The term, underreporting refers to the fact that VAERS receives reports for only a small fraction of actual adverse events. The degree of underreporting varies widely. As an example, a great many of the millions of vaccinations administered each year by injection cause soreness, but relatively few of these episodes lead to a VAERS report. Physicians and patients understand that minor side effects of vaccinations often include this kind of discomfort, as well as low fevers. On the other hand, more serious and unexpected medical events are probably more likely to be reported than minor ones, especially when they occur soon after vaccination, even if they may be coincidental and related to other causes.

A report to VAERS generally does not provide sufficient basis for concluding that the identified vaccine(s) caused the adverse event described. It only confirms that the reported event occurred sometime after vaccine receipt. No proof that the event was caused by the vaccine is required in order for VAERS to accept the report. VAERS accepts all reports without judging whether the event was caused by the vaccine.

I have been offered and refused this vaccine for my son (age 14) and my daughter (age 12). It has been offered for my daughter a few times now and I keep saying "no thank you".

I am waiting it out. Both of my kids know what this vaccine is for and why we are waiting.

The CDC website does list 68 reported deaths (only 32 of which have been confirmed and none of which they found to be related to the vaccine), but that was out of 35 million vaccines given. I have not had to make a decision on it yet as ds is not old enough and I was too old by the time they came out with it. But both our family doctor and her PA - who we see more than half the time anyway, and who is the clinic's go to natural/homeopathic person - seem to think it is okay.

I guess my skin crawls over things like this sometimes and frankly the sheer continuing growth in vaccines and drugs alarms me - particularly when they are marketed for children. Serious and life threatening side effects seem to often get shoved under the rug for years and years before anything comes of it. I'm admit I am a pessimist in this arena because I do think it is predatory to a degree. :glare:

:iagree: with you on the bolded, Tina. I am very wary of drugs and vaccines in general. I do my homework and don't take a physician's recommendation as the sole reason to use either.

Yes, this. Dr. Diane Harper, a lead researcher on HPV, has some rather not too flattering things to say about the vaccine during a lecture at the Gynecologic Cancer Prevention Research Group at the University of Missouri, October 2009.

http://truthaboutgardasil.org/about-2/

I've verified her quotes and the veracity of her statements from other sources as well.

We vaccinate here. Just selectively. I like the older vaccines, DTaP, Hib, Polio...the ones that seem to have been thoroughly vetted through an honest, empirical method and not rushed to production.

Faith

This is absolutely not true. Anyone can report something to VAERS, not just doctors. There doesn't need to be any relationship to the vaccine. If you receive a vaccine and break your neck in a car wreck 2 weeks later, you can report it to VAERS. I'm not being hyperbolic. There are reports like that in the VAERS system.

Yes, but how many people know that? I didn't. I have heard many people who have had children react to a vaccine say they were told by a doctor that there was no link. They wanted the doctor to report it and he or she wouldn't and they didn't realize they could do so themselves. I suspect there are many, many more cases out there that haven't been reported.

Lisa

Tina -

I agree. When I was a child, I think I received 5 vaccinations and I believe most of the people in my generation made it to adulthood without dying from some dreaded disease (like chickenpox). Now, how many vaccinations are we to give our children? 25? 30?

Lisa

Our ped has always given us the CDC fact sheet for every single vaccine, every time. The VAERS contact info is right there on the back. Is this unusual? I thought it must be required, since they are so conscientious about it.

I do read those sheets when my children receive a vax, but I'm more focused on being aware of possible side effects and honestly don't remember reading the VAERS info. If you say it's on there, I'm sure it is, but it just isn't my focus.

Lisa

I am not anti vaccine, or pro. I have two kids who were totally on schedule, and one whom I delay due to special needs

I was also sexually assaulted at 14 and unfortunately wish I had been vaccinated. So, it is a tough question. What will I do, now, with my own kids? There are many sides...

Our ped has always given us the CDC fact sheet for every single vaccine, every time. The VAERS contact info is right there on the back. Is this unusual? I thought it must be required, since they are so conscientious about it.

The hospital "bus" that we get our vacs at makes you sign something saying you received this CDC fact sheet!

I do read those sheets when my children receive a vax, but I'm more focused on being aware of possible side effects and honestly don't remember reading the VAERS info. If you say it's on there, I'm sure it is, but it just isn't my focus.

Lisa

Same here. Older dd had a reaction to her first chicken pox vaccine. I never reported it and didn't really know I could. Her peds have all refused to give her the booster though and to my knowledge none of them have made a report either. This was 10 years ago and her current dr. recently sent a letter to her middle school stating she couldn't have the booster.

Sure... if you have access to modern medical care, which most women worldwide do not. Even in the US there are plenty of women who do not have easy access to pap smears. I find the "they can get pap smears" attitude to smack of "let them eat cake."

HPV is a greater risk factor for oral cancer in men than is smoking. It's contracted through oral sex. This is only recently being understood, and is one reason the vaccine is being suggested for males. Men are at a greater risk for HPV linked oral cancers than are women.

VAERS is a great system, but it's not perfect. Patients can report stuff online, and they often may not know if something is related to the vaccine. Doctors/nurses/anyone in a doctor's office can technically report an adverse event, whether they believe it was actually related to the vaccine or not.

For example, the blood clot thing it mentions before: there are a zillion things that increase your risks of blood clots. OCP's, smoking, a sedentary lifestyle, recent travel, and some genetic mutations that the vast majority of people don't know they have. Is it technically possible that Gardasil was the reason these women got blood clots? Sure. But their being women, having estrogen, already puts them in a higher risk category. And we KNOW the rest of the stuff I mentioned is high risk. So those are the most likely culprits.

Also, as far as the deaths are concerned: if many of them are related to the blood clots, the same issue applies.

Oh, and ALS = Lou Gehrig's disease, not Guillain-Barre. Guillain-Barre is, in the vast majority of situations, treatable and people often do very well. ALS is degenerative, progressive and incurable. We don't actually know what causes GBS- our best thought is some kind of autoimmune reaction to a bug- so it is possible that the HPV vaccine may trigger an autoimmune reaction. But really, anything can, as many people with diseases like Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Scleroderma etc can probably attest.

As for HPV being treatable, testable, etc. The truth is, we don't test much for it. If genital warts are present, people generally treat the infection but don't look to see if the cancer-causing strains are present. Also, the guidelines for pap smears in women have changed a great deal recently, and this may affect when women find out they have the kinds of changes in their cervix that can lead to cancer. Taking Gardasil might remove a little bit of the stress of not knowing what's going on, because the vast majority of cervical cancer is due to HPV, and these aren't the strains that cause warts, so you'd really have no reason to be tested for it.

As parents, it's your job to weigh the pros and cons, of course. I still think the pros outweigh the cons, and I got the vaccine the moment it came out. Better be safe...

I'm admit I am a pessimist in this arena because I do think it is predatory to a degree. :glare:

I agree about the predatory nature of the pharmaceutical industry. It frustrates me terribly.

I will not be allowing my boys to get this vaccine while I am still in charge of their medical care.

. Men are at a greater risk for HPV linked oral cancers than are women.

I'm very excited to watch how this pans out epidemiologically. Especially in smokers, who have a much greater risk of head and neck cancers.

You may not know a lot of smokers, but there are many out there, and head and neck cancers are nasty.

I know my children will not be getting this vaccine. I, too, am leary of all this vaccination going on, so many shots for so many things.

We are currently not vaccinating. Dd was up to date before Kindergarten, ds was almost up to date when he was 15 months, but he's had none since. The shots we gave were spread out and only the necessary. We moved here when ds was due more, but the doctors here were not cooperative or understanding. I don't know what colleges do about non-vaccination, but we'll have to see.

I have a nephew that has severe epilepsy and development delays. It all began with his 4 month shots. The lot number of one was found to have had 2 deaths and 10 permanent disabilities, but it was still out on the market. They now know he has celiac and mitochondrial diseases. Both are genetic, but trauma in the body can trigger them. He is 17, developmentally about 5, and the mitochondrial is progressing. He sometimes has to rest 3 times a day now. It's been such a long, hard road for my sister and b-i-l.

A lady I know has a daugther who got shots for college and a mission trip in the same week, and then she started having seizures. She'd never had them before. I don't think it was a coincidence.

I'm glad that horrible diseases like polio are gone, but why vaccinate for so many different conditions? I personally think it's all about the money for the drug companies and putting kids in daycare.

Yes, but how many people know that? I didn't. I have heard many people who have had children react to a vaccine say they were told by a doctor that there was no link. They wanted the doctor to report it and he or she wouldn't and they didn't realize they could do so themselves. I suspect there are many, many more cases out there that haven't been reported.

Lisa

A friend's DD had a reaction to a vaccine (not Gardasil). It was enough of a reaction that the doctor's office wanted to watch future vaccine very closely. They did not, however, feel that it warranted a report to CDC. I find that worrisome.

How often has the FDA approved a medication, only to take it off the market a few years later because of side effects? I will wait on this vaccine.

Barrier birth control. If latex condom are used properly, they will not permit HIV virus through nor hepatitis , syphillis, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis and host of other sexually transmitted diseases. As for me and mine, condoms are the answer. Including that if a man refuses, he is an idiot and not worth engaging in conversation much less intercourse. Seriously, it is that simple. When used all the time and properly they are effective.

If DD was old enough, I would not be giving her this vaccine. She has 9 - 12 years, I believe, before she is old enough to take it. We will reconsider the issue when she is old enough; but I would prefer to see more research on the vaccine.

I would be more than willing to get Ds the shot if he requested it -- though he is almost an adult and will be able to decide for himself -- I contracted HPV (still don't know how), had to have laser surgery on my cervix, and had so much scar tissue at delivery that I couldn't dilate. My midwife had to physically rip me open. Ow.

a

Edited by asta

As someone who had treatment for a pre-cancerous condition probably caused by HPV, I would be happy for my boys to have the jab. I don't think it's yet recommended on the NHS.

Laura

I didn't get this vaccine for my dds when it was first offered. There was no reason we couldn't wait and make the decision later. NOw I am happy we waited. Older dd will not be getting the vaccine. She is at higher risk for blood clots and I have never heard of any other vaccine increasing risk of blood clots. I know it isn't true of DTAP. Flu or pneumonia vaccines since I have read the warnings on those and I and my older dd have a genetic condition that makes us prone to blood clots. I haven't decided yet on younger dd. BUt there is still no rush for this as she is only 14.

see the link a few posts above mine for the official stats.

And google Gardasil side effects - you'll find blogs from families whose daughters have developed serious health problems and, in some cases, died.

I checked out the statistics and there's nothing alarming for me there - that's 68 deaths out of 35 million doses. The rates of sides effects and deaths that are linked to or coincidental with (it's important to note that aspect) the shot are far lower then the rates of cervical cancer and death from cervical cancer. I understand the shot doesn't protect against all cervical cancers but couldn't find that breakdown. The blogs are likely heartbreaking but are, in essence, anecdotal.

On a personal level my kids have never had any issues with vaccines and have no health issues that might make me worry about them receiving the shot.

I'm secure that I'm not or haven't exposed them to significant risk, certainly not a risk that outweighs the potential benefit of the vaccine. It IS important for people to realize that vaccines, as with anything, come with risks. Too many people seems to expect there should be none. But that doesn't mean I'll see there's a risk and decide not to go ahead, it means I'll use that information to evaluate the risk to us personally and balance that against the potential benefit. If I'm comfortable with it, I'm fine. If you're not, that's fine.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Barrier birth control. If latex condom are used properly, they will not permit HIV virus through nor hepatitis , syphillis, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis and host of other sexually transmitted diseases. As for me and mine, condoms are the answer. Including that if a man refuses, he is an idiot and not worth engaging in conversation much less intercourse. Seriously, it is that simple. When used all the time and properly they are effective.

Condoms don't prevent HPV.

I checked out the statistics and there's nothing alarming for me there - that's 68 deaths out of 35 million doses. The rates of sides effects and deaths that are linked to or coincidental with (it's important to note that aspect) the shot are far lower then the rates of cervical cancer and death from cervical cancer. I understand the shot doesn't protect against all cervical cancers but couldn't find that breakdown. The blogs are likely heartbreaking but are, in essence, anecdotal.

On a personal level my kids have never had any issues with vaccines and have no health issues that might make me worry about them receiving the shot.

I'm secure that I'm not or haven't exposed them to significant risk, certainly not a risk that outweighs the potential benefit of the vaccine. It IS important for people to realize that vaccines, as with anything, come with risks. Too many people seems to expect there should be none. But that doesn't mean I'll see there's a risk and decide not to go ahead, it means I'll use that information to evaluate the risk to us personally and balance that against the potential benefit. If I'm comfortable with it, I'm fine. If you're not, that's fine.

Exactly. The number of people who die of cervical/anal/oral cancer FAR outnumber the 36 people whose deaths happened to occur at some point after receiving Gardasil. And HPV isn't one of those bugs that you only get when you're engaging in "high-risk" behaviors- the vast majority of adults (>90% if I remember the stats correctly) have gotten at least one strain of it. Yes, this isn't necessarily the strain that causes cancer or warts, but if you can get one, you can get the other.

As for the rest of vaccinations...there's actually a movement here among doctors to not allow families to have our state's medicaid if they refuse (ie there's no real medical reason to avoid it) to vaccinate their kids. The guy who first "linked" MMR with autism no longer has a medical license because his study was so un-scientific. Hundreds (thousands?) of studies have been done since his that have disproven his "theory". Again, to each his own, but the data really doesn't support that connection in the least. We KNOW, though, that some kids die of the chicken pox (adults who contract it, too). Some kids and adults die of measles. They die of pertussis. It's not super common, and I had both pertussis and varicella as a kid and thankfully made it through just fine (and have no scars), but I was lucky. My sister has pockmarks all over her face, and again, people do die of these diseases. Again, this is a personal choice, and you gotta do what you gotta do. I just hope everyone considers the data before making that choice.

Oh, also someone once asked me if doctors make any money from vaccines- they don't. It's actually illegal (may be state-dependent, but I doubt it). Technically there's a charge for the injection itself as it is a "procedure", but I think it's a minuscule amount (like $10 at most).

I get all my kids vaccinated on the "normal" schedule but we will not be getting this yet. Oddly, my friends(nurse married to a family practice Dr) haven't gotten this for their own kids. They don't jump on or suggest newer vaccines until they see what the REAL effects are. I don't trust data or what drug companies say. They are greedy and I truly believe they manipulate and distort data. I want to see more info and let it run for a few more years. Yes HPV may kill more than 38 people per year but what were the circumstances? Were they patients who were undergoing regularly scheduled exams? My sister had HPV and had to have a laser treatment done. She is my sister and my answer to her was this,"Maybe you should consider this before having so many sexual partners." I know that sounds callous but it's true. Sex has become so common and thoughtless it is sickening. Now a vaccine for discretion or flat out stupidity would better serve the public:tongue_smilie:

I am sick of drug companies and their BS. Ciprodex in a TINY little bottle for my kids swimmers ear AFTER insurance was $65!!! Why was that tiny bottle $160 before insurance? Are you kidding me?

Rant over.....my coffee is just kicking in.

Me too.

Additionally, our oldest is so sick from Lyme disease I wouldn't risk a vaccine she doesn't need for any reason.

As far as I am concerned, this isn't on my list of childhood vaccines.

The ad campaigns are a huge red flag as is the marriage of big pharm and government.

Very, very bad mix of cooperative interests none of which have kids in mind.