Menu

Do you and your DH get separate hotel rooms and split the kids when traveling?

We have two occasions that will require a hotel in the next month. Our kids are 2, 4, 6 and 8, so that means we exceed the limit of persons per room for any typical (ie, within our price range) hotel room.

It seems the only option left is for DH to take two in one room and for us to book a second room for me and the other two kids (so around 200.00 a night for just "eh" accommodations in most locations).

I am an honest person and have no desire to break any regulations but right now I'm wondering if I'm the only person who would get a second room?

I can see it if the kids were a bunch of teens (or even pre teens) but it's very frustrating to get a second room in a place we'll only be for 8-10 hours when we only have little kids.

Edited by Stacie Leigh

When we traveled with all three kids, we looked for hotels with rooms that had a pullout sofa for several of the kids. When they were young like your kids are, we would bring along a sleeping bag and the youngest would sleep on the floor next to Mom and Dad.

When we traveled with all three kids, we looked for hotels with rooms that had a pullout sofa for several of the kids. When they were young like your kids are, we would bring along a sleeping bag and the youngest would sleep on the floor next to Mom and Dad.

I have no problem with sleeping bags, etc... but there are no suites in a typical hotel room for 6 people. (I've found one king and a pull out couch for 4 persons max or 2 queens.) We'd be happy to put 3 in the queen and the baby in a pack and play, but just try booking online and putting the correct number of people per room and you'll find it comes back "no rooms available for this number of guests" or something similar.

If we can find somewhere through http://www.sixsuitcasetravel.com, we book a room with enough beds for everyone. We have been known to book a room for 4 and put two on the floor in a pinch, though. And we've also gotten two rooms. If we can get connecting rooms, we usually put the dc in one and us in the other, and chain/use the bar thingy so that even the housekeeping staff couldn't access the kids' room. Once or twice, we couldn't get a big enough room (which is usually cheaper than two) or adjoining rooms, and we have split up, but that's more the exception than the rule. The most economical is usually a 'suite' -- one room with two beds and a foldout couch, so that's what we usually do

I have no problem with sleeping bags, etc... but there are no suites in a typical hotel room for 6 people. (I've found one king and a pull out couch for 4 persons max or 2 queens.) We'd be happy to put 3 in the queen and the baby in a pack and play, but just try booking online and putting the correct number of people per room and you'll find it comes back "no rooms available for this number of guests" or something similar.

Call them--you know, use that phone thingy. :D

What about a suite? That shouldn't cost quite as much as two rooms. When our 4 were little we tried to keep it to one room. Many hotels have rooms with two queens and a pullout. Some hotels limit the number in a room, but many would allow a family with small children to stay in one room. Fairfield Inn and Suites is a chain (owned by marriot) we've found to be accommodating. Disney, no. ;) They count. They want the names and ages of everyone in your party.

Five of us just stayed in one room at a Coutyard Marriot ( wedding). We all checked in together and we were not told we could not share a room. I didn't specifically ask, but all 5 of us were at the desk getting the card keys. Two of the kids are obviously teens.

Edited by LibraryLover

When we traveled across country we always found a place that would let us use one room. Some of them were suite type things. The most we ever paid was $100 for the night and that was in Wyoming. :001_huh: I called in the afternoon as soon as we would realize where we were going to finish our driving for the day and explain that we were a family of 6 with young children moving across country. We only used a suite a couple of times. The rest of the time, they let us stay in a room with two queens.

Every time we go to Disney we get 2 rooms. Always adjoining / connected. Adults in one, kids in the other, adjoining door open but pulled almost closed so they can be lights out and we can have lights on and TV on. Have probably done that with the kids 50 times between Disney, baseball tournaments, travelling to see family, etc.

My four kids are almost the same ages as yours: 9, 6, 4, 2. Whenever we travel, we almost always stay at La Quinta, and I reserve online and put in four children and they always allow us to reserve just one room.

In a few locations we've visited, they have family suites, which have three double beds plus a pull out couch and they only cost about $20 more than a regular room. We love that!

La Quinta is not fancy and varies a lot in quality, but we prefer not to spend the budget we have for travels on expensive accommodations. We also like the LaQuintas because they have free breakfasts (continental, but with waffles! and hard boiled eggs and yogurt, so not all junk) and that helps with the budget as well.

We're actually driving to CA from TX starting tomorrow, so I'm making reservations right now. The two queen bed suites, with a full sofa bed sleep six. At the particular location I'm looking at now, this room is $104 for the night vs $85 for a standard room. For us, especially considering the cost of not having to stop for breakfast, it's worthwhile.

I have only travelled with the kids a couple times but I usually end up getting a "suite" type room so that we could all stay in one room. When we went to my brother's wedding the hotel we stayed we got a 2 bdrm suite (the hotel used to be an apt builidng that they turned into a hotel so all the rooms were suites). Three kids shared 1 room that had 2 beds, littlest dd shared my room. We also had a pull out bed in the sofa but we never used it.

Other times we have travelled I have gotten rooms with 2 queen beds, and 1 cot. I have not had any trouble with us all sharing a room if I called the hotel and spoke with the manager, rather than booking online. Being a single parent factors in for me too, the kids are not having a room on their own with no adult.

We have two occasions that will require a hotel in the next month. Our kids are 2, 4, 6 and 8, so that means we exceed the limit of persons per room for any typical (ie, within our price range) hotel room.

It seems the only option left is for DH to take two in one room and for us to book a second room for me and the other two kids (so around 200.00 a night for just "eh" accommodations in most locations).

I am an honest person and have no desire to break any regulations but right now I'm wondering if I'm the only person who would get a second room?

I can see it if the kids were a bunch of teens (or even pre teens) but it's very frustrating to get a second room in a place we'll only be for 8-10 hours when we only have little kids.

I find "don't ask, don't tell" works very well in that situation. The dealio is fire regulations. Honestly, if there is a fire all of us together in one room would be better. Having to run down to another room and make sure hubby is up with the other kids and getting them out? Uh, uh. No way. Everyone is together. Now the last time we were in a hotel we only had 4 kids. The oldest was 6 and the youngest was 1. The oldest 3 took a bed which was spacious to what they were used to. They used to cram into one twin bed (not because we didn't have beds. they just preferred that) and dh and I took the baby in our bed. Again, not unusual sleeping arrangements. Now if people were piled on the floor and in the bathroom. That would be different. If we had to travel now I'd try to get one of those suites that would comfortably fit us all. But we haven't traveled in years and years. I take that back. We got a hotel when we moved and had 5 by then. I can't remember how we arranged it.

Oh, we had family traveling with us. I think my boys might have slept in their grandfather's room.

Again, we paid for what was comfortable for us and didn't share how many we had in our party.

What about a suite? That shouldn't cost quite as much as two rooms. When our 4 were little we tried to keep it to one room. Many hotels have rooms with two queens and a pullout. Some hotels limit the number in a room, but many would allow a family with small children to stay in one room. Fairfield Inn and Suites is a chain (owned by marriot) we've found to be accommodating. Disney, no. ;) They count. They want the names and ages of everyone in your party.

Five of us just stayed in one room at a Coutyard Marriot ( wedding). We all checked in together and we were not told we could not share a room. I didn't specifically ask, but all 5 of us were at the desk getting the card keys. Two of the kids are obviously teens.

We've stayed at the Polynesian resort twice with more than the four the website "allows" you to book. Once with five and once with 6--the oldest being 12.

If you have four young kids and need to book a hotel room, use the phone and speak to a human being. The rules exist because they don't want a half dozen people booking a room and throwing a party. They understand about families and do not wish to split them up.

If they are jerks about it, call another hotel.

We've stayed at the Polynesian resort twice with more than the four the website "allows" you to book. Once with five and once with 6--the oldest being 12.

If you have four young kids and need to book a hotel room, use the phone and speak to a human being. The rules exist because they don't want a half dozen people booking a room and throwing a party. They understand about families and do not wish to split them up.

If they are jerks about it, call another hotel.

Yes, some resorts at WDW allow more for more than 4. The Poly is one of them. We've stayed there with 5 in the past.

I am sure people have put more in rooms for 4, but at WDW it has to be the sin of omission. WDW asks for the names of all in the party (as well as number of children & their ages) at the time of booking. They don't usually count an infant. It's been awhile since I had an infant, but that is my recollection.

Edited by LibraryLover

When we traveled, we'd either get a 6-person room (for 7) and one kid would sleep on the hide-a-bed cushions in a sleeping bag on the floor, or we'd get a boy room and a girl room. We did not say anything to hotel staff, except one time, and that time they told us not to worry about it.

Cat

The person in room limit has to do with fire code as much as hotel policy. When the dc were younger we just put everyone in one room. Now that they are older we need two bathrooms and more space, even overnight. We do ask for connecting room when possible. If it's not possible dh and split up for the night. He and ds take one room and the dds and I get the other.I

and we travel a lot. I just spent most of the summer on the road. I am now in love with Country Inn and Suites. Their military rate is $82 and they have suites which accommodate my entire family of 7. We just ask for a pull-out which is $10 extra.

They always have cookies in the lobby and a borrowing library. They have hot breakfast in the morning and a pool. I have found them very family friendly. They're my new home away from home.

Drury Inn is pricey, but they also have big rooms. They also have a hot dinner from 4-7 and breakfast.

Call around and find out what is available. Then do a search online for the best price and call them back with that information so you get a good rate.

No. We would not be able to easily afford something like that, nor would I want to sleep in a hotel room alone/with kids without my spouse, I'd feel safer and more comfortable if we were all together.

I would probably try to call ahead and explain the situation and see if I could find a place that would let us stay together. If I couldn't find one that would, then I confess, I'd sneak 'em in. I'd call back later to make the reservation or show up later and wouldn't even tell them how many kids I had with me.

We have never had a problem. We get a room with 2 queen beds and sleep 3 to a bed. Me and 2 dc and dh and 2 dc. We have never had to pay for 2 rooms and the hotels always know about all of us :001_huh:

:iagree:

Though we just spent 2 nights in a hotel. There were 3 in my bed, 2 in dh's, and 2 boys slept in sleeping bags on the floor. The puppy slept in his crate.

before automatically deciding you can't do one room - do call the hotel/motel you plan on staying at and asking if they have a family suite. Those frequently won't show up on their websites. Even motel 6 had one, and our then family of six stayed in one unit for less than two rooms would have cost. (and there was a kitchenette that brought the price down even more because we could prepare food for ourselves.)

another thing to check out is marriott residence inn. if you book online a two-bedroom suite (and fold out couch) with a full kitchen can be ALOT less than two rooms at "discount" chain. We recently did a residence inn two-bedroom suite in Portland OR for $135 a night. (and they have a breakfast buffet.)

Edited by gardenmom5

We have found that many (if not most) hotels in New England have two queen beds and won't permit a rollaway, or a king bed. Neither will go up to 5 people (our kids are full size now.) And all of them are well over $100.

They also don't have adjoining rooms. And won't even guarantee rooms next to each other.

It's like they expect all their customers to be businessmen by themselves.:glare:

I was thrilled to find a hotel in State College with two queen beds and a double sofa bed!

When I book a hotel I just put 2 adults and 2 kids and pick whatever works for our budget. The youngest sleeps in bed with us anyways and the extra two just sleep on the floor. I guess I never worried about it because we sleep more than the "typical" 2 per room at home too. I've never had a hotel have a problem with it even when they know I have more kids. I also figured the online reservations are being handled by a computer so they have to have strict parameters but that doesn't mean the hotel actually cares about it.

usually Country Inn and Suites. /QUOTE]

:iagree: I call to reserve in person to let them know we have 5 dc and so I can request their largest suite.

The occupancy limits are for fire code regulations, so I do want them to know we have more than allowed in our room.

If dh is traveling with us, we share a bed, 9yo & 7yo get the pull-out sofa, 4yo sleeps on the pull-out sofa cushions, 2yo sleeps on two chairs pushed together or with us, and baby sleeps in a pack 'n play.

For us, it depends on how long we'll be staying at the hotel. If it's a while, we'll get two rooms or find a place that has beds for all of us. Oftentimes, we'll rent a condo cheaper than a hotel.

If it's just overnight, we'll bring an air mattress for two people.

We do try to stay in suites that have two beds and a pullout couch. Now that the kids are bigger, they really prefer to sleep in beds!

There are many reasons lodging properties cap the occupancy of any given room. Just a few:

* fire code

* the occupancy limit listed on the state lodging license

* system issues (i.e., hot water system struggles if you have too many people in the rooms, rooms with 6 people generate more noise complaints, etc.)

It's a balancing act--you don't want to turn away customers, but you also want to avoid situations that will lead to complaints from other customers.

We are a family of six. Yes, we often pay more than a family of four would to stay in a hotel, but I'm a big believer in the right of business owners to set the policies for their businesses. We either follow their rules or we go to a different business.

There are many reasons lodging properties cap the occupancy of any given room. Just a few:

* fire code

* the occupancy limit listed on the state lodging license

* system issues (i.e., hot water system struggles if you have too many people in the rooms, rooms with 6 people generate more noise complaints, etc.)

It's a balancing act--you don't want to turn away customers, but you also want to avoid situations that will lead to complaints from other customers.

We are a family of six. Yes, we often pay more than a family of four would to stay in a hotel, but I'm a big believer in the right of business owners to set the policies for their businesses. We either follow their rules or we go to a different business.

I agree. I guess I'm just a bit surprised at the number of people who would just "sneak" in their kids or violate the policy because they didn't like it. There are reasons there are occupancy levels in the room and I'm just surprised about the number of people who would just not comply because they didn't like them.

We use the Holiday Inn Express Suites. If we aren't traveling at a peak time, we can get them for as little as $99.00 night. They have two queen beds and a sleeper sofa plus there is usually a small table and chairs, big bathroom, microwave, small refrigerator, sink for doing dishes with a tiny bit of countertop, and coffee pot. I usually plan to make it to the hotel, if possible, for supper so that we can eat in which saves money. Holiday Inns have very nice complimentary breakfasts, eggs, fresh fruit, granola, cereal, muffins, bagels, sometimes even sausage links, as well as milk, juice, and coffee. So, we have the kids eat BIG the next morning.

Faith

We get a two-bedroom suite with a kitchen at Homewood Suites or Residence Inn. There are other hotels in the Marriott line that also have two-bedroom suites with a kitchen. We've also used hotels with suites without the kitchen.

We always get connecting rooms and then leave the doors between them cracked. Dad and I take one room and the kids take the other. We have been doing it that way for years and have never had a problem. One time we did not get adjoining rooms but ones that were directly across the hall from each other. That time, the teens took the extra room and the little stayed with us.

Nope I wouldn't spring for the second room. As far as I'm concerned you can count 2 children as 1 adult, and babies under 2 don't count at all.

:iagree:

If your oldest child is eight, you don't have six people taking long showers, and these kids are going to be better supervised with both parents present. Sometimes a little common sense is in order. How is it safe for a mom with two little kids in the room to take a shower? What if they open the door and it's not their dad?

Call them. You might get a sensible person on the phone who knows when following policy blindly would not be in the best interests of the hotel or your family--a family with four young kids.

We only have 3 kids and have been able to find hotels that will allow all of us in them usually.

However, we much prefer suites or condo type units. When we go to Florida we always opt for a 2 bedroom condo over hotel rooms.

Dawn

When the kids were small, most hotels dont care and are fine with ya'll sharing.

However, I have a friend with 6 teenagers (yep, scary. LOL) and she HAS to do 3 hotel rooms for the family of 8. $$$$$

They dont travel much. LOL

:iagree: We just get one room. Our kids are little and don't mind. Get the rooms with the 2 queens and that really helps. Many hotels don't even mind or ask. I just go up and reserve a double room. We've never had a problem with it. I don't see it as being dishonest-especially when they don't ask and they *see* me with all of the kids. And we've never had water problems or noise complaints. We have *made* noise complaints, though. Usually teenagers left alone who were blaring the TV. That is SO annoying.

When they're older, we'll get 2 rooms.

We don't buy two rooms. We usually stay at the Drury Inn for lots of reasons(pets stay free, free breakfast, free popcorn, coke, wings, and snacks at night) but we never sneak the kids in. We get a room with two beds and ask for a roll a way for the boys to share(one at one end one on the another). We have gotten a suite twice, king in one room, pull out couch, and then we got a roll a way. We did like the suite better because we had more space, two tvs, and husband and I had privacy. Now that our kiddos are getting older we will probably try to do the suite if we can. I don't know why they don't make rooms that are connected like they use to.

ETA: I would call them on the phone so you won't have to "lie" online. Most will match the online price if they are not busy.

Edited by blessedmom4god

We have been staying at Marriot Residence Inns. They have 2 bedrooms, a pull out sofa bed...and a full kitchen, so we can cook. They also include a nice free breakfast.

It is much more roomy than 2 rooms...and usually cheaper too.

Faithe