Menu

If you think you spend a lot on curric

I just got done talking to a friend whose child attends public school. Around here you get a list of what your child needs to bring to school. They normally come sometime in the summer with the schedule letters.

My friend spent 600 dollars on classroom supplies and that's not even clothes shopping. That was the list, which had things on it like 6 packs of post it notes, how many folders, notebooks, packs of pencils, tissues. INSANE.

I told her she should have torn the list up and sent it back in an envelope.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got done talking to a friend whose child attends public school. Around here you get a list of what your child needs to bring to school. They normally come sometime in the summer with the schedule letters.

My friend spent 600 dollars on classroom supplies and that's not even clothes shopping. That was the list, which had things on it like 6 packs of post it notes, how many folders, notebooks, packs of pencils, tissues. INSANE.

Where did she buy her supplies? Imported from Europe? I have a hard time believing that even the most extravagant supply list would add up to $600, unless that's for more than one child and she is buying Trapper Keeper binders and specialty notebooks and such.

Where did she buy her supplies? Imported from Europe? I have a hard time believing that even the most extravagant supply list would add up to $600, unless that's for more than one child and she is buying Trapper Keeper binders and specialty notebooks and such.

:iagree:

That's just insane. Even $60 would be a lot for school supplies, but would be a bit more reasonable if she had a lot of extras to buy. But $600 is just crazy!

Many of the local schools around here are just asking for $20 for each kid and the teachers buy what they need at the super cheap prices. That way each child has the same brand and everyone is guaranteed to have everything. Problem is, if you shop deals, you can spend a lot less than $20 for everything on the list!

I don't know about $600 but my cousin has 4 children in public school and between the 4 of them she had to buy 25 boxes of crayons, 30 glue sticks, etc. The number of each item blew my mind.

When I had my boys in private school they needed 14 tennis balls one year. If I would have sent my boys to the magnet school this year my 4th grader would have needed a flash drive and specialty one color per package construction paper.

Too bad the OP can't get a hold of the list. I'm curious to see what's on it.

:iagree:

That's just insane. Even $60 would be a lot for school supplies, but would be a bit more reasonable if she had a lot of extras to buy. But $600 is just crazy!

Many of the local schools around here are just asking for $20 for each kid and the teachers buy what they need at the super cheap prices. That way each child has the same brand and everyone is guaranteed to have everything. Problem is, if you shop deals, you can spend a lot less than $20 for everything on the list!

She's a smart shopper, it's just what the teachers wanted. I don't think it was for ONE teacher, it was a few of them.

If DS was attending PS this year, THIS would be his supply list:

PERSONAL SUPPLIES - Put name on these:

backpack/carrying bag

binder – 1 Ă‚Â½ inch (PLEASE NO ZIPPERS OR VELCRO)

1 three-hole pencil pouch to clip into binder

1 small pencil sharpener that holds shavings

1 sturdy folder with pockets on the bottom

4 spiral notebooks – single subjects with 70 sheets/wide ruled

1 composition notebook -9 3/4 x 71/2 hard cover 100 sheets

1 medium-sized sharp tipped scissors

1 box of fine-tip or regular markers

1 box of 24-count crayons

1 box of 12-count colored pencils

1 set of water colors

1 clear ruler

GROUP SHARED - No name necessary:

5 pocket folders in different colors

wide-ruled notebook paper (a generous supply)

4 dozen yellow #2 pencils

4 black Flair pens (not permanent)

3 highlighters – yellow, green, pink

2 - 4 glue sticks

1 bottle of white school glue

1 package pencil-top erasers

2 pink erasers

1 box of plastic zip lock storage or freezer bags (quart or gallon)

1 box of tissues

1 canister of sanitizing wipes

1 bottle hand sanitizer

It is actually much more "manageable" than lists in years past.

So long as they aren't shared items, though, you can certainly send the same ones as the previous year. You just have to label the heck out of everything. Things like backpacks, binders, folders (if you get the plastic ones), crayons, pencil cases, hole punches, pencil sharpeners, colored pencils, rulers, etc. etc. can all be carefully saved from the previous year. So yes, the OP's friend must be buying at full price, choosing specialty items. Or I hope so anyway!

Wow. That seems like a lot. My kids have been in PS before and we never had to spend anywhere near that. Not even for all 3 boys combined. I would never be able to put up that much money for supplies.

My oldest is going to PS this year for 8th and I'm a little miffed that I have to buy him a Ti84 graphing calculator. Those suckers aren't cheap. The rest of his list is pretty reasonable. I do have to buy him a mini stapler and a flash drive.

With all of the things I have to buy and fees I have to pay (PE uniform, locker fee, school planner, student body fee, etc.) I'm pretty sure I could have bought whatever homeschool curriculum I wanted for him, lol. Money is tight for us right now and I'm going to have a hard time covering it all, so I have no clue how families that are worse off are going to do it.

The kindergarten list for one of our local stores easily cost over $150 for one child. I almost passed out when a friend was telling me. And she was buying on sale. Unfortunately many of the school supply lists didn't appear in stores until this week with classes beginning next week. She had missed several sales. Although, I have to say, except for a few items, the sales were not as good in our area as in years past.

I have a public middle and high school child. My son's beginning supply list, before school started, cost us $80 from Walmart. Then I had to pay $30 supply fee, $7.50 tech fee, $20 gym uniform, $10 reading fee, $15 spirit fee, $15 computer fee, and $20 FCA fee. FCA was the only optional fee. I also had another $55 worth of supplies to pick up after first day. For daughter, fees directly to school were $65 plus $35 optional club fees, and $20 gym uniform since they change design yearly so you can't reuse them. Her supplies were around $65. DD used her backpack from last year but I had to get DS a new one, $45, since his finally wore out after three years. I tell Dh that it is amazing what a free public school education costs. Oh and we have uniforms that costs me $300 for both.

Edited by kahlanne

Most schools list their supply needs online--no one needs to wait for them to appear in the stores. Also, there are typical things everyone will need, so I don't buy it (hahaha) that one needs to miss the sales.

Here's dd's 6th grade list--I bought some special things, like pretty folders instead of the 15 cent ones, but only spent about $35. She does need a new backpack, so that will add some $--but if we had to, we could shop the thrift store or even the drug store and get one for less than $10 (we'll get her a better quality one, tho).

I have always felt, though, that school finances should be better managed and school supplies ought to be provided. If they didn't have the textbook racket, maybe LOTS of things could be funded, but that's another story and another thread, isn't it? :D

Here you pay not only for supplies, lunches, and school clothes but we also have what Indiana calls a book rental fee. For my one son who will be attending highschool as a junior just his book rental fee is $350. I won't even know what he needs for supplies until after the first week of school. Each teacher is allowed to dictate what they want their students to have for supplies.

If I had a any kids in middle school some of the supply lists are two pages long.

Most schools list their supply needs online--no one needs to wait for them to appear in the stores. Also, there are typical things everyone will need, so I don't buy it (hahaha) that one needs to miss the sales.

Here's dd's 6th grade list--I bought some special things, like pretty folders instead of the 15 cent ones, but only spent about $35. She does need a new backpack, so that will add some $--but if we had to, we could shop the thrift store or even the drug store and get one for less than $10 (we'll get her a better quality one, tho).

I have always felt, though, that school finances should be better managed and school supplies ought to be provided. If they didn't have the textbook racket, maybe LOTS of things could be funded, but that's another story and another thread, isn't it? :D

The textbook racket is interesting. BAck inthe 50s and 60s, in my mother's community, the parents had to buy all the textbooks for their children each year. Because it was a poor community, the school finally started using money from their budgets to buy books as some kids were almost never able to buy books, even used ones.

My friends dd's school list was very detailed right down to the brand of markers they wanted her to buy. Other then a backpack and binder, everything else was a "shared" list and no names were to be put on the items. I can see if a parent wants brand names for their own child, but to HAVE to buy a brand name for a community supply doesn't sit right with me.

Disclaimer: I am a rebel.

When my dd was in school, I refused to buy everything on the list. I bought essentials and then, if needed, I would buy other things.

For instance, copious amounts of hand sanitizer. Really? There is a sink in the classroom, wash your hands. Kleenex? What the heck they need Kleenex for? Because a child might have a cold? If the child has a cold and required a nose to be wiped that much then they should be at home not school. Big box of ziplock bags? Seriously? My dd never came home with one ziplock bag in the 2.5 years she was in school. Even the year I did get the ziplocks.

The lists are nit picky (I always got the spiral notebooks if the list specifically said not to :D) and they are asking way to much.

Of course I homeschool now and am glad I do. I know without a shadow of a doubt I would be butting heads with teachers and administrators. Shoot I was butting heads before, which is why I pulled her from school.

I digress... $600 is a massive amount and I would advise your friend to return half of what she bought, if not more. Seek it cheaper elsewhere or only buy what is needed for school now... not the whole blasted year like they want.

I'm not sure about other states, but in Utah, you actually can't "require" anything from elementary school students. You can request donations. At our school we just asked for $20 a kid and if parents wanted to give more, they could. Not only was $20 a kid enough for ALL supplies for the ENTIRE year, it also paid for one field trip.

It's amazing how little you need (as a teacher) when you are the one in control of the money and not dictating to others what to buy. Plus, we had a lot less waste and nobody complained about losing things that "belonged" to them. It was perfect.

Anyhow, a lot of parents didn't know they weren't required to donate. (We did have to be careful to use the word "donate" though.) Every child is entitled to a free education. You can charge fees in middle and high school, but even then you can apply for a fee waiver. There are a lot of loopholes. Obviously, you want to do whatever you can that will benefit your child though.

We required good sneakers for our stellar P.E. program with the understanding that if a parent called us on it, we were held responsible for furnishing their student with shoes.

I looked at the .list for white DS would be going if we weren't HSing, it was ridiculous! Why should parents have to supply cleaning supplies! AND I don't let my kids use liwuid hand sanitized, why would I send it to school?

I remember my mom telling me that it cost $8 for me to go to elementary school. We wnet to meet our teachers and the parents paid $8 and our supplies were in our desks when we arrived the first day. If we ran out, we had to provide more; but the fourth grade class ran a school supply booth everyday at lunch for math class (learning to make change and do mental math, etc), supplies were cheap.

In high school (private school), we bought books like you do in college. You coyld sell them back at the end of the year, but I am a highlighter! They generally wouldn't take mine back :)

Why does each kid need to bring 4 dozen pencils to the classroom? Time to teach the kids to hold on to their stuff. I bought my kids mechanical pencils for a few bucks each. We occasionally misplace them, but I think that would be a better investment than 4 dozen pencils. Holy smokes.

A church I used to go to met in one of the public school buildings here.

At the end of the year each classroom had a cabinet full of hand sanitizer and tissues. FULL.

However, papertowels and soap were not provided in the bathrooms because the kids would trash the bathroom and waste soap.

When a friend's daughter started highschool her mom picked up the school supply list and went shopping at Walmart. She spent over $300. When the kids got to school they were given another list with over $150 worth of supplies on it. My friend went to the school and kicked up a serious fuss. The admins insisted that to do well the kids would need all of this stuff.

I understand that the lists are sent out because most public schools have limited budgets. They figure if some of the families can supply the items on the list, they'll have enough. All the materials go into classroom supply closets. At least at the school my kids attend, there is just a big bin to put the supplies in and nobody checks who does or doesn't donate. The lists are long, but cost around $10 with all the school supply sales.

When my kids went in 2001, we spent $300 for two elementary aged children. It was crazy.

This year, I only had to buy for one kid and bought it over time. We probably spent about $60. Then add uniforms for three children...we couldn't do it all at one time so we've gotten the bare minimum and will add to it each month. I have to buy new for the little two because they are SO little there is no way to find used school clothes that small. The smallest I've found is size 4-6.

If my son were going to school this year, this would be his supply list for first grade:

1 folder

1 box of crayons

1 box of markers

1 box of sharpened pencils

a small supply box

a notebook to use as a journal

5-7 glue sticks

scissors

1 inch 3-ring binder

a smock for art

an empty shoe box

Not too bad. My oldest no longer gets supply lists in high school but will need notebooks for each class and some teachers want three ring and some want spiral (or don't care), she did need the expensive TI calculator but she's used it every year for multiple classes (chemistry, algebra, calculus, physics). Other than that - pens, pencils, book covers. We spend way more this time of year setting her up for dance and cheer.

Wow! My DD was in public school for years and I never had to spend over $50. I could not have afforded more!

When DD was in elementary school, we usually just paid $20 to the school and they supplied everything. All of the parents did the same.

One of the middle schools around posted a school supply list of earbuds and a stylus. They were issued iPads. Everything for school will be conducted on the iPad . They need nothing else. No paper, no pencils, markers, nothing. The school said everything will be handled on the iPad. 6th and 7 th.

I'm just waiting to see how this works out. Middle schools not even 20 miles( I'm being way generous on the mileage) away can't offer some classes but this one middle school can afford iPads and the programs and textbooks to make school workable.

Does make school supplies much more doable.

When my dd was in school, I refused to buy everything on the list. .

the problem with this is they keep the kids from extras during school if they don't pay the fees and bring all supplies. Ex. Field trips, clubs, parties, etc. I left DS's tissues at home by accident and was told he had to bring it the next day or she would mark it as not brought. Oh and textbooks are free but many teachers are deciding to use springboard which is $30 extra. Plus all their lit books are additional. First week and ds had to buy a $15 book.

Why do people do it?

Seriously. My husband's district doesn't allow kids to bring supplies. They state that all children are guaranteed a FREE education and as such cannot be asked to bring supplies.

Try sending a letter back stating you've paid your taxes and the bazillion school bonds and that's all you are able to donate this year.

One of the middle schools around posted a school supply list of earbuds and a stylus. They were issued iPads. Everything for school will be conducted on the iPad . They need nothing else. No paper, no pencils, markers, nothing. The school said everything will be handled on the iPad. 6th and 7 th.

I'm just waiting to see how this works out. Middle schools not even 20 miles( I'm being way generous on the mileage) away can't offer some classes but this one middle school can afford iPads and the programs and textbooks to make school workable.

Does make school supplies much more doable.

My school systm is giving every 5th grader a laptop this year. They are firing teachers but by golly the 5th graders will have computers. And they are piloting a program allowing cell phones and other electronics in the classroom. IMO this is going to dumb down these kids even more!

This is the first year I'm not buying any school supplies.Here in the uk-most state schools require a uniform .The primary schools[4-11] rarely require materials-but they are needed for secondary [11-16].My shopping list would look like this ...

Everday uniform Ă‚Â£142[ broken down below]

Logo Sweatshirt =Ă‚Â£13 ea x3= Ă‚Â£39

Logo polo shirt = Ă‚Â£10ea x3 =Ă‚Â£30

Black trousers/skirt Ă‚Â£ 10 ea.x3 =Ă‚Â£30

School shoes[no heels,no cut outs no trainers,black ]Ă‚Â£40

Black socks Ă‚Â£3

P.E kit= Ă‚Â£53[ spent like this]

sweatshirt [with logo ] Ă‚Â£13

Joggers Ă‚Â£10

sports sock[must be white Ă‚Â£3

Polo shirt Ă‚Â£10

Hockey Shirt Ă‚Â£12

Leggings for dance Ă‚Â£8

Shin pads =Ă‚Â£3

Supplies =Ă‚Â£30

Ring Binders

Paper

Math set

Scinetific calculator

Pens,colours ,highlighters

Specialist art stuff Ă‚Â£10

So Ă‚Â£240 for the highschooler

I think the uniform for the younger two came out at slightly cheaper.Probably about Ă‚Â£120 ea

Shall we call it Ă‚Â£500?

My school systm is giving every 5th grader a laptop this year. They are firing teachers but by golly the 5th graders will have computers. And they are piloting a program allowing cell phones and other electronics in the classroom. IMO this is going to dumb down these kids even more!

I don't understand this. I don't understand how public education can look so different from one place to another. We live in a city of half a million people and the 5th graders don't have computers in their classrooms much less laptops. My husband cuts paper in half for his students because he only gets $10 per student for all of his yearly supplies (and parents are not allowed to bring supplies).

It seems so unequal.

I don't want to sound whiny with things like, "It's unfair!" but I really don't understand how some kids can have laptop computers while other kids write on scraps of paper.

:iagree: and multiple changes of school uniforms.

'tho' my mil could spend that much on nothing much in a heart beat. no one's quite sure how she does it.

the problem with this is they keep the kids from extras during school if they don't pay the fees and bring all supplies. Ex. Field trips, clubs, parties, etc. I left DS's tissues at home by accident and was told he had to bring it the next day or she would mark it as not brought. Oh and textbooks are free but many teachers are deciding to use springboard which is $30 extra. Plus all their lit books are additional. First week and ds had to buy a $15 book.

Again my rebel statement. I refuse(d) to be a puppet (please not saying anyone else is! Just speaking for myself!) to the school system. I am also the administrations worst nightmare. I was on the phone or there in person if something wasn't right. I would have refused anything extra claimed I couldn't afford it. I have done it before. I would also tell them when it was needed then I would donate, but not until then. I also would have contacted the school board if needed (which I didn't because I pulled her). It usually worked. However those were minor things and not the reason I pulled her. That is for a whole different thread.:D

However, I come by it honestly. My mother was well know at my schools growing up because she had the same attitude but for different things. Her problem was access to her kids, they didn't want to let her send a message here or there or come get us out of school without "good cause" which was set my them.

So all that to say, it wouldn't have happened with me :) I am that squeaky wheel.

Hate me if you want to, love me if you can :D;) Courtesy Toby Keith.

I don't get the group supplies. Especially the dry erase markers. Are the kids using the dry erase or is it for the teacher to use on the board. Why isn't she buying her own?

Why all the extra pencils, crayons and markers? When I was a kid, parents bought the stuff for their own kid(s) and if the kid lost their stuff they just had to ask parents for new. Possibly having to answer for the loss, but that taught personal responsibility. Maybe it is our throw away society. Lord forbid a child be made to look for a dropped item. It might crush their self esteem.

Around here, it would easily cost this for one or two if they were late middle schoolers or high schoolers.

Here are just SOME of the things on the list for this year for our local public high school:

A specific brand of graphing calculator and that is the ONLY one they can have in the classroom. Required for Algebra 1 and higher so this will include some 8th graders. $125.00 at Staples or Office Max. It has been known to go on sale for $99.00 at Target once in a blue moon.

Four flash drives - These are currently on sale (about an hour's drive from here so add gas costs too) - $14.99 each. The middle schoolers starting in 6th grade must bring two a piece.

That's just two of the items. Additionally, due to extreme budget cuts, the schools are no longer providing toilet paper and kleenex. They to the average amount used last year per building, divided it by the number of students enrolled in that building this year, and came up with a number of rolls per student that must be provided.

So, unfortunately, I can actually see this for high schoolers.

Faith

I don't understand this. I don't understand how public education can look so different from one place to another. We live in a city of half a million people and the 5th graders don't have computers in their classrooms much less laptops. My husband cuts paper in half for his students because he only gets $10 per student for all of his yearly supplies (and parents are not allowed to bring supplies).

It seems so unequal.

I don't want to sound whiny with things like, "It's unfair!" but I really don't understand how some kids can have laptop computers while other kids write on scraps of paper.

I don't understand how schools in THE SAME AREA are so freaking different. You can't transfer from school to school without losing or gaining standing. We seriously have high schools that cannot give the same classes. Heck, we were chastised by President Obama for "the corridor of shame" in which schools are literally crumbling over the kids heads. But we have schools that are built because they think they might be overcrowded this year. Drive in a two hour cycle around our capital and you will find schools that make third world countries look good and schools that are cutting edge in labs and technology. It is so strange. You cannot get an "equal" education in my state due to having money and not having money. And several high schools issue laptops to very kid while other high schools hope the plumbing works that day. Crazy!

That's just two of the items. Additionally, due to extreme budget cuts, the schools are no longer providing toilet paper and kleenex. They to the average amount used last year per building, divided it by the number of students enrolled in that building this year, and came up with a number of rolls per student that must be provided.

Faith

Wow. The tp in our high school might have been barely processed woodpulp (remember those tannish rectangles that felt like burlap?), but at least we didn't have to pony up for it.

And kahlanne, what is a spirit fee? And a reading fee? These two really have my curiosity piqued.

It seems so unequal.

I think it IS unfair. Wretchedly so. BUT, I don't know the right way to fix it, because NJ tried to with 'Abbot' districts-which funneled taxes to poorer school districts--and those districts are STILL failing. So it's like throwing good money after bad.

Edited by justamouse

In our case the reason we do it is so our kids can participate in the "fun" parts of school like the parties and field trips. Technically the school doesn't make you buy the supplies or pay fees but they withhold the extras from students that don't. According to schoolboard, you aren't guaranteed a party or fieldtrip. BTW, most of said fieldtrips run from twenty to fifty dollars. Last years was $65 and additional $35 if I wanted to go, driving myself. The cost of ticket to enter was only $25 and I had a membership which meant son and I could have been free. I told ds we didn't have the money and let him skip school that day. They complained saying students not going on fieldtrip should stay at school to work. Oh well.

When my dd was in school, I refused to buy everything on the list. I bought essentials and then, if needed, I would buy other things.

For instance, copious amounts of hand sanitizer. Really? There is a sink in the classroom, wash your hands. Kleenex? What the heck they need Kleenex for? Because a child might have a cold? If the child has a cold and required a nose to be wiped that much then they should be at home not school. Big box of ziplock bags? Seriously? My dd never came home with one ziplock bag in the 2.5 years she was in school. Even the year I did get the ziplocks.

The lists are nit picky (I always got the spiral notebooks if the list specifically said not to :D) and they are asking way to much.

Of course I homeschool now and am glad I do. I know without a shadow of a doubt I would be butting heads with teachers and administrators. Shoot I was butting heads before, which is why I pulled her from school.

I digress... $600 is a massive amount and I would advise your friend to return half of what she bought, if not more. Seek it cheaper elsewhere or only buy what is needed for school now... not the whole blasted year like they want.

:lol: I've told my kids that the reason they can't go to the local elementary or middle school is because I'd get them into too much trouble.

A specific brand of graphing calculator and that is the ONLY one they can have in the classroom.

My older's were PS. You can also pick up the calculators used, or on amazon. (or other online) often for much less. they are using it for four years in math and science. provided they don't lose or break it, you don't have to buy a new one every year, and depending upon your children's ages, can hand it down. (dd also used hers in college. she majored in chem and bio minor.) you can then sell them when you're done. so the real cost is much less than upfront. this is not a disposable item like nearly everything else on the schools lists. (I admit, I reused many items in subsequent years - I've still got colored pencils and boxes from when my boys were in elementary and am using them with little one.)

the reason it is brand specific is becasue the teacher will walk the entire class through calculations, and this way, everyone is working with the same function keys. function keys vary by brand and even by model in the same brand. (ask me how I know. :D of course, the "really" snazzy TI's are programmable and savvy kids will program games . . . teachers discourage those.)

oh, just remembered, this is the calculator allowed/recommended by the SAT.

Have had one stolen once ... . BIG STICKERS to make it stand out discourages theives.

Edited by gardenmom5

In our case the reason we do it is so our kids can participate in the "fun" parts of school like the parties and field trips. Technically the school doesn't make you buy the supplies or pay fees but they withhold the extras from students that don't. According to schoolboard, you aren't guaranteed a party or fieldtrip. BTW, most of said fieldtrips run from twenty to fifty dollars. Last years was $65 and additional $35 if I wanted to go, driving myself. The cost of ticket to enter was only $25 and I had a membership which meant son and I could have been free. I told ds we didn't have the money and let him skip school that day. They complained saying students not going on fieldtrip should stay at school to work. Oh well.

I can understand that, I guess. Those things are already long gone in our district. No field trips, parties, etc. But they never charged for field trips either. The school districts here don't charge for anything.

When I began homeschooling a decade ago it would have been cheaper to send the children to public school.

Now, at least at the elementary level, I don't think I could afford to send a child to school! Bus fees of $50-ish per month, school uniforms, flash drives, gym fees, computer fees. Impossible.

Today in the news I saw that local high schools now have a $350 book rental fee, as well. $350! And a massive percentage of property taxes going to education. Something is rotten or broken.

:lol: I've told my kids that the reason they can't go to the local elementary or middle school is because I'd get them into too much trouble.

:iagree: Except it would be my husband, not me.

Our school's PTA purchases all the school supplies (elementary anyway). No list of things to bring.

The first time a friend clued me in that school supply lists include gobs of items that are FOR THE CLASS, not the child's personal item, I was flabbergasted! I couldn't believe my ears!

My oldest is going to private high school beginning this fall. Although there isn't a long list of "shared" items, it still chaps me a little that I have to send her with two tissue boxes to share. For freakin' real? I'm paying a zillion dollars in tuition, but I have to send her with community tissues as well. :rolleyes: Can't people bring their own tissues?

I think the guilt inducing sales ploys are what pays for them here-you know, wrapping paper, chocolate, bucket o popcorn.

But then those costs aren't for sports, either. And I think the soccer teams are costing 125 this year, too.

I swear I'm, making out cheaper homeschooling, Bonus!

:iagree: I don't think I have the patience for my child to be in public school.

I like being able to set our own budget too.