Menu

How many meals do you fix each day?

I've found, as my kids have gotten older, that we all do better if they fix their own breakfast, I pull out stuff for them to fix their lunches, and then we have a regular dinner.

But, to avoid people fixing meals, we've instituted a breakfast by 8:00 rule. If you're late, you can have a hard-boiled egg and/or yogurt, but NOTHING that needs to be made. I pull out stuff for lunch, and then call everyone to fix their lunch from what is out on the counter. Then, it all gets put away.

Anytime during the day they can eat fruit. And I keep a container of trail mix out on the counter that they are welcome to have.

So, how do you keep yours well-fed, happy, and maintain sanity?

I love this idea! My kids all get up at various times (just during the summer), so breakfast has been an all-morning affair. Very frustrating. But, I like the idea of keeping hard boiled eggs on hand for the occasional school morning where one gets up late.

Our lunches are always leftovers from the night before. So, I get them out and everyone makes his/her own.

Snacks are what drive me insane!!! My older two will actually cook snacks - eggs/potatoes, for example. So, it never feels like the kitchen is clean!!

It's very similar around here.

I don't make breakfast as a rule. They usually make their own -- a sandwich, bowl of cereal, frozen waffle, nutri-grain bar, fruit, yogurt, etc. On the weekends, my hubby will make breakfast (pancakes, eggs and bacon, etc.)

I sometimes make lunch and sometimes I don't, but it's usually simple things -- salad, sandwiches, soup, mac & cheese, etc.

Dinner is always prepared and whoever is home sits down to eat (not always the case with our oldest daughter!). Sometimes I cook and sometimes my husband cooks -- it all depends.

I generally make lunch (hot dogs, chicken nuggets, soup, taquitos, frozen pizza, leftovers, sandwiches...) and then DH and I work on dinner together. If I am at the studio late, he cooks; if I have been home all day and he has been outside working, I cook; if we have both been busy or home, we cook together.

Sometimes we cook a big breakfast together too. But generally we do cereal or oatmeal. DS can get his own breakfast and snacks, but DD needs help with breakfast.

This weekend we had waffles and bacon for breakfast :) but we were going to a party for dinner that night.

Most of the time, we cook two meals a day.

It was similar to that for us.

Both dc were lactose intolerant, meaning no cold cereal, ever. I always cooked something for breakfast, but on a small scale, KWIM? We ate together. Then we had simple lunches--sandwiches and whatnot, usually no *real* "cooking"--and I cooked dinner.

Eventually dc were busy and doing their own thing and responsible for their own meals, such that I only cooked dinner.

Of course, there were only two dc, not a houseful. :-)

A friend with a large-ish family (6 dc at last count, over 25 years ago, so maybe more after that) had a very structured schedule: they all got up and got dressed (including shoes) and made beds, then came down for breakfast; the kitchen was clean and untouched until lunch; they prepared lunch, ate together and cleaned the kitchen; then they prepared dinner and cleaned the kitchen. No messing around in there between meals. It seemed to work for them. :-)

I've wondered how the Duggars do it. :blink:

0-3. It just depends on my mood and what is going on any particular day.

:iagree:

There are times that I'm much more in touch with my inner-Martha, and really enjoy creating 3 great meals...and then there are the times I'm more than okay with cereal for dinner...don't judge me...Most of the time it's somewhere in the middle. A typical day is everyone grabs their own breakfast, either my older daughter or I will throw in something easy for lunch (nuggets, fish sticks, etc.), and then I'll make dinner.

2.5. I make lunches for the kids and myself. I make dinner for everyone (though DH sometimes helps or makes dinner on his own).

Breakfast I help with if the kids want something they can't get on their own--toasted things, oatmeal, sunbutter and jelly sandwich, eggs. Mostly eaten by the 3 year old. But I make DH his morning coffee and bagel and pack his cooler bag with snack food for work every morning (nuts, fruit, yogurt, pop).

I don't like to cook. But I cook from scratch because it's healthier and cheaper. I do buy the occasional bag of chicken strips and fries for those nights when I just do not have it in me to cook a real meal.

I fix one meal: supper. I always cook enough to leave leftovers for the next day's lunch.

When each of us is hungry at midday (any time between 11:30-3), we each scoop out our portion of the leftovers, zap them, and eat.

As for breakfast, everyone prepares his or her breakfast upon waking, or when hungry (between 8-10am). We always have hot and cold cereal, toast w/spreads, eggs, pancake mix and occasionally muffins or quick breads on hand, so there is a good selection for everyone to have what they want.

Most of us are hungry for a snack between 4-6pm (we eat dinner at 9pm), and again, we each choose fruit, yogurt, nuts, a few small cookies, popcorn, etc., based on our tastes.

My family members' self-sufficiency probably has a lot to do with the fact that my kids are older. I would say we have been following this routine since about age 8-9.

Keep in mind that I have only two kids to feed.

But I generally make just two meals: breakfast and dinner.

Breakfast tends to have me preparing multiple different things, since it's rare that both kids and I want the same thing. Sometimes, my husband eats breakfast before he leaves, but not often. And when he does, it's always the same thing as at least one other person is having.

For example, this morning my son had toast, hash browns and a fruit smoothie. My daughter had biscuits, applesauce, soy milk and orange juice. I had a smoothie and a handful of pretzels. (They were handy.)

The kids are on their own for lunch.

We all eat dinner together most days, and I make it almost every time. Occasionally, on weekends, my husband and/or the kids will take care of dinner. But it's rare.

I used to make all three meals, but I "retired" from making lunch when my son (the younger one) was old enough to make his own.

2.5. I make lunches for the kids and myself. I make dinner for everyone. Breakfast I help with if the kids want something they can't get on their own.

This is me. But this thread has me wondering if I really need to do all that myself! I have this ideal-Mommy-image/guilt thing that kicks in if the kids fix their own lunches. I feel neglectful and lazy. But maybe that's silly -- it's not like I'm laying on the couch! Hmmm... food for thought as we begin the new school year.

I've found, as my kids have gotten older, that we all do better if they fix their own breakfast, I pull out stuff for them to fix their lunches, and then we have a regular dinner.

But, to avoid people fixing meals, we've instituted a breakfast by 8:00 rule. If you're late, you can have a hard-boiled egg and/or yogurt, but NOTHING that needs to be made. I pull out stuff for lunch, and then call everyone to fix their lunch from what is out on the counter. Then, it all gets put away.

Anytime during the day they can eat fruit. And I keep a container of trail mix out on the counter that they are welcome to have.

This is almost exactly how I do it, except I'm a little more lax about breakfast. I don't cook breakfasts most times, don't even like it in fact, so breakfast is whatever any child wants to make themselves from: 1) cereal 2) fruit 3) yogurt 4)muffins or bagels.

Lunch is all together, but everyone may or may not have the same thing. Sometimes, I'll throw together some mac n cheese or I'll do bacon for BLT's, but generally, they make their own and one of us will help the youngest if needed.

Dinners are regular, homemade dinners most of the time. My two big kids make dinner at times.

I haven't gotten breakfast for years. It's granola bars, cold cereal, honey buns, and the like. I do pour a glass of milk for each of them :D. Breakfast is right around 8:00.

For lunch I'll make sandwiches, hot dogs, mac & cheese, or something else that is simple. Or I'll tell them to grab something. We eat around noon.

I cook dinner every night. We usually eat between 7:00 and 8:30.

Snack is at 3:00, though it's been shifted to 3:30 recently (there is a show that they like on PBS that comes on then that I let them watch).

I do keep fruit out, and if they are hungry they can most always have a piece of fruit.

We do pretty much the same, minus the fruit, trail mix and breakfast time limit (kitchen usually gets shut when Mom is done with her morning coffee.)

We have chickens so they are always welcome to cook up an egg or two, as we seem over run most weeks. I also always keep carrots, celery and PB in the fridge that are free for the taking. Usually though, they don't want to make the extra effort unless they're really hungry.

2-3 plus snacks. Three different sets of food allergies plus a dh with gastritis/possible ulcer means lots of scratch cooking and often separate meals for different needs.

I always make breakfast although it's almost never more than cereal, oatmeal, muffins, or toast. The children make each other's lunch most of the time (each older girl helps one young sibling - that's as far as our resemblance to the Duggars goes :lol:). About half the time now I'm making dh a lunch to take to work, plus my own and often one child when their "lunch helper" is busy or lazy, lol. Snacks are a free for all but I'll make something in particular once in a while. The girls are learning to bake too so they enjoy making cookies or muffins occasionally. Dinner is always and forevermore on my shoulders. My poor family. :lol:

A friend with a large-ish family (6 dc at last count, over 25 years ago, so maybe more after that) had a very structured schedule: they all got up and got dressed (including shoes) and made beds, then came down for breakfast; the kitchen was clean and untouched until lunch; they prepared lunch, ate together and cleaned the kitchen; then they prepared dinner and cleaned the kitchen. No messing around in there between meals. It seemed to work for them. :-)

I've wondered how the Duggars do it. :blink:

We also do it this way.

How do the Duggars do it?

I don't make breakfast - we keep fruit and yogurt on hand. The only exception is sometimes in the winter I will make oatmeal. We are currently transitioning to ds making his own lunch - fruit and sandwiches usually (he really likes fruit) with the occasional snack of goldfish or cheerios thrown in. I make dinner most nights, but at least once a week we have "clean out the fridge night". Depending on how many leftovers we have, sometimes it takes two nights to clean out the fridge since there are only 3 of us.

I make 3 meals or my dd helps and makes one. We recently cut snacks down to fruit, veggies, yogurt, string cheese or an occasional freeze pop and once a week on the weekends I will make brownies or cupcakes or something (lowfat and with hidden purees in them)

I am working hard to do 3 healthy meals a day and minimize snacking unless its something healthy and they can get on their own. I was spending too much money on junk food and we were eating horrible.

I fix three meals a day, plus snacks. But my older children can and do sometimes start oatmeal or eggs or make sandwiches or get snacks. If they do, it's for everyone.

:iagree: except my baby gets hungry at non-meal times, and of course he nurses on an independent schedule.

My older two have played restaurant all this week so they have handled lunch for me. It has been very nice to be a consultant rather than the worker.

Breakfast is the one meal I truly enjoy cooking. I often bake - banana bread, muffins, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, or monkey bread, but may do pancakes, scrambled eggs, breakfast tacos, etc.

Lunch is a sandwich, leftovers, or whatever else the kids can find.

Supper is usually cooked by dh and I together (he grills the meat and I do the sides).

I make dinner. The kids are responsible for their own breakfast and lunch. I

Same except my SO makes dinner. I hate to cook, despise it. My DD is older and is responsible for her own bkfast and lunch generally. SO cooks dinner except on occasion (like tonight) when I cooked.

My kiddos are far too young to prepare their own meals. They are welcome to get yogurt, crackers, veggies and dip. Otherwise it's all mom helping. My dd8 is able to make pb&j sandwiches as well as meat and cheese sandwiches but that's the safest meal that she can make and that I'd allow her to make as of right now. If there are leftovers, I dish their plates and call for them to come eat. My dd6 and dd8 can pour their own drinks and if they want cereal they can fix that themselves, however I don't see that as a nutrious breakfast and usually allow cereal as a snack between breakfast and lunch.

However I will say that my children were clearing their spot at the table by the age of 18 months. YES alot of what was left on their dish would end up on the floor next to the garbage can but because I didn't freak out and taught them to help me clean up the mess..within a few months they were clearing their own plate without much mess if any at all! This is saying ALOT for kids that age because almost ALL kids that have come to my home that is 18m+ expect their parents to clear their spot. I however don't do that for my dc. And now it's first nature for them to clear their own spot without thinking twice.

I usually cook one or three a day, prepare all three....as in if DS wants yogurt and fruit for breakfast, well that's prepping - if he wants eggs, that's cooking! This year DS is getting a bit more independent with the breakfasts and some lunches, but now with the baby, I'm feeding someone all the time! I don't eat breakfast, neither does DH.....so it's just the kids. DH is on his own for lunch at work - we usually eat here for lunch. I always cook dinner (unless we eat out, which is a couple of times a month).

My kids are old enough to make their own breakfast if they want to. This morning ds made blueberry pancakes for everyone. I don't often eat breakfast and can't remember the last time I cooked anything for it, except for granola and muffins and such, but I don't make those things in the morning. For some reason, I don't love waking up and cooking things.

I don't often cook for lunch, either. Sometimes I'll make soup, but usually when I make soup for dinner, I make enough to have for lunch for the next couple days. Mostly, I'll heat something up in the oven (usually leftovers or nachos) if we aren't having sandwiches or something of that sort. I guess my kids are old enough to work out lunch, too; ds likes to pull dough from the fridge and make little personal pizzas, so I just have him make one for me, too :tongue_smilie:.

I always cook dinner. And I do prepare snacky sort of things to keep on hand for the week.

Glad you posted this! I've been having my kids do more meals on their own.... And I've been getting quite a lot of push back. They still must do it, even though I've secretly wondered if I've been asking "too much" of them! I know with my oldest entering middle school, and the subjects I need to cover with all my dc, I need help. It's a matter of keeping my sanity.

For now, in preparation for the new school year, I am still making some breakfasts, while training them to take over by Sept. Lunches, I get out choices and they come up with what they want from there. I cook dinner M-F, dh cooks/grills on weekends. Since I hate cooking, this arrangement suits me fine. Of course, I'll like it best in Sept! :D