Menu

s/o modesty while swimming (a little vent, a little safety concern)

so many keep saying girls should where a tee shirt over their suit. Others say it isn't necessary for boys.

Have you swum in a tee shirt? I make my upper level swim classes do it to show them how it weights you down and to explain why in survival swimming you often need to just take your clothes off. When playing a big tee shirt on a skinny teen can easily float up and cover the face--very unsafe.

In the early 1900s when swimming for recreation was just beginning to be popular, women didn't swim. They had bathing suits. Those suits contained about 20 yards more wool then men's suits. A male instructor wondered why women wouldn't try learning swim tried on a woman's suit and found out why. He couldn't swim in it. Granted tee shirts are less restricting, but modesty has been used to restrict women for ages.

I guess for a play activity at a water park or pool being able to really swim for safety is less of an issue. Here I think if you have the tee shirt rule it should be on both sexes because of the constraints it causes in the water. If the girls can't move freely, why should the boys be able to either.

In open water, where there is less control--beaches, lakes, rivers--I think tee shirts are a bad idea. If one is planning to be in the water he/she should wear attire that does not restrict movement. There are plenty of modest swim wear options. If you have to make a rule about full coverage make it clear at the beginning of the swim season (when mom's are buying boys and girls swim attire) and apply it fairly.

I'm not into bikinis. I've told dd if she wanted one, she'd have to go with the sport bra type that stays in place, because she does get in the water and play, but she chooses to wear one pieces and tankinis.

That said I think modesty seems to be an area which is used to hold women back and blame women for behaviors that are within another persons self control.

You make some great points, looking at the history of swimwear!

My gripe is that I want to go to a swimming pool to swim. Once there, I cannot swim because the pools are used for nothing but water games and anything other than swimming. A portion of the pool usually is reserved for swim team members. If someone tries to swim laps where general public are allowed, the other people react resentfully, as if swimming were some unexpected and outlandish activity. :confused:

My gripe is that I want to go to a swimming pool to swim. Once there, I cannot swim because the pools are used for nothing but water games and anything other than swimming. A portion of the pool usually is reserved for swim team members. If someone tries to swim laps where general public are allowed, the other people react resentfully, as if swimming were some unexpected and outlandish activity. :confused:

Its all about sharing. I can't understand your "gripe". As an adult you are free to "swim" during the periods when children have to sit out.

I can not imagine why one would feel compelled to complain that people are playing in the local pool.

Regarding modesty, I find it disconcerting how some tween/ teens act and dress. The ones who wear skimpy bikinis arent necessarily the ones who act in ways I find inappropriate. So I guess I think its less about the suit and more about behaving in an attractive natural way rather than calling attention to oneself by being brazen and loud etc.

Yeah, when I was in the army, we had to do "drownproofing" every year. We basically had to jump into the pool with our uniform on and try to take off our uniform while IN the water. You sink like a ROCK. I could never even keep my head above water. We were just staying underwater to take everything off, instead of fighting it AND take off your clothing.

I think fabric soaks up a lot of water. It was eye-opening how difficult it was to swim with all that stuff on.

Its all about sharing. I can't understand your "gripe". As an adult you are free to "swim" during the periods when children have to sit out.

I can not imagine why one would feel compelled to complain that people are playing in the local pool.

You misread me. Nowhere did I say playing in the pool is wrong or something to dislike.

There is no "sharing". The pools have become giant playtubs exclusively and traditional swimming is treated as if it were wrong. There is plenty of room for both activities.

Children? They are the polite people ! :)

It doesn't make sense, does it?

At our community rec center pool, members can use the swim team section when it is not in use by swim team.

Thankfully there are now t-shirts and rash guards that you can buy in swimsuit material, so the *danger* of wearing a t-shirt is minimal. When my kids took swim lessons at Miller Swim School, nearly all of the instructors wore regular t-shirts over their suits or with their shorts. I've worn t-shirts over my suit, and they certainly didn't weigh me down to the point that I couldn't swim (if at all). I can't imagine that even happening unless it was made of denim or some other heavy material. So from a safety perspective, I don't see this as much of an issue.

From a modesty perspective, however.... Unless the t-shirt is dark, you're more modest without it. Wearing a suit with a light t-shirt that clings to the suit and curvy bits under it when it gets wet is far more...titillating than not having on a t-shirt at all.

Swimming, real swimming is certainly hampered if the swimmer is wearing a regular t-shirt. I don't think many pools even allow it, do they? Our local ones do not.

Our local pools have a 'no street clothes' policy. People would be asked to change if they tried to enter the pool in T-shirts or other non-swimwear clothing.

Also, cotton T-shirts when wet increase the chance of hypothermia. We forbid our seascouts wearing any cotton in the water. A hot summer's day at the beach / pool does not mean that hypothermia isn't possible.

Edited by Deb in NZ

Rash guards work here for us. They keep the sun off, cover up modestly, don't float up, and don't get weighed down. Another plus, we stay warmer when we get out of the pool. We wear these at the indoor pool, too, for modesty. With our rash guards, we wear matching swim-mini skirts. I feel like my child is the most modest when we go to a pool, but she doesn't look weird. Actually, a lot of moms approach me and ask where they can find this swimsuit (Lands End.)

In addition to the fact that t-shirts get too heavy, I don't like to see girls wearing them, because they stick too close to the body, and are not modest, in my opinion. (why guys like a wet t-shirt contest.) We were at a pool party recently for my daughter's girls group. None of the girls wore a two-piece; all the families are modest. One family made their daughters wear t-shirts over their suit and the wet shirt really brought a lot of attention to those girl's bodies, actually the opposite of what the parents were intending.

We were watching a Disney science video yesterday and I was pleased to see the male host wearing a rash guard shirt when he went on the water slides.

I love my rash guard. My upper body stays warmer when I get out of the pool, I can swim just fine in it, and I don't have to constantly remember to reapply sunscreen to my shoulders. The tops of my shoulders burn very, very easily and so does my red-head boy's....he refuses to swim without his rash guard shirt.

Faith

I think people should be allowed to wear what is comfortable for them. I swam in a t-shirt from the time I hit puberty until I became pregnant with Luke. I'm self-concious and I hated it when people would take it upon themselves to read me the right act, because I CHOSE to cover up. Now, dd swims in shorts and t-shirts. I am quick to cut off the 'well meaning' comments of strangers. She is happy wearing that and her time at the beach is about her enjoying herself, not joining some fashion parade.

We also like rashguards and I think they cover both issues of modesty and safety.

For the person who said they can't swim at the pool. Is the pool big enough that they could put up one lane for swimming? Several of the pools here leave up a lane for those who would like to swim laps.

I think people should be allowed to wear what is comfortable for them. I swam in a t-shirt from the time I hit puberty until I became pregnant with Luke. I'm self-concious and I hated it when people would take it upon themselves to read me the right act, because I CHOSE to cover up. Now, dd swims in shorts and t-shirts. I am quick to cut off the 'well meaning' comments of strangers. She is happy wearing that and her time at the beach is about her enjoying herself, not joining some fashion parade.

I think people have pointed out that this isnt just about fashion. Appropriate swim wear is about safety too. I think a tee and shorts can be adorable if they are made of appropriate material Lands End has a lot of cute options,

Another rash guard family here too. Even my oldest dd14 wears boy swim trunks and a rash guard, her choice. She can't stand the idea of being out in public in what amounts to her underwear. I don't really blame her. She wants to goof off and have fun around her guy friends without constantly worrying about flashing someone. She doesn't feel they are constricting at all.

I love my rash guard. My upper body stays warmer when I get out of the pool, I can swim just fine in it, and I don't have to constantly remember to reapply sunscreen to my shoulders. The tops of my shoulders burn very, very easily and so does my red-head boy's....he refuses to swim without his rash guard shirt.

Faith

We all wear rashguards too. Sun protection is the main reason. I always burn on the shoulders like you. My oldest had a bad burn when younger when we stopped to play in the fountains at the park and he took his shirt off. I didn't think to sunscreen him since we weren't going to be there long. He blistered across his shoulders. Now he won't go out without a rashguard.

Not all pools have adult swim. And those that do only have it for 10-15 minutes. How can you do a workout in 10 minutes?

Its all about sharing.

Right. And I have even had people tell me not to swim in the lanes marked for "swimmers" because I made "too many waves" while swimming So much for sharing.

They keep the sun off, cover up modestly, don't float up, and don't get weighed down.

I saw a kid at swim lessons the other day. He was in Level 3, could barely tread water, and the air in his rash guard held him up. He won't be learning how to tread water in that shirt.

When my kids took swim lessons at Miller Swim School, nearly all of the instructors wore regular t-shirts over their suits or with their shorts. I've worn t-shirts over my suit, and they certainly didn't weigh me down to the point that I couldn't swim (if at all).

One would like to assume that instructors were stronger swimmers than the child just learning to swim. Most kids up through Level 5 can barely get their arms out of the water after the first length. A t-shirt definitely has an effect on them.

I think people should be allowed to wear what is comfortable for them. I swam in a t-shirt from the time I hit puberty until I became pregnant with Luke. I'm self-concious and I hated it when people would take it upon themselves to read me the right act, because I CHOSE to cover up.

The issue is not that you choose to cover up - but what you cover up in. There is the safety issue already mentioned and there is also a pool maintenance issue. Cotton (as in t-shirts) dumps lint in the pool, which gums up the filter (especially when mixed in with all the hair, sun screen, boy lotion and conditioner that get in it.) That's why we always have lint filters in our dryers.

I have a friend whose daughter's swim in trunks and rash guards. She said they chose them because they felt they could never get a bathing suit that fit right and so something was always riding up or needing to be adjusted, pulled on, etc. These ladies play hard in the pool and she said that one day they got sick of it and asked for boy's suits. So, they went shopping. I don't blame them...I wear a type of trunk too because I was so tired of things that didn't fit right or if they did, it cost $75.00-100.00 which is way more than I want to spend on a swimsuit.

Faith

I'm not sure where the t-shirt for modesty idea came from. A wet, clingy, regular cotton t-shirt is not exactly a modest thing.

I'm beginning to realize that modesty is more than attire. I've seen youth wearing overly modest swim attire climbing all over each other in the pool looking anything but modest. I've seen youth in swim shorts and a halter top playing water volleyball, having a great time in the pool but criticized for exposing their midsections.

We've known families that would not allow boys and girls to swim together. They would only use private pools and insist all the girls wear one piece suits and no boys be present.

Common sense and safety must rule the day when it comes to swimming. Regular street clothing gets heavy in the water and fatigues the swimmer. Skimpy bikinis with lots of "bling" is probably not a great choice for swimming and playing either. I've heard people say they have 2 suits, one for laying out and one for swimming.

Just my 2 cents

I'm not sure where the t-shirt for modesty idea came from. A wet, clingy, regular cotton t-shirt is not exactly a modest thing.

I'm beginning to realize that modesty is more than attire. I've seen youth wearing overly modest swim attire climbing all over each other in the pool looking anything but modest. I've seen youth in swim shorts and a halter top playing water volleyball, having a great time in the pool but criticized for exposing their midsections.

We've known families that would not allow boys and girls to swim together. They would only use private pools and insist all the girls wear one piece suits and no boys be present.

Common sense and safety must rule the day when it comes to swimming. Regular street clothing gets heavy in the water and fatigues the swimmer. Skimpy bikinis with lots of "bling" is probably not a great choice for swimming and playing either. I've heard people say they have 2 suits, one for laying out and one for swimming.

Just my 2 cents

Well, my husband's family did this and it really was modest. But then, we're talking older, saggy and busty women. They didn't really swim, now that I think about it. More just spending time in the lake.

Let them act resentful. You aren't doing anything wrong. But you also can't expect them to clear a path for you. Personally, I would talk to the staff to see if you could use the swim team portion especially if it isn't being used while you are there. It probably is ok for lap swim and I can't imagine that it gets used all day long.

To the original question, (I didn't read the modesty thread). Is there a reason that the rash gaurd shirts aren't useful? I agree that a t-shirt is weighty. But I require my fair skinned children to wear either a tee or a rash gaurd for sun protection. The rash gaurds are easier to swim in.

At our local outdoor pool, there are 2 lap lanes blocked off for adults (or kids) who want to swim laps. If no one is swimming laps, people can play there. I really appreciated this when my kids were younger, because I could get a workout in at the same time my kids were there to play.

It would be useless to try to swim laps only during the "adult swim" 10 minutes per hour at our pool when the pool is closed to children- can't get a decent workout in in 10 minutes!

There are a lot of Muslims in my area. Some of the kids go into the pool completely dressed in regular clothes (jeans, long sleeved shirts). I think it's dangerous. It's just about impossible to swim in jeans. They aren't supposed to, but nobody enforces the rules.

Then again there are women who wear next to nothing (and don't have the body for it).

I'm not sure what is worse. :D

A lot of the ladies here in TX swim at the waterpark in an abaya (I'm sure that is spelled wrong - you know, the long black robe/dress with headcovering like they wear in Iran). I'm always scared that it will get sucked into the pool filter and they will drown. Of course, their husbands and sons are in trunks with no shirt. Kind of peeves me, really. But that's another topic.

In my family, we all wear rashguards and men's trunks. For sun protection and modesty. Our rashguards are snug, so there is no air being trapped under them.

so many keep saying girls should where a tee shirt over their suit. Others say it isn't necessary for boys.

Have you swum in a tee shirt? I make my upper level swim classes do it to show them how it weights you down and to explain why in survival swimming you often need to just take your clothes off. When playing a big tee shirt on a skinny teen can easily float up and cover the face--very unsafe.

In the early 1900s when swimming for recreation was just beginning to be popular, women didn't swim. They had bathing suits. Those suits contained about 20 yards more wool then men's suits. A male instructor wondered why women wouldn't try learning swim tried on a woman's suit and found out why. He couldn't swim in it. Granted tee shirts are less restricting, but modesty has been used to restrict women for ages.

I guess for a play activity at a water park or pool being able to really swim for safety is less of an issue. Here I think if you have the tee shirt rule it should be on both sexes because of the constraints it causes in the water. If the girls can't move freely, why should the boys be able to either.

In open water, where there is less control--beaches, lakes, rivers--I think tee shirts are a bad idea. If one is planning to be in the water he/she should wear attire that does not restrict movement. There are plenty of modest swim wear options. If you have to make a rule about full coverage make it clear at the beginning of the swim season (when mom's are buying boys and girls swim attire) and apply it fairly.

I'm not into bikinis. I've told dd if she wanted one, she'd have to go with the sport bra type that stays in place, because she does get in the water and play, but she chooses to wear one pieces and tankinis.

That said I think modesty seems to be an area which is used to hold women back and blame women for behaviors that are within another persons self control.

:iagree:

We use rashguard t-shirts - the fabric doesn't weigh you down. We use them for sun protection, but they are modest too.

Laura

Yep, my kids have an Irish fair skinned Daddy so at least 2 of them HAVE to wear them, but I also like them or modesty.

I wore a t-shirt over my suit by choice from about 8-16 because I wasn't comfortable with my body. I had no real problem swimming like that, and it was even a loose, baggy t-shirt. I did eventually realize that my body wasn't really any significantly different than anyone else's, and that it was more comfortable swimming in just a suit. But really, it wasn't a huge deal.

I do like rashguard shirts for sun protection for both boys and girls, though.

We use rashguard t-shirts - the fabric doesn't weigh you down. We use them for sun protection, but they are modest too.

Laura

This is what my sons do as well. The fabric is like the girls' swimsuit fabric and my boys say they feel naked without a shirt. ;)

This is what my sons do as well. The fabric is like the girls' swimsuit fabric and my boys say they feel naked without a shirt. ;)

My boys grew up wearing rash guards at outdoor pools in Hong Kong. When we moved to Scotland and they (eventually) went to school, it felt strange to them to swim without a shirt in the school pool.

Laura

I live in a community where there is a large Jewish population and many of the women have to be completely covered. I have seen women in tops with full arm coverage and ankle length skirts all made of light weight swim fabric. It's pretty extreme as far as complete coverage, but it does show that it is possible to be quite modest and still wear appropriate swim wear. I doubt they could swim laps in the skirts, but perfectly fine for playing with kids.

Our local pools have a 'no street clothes' policy. People would be asked to change if they tried to enter the pool in T-shirts or other non-swimwear clothing.

At our local public pool, which tends to follow a lot of best practices type guidelines, you can only go in w/ a rashguard top or a wicking shirt like underarmour.

No cotton tees allowed. They also do not allow any life vests, water wings, innertube/ring type things, etc.

My son prefers to wear a rash guard because he hats putting on sunscreen and it saves him some application time :-). I have to respectfully disagree that they are warmer out of the water. I find that I'm warmer when covered wight eh LEAST amount of wet fabric, so a bikini is actually the warmest because more of your skin is dry.

Personally, I don't find the midriff immodest or scandalous in any way. I'd MUCH rather see someone's stomach than too much chest or rear cleavage. No Erotitummy issues here :D. I did start purchasing suits with shorts or skirts when I discovered that they eliminate the necessity for Emergency Swimsuit Shaving. They DO cover more, but since they drag in the water it can be a bit dangerous to just hop out of the pool. Sometimes those bottoms try to stay in the water when you lift yourself out of the side of the pool!!! They're NOT more modest if they are setting you up for a wardrobe malfunction!

My public pool has dedicated lap lanes. If anyone tries to play in them they get kicked out immediately. The kids who go there regularly don't even try any more. My neighborhood actually has several pools and some of them have separate adults-only hours outside the normal hours of operation. They often have baby pool hours at the same time, so there are a few less crowded hours for seniors and little kids to use their respective pools without enduring the energy and noise level of the school-aged set. These same pools also prohibit street clothes in the pool. I've seen them ask people to get out who were swimming in regular gym shorts.

KFP

Edited by KungFuPanda

I saw a kid at swim lessons the other day. He was in Level 3, could barely tread water, and the air in his rash guard held him up. He won't be learning how to tread water in that shirt.

This should not happen if the shirt fits properly. His shirt was probably too big. My daughter has been wearing rash guards for years now. She does not wear anything under it and it has never filled with air or floated up in her face. Maybe the boy's mom can take the sides in so it fits more snugly.

Any links on where one can buy these rash guards for plus sizes and for men and boys?

I have a ladies size 2X and my husband has a men's size XL; both are from Land's End. Mine is long sleeved, but they also come with short sleeved, which is what my husband has. I need the long sleeves because I have fair skin, am on meds that make my skin more sensitive to the sun, and I regularly get abnormal moles.

Rash guards should fit snugly. My girls swim in them all the time and they are tight, tight, tight. The more coverage from the sun, the better. I wish they had made them like they do now when I was little. I was so pale and burned so easily.

Personally, I hate seeing people in the pool in their street clothes. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just think it brings more germs into the pool. You get out and sit on something and all the dirt sticks to your wet clothes, then you track all that back into the pool. Yuck. Although, I'm also the one who cringes when I see people allowing their little ones to run back and forth between eating and swimming. Yum. Love swimming with all that gunk. Haha. Public pools apparently aren't my thing. :)

To whomever commented about "adult swim time," FWIW, we just moved to VA from UT and when they blew the whistle for break time, I kept wondering why the adults were still in the pool. In Utah, everyone has to get out. It's when they check for floaters- bodies and other things. It's when they find things like poop and vomit and close the pool.

One issue to consider is that rash guards are not available everywhere. I live in a somewhat rural community and when I was looking for modest swimwear last year I couldn't find anything at all like that. For a lot of people they feel their only choice is a tshirt for modesty sakes and the rashguards or more expensive as well. I have a workout shirt that I found at goodwill that is the same fabric as a swimsuit but would like to order a rashguard, just haven't got around to it yet. Son wears a rashguard- which is good as he is so pale. DD4 just wears a one-piece. But I'm obviously not as modesty minded as some.

Start looking on the Land's End website now, and keep checking every so often. The rash guards will go on clearance for a really good price. You can probably get free shipping, too. Some Sears stores also have a section in store with Land's End merchandise. By us, the swimsuits are already on clearance.

Sometimes Target also sells rash guards. I think they are becoming more popular so you'll probably start seeing them in more stores.

Yes, that is a good idea to watch for clearance. We don't have a Target here; WalMart, JCPenneys are the 2 biggest clothing sellers here. Nearest Target is 1-1.5 hrs away. Even finding a decent one piece is hard here most are just for looks from what I can tell.

I swim in a tankini top with board shorts. (Land's End) I love being able to dive in, and come up without looking for my suit. If the fit is right it should stay in place. I have a rash guard top, and usually wear it as a cover-up for walking to and from the beach, or when I am playing in the sand with the littles, don't want to give anyone a view right into my cleavage. My rash gaurd has a high neck, which irritates me somewhat, I might just replace it with a more moderate one, and wear it all the time. My kids, both boys and girls wear rash guards as well; two of my children are light skinned (one almost glows), and two are black. They all need sun protection and it has the added bonus of being extra modest.

The Lands End rash guards are on clearance right now in a limited variety of colors and sizes:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraShortSleeveRashGuard~215875_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Swimsuits-_-Sale-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-CoverUps-_-RashGuardsBoardShorts&origin=index

You might also check your local Sears-based LE too, for more selection. We were there yesterday and they had tons of swimsuits and separates on the clearance racks.

I'm all for rash guards and board shorts. They are appropriate swim attire. I'm just against T shirts. I'm not really about modest, but practicality. If it's going to restrict swimming, then don't wear it, likewise, if it has the potential to come off or otherwise adjust and leave you exposed then don't wear it (IOW don't play pool volleyball in skimpy bikini that will come off, likewise don't jump off the diving board). If you need to find swim attire more modest than Lands End, I know there are outlets for conservative suits for people who are Muslim and other groups. I just wear a basic tank suit that stays put.

The Lands End rash guards are on clearance right now in a limited variety of colors and sizes:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraShortSleeveRashGuard~215875_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Swimsuits-_-Sale-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-CoverUps-_-RashGuardsBoardShorts&origin=index

You might also check your local Sears-based LE too, for more selection. We were there yesterday and they had tons of swimsuits and separates on the clearance racks.

:iagree: I treated myself to a new swimsuit this year- long shorts and a rashguard from LE. It cost abour $24 for the whole thing and provides excellent sun coverage- and is great for being active in the water.

I'm a swimmer and no, I don't swim in a T-shirt, neither does DD. We both wear one pieces as that's what we are comfortable wearing. I swim at a local pool several times a week and street clothing is not allowed.

Making children wear shirts to swim, in an effort to disguise the human body or whatever, is ludicrious IMO. It's also a disservice to raise children to be ashamed of their bodies.

I believe that modesty is one way to oppress women. I believe that wholeheartedly.