Menu

s/o modesty while swimming (a little vent, a little safety concern)

Yes, that is a good idea to watch for clearance. We don't have a Target here; WalMart, JCPenneys are the 2 biggest clothing sellers here. Nearest Target is 1-1.5 hrs away. Even finding a decent one piece is hard here most are just for looks from what I can tell.

You sound like my friend who lives in Phelps County, MO. She couldn't find anything for her big trip to the beach year. But...

She ended up Land's End ordering like others have suggested. TitleNine has plenty of rash guards, and long board shorts - only in women's sizes though.

Land's End is good about returns even if you don't have a Sears store nearby.

This is the time of year in US for all of those clearance sales with swim stuff.

happy shopping.

-crystal

I'm a swimmer and no, I don't swim in a T-shirt, neither does DD. We both wear one pieces as that's what we are comfortable wearing. I swim at a local pool several times a week and street clothing is not allowed.

Making children wear shirts to swim, in an effort to disguise the human body or whatever, is ludicrious IMO. It's also a disservice to raise children to be ashamed of their bodies.

I believe that modesty is one way to oppress women. I believe that wholeheartedly.

:iagree: 100% Some people would have women covered head to toe (as in some countries now) just so women won't lead some man astray. Fact is, the head to toe coverings don't keep men's minds any more pure than a scantily clad woman.

Any links on where one can buy these rash guards for plus sizes and for men and boys?

At Walmart in the men's section they sell 'compression t-shirts' which are actually made for cycling and are made of the same material as the rash guard shirt but a little thinner. They are made to fit more tightly than a rash guard so I wear a swim dress over mine. I just got one in a men's plus size for $6.87 on markdown. They have the matching type shorts that men wear for cycling too, and I got a pair of those for $10 to wear under my swimdress on the bottom to get a bit more sun coverage down to my knees.

Making children wear shirts to swim, in an effort to disguise the human body or whatever, is ludicrious IMO. It's also a disservice to raise children to be ashamed of their bodies.

I believe that modesty is one way to oppress women. I believe that wholeheartedly.

:iagree: 100% Some people would have women covered head to toe (as in some countries now) just so women won't lead some man astray. Fact is, the head to toe coverings don't keep men's minds any more pure than a scantily clad woman.

But people who believe in the 'modesty' also normally follow a very patrocentric leader who preaches to them that all of the other Christians are on the short ramp to hell because we've allowed 'Christian feminism' into our lives.

They have answers for all of it. And thanks to Sola Scriptura they can back it up however they want.

It's so terribly sad.

I'm reading a book now written by Pope Paul 11 (;) elizabeth) and the first chapter is on how seeing the body as something bad/evil/full of sin is actually a heresy called Manichaeisim. Manichaeus condemned the body and all things sexual because he saw the material world as the source of evil. As Christians we are too see everything that God created as good.

So, anyway, they don't think it's oppression.

You sound like my friend who lives in Phelps County, MO. She couldn't find anything for her big trip to the beach year. But...

She ended up Land's End ordering like others have suggested. TitleNine has plenty of rash guards, and long board shorts - only in women's sizes though.

Land's End is good about returns even if you don't have a Sears store nearby.

This is the time of year in US for all of those clearance sales with swim stuff.

happy shopping.

-crystal

Yes, not in Phelps County here but the choices are limited. I'll have to check out the Men's section of WM for those cycle shirts. We have Sears here but it is strictly a Mower and Appliance store.

To be clear though, I know that there are options online and do order online- that is where I found board shorts last year- couldn't find those at a decent length locally. But I was just saying in some communities those options are not around and not everyone has the internet or could afford to buy them. Most likely they wouldn't even know it existed to find.

Thanks all for the links- I'll have to check and see what I can find in my size :)

While I sympathize with the historic plight of women, I find this thread a little ridiculous.

For one, because I was overweight as a teen and took a lot of harassment when I wore a regular, correctly-sized one piece at the city pool. I received less flack when I wore a t-shirt over my swimsuit. It was allowed, so I did. I liked to swim.

It's not particularly difficult or dangerous to swim in one (although I'd be open to seeing statistics on how many people wearing t-shirts drown in pools). I don't feel I was hurting the cause of women, nor do I think I was showing off my body more. Anyone who's worn one knows to pull it out as you get out of the pool the same way you readjust your swim bottoms. It certainly still covers more then your average swimsuit.

And about the pool filter, let the pool people post a sign if they have a problem. If they don't mind that's a silly argument.

In general, I see someone getting fired up about women's rights without giving women the ability to choose for themselves, even if it is something we would not choose personally. Without that shirt, I would not have bothered with swimming. Which means I may not have lost the weight. Where were the women standing up for my right to swim without being harassed constantly? Oh yeah, saying their precious kids would never do anything like that or saying the same things straight to my face.

We have a lot more problems than a cotton t-shirt in a pool. At least now we have rash guards and multiple swim options available online. I haven't noticed that people have become less judgmental though.

We have lived a lot of different places, we have moved 8 times in the last 9 years.

Actually, we saw more people wearing rash guards in Los Angeles than in various Southern Bible Belt states and the Midwest!

My kids both wear rash guards, I am allergic to sunscreen and then can more easily put their own on when all they have to worry about is their faces and a bit of their legs an arms. My daughter hates sunscreen so much, she has a long sleeved and capri pants length rash guard set that she got in the LA area. We haven't been able to find anything like it in the Midwest, I may have to order online.

I prefer them, we try to limit sunscreen. If they are just swimming for a bit, we avoid all the sunscreen chemicals and they get some vitamin D. If they are going to be at the pool for a while, they put on sunscreen.

I have to wear rash guards and stay in the shade a lot, there is not a single sunscreen or lotion that I am not allergic to.

In my experience with modesty, there may in some groups be more opportunity for girls to swim with other girls and women that may be more appropriate than having adult men supervise teenagers and then blaming the girls for being hot.

Frankly, any 16 year old is likely in better shape than us middle aged women who've had kids, so it just seems like being suspicious of teenagers or raging about immodest behavior by girls.

Maybe it's time the church group had more suitable activities than ones where people don't wear much and then being shocked. How about bowling?

This is all very interesting. We are a family that is all about modesty - but at the same time I have never covered my swimsuit with a T-shirt, nor would I expect my daughter to. I don't have a problem with 2 piece suits as long as they are well fitted and she can move around properly - I used to wear different ones than I do now (3 kids later... lol) but now I wear a more 'covering' 2 piece (tankini top with board shorts, etc - but not long ones - as long as my belly and top of my thighs are covered, I'm happy! haha)

My dd is 2, so we don't really have any swimsuit issues yet - but she has a tankini for easy diaper changes. And I have never, ever, owned a Rash guard for either of my boys. I don't know that I would, either. I feel like it's just kind of a trend and for some people to try to say that boys need to wear one for modesty (which no one on here has said, but I have heard it before elsewhere) is just ridiculous...:glare:

anyway that was kind of a rant. sry. :)

I have a few questions...do these rash guards for women have a built in bra area? I can't imagine wearing this shirt without support. It looks very loose on this model and if it's like the same kind of rash guard my kids wear, I'll have to pass!

I have a few questions...do these rash guards for women have a built in bra area? I can't imagine wearing this shirt without support. It looks very loose on this model and if it's like the same kind of rash guard my kids wear, I'll have to pass!

I don't think they do, but you can wear a bikini top underneath it for the support (or just a regular suit).

I don't think they do, but you can wear a bikini top underneath it for the support (or just a regular suit).

Thanks. I looked at the customer comments on the website and it looks like people wear swim suits of sports bras underneath. I have sports bras that are the moisture control kind and I think that would work fine.

I also saw that they have a rash guard with built in bra but from the comments, it wasn't very good.

Too bad they don't have my size on clearance now. :glare:

My ds is 11....lots of our friends have kids a bit older..13, 14, 16, 17. Wow. Just when you get to a point where you don't have worry about your kids drowning every second you have to start watching for inappropriate 'playing' in the water. I've told my ds he is not to touch ANY female while in the water and and he is not to be swimming around under the water near them.

I can well recall being a teenager in the water and all excuses for touching. :glare:

A friend and I ended up being the only adults with about 8 kids the other day. We were a ways off from where they were in the lake, but we kept our eyes on them....funny to watch the boys and girls gravitate toward each other and then, 'oops!'.....backing away.