Menu

I'm tired of hearing about Zucchini Bread!!

Is there anything else you can make with Zucchini?

My mom has tons (I mean a LOT) of Zucchini...is there anything (ANYTHING) else she can make with them?? :001_smile:

I got her to make fried zucchini once....but I think we need some more good ideas???

Does anyone have a recipe (quiche anyone?) they can share to stop the zucchini bread overload?

:D:D:D

Zucchni Brownies!

Got this from a friend. the über-healthy alterations are mine and optional, but I have to say that this is one recipe where it seems you can alter away (applesauce instead of oil, whole grain, gluten-free, almost sugar-free) and they still taste great! Haven't made these in a while, but I may have also been a bit more generous with the cocoa than the recipe suggests...

4 eggs

1 ½ cups oil or (cinnamon) applesauce

2 cup sugar ( or 2 T. brown rice syrup and stevia for rest)

2 cup flour (or 1 c. ww pastry flour, 1 c. barley flour) can also make gluten-free (millet & brown rice flour good choices)

2 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

½ c. cocoa (or carob pwdr)

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups peeled, shredded zucchini

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix together eggs, applesauce/oil, sugar, vanilla, and zucchini.

Mix the dry ingredients together and gradually add to first mixture. Pour into a greased 13x9 pan, bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes (until center is set).

May frost if desired.

Is there anything else you can make with Zucchini?

My mom has tons (I mean a LOT) of Zucchini...is there anything (ANYTHING) else she can make with them?? :001_smile:

I got her to make fried zucchini once....but I think we need some more good ideas???

Does anyone have a recipe (quiche anyone?) they can share to stop the zucchini bread overload?

:D:D:D

Sharing your pain. I do not have another zucchini recipe. This time of year we are INUNDATED with requests from gardeners to take zucchini off their hands. Well, not are, WERE. I don't like zucchini, but for years, people would not listen and always shoved zucchini on me with promises that their recipe was just divine and I would love it. NEVER. EVER. HAPPENED! So, somewhere along the way, I made it known that the last person on earth that any gardener should attempt to foist orphaned zucchini onto was FAITHMANOR! I swear, if the county had an ordinance that only one zucchini plant could be planted in each township, there would still be too much zucchini! :D

I hope you find a good recipe.

Don't plant zucchini. This is my suggestion...it's a botanical family that is attempting to take over the world! :lol:

Faith

I trying out low carb lasagna using zucchini instead of noodles today. :D

I peeled then sliced my zucchini the long way (like lasagna noodles). I salted it and left it to drain for a while because zucchini has a ton of water and I hate watery casseroles.

Later this afternoon I'll build it the way I normally do.

Edited by CalicoKat

My kids love zucchini fritters (we call them zucchini pancakes). I don't have the recipe available right now, but it's basically shredded zucchini (~2 cups?), parm cheese, bisquick and an egg. I mix it up and cook like pancakes. I will try to find the actual proportions and post them later.

Oh, I just remembered, we made zucchini brownies recently (internet recipe). Yummy!!!

I just saute it in olive oil and garlic, maybe toss in some parsley and some cherry tomato and put it on pasta. Or just maybe add some chick peas and eat it without pasta. Or with the pasta, that is ok also.

But, I am also the woman who made 20 large loaves of zucchini bread one summer. I baked it, sliced it and froze it. It was gone by the spring.

Oh, and my favorite ways to make zucchini straight up are to saute/stir-fry, grill or roast it - and just long enough so it's not mushy. I have huge texture issues with mushy zucchini. Better to cut thick and chunky; thin slices are mushy-land. And I just hate ratatouille. :ack2:

I just saute it in olive oil and garlic, maybe toss in some parsley and some cherry tomato and put it on pasta. Or just maybe add some chick peas and eat it without pasta. Or with the pasta, that is ok also.

I've been making it this way but using basil instead of parsley, and I've been adding TJ's pesto chicken sausage for some protein. Yum!

Mock crab cakes are really good. I don't know where my recipe is now, but just google it; there are tons of recipes on the net.

Cut up zucchini into bite sized pieces, sauté them in olive oil, then add some chopped tomatoes and some parmesan cheese, oregano and basal if you like. Very good.

Cut the zucchini in long slices, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and grill.

Low carb veggie lasagna, using the zucchini in place of the pasta sheets.

I found this recipe online and it looks like the one we use.

1/4 c. parmesan cheese

1 c. Bisquick or pancake flour

2 c. grated zucchini

1 egg

Can't wait to hear what everyone else does with their zucchini! :bigear:

Edited by sunriseiz

Margaret' date=' what do you use in place of the flour? Do you know if almond flour/meal would work? I am newly diagnosed diabetic and need to eat very low carb and am looking for interesting recipes.

Thanks![/quote']

I think any kind of flour would work. The flour and eggs just help bind things together imo.

Sharing your pain. I do not have another zucchini recipe. This time of year we are INUNDATED with requests from gardeners to take zucchini off their hands. Well, not are, WERE. I don't like zucchini, but for years, people would not listen and always shoved zucchini on me with promises that their recipe was just divine and I would love it. NEVER. EVER. HAPPENED! So, somewhere along the way, I made it known that the last person on earth that any gardener should attempt to foist orphaned zucchini onto was FAITHMANOR! I swear, if the county had an ordinance that only one zucchini plant could be planted in each township, there would still be too much zucchini! :D

I hope you find a good recipe.

Don't plant zucchini. This is my suggestion...it's a botanical family that is attempting to take over the world! :lol:

Faith

:iagree:And you are more of a woman that I because I would never even have tried!!!

I make lasagna with zucchini noodles, just like PP - and seconding the reminder -don't forget to salt and drain!

I also sautee with olive oil and other veggies and serve over pasta with pecorino romano cheese.

I also shred it and sautee in olive oil then throw it into scrambled eggs with pecorino romano cheese.

And I use it in a fritata that my whole family loves: sautee diced zucchini with onion then add diced tomato and fresh mint and basil. Beat the eggs with a little milk, combine and add in as much feta cheese as you like. Put back in pan until edges are set and then broil in the oven until brown on top. YUM!

I made a chocolate zucchini cake once. A little bland. I think adding the orange glaze would help.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/zucchini-chocolate-cake-with-orange-glaze-recipe

Otherwise I like them sliced in circles, somewhat thinly, and sauteed with loads of garlic. They're also good in vegetable stews, reasonably good roasted, and can be hidden in pureed pasta sauce. You can also put it in lasagne.

Margaret' date=' what do you use in place of the flour? Do you know if almond flour/meal would work? I am newly diagnosed diabetic and need to eat very low carb and am looking for interesting recipes.

Thanks![/quote']

:( Sorry, about your dianosis! This wouldn't help you, but I use GF Bisquik. I use it instead of the flour and baking powder in the original recipe I linked. Do you use good almond flour like Honeyville? I just discovered this and haven't used it yet.

Tastes like Apple Pie Zucchini Pie

Ingredients

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

2 large zucchini

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 pinch salt

1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 pinch ground nutmeg

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions

Peel the zucchini. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then remove seeds and cut crosswise (as you would cut apples for apple pie). Toss together 4 cups chopped zucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.

In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, cream of tartar, nutmeg and flour. Add the cooked zucchini to sugar mixture and mix well. It will be a little runny, but that's OK.

Place filling into a 9 inch pie crust, dot with butter, and place top crust on. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Savory Zucchini Pie

Ingredients

1 (10 inch) unbaked pie crust

2 tablespoons butter, melted

2/3 cup bacon bits

4 cups diced zucchini

4 eggs

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

1 teaspoon onion salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Brush crust with melted butter. Sprinkle bacon bits inside crust. Place zucchini, eggs and cream in a blender; puree until smooth. Pour zucchini mixture into a bowl and stir in marjoram, onion salt and cayenne. Fold cheese and pour mixture into pie crust.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until set.

MOCK APPLE PIE SQUARES I just received this and it had rave reviews from the ladies at church

4 c Flour

2 c Sugar

1/2 t Salt

1 1/2 C cold butter

Filling

8 cups peeled,sliced zucchini

2/3 c Lemon Juice

1 c Sugar

1 t Cinnamon

1/4 t Nutmeg

we like all spice, cloves so I might add them also

In large bowl combine flour, salt, sugar. cut in butter til coarse crumbs. Press 1/2 of mixture into greased 15x10x1 baking pan. Bake 375 for 10-12 min til lightly browned. Set remaining crumb mixture aside

Meanwhile in large saucepan, bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-6 min til tender. Drain. Stir in sugar, spices and 1/2 c of the reserved crumb minsture. Cook and stir for 2-3 min.

Spread filling evenly over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 in til golden brown cut into squares. Yields 2 1/2 dozen squares.

Dice boneless chicken and saute in a little butter or olive oil until done. Remove from pan. Add a bit more oil or butter and add zucchini slices- we use 3 times as much zucchini as chicken. Salt, pepper, and garlic, saute until browned. ( we actually cook them together in the same pan, starting zucchini earlier because we like it really browned.)

WHile you're doing the above, bring water to a boil and cook a package of cheese ravioli- we like the kind you buy fresh but frozen is fine.

Drain the ravioli, add to the skillet with zucchini. Add the chicken back in, and add about 1/3 cup pesto. Mix together, and sprinkle on parmesan. It's fabulous hot, reheats well, and you can add as much/little chicken or zucchini as you like.

This meal takes like 20 minutes tops- and it's really good.

I've never made zucchini bread- it seems that the other stuff in the bread just makes it full of carbs, sugar, and some fat. Can someone sell me on the idea of zucchini bread? We eat zucchini year round- it's one of our favorites- but making it into bread just seems....well, weird. I feel the same way about carrot cake, so maybe I'm just weird.

It is also awesome in spagetti sauce. You can either julienne it and toss it in while the sauce is simmering, or toss a bunch in the food processor and put the puree into the sauce (for those picky folks).

It is also good sliced and tossed raw into salads or dipped into dressing. (one of my kids favorite ways to eat it)

My mom used to make zucchini parmesan... sort of.

It was one of those recipes that got started during a year with a plethora of zucchini. She just sort of made it up, but it was really good.

I *think* she sliced zucchini into about 1" slices, then placed them on a cookie sheet and brushed them with olive oil and a bit of garlic salt. Then she covered them (but not drowned them) with pasta red sauce and mozzarella cheese. Then she baked it.

I'm not certain if the baking was enough to soften the zucchini, or if she steamed the slices a bit first.

Also, making a homemade minestrone of vegetable soup and adding in zucchini chunks could be yummy as well.

(FWIW, zucchini bread with chocolate chips freezes *really* well. :D)

Zucchini Pizza Bites = AMAZING

We have friends who ended up with a ton of Zucchini one summer, and he gave a sermonette at church about it. It was quite funny. He said it was a blessing, and that his wife and him needed to figure out how to use it. And they did. They came up with tons of recipes - eating zucchini almost every night in different ways. (They were quite broke and it really was a blessing.)

I know they shredded zucchini and used it in tacos. That is the only thing different that I remember from his list. :)

We like to just cut it into spears and eat it with dip.

I used to have a recipe for "Zucchini Snack".

You cooked it in a 9 x13 pan and it wasn't so thick as a cake.....flour based, salty, with parmesan... I used to boost it with cooked soy beans...

I haven't been able to find the exact recipe lately...

Joan

My kids love zucchini fritters (we call them zucchini pancakes). I don't have the recipe available right now, but it's basically shredded zucchini (~2 cups?), parm cheese, bisquick and an egg. I mix it up and cook like pancakes. I will try to find the actual proportions and post them later.

Oh, I just remembered, we made zucchini brownies recently (internet recipe). Yummy!!!

I make zucchini-cakes. I just mix up a batch of pancake batter, add shredded zucchini, diced sweet onion, shredded colby-jack cheese. I don't have exact measurements; I just eye-ball it. But, I do leave the batter a little thin to ensure the middles cook through. I dollop about a 3 inch blop onto a griddle and cook like a pancake. Slather with butter and salt. Delish!

Thanks![/quote']

I have made many of this blogger's recipes (whole foods, low carb) and they are usually excellent. I have not tried the chocolate zucchini bread but thought you might want the link to the recipe.

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/2009/08/healthy-chocolate-zucchini-or-apple.html

We have used extra zucchini to make zucchini pizza crust (low carb). Squeeze out all of the extra moisture that you can.

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/zucchini-pizza-crust-recipe.html

some people also make LC "pasta" using zucchini "noodles" (aka zoodles LOL)

http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-noodles-low-carb-341916

My recipe for ending the zucchini onslaught involves a big 5 gallon spray canister of 24D. :D

Seriously, I don't have a zucchini recipe at all. When cooked, it has the taste and texture of snot. Why would I eat that on purpose?

My dh, on the other hand, thinks it makes a great chocolate cake. It tastes just like chocolate with bits of snot. :D I see that others have already posted a bunch of similar ones, so I won't bother.

Edited by Audrey

I like to saute it with a little diced tomato, garlic, and basil and serve it as a side with grilled chicken marinated in italian dressing. Yum.

Oh, and I will toss it in with whatever other veggies I have on hand when I make fritattas. I saute assorted veggies, then pour scrambled eggs over the top and let them start to set. Then I top with grated cheese, transfer to the oven to cook til the eggs are done, and flip out onto a cutting board. It is like a crustless quiche. Also yum.

I LOVE zucchini bread, and if I had extra, I'd totally freeze it like my mom used to do. :D

But I also sautee it in butter and sprinkle with parmesan toward the end. Yummy.

I have one big zucchini waiting to be turned into bread tomorrow! I can't wait! Sadly, my zucchini plants are being attacked by a black mold. This happened last year too, so I think it's in the soil for this particular garden. :glare: I got one big zucchini, but don't think I'll get any more. The others are being attacked too quickly.

Zucchini-cantaloupe ice cream

1/2 cantaloupe (ours was one the small side, and the flavor was noticeable, but not particularly strong. Half a normal-sized cantaloupe would probably work well.)

1 normal-sized zucchini

1 cup shredded coconut (not strictly necessary - I used the leftover pulp from making coconut milk)

Coconut milk (just enough so that everything else will blend)

Cut cantelope and zucchini into chunks. Put in blender with coconut, and blend until smooth, adding just enough coconut milk to allow it to blend. Put mixture in ice cream maker, or freeze into ice cubes then blend in a high-power blender or food processor.

Peel the zucchini first if the green tinge will be a problem.

I'm pretty sure you could use raw zucchini as a base for other flavors of ice cream, too.

Zucchini-cantaloupe ice cream

1/2 cantaloupe (ours was one the small side, and the flavor was noticeable, but not particularly strong. Half a normal-sized cantaloupe would probably work well.)

1 normal-sized zucchini

1 cup shredded coconut (not strictly necessary - I used the leftover pulp from making coconut milk)

Coconut milk (just enough so that everything else will blend)

Cut cantelope and zucchini into chunks. Put in blender with coconut, and blend until smooth, adding just enough coconut milk to allow it to blend. Put mixture in ice cream maker, or freeze into ice cubes then blend in a high-power blender or food processor.

Peel the zucchini first if the green tinge will be a problem.

I'm pretty sure you could use raw zucchini as a base for other flavors of ice cream, too.

This wins the award for most unique use of zucchini. I think I need to try this.

One of our favorite soups:

Saute 2 finely chopped onions in a bit of oil. Add 6C chicken stock & brinng to boil. Stir in 2lbs zucchini, grated, & stellette pasta. Simmer until pasta is done. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, pepper. Add a swirl of sour cream to each bowl. Sometimes DS skips the sour cream.

This wins the award for most unique use of zucchini. I think I need to try this.

It's possible you'll want a bit of extra sweetener of some sort if you don't have a really really good cantaloupe. Our taste buds are pretty adapted to less sweet these days.

Oh, and my favorite ways to make zucchini straight up are to saute/stir-fry, grill or roast it - and just long enough so it's not mushy. I have huge texture issues with mushy zucchini. Better to cut thick and chunky; thin slices are mushy-land. And I just hate ratatouille. :ack2:

I have ratatouille in the crock pot right now, and ds14 is not happy! He has commented in the past that he only likes food requiring a fork and a knife - that eliminates any type of soup, stew, or ratatouille-like dish. He even eats pizza with a knife and a fork, a trait he picked up from dh. He's perfectly willing, however, to eat any processed snack food from a bag or a box, and any sort of baked good or sweet that can be eaten with his fingers. Hmmmm... :D