Menu

If you are a 2 parent household - are both involved in planning?

I do all the planning myself myself. I was able to take some time today and show and explain the plan, the in's/out's and reasoning for them.

What's it like in your house if you have 2 adults? Do you share the responsibilities of planning subjects and schedules?

I plan everything . . . curriculum, co-ops, activities, meals, and household chores. DH finances the operation and teaches any math past pre-algebra. I can't complain . . . I do my planning poolside while DH is stuck in an office and nobody really works that much around here in the evenings or on weekends.

KFP

Hubby and I have polar opposite strengths and weaknesses. He is clever enough to know he has NO IDEA about education, and has never made the merest suggestion. For that I am thankful. We don't talk about homeschooling, except when I tell him about a class or field trip he needs to get kiddo to, and what the goals are. (And I have had heard him, behind my back, brag to people about what I'm doing. :))

LOL.

My husband's idea of help is to say, "Uh-uh. Sure. Whatever you think, dear."

But he is an amazing father and provider so I have no complaints. He is a school teacher and just doesn't want to deal with more of that when he gets home. I don't blame him.

If I have something I REALLY need him to give me advice on, he'll take the time to look over it. But he likes knowing I take care of it so he doesn't have to.

I try to use dh as a sounding-board, but his eyes glaze over pretty quickly. I make a valiant attempt to keep him in the loop though. Hopefully, when ds is a little older, he'll help with some of the more fun project-type things. But it'll definitely be me saying "Will you do this (explicitly described activity) with the kids?"

I do the planning and purchasing of curriculum. I ask my husband what he would like to tackle out of the scope for the year. We have different strengths. This year he will be doing composers, U.S Presidents, nature study and Shakespeare. They are 18 week units and he does two at a time on the weekends.

No, my dh's eyes would glaze over if I tried to explain my planning process. I sit down at the beginning of each year to give him an overview of what we're doing and where I need him to be the cheerleader for ds and me.

He's teaching carpentry skills and computer skills to ds as time allows, so he is involved, just not in the planning.

It's all me, and that's how we both like it. His strengths lie in other areas, and he has spent the summer taking the kids and their friends hiking, bowling, swimming, and to baseball games, car races, and the rodeo. My homebody, introverted self hates that kind of stuff. While they're out I research, order curriculum, and lesson plan. Everybody wins. :001_smile:

I do all the researching, planning/decision making, and purchasing- which he funds, as he runs a business while I raise/educate the kids.

I do the vast majority of the implementing/teaching, although when there is some sort of project I feel his skills would be better suited to than mine, we will ask for his help and he will give it.

I like it this way. :D

:lol: No, it's all me. Sometimes I'll talk to dh, but he always just says it sounds like a good plan. :)
Same here, though he does help us with the messier science experiments, and sometimes comes up with some on his own that he remembers from his childhood.

I guess we're odd-balls. My Dh and I are both completely involved in the planning, from attending the conference, researching curriculum, making decisions, and planning. He wishes he could be more involved in the actual schooling, but his work schedule makes it difficult.

He gets super excited in April when we start discussing the plans for next year. We'll spend several evenings just going over all the options, discussing what worked and didn't work this year, etc.

I love it. I would be disappointed if he didn't get so involved.

Sometimes I will have him look at math/science stuff, but it's mostly all me. I'd be okay with him giving more input if he wanted it, but I'm the one dealing with it, so I'm the one who makes final decisions.

It would never occur to either of us for him to have input into our schedule. He works standard hours, so he gets no say in our day-to-day schedule, and he's more than happy to let me plan our overall family schedule as well. His contribution is giving me blackout dates for out-of-town work meetings; other than that, I just let him know where he needs to go, and when!

All me. I tried to get him (Mr. Big Picture) to come into the weeds with me for curriculum review and planning, but it overwhelmed him. Hubby says "don't stress me out with your ABD" (profanity alert: ABD means A**bleeding detail) lol

So he teaches them scouting, land nav, boy stuff (how to fix a bike, change the oil/tire, splicing a short in a wire, that sort of thing).

I do all the deciding, planning and purchasing of curriculum. I also do ALL the teaching of our curriculum all by myself.

My husband's eyes glaze over and he goes wonky in the head if I ask him any advice at all on homeschooling. He loves that we homeschool and in fact, it was he who originally had the idea for us to be a homeschooling family 10 plus years ago.

But...... he has no interest in it what-so-ever. He is incredibly supportive and will do any household chores ( including cleaning the bathroom and doing the dishes and laundry) to free up my time to homeschool or any cooking that needs to be done. But he begs me to please not talk to him about my ideas, my plans or my dilemna's on which homeschool source or book to buy.

He just opens his wallet and says "Here, take it all, just please don't tell me what you are going to buy or how you are going to use it".

I spend hours and hours on my planning and thinking about our homeschool non-stop ( I can be a bit obsessive :lol: ), because it is what I do and I take "my job" very seriously. For that reason, I get that other people may not have such an "interest" in discussing it.

He hates discussing homeschooling in general, but he will rave about what a wonderful job I am doing and give me tons of accolades to anyone who asks him about homeschooling. He just doesn't have any interest in it himself.

Now for the very same reason when he discusses his obsessive interest for our garden and what his plans are for the coming year or what seeds he wants to order or what idea he has for the soil........my own eyes glaze over and I beg him to please not tell me anymore ! I tell him buy whatever you need, just please don't tell me about it again for the 100th time !! LOL !

Edited by Momma2Many66

I do the schoolwork planning around here. DH doesn't want to know the details; it's not his thing, and he trusts that they are learning plenty from my plans. I will sometimes ask his opinion about various aspects from time to time, but that's really about it. He is always interested in hearing what they've done, or seeing their work, or taking them on trips, or reading with them, though, and as they get older, I think he'll be interested in doing more hands-on science with them or discussing historical topics with them. (But not the math -- math is my strong point, not his. He can critique their essays though -- not my strong point.)

He wants to know what they're going to study each year, what groups we'll be involved in, and what field trips I'm planning. If there's a big change in direction, he likes to be involved in that.

But the purchasing, planning, filling out forms...nope. That's mine.

I have the final say but I get his input. Especially if I'm having a hard time deciding myself. I couldn't pick a math program so I showed him samples from both and he picked the one that looked more straightforward. He made it look so easy to pick curriculum. :D

Yes, we both research and make plans together. He's invested as much time and effort in ds' education as I have. This fall, we are enrolling ds in an online charter school, that uses k12 curriculum and is paid for and overseen by the state, so it is accredited. That means we won't need to do much planning in the curriculum area, but we'll both be teaching ds and supplementing his lessons in some areas, like foreign language education.

We're technically a 2-parent household :tongue_smilie:, but my husband is never home. In fact, we lived in separate states for almost a year. We do live under the same roof now, but my husband has no clue about what the kids do for school. I'm not sure he knows there are different "types" of homeschooling, etc. He did help the 9 yro with her Singapore Math the other day and was really surprised at where she was math-wise. ;)

My husband's not really a "family leader" type. He's more of like a silent Jet Li who works long hours. :D

LOL.

:lol: Thats the first thing I did when I read this!! Dh asked me what I was laughing about and I read it to him and he groaned :001_huh:

Dh does not help. Dh get this panicked/distant look when I pull out any catalog I have and look at him. Dh says "You teach them, I trust your judgment, tell me when you need money" and thats all he has to say about that.

The one good thing is though when he thinks I have had enough money I will ask him to look over the things I want to get and help decide if its worth it and he will gladly hand over the money instead ;)

Things like when to start dual enrollment, he had more input with. He could have cared less which co-op, tutorial or groups we participated in, as long as the kids were happy, getting what they needed and I was happy with it. I know our budget, and handle the finances, and we discuss it if we want to make a major budget change.

I guess we're odd-balls. My Dh and I are both completely involved in the planning, from attending the conference, researching curriculum, making decisions, and planning. He wishes he could be more involved in the actual schooling, but his work schedule makes it difficult.

He gets super excited in April when we start discussing the plans for next year. We'll spend several evenings just going over all the options, discussing what worked and didn't work this year, etc.

I love it. I would be disappointed if he didn't get so involved.

Well, you may be odd, but not alone. :D

I am the compulsive researcher, but once I narrow the field to a manageable spreadsheet, we select it together. He does the majority of the scheduling and we both do the teaching.

He works every fourth day, though, so he's home a lot.

Nope, I do the buying and the implementing. He pays the bills and offers wine, footrubs, an ear, and backup on discipline.

This is our household too. :001_smile:

There are times when I'm torn between different curriculums and I'll toss them at dh to see which he see's fit for our dd's learning style and lend me some advice. Although he doesn't know alot of the curriculums it's super nice that he's so willing to listen and honestly look at them and help me make a decision.

Edited by mamaofblessings

I do most of the planning, but discuss the spending with him. His question always is, "do you really need that?" lol~ He's been a great help to guide me into simplicity and knowing what to do instead of trying a dozen different things....

He also teaches the history portion, which is great. One of his majors was history, so he loves it! And I love it because I don't think I could fit another subject into our day!

Bill was a high school history teacher before he went to seminary and so he likes to talk about education. Homeschooling fits into the overall vision for our family, so we talk about it from a big picture perspective. He's a sounding board for me, if I want, but most often I come here when I need an opinion about specifics. We do talk about budget - particularly classes and co-ops. He trusts me to make wise choices with the books and supplies we need within what we have established as our budget. He is quick to encourage and console me if I'm feeling discouraged by testing, or whatever.

I like what justamouse said and would say that sums it up for us pretty well. :)

I'm the primary, but will pull him in for some situations. He was an English major and has a great ear for languages, so I've involved him in discussions about which language arts program to get and, when he *really* wanted her to start Spanish, I helped him find a curriculum and encouragement to go for it.;) He's discovered that he doesn't really have the time or inclination to plan out and implement the curriculum, so we're switching to something online this year. One of his biggest roles in planning is to remind me to not overschedule (which I do for him in other areas). He's a good sounding board, but the final decisions rest with me as I do all the teaching, taking to classes (except for aikido, which he does), etc.

We have principal/superintendent conferences. Dh teaches pre-calc and calc, physics (though I may take that one back and hand over advanced chem because I REALLY prefer physics), and computer programming. So, though I will make the schedule, we talk big time about curriculum and implementation. The other subjects we do talk about and I do get his imput, but ultimately those decisions are up to me because I teach those subjects.

Now most of the conferences just take place at night after the kids have gone to bed and before we collapse to a deep sleep. But, occasionally the superintendent treats the principal/curriculum director/teacher to a lovely outing that will include a long, leisurely meal where someone else cooks which makes me supremely happy. :001_smile: We also have conflabs at Barnes and Nobles over coffee and double-chocolate cheesecake.

Faith

DH earns the money -- :Angel_anim: -- and destroys his health by working 80 hours per week most of the time -- :mad: .

With regard to homeschooling, I plan, select, purchase, and teach everything with the exception of high school math (which he teaches).

I devise/revise and manage our budget, and pay the bills. He handles all of the insurance (all kinds) details and haggling, which is a huge task. Money belongs to us both; we don't know the meaning of "mine", only of "ours".

I love my husband ! ! ! :cheers2:

Loverboy is "along for the ride" for homeschooling...as well as several other of my crazy schemes! (Oh, if you only knew!!!)

I do all of the planning and nearly all of the administration at this point. Loverboy steps in if I am tired and dd wants to work. How lucky am I?

I am starting to plan in my head how we will do bigger history, science, or art projects together during Family Home Evening once dd is older and those subjects are introduced more seriously.

It's all me here too which is how i prefer it. DH provides the financing :)

Yep, that's how it is here, too. Dh loves that the kids are homeschooled, but he has absolutely no interest in any aspect of the actual day-to-day work of it. But all of his time not at work or tae kwon do classes is spent in full, hands-on Daddy mode, doing things that I would never do with them, like woodworking, game designing, geocaching, etc. It works for us.