Menu

Amy Winehouse is dead.

Wow. :001_huh: I was just thinking about her the other day, wondering why she hadn't been in the spotlight for a while (or at least, not on my [limited] radar). It's not too terribly surprising that she came to an early end though. :( She was living up to her name. Still, very tragic for someone to die so young. Especially with so much talent.

That's sad but somehow not shocking. She had a very troubled life. :(

I agree. (The agreeing smiley doesn't seem appropiate here.)

Do we know what happened? I'm guessing drugs.

Interesting... I got this from another forum...

Janice Joplin, 27, dead in 1970

Jimi Hendrix, 27, dead in 1970.

Jim Morrison, 27, dead in 1971.

Kurt Cobain, 27, dead in 1994.

What is it with 27?

It's called the '27 Club'. Brian Jones from the Rolling Stones is also a member.

Addiction is not a choice, that's why it's call addiction. Many do not escape it.

This is just not true. It starts with a choice. It ends with a choice, one way or another. You choose to use the first time and the last time. A choice being hard does not change the fact that it's a choice.

Well, coming from the perspective of a mother with a very seriously mentally ill and troubled teenager....until you've seen someone as messed up as Amy Winehouse obviously was, you really can't say one way or the other. People die from trying to get clean, they die doing drugs, and sometimes they are so tormented inside the only way to feel a moment's peace is to do drugs or commit suicide.

Thankfully my daughter is not an addict but it is one of my biggest fears. She will do almost anything to escape the pain she feels on a daily basis and I know that in a certain circumstance, she could very easily become an addict. It's my prayer every day that she never tries to numb herself with drugs because she doesn't' stand a chance if that happens.

I am in tears over how her mother, or whoever loves her, must be feeling right now.

This is just not true. It starts with a choice. It ends with a choice, one way or another. You choose to use the first time and the last time. A choice being hard does not change the fact that it's a choice.

As a medical professional whose research is in the area of neuroscience, I respectfully disagree. Neuroscience research, specifically addictionology, has uncovered more in the last 10 years than in all the research before that combined. For lay people, and even some who have loved ones with addiction, it is difficult to see how this ISN'T a choice. The brain of a potential addict already has addictive changes (neurotransmitters, etc.) even BEFORE the addict puts chemicals in his body.

Hopefully, with more research, legislation, and just plain awareness (and people like Dr. Gabor Mate), we can prevent this condition from happening one day. ;)

As a medical professional whose research is in the area of neuroscience, I respectfully disagree. Neuroscience research, specifically addictionology, has uncovered more in the last 10 years than in all the research before that combined. For lay people, and even some who have loved ones with addiction, it is difficult to see how this ISN'T a choice. The brain of a potential addict already has addictive changes (neurotransmitters, etc.) even BEFORE the addict puts chemicals in his body.

Hopefully, with more research, legislation, and just plain awareness (and people like Dr. Gabor Mate), we can prevent this condition from happening one day. ;)

I have had several people close to me who have overcome addiction. How is that possible if there is no choice involved? It may be hard, they may struggle, they may need to do other things, but it comes down to their choice.

I have had several people close to me who have overcome addiction. How is that possible if there is no choice involved? It may be hard, they may struggle, they may need to do other things, but it comes down to their choice.

I'm not sure all addicts are created equal. From what I've read, and I'm no expert, but it seems like if a person has a combination of circumstances that come together in a perfect storm, there is little that can be done for them. I do believe everyone can recover with lots of hard work, but sometimes it is almost, but not completely, impossible.

I think it's also important to point out that she had Bipolar Disorder, of which addictive/destructive behaviors, particularly drug and alcohol abuse, are often hallmarks.

I've recently had the honor of becoming acquainted with the parents of one of the most talented blues musicians of this era, Sean Costello. Like Amy Winehouse, Sean had bi-polar disorder, battled addiction, and ultimately died of an accidental overdose on the eve of his 29th birthday just 3 years ago, just out of rehab. His mother and stepfather started the Sean Costello Memorial Fund for Bipolar Research in his honor and I've learned a great deal from it, and from each of them personally. Most of all, I've learned that my own biases and assumptions, no matter how logical they appear to be, were (are) largely just wrong in many cases. I also find it interesting that research shows a very strong link between creativity and creatively gifted individuals and bi-polar disorder, along with its accompanying trappings, including drug abuse. Probably has a lot to do with "The 27 Club" we're now all so familiar with. Just tragic.

Sean Costello's mother shared this today with those of us who know her. I found it to be quite poignant and thought I would pass it on to all of you :

I just found out that Amy Winehouse died. She was one of Sean's favorites, and without a doubt, a great talent. I've told people on more than one occasion that Sean was the perfect icon for BD, as his reputation as a professional was untarnished, followed by the quip "if it were named for Amy Winehouse, no one would care." I then explained that they should care.... no one wants to be an addict or suffer the way she obviously did. It's just that people like to label things they don't understand, and revel in others' sadness.

After Sean passed, I actually sent a message to her via MySpace. I knew, of course, that she wasn't reading messages from her gazillion fans, but I wanted to warn her about the destiny that seemed apparent to me at the time. I asked her to put herself before her art, knowing all the while, that she had no choice in the matter.

I am sad for her, for her family and for the loss of another tortured soul. While people mocked her behavior and the tabloids fed on her cancellations, she was living her own hell. People will undoubtedly respond with judgment about an OD..... after all, sex, drugs and rock and roll are great fun, aren't they? No one wants to be an addict. No one wants to die a premature death. And, ODs (which I assume was her cause of death.... maybe wrongly) are as sad as any suicide.

No longer can a death of a talented, young person pass by me without a sense of deep sadness and mourning. I hope her soul can find some peace and that people will treat the news with the compassion that she deserves.

I agree. The first time is a choice. Everytime you take a hit its a choice. There are many who CHOOSE to fight their way out and recover. Yes, it's hard. But people do it and overcome their addictions.

I agree, last time I checked most addicts were not physically forced to take that first hit. It was a choice.

It is sad that one so young died, but she chose that course, the ones that I feel most sorry for are those who die of disease, children with lymphoma etc. They had no choice.

One may speak ad nauseum of addictive personalities and there is much truth to it, but as Mrs Mungo stated it is still a CHOICE.

It really boils down to educating the public about what addiction REALLY is. Researchers can only work so fast. Fighting the stereotypes about addiction has become a little easier (even getting funding for research is MUCH easier than just a decade or two ago), but I still have to deal with the "opinions" of laypeople daily.

Also, most addicts have concurrent Axis I disorders and many have some sort of trauma experience in their past.

Anyway, it has been very gut-wrenching to witness Ms. Winehouse's decline and death. A very sad day, indeed.

Bcn

I was just being factual. (I am an INTJ, so sometimes come across as blunt in writing...although I try to use smileys to convey tone)

PLEASE read "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction" by Gabor Mate. IMO, it is the best addiction book currently on the market. It does a fabulous job of explaining the current research. It explains the neurochemistry of addiction and the lack of choice (even in the first use) much better than I can. In chapter 17 "Their Brains Never Had a Chance", Mate discusses choice in addiction. Again, much better than I can.

Bcn:)

I am so out of the loop. Who is Amy Winehouse?

A very talented, Grammy winning blues singer. See Wikipedia. A big hit for her was "Rehab":

They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, "No, no, no"

Yes, I've been black but when I come back you'll know, know, know

I ain't got the time and if my daddy thinks I'm fine

He's tried to make me go to rehab, I won't go, go, go

I'd rather be at home with Ray

I ain't got seventy days

'Cause there's nothing, there's nothing you can teach me

That I can't learn from Mr. Hathaway

Didn't get a lot in class

But I know it don't come in a shot glass

Yes, I've been black but when I come back you'll know know know

The man said, "Why do you think you here?"

I said, "I got no idea

I'm gonna, I'm gonna lose my baby

So I always keep a bottle near"

He said, "I just think you're depressed"

This me, "Yeah baby, and the rest"

I don't ever wanna drink again

I just, ooh, I just need a friend

I'm not gonna spend ten weeks

Have everyone think I'm on the mend

And it's not just my pride

It's just 'til these tears have dried

Addiction is complicated. Even betwwen chemicals. Vicadin can make an addict out of many who would not normally "go there". The culture around pot makes it diificult for pot addicts to admit pot addiction exists. Alcohol *functions* differently in the BODY of an alcoholic than it does in a non alcoholic.

The existence of trauma is a complicated factor. Trauma is statistically more likely in the same settings in which addiction is a greater risk.

Even the first use can't be completely regarded as a "choice"; I know from the subsatance abuse group I lead @ work and research.

We've come a long way from when my mom got sober and alcoholism was still largely a "weakness" or "will power" issue. But, as evidenced in this thread, we still have a long way to go in terms of 1) understanding addiction and 2) educating people on the accurate biophysical realaities.

Recovery is possible, and I am 20 years recovered but that does not mean it was a choice when I was out there.

My dh and I have this disagreement often. He is a recovering addict and calls it a disease. I call it a really selfish choice he made that went really, really bad.

I am so out of the loop. Who is Amy Winehouse?

Glad to know I wasn't alone. After looking her up, I still don't know her. Even so I still find her death very sad. So young and obviously talented.

I'm in your club too. I started seeing her name on the news and on FB and then on here, and I was like, "Who is she?" I asked my dh and even he had heard of her. So I'm glad to know I'm not alone here.

27 - old enough to realize things aren't just going to work out, enough time successful to know that it isn't going to change anything, enough years doing drugs/alcohol so you've weakened your body, etc. I don't see anything mystical about it.

:iagree:

My grandfather was an alcoholic. He died sober. He told me it was a choice to drink, a choice to become sober. Sometimes, he had to make that choice every few minutes in a day, but it was still a choice.

There is an element of choice when it comes to addiction that isn't present elsewhere. How many times do we hear that you can't force someone to choose sobriety, that they can't do it for anyone else, but must make the choice for themselves?

What? No!

This has shaken me. I am an artist, was diagnosed BPD, and narrowly escaped the hell of living out (And dying in) my addictions. I am alive due to the grace of God and my kind, patient, and loyal parents and husband.

This breaks my heart.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Praying for you.