Menu

Grrrrr.....Netflix changing their prices again!!

Just got an email from Netflix....grrr.

Now they are changing their prices again.. We had moved to the lowest plan, to get one DVD at a time and still Instant streaming...$7.99.

Now they will charge it seperately...$7.99 for Instant streaming....and $7.99 for One DVD out at at time....so $15.98.

Hmm...going to have to think REALLY hard about this Netflix business now.

Not to mention how frustrating it is sometimes to get the movies we want.

We have United Streaming (Discovery Education), use Hulu, have DirecTV so we can order movies when they are released to DVD, and should really think about using YouTube (heard there are some great educational things there).........

.....I am thinking Netflix is pricing themselves right out of our house.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it was only a few months ago that they changed. I'm going to go check my account.

Unbelievable. My plan (3 DVDS out at a time. We can't watch online) is going up to almost $24. I guess we'll be dropping down a level.

Wow, it was only a few months ago that they changed. I'm going to go check my account.

Unbelievable. My plan (3 DVDS out at a time. We can't watch online) is going up to almost $24. I guess we'll be dropping down a level.

So will we. One DVD at a time is plenty for us, anyway. We are lucky to watch 3-4 DVDs a month, but we use the streaming feature daily.

We just signed up for Netflix a couple of weeks ago, and the new pricing was already in effect. We were a little disappointed that we can't get DVDs also (the extra $$ is out of our price range), but we are really enjoying streaming. The only reason we want DVDs is for the ones not available in streaming.

I had just read an article about this probably happening yesterday. It said when they started instant streaming was so new that Netflix was able to get really good contracts with the studios. Now those contracts are expiring and streaming is everywhere so they don't have the same negotiating power. Netflix will have to pay more to be able to stream so the customers will have to pay more for the service. Off to check my account.:glare:

I guess we'll be getting rid of the DVDs for now. We have Netflix mostly for streaming, not for the DVDs, but I'm certainly not willing to pay $6 more per month to keep my one DVD out at a time. Not at this point in our lives. That is a bummer.

I guess we'll be getting rid of the DVDs for now. We have Netflix mostly for streaming, not for the DVDs, but I'm certainly not willing to pay $6 more per month to keep my one DVD out at a time. Not at this point in our lives. That is a bummer.

:iagree:

I can most of the DVDs I want for free through inter-library loan or for $1 I can get a new release from Redbox.

I checked the Netflix site and the new pricing starts with the first billing period on or after Sept. 1.

Oh well :tongue_smilie:

GRRRR is right.

I do watch some DVDs because not everything is available through streaming. Right now I am watching The Good Wife from Season 1 and it isn't available streamed.

Now, about Discovery streaming.....can you stream that through a Roku or only through a computer?

Dawn

GRRRR is right.

I do watch some DVDs because not everything is available through streaming. Right now I am watching The Good Wife from Season 1 and it isn't available streamed.

Now, about Discovery streaming.....can you stream that through a Roku or only through a computer?

Dawn

As long as you have a wi-fi, you can stream through a Roku, Wii, and Xbox Live. I don't know about PS3. We don't have one.

You can also connect a computer to the TV directly, but that's a pain.

I already dropped down to the 2 DVD plan last time they raised the rates. Guess we'll be going down to 1 DVD this time.

It's going up $4/month for the 3 discs and unlimited streaming. Hm.

I wouldn't question it *too* much, except:

1. It often takes us a while to get new releases now. That wasn't the case in the past, and we've been members since 2002. This makes me unhappy.

2. We often do not get through 4 discs in a month, and it would only cost $4 for 4 rentals from redbox. I can reserve new releases through the redbox app on my phone.

3. BUT, a lot of the older movies I watch with my kids are not on streaming. A lot of what is on streaming for kids is kind of junky.

Hm. Will have to think about it. Maybe dropping down to 2 discs would work. We could just make sure we turn them around faster than we do now.

As long as you have a wi-fi, you can stream through a Roku, Wii, and Xbox Live. I don't know about PS3. We don't have one.

You can also connect a computer to the TV directly, but that's a pain.

Discovery streaming is available through X-Box??? I did not know this!!! If so, I need to look into this!

I can most of the DVDs I want for free through inter-library loan or for $1 I can get a new release from Redbox.

Our library's DVDs are free, but they are not in good condition anymore. We've given up getting DVDs from the library because we can't finish a movie. I guess the new ones would be good while they're still new.

I don't think you can get just DVDs. From what I understood when we signed up, it's either streaming only or streaming + DVDs.

We stream on both TV and computer.

I'm looking at the plans now. You can get 1 DVD out at a time, 2 DVDs out at a time, streaming only or a combination of DVD/streaming with 1-4 discs. You an also do a limited plan where you get 1 disc at a time and can only get 2 discs per month for $5.

We might just cancel our subscription. Lately, a lot of the movies we want are not available for instant streaming, so we have to wait for them on DVD anyway. Often we can get them for free through inter-library loan.

We've rented at least 5 newer movies in the past few weeks from Amazon though instant video. We might just go that route.

I don't think you can get just DVDs. From what I understood when we signed up, it's either streaming only or streaming + DVDs.

We stream on both TV and computer.

The new plans include a DVD only option, and I just changed our plan. I will save a few $$'s a month.

I'm looking at the plans now. You can get 1 DVD out at a time, 2 DVDs out at a time, streaming only or a combination of DVD/streaming with 1-4 discs. You an also do a limited plan where you get 1 disc at a time and can only get 2 discs per month for $5.

Interesting--this is the plan we have. It's so old I didn't think they offered it any longer. But our plan came with 5 hours streaming. The "new" plan has 2. I wonder if our plan will reduce our streaming hours? And we'd actually been thinking of upgrading our plan.

I can live without the movies for entertainment sake, I can find that elsewhere. But I use a program that suggests PBS, BBC, History and Discovery Channel DVDs and other educational DVDs as part of our History program. I haven't found those same videos at my library or elsewhere. Do you all know of a better alternative for these type of movies? I end up with Netflix movies at my house for a month or two because I'm not in the mood for a movie by the time they get here. We used the educational feature, but that is still only about 10 times a year or so. I really don't want to pay so much for this. Any suggestions for a better alternative?:bigear:

I haven't read the other replies, but dh said he saw on the news a few months back that with the rate increases, Netflix is actually trying to discourage people from using the DVD option, and would prefer that people use the streaming option only. Word was (and apparently it's true) that Netflix will be phasing out the DVD's in favor of offering streaming only--meaning that evenutally, you will only be able to get streaming, and DVD's won't be available at all.

Thanks. For some reason when I looked at the plans before we signed up, I didn't see the option to not have streaming. We like streaming, so it's ok. But I should let my parents know...they're paying $15.99 for streaming + 1 DVD at a time, and they're not using streaming at all.

Just a PSA in case Luv2read's post gets buried:

There is a "DVD only" option available now, for those very few of us that don't use streaming. So that is a price decrease for a lucky few of us. No email in my inbox - do you suppose they intentionally skipped us non-streamers?;) Because it didn't appear to be an automatic decrease, I had to "Change My Plan" under My Account. Easy-peasy, and takes effect with the next billing.

Sorry about the rest of y'all, though.

ETA: gardening momma, et al: Don't feel bad for not seeing that dvd-only option. I don't believe that was on there before. It wasn't the last time I looked.

Edited by BridgeTea
note

My aunt works for the post office (financial executive) and is privy to the Netflix info. She said they have to hand cancel every single DVD because the crack when they go through their machines. Therefore, one day in the future they will go streaming only. This might be the pre-phase out time.
Something I would have no problem with if the streaming options were comparable to the DVD options. The problem is, they're not.

:rant:

And changing the topic a bit... remember that Netflix lost the streaming rights to Criterion titles because they just couldn't get it together to even let viewer search for "Criterion" titles. Seriously. I've been with them over 9 years, and in that time the search interface has only incrementally improved. I use InstantWatcher.com because they give me far more search options than does Netflix. And the new web interface, with the slow scrolling titles makes me ill -- motion sick. I've called to complain (as have others, according to the rep I spoke with), but it's been weeks and there's still no option to change to a non-scrolling interface.

Something I would have no problem with if the streaming options were comparable to the DVD options. The problem is, they're not.

And changing the topic a bit... remember that Netflix lost the streaming rights to Criterion titles because they just couldn't get it together to even let viewer search for "Criterion" titles. Seriously. I've been with them over 9 years, and in that time the search interface has only incrementally improved. I use InstantWatcher.com because they give me far more search options than does Netflix. And the new web interface, with the slow scrolling titles makes me ill -- motion sick. I've called to complain (as have others, according to the rep I spoke with), but it's been weeks and there's still no option to change to a non-scrolling interface.

Speaking of interfaces:

Today when I was playing with my queue I noticed that when you add a *new* or popular title to your queue that there is no option for bumping it up to number one. With old/less popular titles you can, but not new titles. With new titles you have to go into your queue and bump it from there. :glare:

Just a PSA in case Luv2read's post gets buried:

There is a "DVD only" option available now, for those very few of us that don't use streaming. So that is a price decrease for a lucky few of us. No email in my inbox - do you suppose they intentionally skipped us non-streamers?;) Because it didn't appear to be an automatic decrease, I had to "Change My Plan" under My Account. Easy-peasy, and takes effect with the next billing.

Sorry about the rest of y'all, though.

ETA: gardening momma, et al: Don't feel bad for not seeing that dvd-only option. I don't believe that was on there before. It wasn't the last time I looked.

Cool! With my broadband speed of under 1 Mbps, we don't really do streaming. I am also an amazon prime member.

Off to see about changing my account...

Cool. I can get 3 dvds out at a time for $15.99. That's only $1 more than we were paying. Glad I read this thread. I almost didn't...

Edited by darlasowders

Today when I was playing with my queue I noticed that when you add a *new* or popular title to your queue that there is no option for bumping it up to number one. With old/less popular titles you can, but not new titles. With new titles you have to go into your queue and bump it from there. :glare:
I haven't noticed, probably because we rarely watch anything popular. :tongue_smilie: Still, it's annoying. :glare:

I just posted this elsewhere:

I wonder if they've realized yet that they've pushed us a bit too far, and too quickly. I get that they want to shed the DVD service entirely due to overhead, and I think that's a great thing. The trouble is that the streaming options just aren't up to snuff. I mean, I would have happily streamed Shakes the Clown and The Tall Guy... but they just weren't available. :P

DH just reminded me that the major ISP's are instituting data caps and are moving towards tiered structures, which further increases the cost to the consumer for streaming video.

I haven't read the other replies, but dh said he saw on the news a few months back that with the rate increases, Netflix is actually trying to discourage people from using the DVD option, and would prefer that people use the streaming option only. Word was (and apparently it's true) that Netflix will be phasing out the DVD's in favor of offering streaming only--meaning that evenutally, you will only be able to get streaming, and DVD's won't be available at all.

I wouldn't mind that at all if everything I wanted to watch was available through streaming. We'll likely drop the DVD's and use the library and Redbox. I know that's what they want, and I hate to give in but I don't see a choice. We're dropping satellite, so all of our tv (except a few over the air shows) will be either streaming or DVD. Amazon currently doesn't offer enough streaming for free on Prime. Hulu Plus doesn't offer the previous seasons of some tv shows we're watching, and with our older tv's we can't hook up a computer to be able to watch online shows through the tv.

I wonder if they've realized yet that they've pushed us a bit too far, and too quickly. I get that they want to shed the DVD service entirely due to overhead, and I think that's a great thing.

I don't know how long you've been a member, but there was a point before where they raised prices, a bunch of people dropped out and Netflix lowered the prices back down.

The trouble is that the streaming options just aren't up to snuff. I mean, I would have happily streamed Shakes the Clown and The Tall Guy... but they just weren't available. :P

Currently, we have 42nd Street (with Ruby Keeler), Pete's Dragon and the original Tron. None of those are on streaming either.

I wouldn't mind that at all if everything I wanted to watch was available through streaming. We'll likely drop the DVD's and use the library and Redbox.

I am considering this. But, a lot of what we get from Netflix isn't new stuff. Hm.

I think their plan is to put other companies out of business and then raise their rates. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't seen their streaming selections improve either.

I'm still staying with them because I still think it's a great value.

Edited by nestof3

I don't know how long you've been a member, but there was a point before where they raised prices, a bunch of people dropped out and Netflix lowered the prices back down.
March 2002, and I vaguely remember that and bits and pieces of many other things from sleep deprived time (I call it the lost decade). Let's hope it happens again; I think they've timed this badly and would have done well to wait until a higher percentage of titles are streaming.

I wouldn't mind streaming only if their streaming had new releases, and maybe one day, it will. Our library has a poor selection of DVDs, and when we have found what we were looking for there, many times the DVD is scratched. We have to drive 20 minutes to get to a movie rental store. Blah.

Thanks for the heads up. I just went to check email and no email yet either.

However when I logged into our account I saw the notification on my account settings.

We currently have the 1 DVD - unlimited plus unlimited streaming for $9.99...and now because of the HUGE increase in price just dropped our plan to streaming only. DH and I usually don't get to a DVD as we're busy watching our cable series. The kids stream netflix all the time, both tv and computers plus on occasion dh and I watch a movie on the PS3 through netflix. Just gives us a good reason to save money!

We never considered redbox. DH and I are now going to snag movies that we've wanted to see forever while waiting for it to be available on netflix now through redbox!

We've been with Netflix for years, but I think we will be dropping the service. Our plan is going from $9.99 to $15.98. That's a pretty big increase. If there were more of what we watch, inlcuding new releases, available for streaming we would probably keep it, but not as it stands now.