Menu

What do you call the implement that holds hair in a ponytail?

What do you call the thing holding up your hair?  

1. 1. What do you call the thing holding up your hair?

• Hair tie
    • Hair elastic
    • Hair band
    • Pony-tail holder
    • Hair Scrunchie
    • Hair Do-Dad
    • Something Else

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol: When my girls were little I called them woogies. As in 'go get a ponytail woogie." Then I realized they thought that was what those things were really called and I was appalled. Acckk

Of course when my first girl was 2 she thought ice cream was called 'some', because I had given it to her and said. "would you like some?' Later she would lean on the fridge and pat it and say some...some..some.

It is a miracle they learned english at all.

:lol:

Voting something else here because depending on what the actual tool is, the name changes. A scrunchie is a fabric covered band. A plain band is called a ponytail holder or an elastic. Since we also use uncovered rubber bands in dd's hair those are called the hair bands or rubber bands.

Do you mean just the elastic thing that took over for the old rubber bands? If so, I still call them rubber bands. If you mean the larger cloth things with elastic, I think I call them scrunchies (it's been many years since any of us has worn those).

Growing up we called them elastics. But ever since dd's been old enough to ask for ponytails she and I have called them ponytail holders. So I voted ponytail holders. Because if I ask her to get my hair elastic she won't know what I'm talking about.

All the males in this house call them hair things. :tongue_smilie:

I almost put "Hair Thingy" on the poll, because I say that a lot. I also say "Hair Do-Dad," for the same reason as DER. But so far, "Pony-tailer" is the cutest thing any of you have mentioned!

My mother called them "Hair Hookers." :tongue_smilie: DD14 said, "That sounds...not so nice, like a hair dresser gone wrong." :lol:

:lol::lol: When my girls were little I called them woogies. As in 'go get a ponytail woogie." Then I realized they thought that was what those things were really called and I was appalled. Acckk

Of course when my first girl was 2 she thought ice cream was called 'some', because I had given it to her and said. "would you like some?' Later she would lean on the fridge and pat it and say some...some..some.

It is a miracle they learned english at all.

:lol:

Lol! :lol: I'm sure all our families have some silly invented words!

When my daughter was tiny and we put her hair in a little pony tail on top of her head, we called it a "fountain" because of the way it looked. She couldn't say fountain and called both the hairstyle and the hair band "hountain". She's six and she still calls the hair elastics hountains.

For us, it depends on what it is. A scrunchi is an elastic band with a bunch of fabric all around it, a hair band is the little rubber bands we use on the baby's hair to make her pony tails since her hair is so thin, a ponytail holder is a regular elastic band, a hair tie is an elastic band that has bows attached to it, and hair 'stuff' is all the other little decorations that the girls like to put into their hair. :-P Oh, and we also have hair clips, flower clips, hair pins, barrettes, and headbands. There is way too many things for the hair in this house! Drives me nuts sometimes! :-D

I had to vote other... we call them "hair bows". I don't even know why! They aren't bows at all. I think when I was growing up we called them "pony tail holders". But now my girls and I call them "hair bows". We're so weird.

I must be weird too because we call them hair bows as well. When I was little they were pony tails!

Ha, ha...we conducted a survey of this with friends about 6 months ago.The variety of answers was really interesting, "Ponies" being one I remember. We call them hair ties. To us, hair bands are the plastic or fabric you use to sweep your hair back off your face. Oh well, doesn't really matter, does it?

Edited by Geo

Oh, my youngest girl didn't know them by any other name as "hair pretties" and she went to school in middle school and asked someone if they had a "hair pretty" she could use... boy, did she get some funny looks!!!