Menu

Physics for Children?

Anyone have any ideas on fun recourses for introducing Physics or developing some of the prerequisite understandings of things like mechanics that is on an "exposure" level, and is smartly done?

Could be "living books", or games/activities, or websites, or a cleverly integrated program for children.

Is there anything like this? I just want to plant some seeds.

Note: RS4K is out of the question.

Thanks,

Bill

I wish I could remember a website I had found at one time. It utilizes physics principles. You build machines to move something with various levers and cogs and such. Maybe my poor description will spark a memory of someone here. I do believe I had found it as a result of WTM forums.

Good luck with your search Bill.

We love Elemental Science - Grammar stage physics. It is very easy to use, though you do have to hunt down a number of items for the experiments. I think it is a great way to introduce the concepts to a younger child.

We have also rented a number of DVDs from the library, produced by Schlessinger Media. They are a little too repetitious, but not bad if you can get past that.

We have a book called "Roller Coaster Science" that I plan to use later this year. DS has enjoyed reading through it already.

I forget how old your child is, but if he's old enough to be able to manage Legos well, there are amazing contraptions and machines he can build. We used an "educational" kit at one time, which was fine, but very small and not too thrilling. The regular kits are far more engaging and use the exact same mechanisms. Klutz also has a book called something along the lines of Great Lego Contraptions, packaged with a few special bits, and has kids building extendable grabber-type things (see my wonderful physics vocabulary at work here), a candy dispensing machine, cars.

Another fantastic resource is the San Francisco Exploratorium, in real life -- the ideal; we spent days there -- or online. They have a whole series of explorations and activities available online for kids, and a handful of books called Snackbooks. Some of the books are out of print now, but you can still get them used for a couple of bucks online.

For a mid-elementary age kid, you could check out the teachers' guides at http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

GEMS has a number of fairly simple physics units -- not mechanics, but wonderful fun stuff that deals with some basic physics concepts. They also have a great online store (as does the Exploratorium) where you can look at all kinds of kits and games related to science.

One of my all-time favorite resources is http://www.stevespanglerscience.com

-- kits, materials, books, and a file of simple activities with instructions.

I forget how old your child is....

He is just a few weeks shy of his 7th birthday. His math skills are at least a year advanced and he is highly-teachable if concepts are presented in a clear and engaging way. But I would just be aiming for some fun big-picture exposure that might get the gears of his mind whirling.

It looks like some great ideas are coming in, so I'm very glad I asked :001_smile:

Bill

Teaching Physics With Toys was a big hit here. You can take it as deep as you want: it's designed with a wide learning range in mind.

Laura

I see two editions. One is subtitled K-9, the other is 3-9. Do you know the difference? 3 years, ha ha.

This looks very interesting, thank you!

Bill

My 4th grade son really enjoyed the Cartoon Guide to Physics. I don't know whether you'd call this a "living book," but now, as a high school senior who has taken a Physics class, he says it was about the best introduction to physics he had.

I have had very little luck finding any engaging books on physical science topics, but I did stumble onto a website with plenty of videos that you could use as a jumping off place. http://www.neok12.com

Along the left side of the website, you will find plenty of videos illustrating physics concepts.

We are also using Supercharged Science somewhat, but it is very involved.

Paula

My 4th grade son really enjoyed the Cartoon Guide to Physics. I don't know whether you'd call this a "living book," but now, as a high school senior who has taken a Physics class, he says it was about the best introduction to physics he had.

Oh, I've loved the Cartoon History of the Universe...I should have thought of this but....

Thanks for the brain-jog!

Is Bite Size Physics too advanced for the moment?

I don't know anything about it, but I will look.

Thank you all for the great ideas. I hope others benefit as well.

Go Hive-mind!

Bill

http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/colormephysics/index.cfm

My big girl enjoys Physics and liked these.

Check out the Singapore Earlybird Science workbooks - one of them is more geared towards Physics. I can't remember which one off hand...

ETA: Also check out the books listed for Sonlight Science's Physics lessons. They use secular books and you can get some cool ideas for books. My big girl liked the graphic comic book used in Sonlight Science K about Isaac Newton, for example.

Edited by MissKNG

Is Bite Size Physics too advanced for the moment?

I checked my copy & it depends on your kid. When dd is your son's age she would be fine with it, I believe. It talks directly to the kid & has lots of smaller illustrating experiments for the principles, but they are advanced principles.

For us, we're currently working through BFSU and that has an entire 1/4 of the text devoted to essentially physics and that's enough for now.

I see two editions. One is subtitled K-9, the other is 3-9. Do you know the difference? 3 years, ha ha.

This looks very interesting, thank you!

Bill

This is the edition we used, but my boys were older when we used it. I think Calvin was eleven and Hobbes eight. There's a 'look inside' on this edition, so you can try to assess it.

I also bought the K'nect kit which tallies with the book - it was well worth having.

ETA: there's also the Horrible Science series which might be fun. If you can't get them elsewhere in the States, there's always horriblebooks.com or bookdepository.co.uk

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I've heard(only heard) good things about this book for introducing basic concepts to young children. I've liked other books in the series. Tend to be very basic explanations and illustrations and everything is designed with the idea that kids can potentially use the book on their own, so it tends to be pretty safety oriented with projects that are easy to do at home. Plus, they are almost always available at the library.

http://www.amazon.com/Gizmos-Gadgets-Creating-Contraptions-Williamson/dp/1885593260/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308683424&sr=8-1

Also, this blog has a wealth of resources for doing physical science at home. I think she posts here too.

http://farrarwilliams.wordpress.com/science-without-a-net/

Edited by MrsBasil

This is on its way to my house from Amazon right now to use with my dd7. I don't know anything about it other than the Basher books are highly recommended on the hive, it's on sale for $3.60, and it looks like a really cool way to introduce physics to younger dc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VD3Q26

DS loves this one as well as the other Basher books:D.

K'Nexs are good. We bought some huge educational set at a homeschool convention. It included a teacher's guide as well as instructions for building different ramps and structures. The guide tells what the built thing is supposed to show/demonstrate. I've never used the teacher's guide, but my kids love building the stuff.

There are a few different teaching modules on Aha! Science, too. http://www.learning.com $15/student per year and there are 33 different themed units each with teaching modules, online games, activities and journalling opportunities.

HTH

Do you use this site? Do you like it and is it comprehensive as a curricula or just a supplement?

Bill, I think you've gotten some wonderful suggestions here. The Cartoon Guide to Physics might be too advanced but some concepts could be okay and it's super cool.

But, above all else, when fun with Newton and his buddies is a must, you will need "Mini-weapons of Mass Instruction: Build the Implements of Spitball Warfare". No boy should be without it...well, that and a marshmallow shooter, a good reaction bowl, some uranium marbles, flaming magnesium goo, several cans of silly string, and ....well, your boy is only seven, I should save the worst of my zany science advice until he's older.

Faith

The Flying Circus of Physics by Walker. There's a book on amazon, supporting website of the same name, and a pbs series. I have the book, but now I'm thinking I should introduce her to the rest! Oh, and as far as whether the book is good, well honestly I got it and put it on the shelf in my "oh, let's do that someday" section. But the idea is cool enough to be worth mentioning. It wasn't original to me. A more sciencey person on the hs board mentioned this particular book, hence my getting it.

But, above all else, when fun with Newton and his buddies is a must, you will need "Mini-weapons of Mass Instruction: Build the Implements of Spitball Warfare". No boy should be without it...

The girl in our house likes this book too. Gives her a way to discourse with the males in Sunday School. :)

PS. I assume you already saw the posts lately recommending the series "Stop Faking It" and the practical (lab books) for the singapore science?

Edited by OhElizabeth

Just some random stuff we have used over the years:

Hands-On Physics (Carson-Dellosa) - 62 demonstrations of density, force, friction, heat energy, motion, pressure, sound, optics for elementary school (2nd - 5th maybe)

Evan-Moor Simple Machines - work as force over a distance, machines to simplify work, levers, wheels and axles, pulleys, inclined plane, screw, wedge for 1st - 3rd, demonstrations, cut outs and work sheets

Physics Experiments for Kids, Muriel Mandell - Matter/Air/Water, Mechanical Energy, Heat, Sound, Light, Magnetism/Electricity for upper elementary, basic demonstrations, what you will observe and an explanation

Janice VanCleave's Engineering for Every Kid

The Wonders of Physics: An Introduction to the Physical World, Irving Adler - from the 60's and out of print and some of the info is outdated but just a reader explaining physics principles, aimed at upper elementary

DK Force and Motion

Kingfisher Young Discoverers

and of course the big usual suspects - How Things Work etc.

We'll be doing Education Exploration next year. Some of it will be a bit much for ds7 (who sounds similar to your guy) but we will do it together and it looks like fun.

We are doing intermediate, which is okay for my sciency nearly 9. Would have been too much for him at 7.

Who is the guy with the homemade vids? The ones where his kids are calling out the lever types. He has some on YouTube. Kiddo enjoyed the free ones, but I didn't buy the series. There are some fun ones with some older professor-types on YouTube as well.

Go on lots of factory tours and see how things are made. Be sure to call ahead for any age restrictions and for tour times. If you do TV, you can also watch "How's That Made" or something like that. Might be available on DVD through the library too. I'd also do lots of fun hands on with building anything - legos, blocks, connectifying things and all of that. Another suggestion is to go to children's museums and science museums as they often have a lot of hands on exhibits demonstrating different principles of physics. :)

I love MPH. I don't necessary follow the text book. but I follow the activities, (not activity book, just activity). Well.. loosely followed. For eaxmple, when talking electricity, I bought the stuff listed in the book, and few extras. (i don't buy kits) I demonstrate some simple principals and cut him loose for half hour and I come back check on him. and based on what he did, I teach few principals. and show him few things I think is cool to show. I do not ask him to memorize anything or write anything. I do also have RS4K. but again, I loosely followed. I guess I get the book to understand the sequence more than anything else

We did physics for first grade this past year and had a great time. I didn't find a curriculum I loved, so I made it up as I went along. If you check my blog link in my siggy, there's a link to my posts about science, which mostly used living books and hands on experiments.

For experiment books, I keep touting these old books - the Boston Children's Museum Activity Books by Bernie Zubrowski. They are completely great in every way. They take more set up work than quick experiment guides, but then they really let kids play with concepts and learn through doing.

My son highly recommends the following games/activities/toys :D :

Forbidden Lego: Build the Models Your Parents Warned You Against! Many of the pieces recommended in this book are not sold anymore. My son really enjoyed adapting models in this book with LEGOS/other sets he did have. I liked that by doing this he was challenged to go beyond the directions, think about what the piece needed to do, and then figure out how to make other pieces fit together to do that. (See picture below!)

Snap Circuits sets -- my son has enjoyed all of these; especially the Rover robot one

Power House Kit -- this fascinated him for a long time; he actually combined pieces from this and another kit (Fischertechnik, I think) and made a solar motor. It was really cool!

Fischertechnik Mechanic and Static I don't think I can sing the praises of this kit enough! It taught him so much and the manuals were so much better than the LEGO diagrams of just snapping pieces together. They have explanations and then questions for the child about how items work once they're together.

:)