Menu

If you moved to another country, where would you go and why?

Let's say you wanted to move from the US to another country that upheld democracy, religious freedom, the right for parents to homeschool, decent medical care, etc....where would you choose to relocate? It troubles me a great deal that most Americans feel that we are the center of the universe. Although I love my country dearly, I have to believe that there are other great nations on the planet as well.

What do you think?

Blessings,

Lucinda

We are seriously contemplating a move to Canada, and have several Canadian grad schools on our list (ETA: We have friends & family in Ontario). In fantasy land, Ireland (as to why... duh :lol:) or Australia (I even have a friend there now).

Edited by LittleIzumi

Being able to homeschool wouldn't necessarily shape my decision. If I had to move out of the country, I'd either move to England because I have a decent amount of family there, so I wouldn't be "alone" or eastern Canada because it would put me closer to family on the US east coast.

Canada or the UK, France(in a fantasy world where we would have work visas wherever we landed).

I'm kind of dreadful with languages, so that would be a big contributor. I have nothing against other countries, just wouldn't be able to get along as well with linguistic challenges. And I know embarrassingly little about daily life in Australia and New Zealand.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I'm in Canada (born and raised here, save for a few short stints in the US), and if I had to move elsewhere it would be Australia or New Zealand. I visited NZ about a decade ago and absolutely loved it. I dream of dh getting a 1 or 2 year contract somewhere in Europe or down under so as we could 'try out' living there.

We've already lived in Belgium and I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'd go to France, Italy, or Australia...and probably New Zealand, too. Oh yeah, England, Scotland, or Ireland would be dandy, too.

I can be packed by Monday...:auto:

And I know embarrassingly little about daily life in Australia and New Zealand.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We walk on our heads here, or wear weighted shoes :lol::lol::lol:

In reality I think you would find daily life pretty much the same as any western country. People go to work, children go to school, people in the city get stuck in traffic jams, people in the country have long drives to go shopping. The population is less, and everything is less build up, but that is changing as well.

Well I'm in Australia and would love to get out of here - so I'll happily swap with anyone who wants to move in ;)

My DH would like to move back to Canada - me - not so much - I hate the cold.

Asian countries are fun to live in if you can get used to the squish of people.

I'd like to live in the USA because my mum lives there but there are a lot of things I don't like about the country so it wouldn't be my top choice.

I think my top choice would be to live in a European country or posibly NZ if it wasn't so earthquake prone :D

OP, are you looking for countries that are as the US is intended to be - a free republic?

Yes, that's pretty much it. But really, I'm looking at countries where there is a good quality of life. I don't care about the American Dream in the least.

Blessings,

Lucinda

OP, are you looking for countries that are as the US is intended to be - a free republic?

:iagree:I don't know any other country that is a republic. Being a democracy is not the same as being a republic. I think that difference is hugely important. How many dictators are "democratically" elected?

Everything else is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I think Australia is an excellent practical choice - English language, good weather, politically stable, social security which functions relatively well for those who need it, and generally welcoming of diversity (bumper stickers aside - "Go away - we're full" is not very welcoming, and the sticker does not actually say "Go away"!).

If it weren't for language considerations, I'd love to give somewhere in continental Europe a try. I'm not too picky as to where!

Nikki (living in rainy Australia!)

First choice would be Canada. Awesome healthcare and Mounties;).

Second choice would be Scotland. Umm, kilts?!?!

Third choice would be France. Wine. Need I say more?

Ok, seriously. I would love to move to Canada. Canadians seem so relaxed. I would prefer to move to Nova Scotia, as my ancestors came from that area. It is different enough from the US to be neat, but not so different that we would have to totally revamp our way of life.

Scotland- History. I would move for the history. Nebraska is a little lacking in that department. Great healthcare, great people, and kilts.

France- Again, healthcare. Interesting people, history, close proximity to other historical sites, and awesome wine. Also, before my ancestors went to Nova Scotia, they lived on France. However, I would feel very bad about mangling the French language.

Well, I'm not sure that homeschooling would totally determine this for me.

I really want to live abroad and am considering it. For me, Thailand and Costa Rica top my list. My DD is part Thai (dad's side) and has family there. I think it would be amazing for us, and especially her.

We are seriously contemplating a move to Canada, and have several Canadian grad schools on our list (ETA: We have friends & family in Ontario). In fantasy land, Ireland (as to why... duh :lol:) or Australia (I even have a friend there now).

I forgot to list it but I would love to move to Canada as well...specifically Vancouver, BC. It is my favorite city. I'm only about 2.5 hours away so I do get to visit a lot.

I'm surprised by all the people who listed England, Scotland, and Ireland as places that they'd like to move to. Do you have any idea how bad the weather is here? Would it really not bother you to have highs of 60F with rain and high winds throughout the summer months? Ugh.

I'm not sure what my ideal place would be to live. Canada sounds nice. Australia sounds great, but I don't think I could handle all the creepy critters.

I'm surprised by all the people who listed England, Scotland, and Ireland as places that they'd like to move to. Do you have any idea how bad the weather is here? Would it really not bother you to have highs of 60F with rain and high winds throughout the summer months? Ugh.

I'm not sure what my ideal place would be to live. Canada sounds nice. Australia sounds great, but I don't think I could handle all the creepy critters.

I'm in the Seattle area and our weather is very similar to that! We do have gorgeous summers but it's June right now and in the 60s. It rained a day or two ago.

I'm in the Seattle area and our weather is very similar to that! We do have gorgeous summers but it's June right now and in the 60s. It rained a day or two ago.

Yes. I have a cousin in that area. I frequently see her fb posts about a bad weather day and laugh because the weather is the exact same here.

Australia.

Oh, I am here already.

As for creepy critters- in the cities they are not bad at all. And at least we don't have bears when we go camping! Well, apart fro the drop bears. Kidding. Bears, really? You guys have bears- and cougars! We just have a few poisonous snakes and spiders and they are far more scared of you than you are of them! No big dangerous critters!

The weather here makes up for everything, anyway. But...well, it is raining right now, but thats a very good thing where I live, which has endless months of beach weather and no rain.

Americans have said to me that its very similar to America here except that we are less stressed out, more relaxed. Sounds good to me. I live on the west coast which is in a bit of a time warp too, and I like it that way.

Having grown up in Bristol, I was amazed when I moved to the east coast of Scotland how dry it is. Of course it's pouring with rain as I type, but we get lots of dry weather. Temperatures ..... yes. I just stopped wearing flannel PJs for the year last night, and I wear sandals about three days a year. But I'm fine with that so long as the weather isn't too rainy. And it certainly makes the place green..

Laura

Im back in Australia now, after living in the Middle East for a few years.

I love Australia with all my heart and was so excited about returning home- but-now i have itchy feet!

I would love to just take off and travel all around Oz, but would also love to try life in a few different places.

I always felt like I should be living in Kentucky,USA- after a recurring dream I have ( and other chance meetings etc I have had with people from there).

Scotland is somewhere else I would love to live ( the weather wouldnt bother me)

Canada is also on the list, along with NZ.

Now on the totally ridiculous section on the list would be places like the Maldives, and the Seychelles.....*sighs*

I'd like to spend some time in Canada, and in Greece, but I'd always come back to New Zealand to live - and Christchurch at that... we'll stop shaking eventually, and it's teaching my kids some exciting new words like "liquifaction" besides, Auckland has volcanoes :lol:

I've always thought Italy would be a nice place to raise a family. They just seem to be very family oriented. I have no real evidence, just an impression.

When I was young, I lived in Spain and have always wanted to go back. I would try Spain.

Any of the English speaking countries, Norway or Chile. In my experience, it can be the place you really didn't think you wanted to go that turns out to be the place you love. So, I would stay open to new places.

Denise

We have been in New Zealand for 14 years. It is friendly, diverse, democratic, secular, and fiscally secure. It has decent weather, has beautiful open land to play in, is some what expensive, and has NO creepy critters that will hurt you. And they pay us to homeschool!

Ruth in NZ

And eventually Christchurch will stop shaking, and we will rebuild!

Well I'm in Australia and would love to get out of here - so I'll happily swap with anyone who wants to move in ;)

I know what your problem is:

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie- Quite happy to be in Oz but would like some short term adventures elsewhere, preferably Warsaw :)

:iagree:I don't know any other country that is a republic. Being a democracy is not the same as being a republic. I think that difference is hugely important. How many dictators are "democratically" elected?

Everything else is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Yes, that's pretty much it. But really, I'm looking at countries where there is a good quality of life. I don't care about the American Dream in the least.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Turkey. It's a republic, the leadership IS democratically elected (I just witnessed national elections), homeschooling is legal for foreigners, and the quality of life is pretty darn nice. Not many people think of it since it's 99% Muslim, but there really is segregation of religion and state and freedom of religion, just not freedom to evangelize.

If I had to live in a place with a good infrastructure and lots of modern amenities, I'd pick Taiwan.

If I didn't need those things, I'd pick the BVI. :)

I would not expect government nor its regs to be like the U.S.

I would consider Costa Rica. I've been reading up on Costa Rica. They have a national health system (not particularly great) or you can buy private health insurance for around $100 pp.

The cost of living is cheap - I could afford to buy a nice house on some acreage and have a live in gardener/caretaker.

Costa Rica is beautiful. I'm hoping to actually visit there later this year with an eye towards an extended stay the following year.

If I had to live in a place with a good infrastructure and lots of modern amenities, I'd pick Taiwan.

I lived in Taiwan from '87 to '92. At that point the infrastructure was very overloaded, but I hear it has improved a lot. Great people.

Laura

Yes, I do know how bad the weather is there. Bring gloves to Scotland, even in June. :lol:

And yes, I'd move there in a heartbeat! :D (I'm a native of the Pacific Northwest who is currently living in Vermont. I see no reason for any temps above 70 degrees. Ever.)

I could see myself happily living many places. We've somewhat seriously discussed moving to Canada, Great Britain (all parts), Ireland, France, Spain, Thailand, Costa Rica, and Mexico. I spent a summer in college living and working in Switzerland, and I'd love to live there again, or in Austria or Germany.

The only country I have visited that I definitely don't want to live in is Morocco. (I love the food, but I'm a bit too attached to things like the concept of everyone heading the same direction staying on the same side of the road.) Spain is iffy. I'd have to visit when I wasn't in the first trimester with twins to see if the food is really as bad as I remember. :lol:

I would consider Costa Rica. I've been reading up on Costa Rica. They have a national health system (not particularly great) or you can buy private health insurance for around $100 pp.

The cost of living is cheap - I could afford to buy a nice house on some acreage and have a live in gardener/caretaker.

Costa Rica is beautiful. I'm hoping to actually visit there later this year with an eye towards an extended stay the following year.

Our family spent a month in Costa Rica this spring, and we'd love to go back for another extended visit.

And we've had first-hand experience with both inpatient and hospital care there. :tongue_smilie:

Scotland: because the people are lovely, the country is lovely, and it looks like dh may be getting a job offer there soon.

It's been over 100 degrees here for a week. At night it barely gets down to 80. The AC in our van just gave out--again. We're in a record-breaking drought, and are fighting to keep our trees alive. Wildfires are constant: 3 million acres of the state have burned this year, and just yesterday sixty acres by our city burned.

Rain? You say there's rain? Remind me what that looks like again.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

We like that choice here! Or Canada, or Sweden. Or pretty much anywhere in Europe...

You're always welcome :D

Well I've done Scotland (would go back in a heartbeat) and England (less sure about that but there are very personal reasons for that). I miss my family and friends in the states, but there are other personal reasons for not moving there permanently. I would love to live in Australia or New Zealand at some point.

I'm a bit like Pa in the Little House books, I've got itchy feet, but I think for now I will stick close to my family in Sweden.

Three options:

Norway: I have family there, have visited, can re-learn the language, and it's beautiful.

Scotland: So DH can be in the center of piping and learn more about his personal heritage. :)

Canada: Right now, we're thinking Nova Scotia. Also good piping options, closest to our families in the US, and just a great place.

My dh and I have talked in length about this and have not found nirvana! Most of our first choices tax people way more than the U.S., and there are other issues to deal with as well. If someone does find nirvana, please let us all know! We would love to go to Germany, but the homeschooling woes there indicate some serious country problems....

I lived in Taiwan from '87 to '92. At that point the infrastructure was very overloaded, but I hear it has improved a lot. Great people.

Laura

Yes, I think it has, but I didn't know the "before." :)

Even more important than the great people is the great food!!! :drool5:

just a caution....

having lived in four different countries, do not underestimate the hard work that goes into emigrating.... it has taken us about three years in each place to feel fully at home, and probably 10 years until our instinctive reactions switch to the new cultural norm consistently....

not just all the paper work, but the daily moments where your instinctive reactions are not the most helpful ones. the body language, the spoken language, the cultural norms, the different reactions, the differing sense of personal responsibility, collective responsibility... etc, etc.

so i'd go back to canada and england in a hearbeat.... not so much to germany or the usa (where we are now).

we have spent three one-month stints in australia, and loved it, but living there would be different.

fwiw,

ann